Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) - Rhinelander Brewing Company

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)

poor

Rhinelander Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: chinchill on 12-16-2012)
3.43/5  rDev +39.4%

I don't quite understand the hate behind this beer. For $2.29 at the local Trader Joe's and at 8.4% ABV with a decent taste, it is pretty good value.

The taste isn't very hoppy or scream 'IPA' let alone 'double IPA', but it isn't bad tasting. I had low standards for this beer considering it's price though.

Mouthfeel is average. Not extremely alcoholic considering the high ABV. It's much heartier than your average highly consumed beer which is good.

Appearance is average. Little to no head which is a disappointment. Cloudy orange.

Overall, this beer *isn't* great, but I don't think it's dissevering of an extremely low rating. It has a slightly above average taste, and I would buy it again if I was in the mood. Great beer to take the edge off if you want to avoid the big brands just for only $2.29.

JoshPalmer, Jun 12, 2014
2.73/5  rDev +11%

Wife picked this up at TJ’s for about $2 a bomber. Uh-oh. Well at least she brought me something back, eh? Popped the top and this thing right off the bat was smelling like a Budweiser straight from the bottle . Double oh-no’s!

Pours a dark amber colored ale with a big time cream colored head. Impressed with the lacing and staying power…..which disappears soon after I wrote that. Hmmmm.

The aroma is definitely improved since the pour into a glass. Big malts up front, toast, orange, biscuit and a touch of dankness.

The taste is very much on the sweet side. This is a different style of DIPA going on here. Not sure the type of hops used, but the sweetness continues to overpower and even moreso on the aftertaste. Fruity and lightly hoppy is the mix and not much else. Each sip I try to figure out what’s going on here…but finally give up.

Mouthfeel is decent but the sweetness detracts.

Overall this just wasn’t for me. If you like a sweeter DIPA then the price point is spot on for an 8.4% monster….me….I prefer a hop bomb-ruin the palate-type of DIPA. I’ll still keep my beautiful wife, but this “twin screw steamer” screwed me. I’ll be giving my paperboy his $2….cuz he wants his $2.

kaseydad, Nov 03, 2013

Alpha309, Yesterday at 12:18 AM

wrightst, Nov 11, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +42.3%

paulish, Nov 09, 2014
2.6/5  rDev +5.7%

Kraty1, Nov 08, 2014
1.25/5  rDev -49.2%

One of the only beers I've poured out. Aggressively alcoholic. Even for how cheap it is, not worth your dime.

everythingiszen, Nov 07, 2014
1.8/5  rDev -26.8%

Beer_Man_Dan, Nov 06, 2014
2.5/5  rDev +1.6%

Poured from a bottle into a pint beer beer mug.

Appearance- Golden brown with a two finger head the dissipates quickly. Some lacing.

Smell- There are hops in here? Trying hard to smell them. Now that I am near the end of the glass, there is definitely a chemical smell going on that I don' like.

Taste- The taste isn't bad, but not what I expect from a double IPA. Nowhere near, actually.

Mouthfeel- Verdict is still out on this. The alcohol is definitely there.

Overall- I will not buy this again - even though it was cheap at Trader Joes. There are too many great double I.P.A. s out there. But it is keeping me warm during our first winter storm of the year here in Maine.

hoppygram, Nov 02, 2014

CED, Oct 03, 2014
1.5/5  rDev -39%

Pudleduk, Sep 30, 2014

Hoppy_Hippy, Sep 28, 2014

This is not remotely close to what a double IPA should be. There is no noticeable hop flavor or aroma. It's certainly strong enough, even closing in on fusel-ly. It's also bitter enough for the strength but would be better described as an old ale or barleywine.

Bought at Trader Joe's, no clue how long it's been on the shelf.

uranage161, Sep 25, 2014