1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Tempter IPA - Telluride Brewing Co.

Tempter IPA
No picture uploaded.
good

Telluride Brewing Co. visit their website
Colorado, United States

(Beer added by: Dreadnaught33 on 03-02-2013)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 36 | Reviews: 10 | Show All Ratings:
Reviews by tempest:
tempest

3.75/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Poured a hazy amber with a short white head and light lacing. It's a big tasty mess of an IPA and I like it. The nose is full of juicy citrus and mellow pine. A bit of toasty, almost cocoa, malt pops out in the flavor, but those classic American hops dominate the flavor. The bitterness is average for the style, as is the body. It's closer to a red ale than most IPAs, but no closer than Sierra Nevada's Celebration Ale. Overall, a solid beer. I like that there's a slight hint of roasted barley mixed in with the sweet grapefruit flavors. Check it out if you can.

02-01-2014 00:11:40 | More by tempest
nickfl

04-09-2014 16:46:49 | More by nickfl
mactrail

3.91/5  rDev +5.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Pours the classic orange-amber color in the tall Timmermans goblet. Coarse but enthusiastic foam and a smooth spritziness in the mouth. Sudsy and light bodied with a delightful aroma of piney-flowery hops and something like sweet potatoes.

More malty-tasting than a lot of IPAs. The biscuity taste plus a lightly sweet touch. Fruity hop flavors with a distinct mango and apricot nectar taste. Really a pretty good IPA in the slightly more restrained style. From the 12 oz can purchased at Wilbur's Total Beverage in Fort Collins.

03-19-2014 04:55:15 | More by mactrail

Gerred

12-29-2013 23:25:13 | More by Gerred
Beaver13

3.63/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

12 oz can. Pours clear reddish amber with a medium creamy off white head that goes to a thin film and laces the glass some.

The aroma is sweet crystal malts with some piney fruity hops.

The flavor is sweet candy malts with some tropical fruit and piney resiny hops with medium bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with low carbonation and a bit watery.

Overall, a nice IPA. It's a bit sweet for me, but I like the hop flavors.

12-17-2013 06:33:24 | More by Beaver13
RickityCricket

12-08-2013 02:47:24 | More by RickityCricket
StubFaceJoe

2.25/5  rDev -39.2%

11-24-2013 01:26:55 | More by StubFaceJoe
StonedTrippin

3.7/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

a good beer as an English style pale, but as an American ipa it misses the mark for me. its way too balanced to let the hops dominate, too much malt sweetness counterbalancing, and for me at least, the hops are lost. copper to caramel in color, light brown almost, heady too, cream colored and lasting, nice looks. the nose tells me the hops aren't powerful enough. I smell as much of the sweet grains as I do the piney hops. the taste is the same, well balanced and very good really, but I bought this expecting to put down a few hop bombs, and I was let down as a result. as a drinkable pale or copper ale, I like it quite a bit bitter. fuller bodied and very brightly carbonated. another good beer from telluride, but it misses the style guidelines for me, to its detriment.

11-17-2013 18:18:39 | More by StonedTrippin
denver10

Colorado

Pours golden amber with minimal head. Kinda disappointing. A very interesting and unexpected aroma for an IPA; smells like toast and jam with a touch of florals and grapefruit rind thrown in for good measure.Aroma suggests something more along the lines of an APA rather than IPA. Flavor follows suit with the addition of some pine and bitterness, showing why the brewers went with an IPA tag for this one. Not hugely bitter by any means still. A bit on the fuller side of medium moutheel for an IPA, with activity. Overall, very unique IPA here, IMO, bit I think I kinda dig it. Kinda.

11-14-2013 02:19:53 | More by denver10
BDeibs

11-13-2013 05:07:20 | More by BDeibs
GRG1313

11-13-2013 03:54:22 | More by GRG1313
southdenverhoo

4.06/5  rDev +9.7%

bought a sixer of this last week in my first trip to Mr. B's in LoDo/Ballpark--a little afielod of my Capitol Hill haunts but it gets mega love on the Mountain forum so I wanted to give it a try, and it's a nice retailer for sure. But on to Tempter--a very nice American IPA, for some reason this is my first go with it. I guess I've had one of these every day for the last 6 days.

I would say in general, very nice, if not knock-your-socks-off spectacular. Definitely no off flavors, no flaws in appearance although it didn't pour a fluffy, billowing head and wasn't all that lively the carbonation was certainly within style parameters, just maybe a little on the lower side of style. Nice malt backbone. Hops were a)piney b) dank and c) grapefruit d) orange peel, in that descending order. Or at least that was how I perceived them. Not as big on the nose as on the tongue. They actually reminded me of some recent homebrews I've done and so I checked the website to see if I was right, and I had 3 of the 5--Chinook, Columbus (CTZ actually) & Simcoe. (The two I didn't get were Centennial and Amarillo).

I would definitely buy this again, a well made IPA hitting all the right notes (for me anyway) at a good price.

I actually didn't check, any of the 6 times, for a packaged-on date. Poured into my favorite glass and can tossed into recycling on the back porch each time. If this was older it might explain the not-so-powerful aroma...

11-11-2013 22:11:15 | More by southdenverhoo
carteravebrew

11-10-2013 20:46:19 | More by carteravebrew
ArrogantB

3.53/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz can $1.70 or something. Bright orange color, good head and lacing. Aroma is very fruity but not quite citrus. Flavor was really not bitter at all just a decent fruit flavor and malt backing. You can tell this is hoppy and while it does not hit the hop profiles Iike it is still a decent IPA. I'd probably buy this again.

11-05-2013 02:07:55 | More by ArrogantB
pweis909

Wisconsin

3.89/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4

Slight chill haze. Gold, leaning in the direction of amber, with soft billowy, persistent foam. Hops are like leaves of a Geranium. Comes across in aroma faintly and flavor strongly. Not my favorite, initially, but my distaste fades to neutral. I also pick up a slight metallic aroma. For an IPA, the flavor has more sweetness than I expect, although it is not unwelcome. The beer feels like soft kisses in the mouth, initially, but finishes a bit prickly. Nice juxtaposition. According to the Telluride website, the hops they use are all hops that I have enjoyed in my homebrewing, but here I found them off-putting, initially. Although I would prefer different hops, it's not a bad beer and it grew on me with time.

11-03-2013 23:05:41 | More by pweis909
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Tempter IPA from Telluride Brewing Co.