Ass Kisser Double IPA - Ass Kisser Ales

Ass Kisser Double IPAAss Kisser Double IPA

Ass Kisser Ales visit their website

Beer added by: Brad007 on 06-28-2010

Retired in August 2013.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ass Kisser Double IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 290 | Reviews: 125
3.09/5  rDev -6.6%

poured out of 12 oz bottle into tulip glass

a: attractive orange color with slight haze and three finger cream colored head. nice lacing on the glass.

s: citrusy hops, malt

t: too much bitterness and maltiness, could use more sweetness

m: light to medium body with a bit too much carbonation

o: not too impressed by this one and i probably won't buy it again.

2.69/5  rDev -18.7%

12oz bottle. Pours a hazy golden orange with a medium creamy white head that retains well and laces the glass.

The aroma is sweet sugary malts and tropical fruits with a little caramel.

The flavor is sweet sugary malts and some fruit with a big watery middle and a decent resiny /charred hop bitterness in the finish. The mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and watery.

Overall, a subdued DIPA - too sweet and watery for me with not a lot of hop profile.

3.13/5  rDev -5.4%

A: Clear golden amber with plenty of carbonation on the initial pour. Two fingers of thick, creamy head which persists nicely and leaves plenty of thick lacing as it recedes.

S: Sweet honey, apples, bananas, and perhaps some toffee underlying a powerful boquet of hops that lend a combonation of citrus, grass, and spiciness to the nose.

T: Hops, hops, and more hops. There's subtle hints of the sweet malt flavours but they're overpowered by the grassy citrus hop profile. There's some alcohol taste towards the end as well.

M: Perhaps a little thin. There's a bit of harshness from the alcohol too.

O: Looks good, smells good, but ultimately disappoints with an overly assertive hop profile that obliterates any other flavours.

3.1/5  rDev -6.3%

bomber into a tulip. no freshness date to be found.

a - pours a hazy amber color and gave me a thin cap of sudsy, tan head than dissipated almost immediately. leaves some nice leggy lacing though.

s - rich toffee, honey, citrus fruits.

t - massive malt character up front, bready and sweet with faint citrus notes. a pine resin hop bitterness comes in toward the end and fights with the malt for attention. faint alcohol taste comes out as the beer warms. not much going on here.

m - medium in body, quite oily and slick, barely there carbonation, sticky finish.

o - meh, not bad but not especially good either. for a double ipa this one is seriously lacking in hop character, feels more like an odd barleywine than anything. becomes a bit of a chore to drink about halfway through the bottle. pass.

2.7/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured into a pilsner glass, this beer had a nice color to it. But generated ZERO head. It has a pleasant scent but I expect my DIPA's to have more of a citrus scent. The taste left something to be desired as well. This beer has a pleasant flavor I rather enjoyed it, but it is definitely missing something. The hoppiness is there in force but, its rather overwhelming. I love my beer hoppy so I liked that but, there didn't seem to be much else to it. Mouthfeel was average, the carbonation is noticeable, not TOO carbonated it felt good. Again, this is a very hoppy beer but its lacking a bit in flavor.

Ass Kisser Ales Double IPA is a good beer I would drink it again however, if I am in a mood for a DIPA (and I often am) this may not bee my first choice.

3.08/5  rDev -6.9%

Tried this one not expecting much. Delivered on those sentiments.

Poured a medium golden amber that was non-translucent and appeared to be totally filtered. Produced a froathy head that was quickly reduced to nothing more than an inconsistent lacey ring around the glass and a slight layer of cloudy foam. The initial aromas are not very robust and have an undiscernable hop smell with an overly abrupt malt scent. The tastes exponentiate those smells. Hops are definitely overwhelmed by a malty presence. I like my dIPA's to be citrusy, earthy. Definitely doesn't fit the bill. The saving grace is a very solid bitterness which sneaks up behind the maltiness, kicks it in the ass, and reminds you this is a douple freakin IPA. Been spoiled with Hopslams these days, bad time to try this meager offering. My bottle states a 7.75% abv. For $11.99 a 4-pack, I guess you can't expect much more for a dIPA?

Thank goodness I have a few Hopslams, Pliny's and Heady Toppers to remind me why this is my favorite style.

Cheers!

3.73/5  rDev +12.7%

Poured from a 12oz bottle into an imperial pint.

Ah, the folly of man. I walked into a liquor store while my phone was dead, and was torn between buying this and some fresh Stone IPA. The guy running the store said he had just got it in, so I figured it was worth a try, so I plunked down my 13 bucks for a 4 pack (Ouch)! It's good looking, with two fingers of head on a nice hazy orange body. Aroma isn't bad, with some big citrus hops and some big caramel malts as well. Not the west-coast style I was looking for, but it's not bad. The taste is actually pretty good. It's actually very bitter, which is how I tend to like my DIPAs. It's a touch too malty, but at least it's not too sweet.

The mouthfeel is full and sticky, and the drinkability is alright. Overall, this is a pretty alright beer. It's not the best DIPA and probably not worth picking up in the face of other, better options, but it's not bad on any level. Worse experiences probably came from the undated bottles on a brand that probably has low turnover.

2.58/5  rDev -22.1%

22 oz. bottle tried 15 Oct 2010. Served in the 0.5 L Adambrau becker.

Large foamy peachy colored head, moderately carbonated. Clear coppery color. Aroma is of resin and a faint touch of caramel. Starts slightly resiny hoppy. Touch of caramel. Maybe a touch oxidized. Medium body, warming alcohol. Finish is fairly clean with a light lingering bitterness.

There are far too many better DIPAs out there at a better price point ($9) to waste time with this. I am ashamed I purchased two and sent one on to a trading partner.

