Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer) - Rhinelander Brewing Company

Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)Boatswain Double IPA (Twin Screw Steamer)

poor

Rhinelander Brewing Company visit their website
Wisconsin, United States

(Beer added by: chinchill on 12-16-2012)
2.65/5  rDev +7.3%

Appearance: Big bubbles and great thin layer of foam. Pinkish copper in hue.

Smell: Very weak for a DIPA. Sweet grapefruit and malt liquor. Not a bad smell, just nothing really to speak of.

Taste/Mouthfeel: Sweet, thick caramel and a strong metallic finish. The finish is what really "screws" this up. Mouthfeel is quite syrup, but not awful overall.

Overall Drinkability: Did I enjoy this beer? No. Did I hate it like a lot of people? Probably not.

3.25/5  rDev +31.6%

1.35/5  rDev -45.3%

This was very disappointing. I know it's a generic brand type of beer, being brewed for Trader Joe's, but I still expected much better than this. It tasted like a low quality old man sort of beer except concentrated. There was some bitterness, but nothing in the way of pleasant hop aroma or flavor. I really don't understand the purpose of putting a beer like this out on the market.

3.5/5  rDev +41.7%

1.99/5  rDev -19.4%
look: 4 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

What rating does Olde English 800 get?
'cause that's what I rate this.

Someone told this brewery that IPAs were selling well, and it's like they shrugged their shoulders and said, "If you say so..."

I don't find it horribly offensive as several reviewers do; it's just that I find no merit.

Appearance: this beer's strong point. Nice clear raw honey with a firm enough head that degrades into a thin film and very light lacing.

Smell: old beer and alcohol. I'm going to stick with the same smell as Olde English 800.

Taste: old beer and alcohol. Minimal hops flavor compared to my favorite hops-bombs. Slightly more hops flavor than Coors.

Mouthfeel: I don't know how to rate mouthfeel.

Overall: it'll get you drunk, son. That's about all it's got to recommend for itself.

1.58/5  rDev -36%

A - Amber/ brown. Small head which quickly disappeared. No lacing.
S - Sweet in a malty dextrose way, which makes me nervous. Maraschino cherries. Soap. Cough syrup.
T - Begins creamy, building expectations for something good, but rapidly devolves into oppressive soap and coppery metal flavors. Intense nuttyness too like a weird amaretto.
M - That bitter metallic twang just goes on and on. Serious sensation of pennies on the tongue.
O - This is a kissing cousin of the Malt Liquor clan. It's cheap, yes, and it goes down like a mouthful of the loose change you used to buy it. Avoid.

3.25/5  rDev +31.6%

1.58/5  rDev -36%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 1.75

Poured from a 22 oz bomber purchased at Trader Joe's for $2.99 or something.

Has a very nice honey amber color, with strong carbonation resulting in a fluffy off-white head that evaporated quickly with almost no lacing.

The smell is really off, not smelling like hops or malt. Smells more like cheap beer that has sat out overnight after a frat party. Not inviting at all.

The taste is the least balanced of any "craft" beer that I have ever had. Very sweet up front, followed almost immediately by a bitterness with no complexity. No citrus, no floral, just extreme, lingering bitterness.

Yes, I can feel it in my mouth. Kind of wishing at this point that I wasn't.

Overall, this is one of the worst non-mass-market beers that I've ever had. I actually poured most of the bottle down the drain, which for me is like sacrilege.

3.21/5  rDev +30%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Looks really good on a slow pour into a Redhook ESB Tulip. Had to slow down and let the beautiful head subside and finish a complete pour before drinking. Patient drinker tonight.

I have no idea of the bottling date. I have consumed this beer quite a few times before. This is my review.

Sweet smelling brew of sugar, wet straw, faint horrendous hint of rotting ginko fruit (yuck!), alcohol, hint of marigolds and daisies (flowers that smell like something dead), and yes, I do smell hops intensely as well, a bit like a wet mowed lawn in this case. Not bad.

