Tempter IPA - Telluride Brewing Co.

Tempter IPATempter IPA

Telluride Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

Beer added by: Dreadnaught33 on 03-02-2013

Ratings: 93 | Reviews: 12
Reviews by mtbdonn:
3.6/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can. Pours clear reddish amber with a medium creamy off white head that goes to a thin film and laces the glass some.

The aroma is sweet crystal malts with some piney fruity hops.

The flavor is sweet candy malts with some tropical fruit and piney resiny hops with medium bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation and a bit watery.

Overall, a nice IPA. It's a bit sweet for me, but I like the hop flavors.

3.75/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Poured a hazy amber with a short white head and light lacing. It's a big tasty mess of an IPA and I like it. The nose is full of juicy citrus and mellow pine. A bit of toasty, almost cocoa, malt pops out in the flavor, but those classic American hops dominate the flavor. The bitterness is average for the style, as is the body. It's closer to a red ale than most IPAs, but no closer than Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale. Overall, a solid beer. I like that there's a slight hint of roasted barley mixed in with the sweet grapefruit flavors. Check it out if you can.

4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

I am unsure who sent this to me. Was it #TheOldLady (now an ex)? At any rate, The CANQuest (tm) forges onward!

From the CAN: "Brewed High - 8750'"; "Named after one of the most epic backcountry ski runs in the Rockies, this Ameri[AN] IPA tempts you to dive into boldness. Deep flavors are created by balancing rich malts with robust hops. So good[,] it takes you out of bounds! Cheers, Chris Fish, Brewmaster/Co-Owner"; "Snow Melt, Malted Barley and Rye, Ameri[CAN] Hops, Yeast".

Given its potential age, I decided to handle it with kid gloves. The Crack! actually fought me and I was careful not to tear off the tab. They do not teach these sorts of things in school! I used a gentle Glug so as not to stir up any lees that may have been generated in the interim. I still generated a finger of dense, tawny head that slowly fell, leaving sticky lacing in its wake. Color was a pretty Deep Amber/Light Copper to Copper (SRM = > 13, < 17) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a grassy, minty Evergreen/Wintergreen scent that got my mouth watering. Mouthfeel was medium. The hops wasted no time in drilling into my poor, unsuspecting tongue! Shazam! This is precisely why I became a self-avowed, unapologetic hophead in the first place. Big, minty flavors washed around with an unmatchable bite. Warming, it took on a tea-like quality and I felt a moment of Zen coming on. Finish was dry, flowery, green and yummy.

3.89/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Slight chill haze. Gold, leaning in the direction of amber, with soft billowy, persistent foam. Hops are like leaves of a Geranium. Comes across in aroma faintly and flavor strongly. Not my favorite, initially, but my distaste fades to neutral. I also pick up a slight metallic aroma. For an IPA, the flavor has more sweetness than I expect, although it is not unwelcome. The beer feels like soft kisses in the mouth, initially, but finishes a bit prickly. Nice juxtaposition. According to the Telluride website, the hops they use are all hops that I have enjoyed in my homebrewing, but here I found them off-putting, initially. Although I would prefer different hops, it's not a bad beer and it grew on me with time.

3.91/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours the classic orange-amber color in the tall Timmermans goblet. Coarse but enthusiastic foam and a smooth spritziness in the mouth. Sudsy and light bodied with a delightful aroma of piney-flowery hops and something like sweet potatoes.

More malty-tasting than a lot of IPAs. The biscuity taste plus a lightly sweet touch. Fruity hop flavors with a distinct mango and apricot nectar taste. Really a pretty good IPA in the slightly more restrained style. From the 12 oz can purchased at Wilbur's Total Beverage in Fort Collins.

Pours golden amber with minimal head. Kinda disappointing. A very interesting and unexpected aroma for an IPA; smells like toast and jam with a touch of florals and grapefruit rind thrown in for good measure.Aroma suggests something more along the lines of an APA rather than IPA. Flavor follows suit with the addition of some pine and bitterness, showing why the brewers went with an IPA tag for this one. Not hugely bitter by any means still. A bit on the fuller side of medium moutheel for an IPA, with activity. Overall, very unique IPA here, IMO, bit I think I kinda dig it. Kinda.