Legs of lace follow my quaffs with a slender ladder persisting upon completion of the draught.

Taste arrives with alcohol right up front for me, followed by a sweet malt cloyed by something acetic and then ester, but all good, as a general hop infusion slams away doubting taste-buds. In fact this bottle surprises me with how good it tastes. I do not expect a great deal from this budget fare. I expect something to drink with dinner that is not revolting. I am enjoying this.

Mouthfeel is wonderful! Just the right amount of carbonation for me. But I manage my pours, and pick my glassware. You always know beer is not water. But this is like a hopped up carbonated honey drink. Maybe this has adjunct in proportion in the recipe. Feel good.

Overall, I enjoy this brew from time to time. Lucky to have something this strong and cheap. Not perfection. A hard working beer for the hardworking person with only a little bit of change to spare. Beer snobs will have to seek something else.

1.1/5  rDev -55.5%

Appearance: Pours a clear orange/caramel brown…tons of bubble action going on…some off white head formed and hung around...looks watery and average…(3/5)

Smell: Bitter! Smells like a cheap beer, think a skunky Old Milwaukee…grains and bitter hops…(1/5)

Taste: Bitter! There’s grains, bitter hops, sweet/pale malts and cardboard…it’s overly bitter, disgustingly bitter…the bitterness overpowers everything happening here and has the classic skunky, frat party cheap beer taste…GROSS! (0/5)

Mouthfeel: Light body, medium carbonation…fluffs disgusting bitterness all over my palate…bitter after taste…(.5/5)

Overall: This may be the single grossest beer I’ve ever had…there is an outrageous bitterness that isn’t tasty nor does it leave room for any other flavors…I can’t believe people actually bottle this and I’m more surprised people buy this…DO NOT PURCHASE this beer, save your money…I suspect burning two one dollar bills with a lighter would bring more satisfaction…seriously, this is disgusting and something I would be ashamed of…(0/5)

2.75/5  rDev +11.3%

3.63/5  rDev +47%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

I bought this to break into the Trader Joe's market a little, as I noticed that they carry multiple beers from Boatswain. It's a little too sweet an IPA for me and not as hoppy as I would like a Double IPA, but still a good purchase and worth the money, as it is not an expensive beer at all.

1.5/5  rDev -39.3%

2.38/5  rDev -3.6%

Just shared this with my buddy Hank who had this review (that I completely agree with): This is nothing like a DIPA, I would barely say its an IPA. It has a slightly fruity nose with some citrus. Taste was malty, almost unfiltered, but hardly any hops. The bitterness at the end is the only IPA-esk thing about it. At $2.50 it was worth the try. If your looking for DIPA don't bother. If you want a cheap, easy ale, them pick it up.

3.2/5  rDev +29.6%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a glass stein.

Abundant head from an aggressive pour, the two-finger foam crown a pleasant off-white / light beige, the DIPA underneath an inviting copper color. Nice lacing and head retention.

Aroma has a nice malty bite with a hint of caramel. Malty taste, but a bit light / watery on mouthfeel. Not as much hop presence as I would have anticipated, however the aftertaste retains the hoppiness.

Taste is just average; my attraction was the brewery's name, Rhinelander Brewing CO (aka Minhas, nee Huber). Allegedly there will be a new Rhinelander Brewery in Rhinelander, WI, but I think there had better be some significantly better offerings to resurrect the old brewery's memory.

3.04/5  rDev +23.1%

Appearance: A slightly off orange color, with moderate foam and lacing.

Smell: Malt, caramel, and funk.

Taste: Caramel, malt, and funk.

Mouthfeel: Bready yet watery, creamy, with a hint of bitterness in the finish.

The Verdict: I’m torn. As a DIPA, it’s bad. As just a cheap beer with a big kick, it’s does the job fairly well. Maybe I’ll pretend this Trader Joe’s brew is actually a funky, slightly hoppy malt beverage and be happy with it.

3.5/5  rDev +41.7%