3.53/5  rDev -7.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can $1.70 or something. Bright orange color, good head and lacing. Aroma is very fruity but not quite citrus. Flavor was really not bitter at all just a decent fruit flavor and malt backing. You can tell this is hoppy and while it does not hit the hop profiles Iike it is still a decent IPA. I'd probably buy this again.

3.7/5  rDev -3.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

a good beer as an English style pale, but as an American ipa it misses the mark for me. its way too balanced to let the hops dominate, too much malt sweetness counterbalancing, and for me at least, the hops are lost. copper to caramel in color, light brown almost, heady too, cream colored and lasting, nice looks. the nose tells me the hops aren't powerful enough. I smell as much of the sweet grains as I do the piney hops. the taste is the same, well balanced and very good really, but I bought this expecting to put down a few hop bombs, and I was let down as a result. as a drinkable pale or copper ale, I like it quite a bit bitter. fuller bodied and very brightly carbonated. another good beer from telluride, but it misses the style guidelines for me, to its detriment.

3.67/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Had this on tap at the kitchen in Denver, which is a nice restaurant overall.

The look is nice with a great frothy head with webs of lacing left. The body is a nice nearly amber color with some orange and gold highlights.

The smell is a little pedestrian, sort of reminds me of an IPA from a local brewpub restaurant rather than standing up to the greats of the style, but there is a nice pine note that helps it be pretty nice overall. It seems like the malts are a little bland from the smell and they are in the taste too, kind of that regular barley cereal type taste with some bread. The pine hops come out a lot more in the taste. Nice bitter notes in the back palate. Nice resins too, touch of herbal citrus. In the taste and smell, there is that soap kind of vibe that again a less accomplished brewery would have.

The feel is good, good carbo a little less frothy and full bodies than I hoped but not bad in any way.

Overall a nice IPA, better than average.

3.61/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

On tap at Freshcraft in Denver. Poured into a pint glass.
Appearance - light, somewhat cloudy amber in color, not much head or lacing.
Smell - citrus, grapefruit, very hop forward in the nose.
Taste - follows the nose, but the hops are masked a bit by the malts.
Feel - some grapefruit bitterness, but came off slightly flat.
Overall - for the price, this was disappointing. I passed over some much better beers that I'd had before in order to try this.

4.04/5  rDev +5.5%

bought a sixer of this last week in my first trip to Mr. B's in LoDo/Ballpark--a little afielod of my Capitol Hill haunts but it gets mega love on the Mountain forum so I wanted to give it a try, and it's a nice retailer for sure. But on to Tempter--a very nice American IPA, for some reason this is my first go with it. I guess I've had one of these every day for the last 6 days.

I would say in general, very nice, if not knock-your-socks-off spectacular. Definitely no off flavors, no flaws in appearance although it didn't pour a fluffy, billowing head and wasn't all that lively the carbonation was certainly within style parameters, just maybe a little on the lower side of style. Nice malt backbone. Hops were a)piney b) dank and c) grapefruit d) orange peel, in that descending order. Or at least that was how I perceived them. Not as big on the nose as on the tongue. They actually reminded me of some recent homebrews I've done and so I checked the website to see if I was right, and I had 3 of the 5--Chinook, Columbus (CTZ actually) & Simcoe. (The two I didn't get were Centennial and Amarillo).

I would definitely buy this again, a well made IPA hitting all the right notes (for me anyway) at a good price.

I actually didn't check, any of the 6 times, for a packaged-on date. Poured into my favorite glass and can tossed into recycling on the back porch each time. If this was older it might explain the not-so-powerful aroma...

4.25/5  rDev +11%

Drank from a can in Steamboat Springs, CO. Drinks smooth and easy with moderate carbonation. Floral and citrus hops with a touch of pine and a solid malt profile. Fairly balanced for an IPA but definitely hop-forward. A great brew to sip on after a long day of hiking.

Tempter IPA from Telluride Brewing Co.