2.55/5  rDev -23%

when I first saw this brand arrive in MA, i figured it was just a gimmicky name, so I put off buying it until I read reviews, which affirmed my assumption. I won't buy a $9 bomber unless I've had good beers from that brewery or heard good things about their beers. It seems they started distributing this in 12ozers, so I can try it for much cheaper.

Pours very good for the style. a slightly hazy golden copper with a huge cloudy almost white head that sticks around for a while and laces in chunks.

herbal and floral hops intermingle slightly with crackery malts and some butterscotch and acetone aromas. not that old (5 months) but not at its peak freshness either. definitely a malty IPA as far as the aroma goes, but there is no complexity in the malt profile either.

a bit bitter, but with tons of bready, crackery, caramel tasting malts. The hops are mostly herbal with a bit of bitter citrus. The hops are evident in the bittering stage, but fail to provide a good hop flavor (or aroma) to go along with that.

medium bodied and prickly with a bit of resin and graininess left on the palate and a bitter aftertaste that mixes with some harsh alcohol heat.

Glad I didn't spend the $9 per bomber on this. Its a tough style to compete in given the strength of the competition. I will finish the glass and pass on this one in the future.

3.15/5  rDev -4.8%

What a terrible name for a beer and/or brewery. But, they got me to buy one. It's a case study, in marketing. Could the beer be better than the name is idiotic?

Let's see what they say…"Kick Ass Ale. {wait, now we're kicking, not kissing?} Ass Kisser Ale is a state of mind! Just as you contemplate the flavors of this fine ale you can contemplate sharing a bottle with a friend or your boss. Maybe they are one in the same. {not "one and the same"?} And then again maybe not! We are just sayin'!
{I think this was written by morons.}
Ass Kisser Double IPA is a rich malty ale that has warm carmel {sic} notes that open up as it warms up to your glass. {huh?} It pairs with foods with spice and aromas like asian 5 spice or curries. To get maximum aroma and flavor, pour this ale into a snifter style glass. This ale is made to take the edge of {sic} a long day.! made from caring hands that understand what it takes to have to kiss a little to get anywhere these days. Enjoy! {Incidentally, I corrected the places where words are separated without dashes to indicate, such as "under…stand", and "contemn…plate"}

This was written by mental deficients, and conceived by them, as well. I hope it wasn't brewed by them, as well. Here we go…into a snifter style glass.

Rich rubyness, tight off-white head.
Big, bold, and pungent aromatics. Beefed-up and all that rich toffee-ness, and all bitterness of an outrageous hop bomb. Reminds me of a barleywine, more than a double IPA. Or maybe that's where we are these days, with the blurring of the lines. Give this to me blind, and I'd definitely call it a barleywine, not double IPA.

Let's drink! Boom! Ah! Bam! Ooof! Ow! A full-on assault, no respite, no relief, no subtleties, or nothing. Thick, and huge, and abrasively bitter. Nothing but everything is in here, and it boom-shaka-lakka, blasts everything in it's path. Brash, indelicate, and over-bearing.

Full-bodied, full, long finish, but too, too everything. This is a roller coaster ride. One minute it's loud, next it's cool, then it's bubbling, bitter soup that confuses the palate. I should like this, card-carrying hop-head that I am, but one has to be discriminating, and here's where I discriminate.

3.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Pours an amber-tan color. Heady, hoppy aroma. There’s a piney, resiny hop flavor to this balanced by a touch of honey sweetness. Full bodied but not very chewy (for a DIPA). Of the three Ass Kissers I’ve tried so far this one is the only one I’d drink again.

3.12/5  rDev -5.7%

Bought this more for the bottle than what would be in it. Beer was actually a bit better than I anticipated.

Orange gold pour with faintest hints of red. Almost no head and zero lace.

Nutty, grainy nose. Some light citrus, but almost unnoticeable. Decent sized shot of alcohol contributes to the mild hop burn.

Balanced malt body against the alcohol and nutty finish. Caramel malt with bits of toffee. Boozy finish, with toasted nuts and more sweet caramel. Hints of grapefruit appear in the finish.

Body is a bit thin to stand up to 9%.

I wasn't expecting much, but the balanced flavors were a nice surprise.

3.58/5  rDev +8.2%

Poured a one finger head atop an apple cider body, cloudy, amber and orange highlights, lighter up top, light caramel head

Aroma is nutty malt and grapefruit

Taste follows the nose with a nice caramel flavor, well balanced

Medium body and some carbonation, relatively smooth

Overall a decent DIPA woth trying

3.58/5  rDev +8.2%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Part two of my introduction to this new-to-my-area brewery. It pours a clear light-tawny amber topped by a finger of off-white foam. The nose comprises light caramel, grapefruit zest, lemon zest, light biscuit, and a very light touch of cilantro. The taste brings in more of the same, with a bit of grass thrown in for good measure. There's a good amount of balance here, with the hops subdued enough so that they don't o'erwhelm, but pronounced enough so that they still hold center stage, if less ostentatiously than other troupes would. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a pretty dry finish. Overall, a fairly solid DIPA, one that prefers balance over hop-centricity.

3.64/5  rDev +10%

Appearace is cloudy and has a load of sediment. aroma is floral with some grassyness. Taste is almost dirty with hops. grassy and coppery rust taste from hops. Mouthfeel is resinous and sticky, which is what I like in a DIPA. Overall I feel i might have gotten the bottom of a pour or like my DIPA got warm. There was an unusual amount of sediment in my bottle, floating around.

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

Clear amber colored beer with a tiny white colored head. This is in the darker range of color I call IPA Orange.

Smell is sweet and malty with a good dose of C-Hops. Smells mostly of grapefruit and sweet tea. Slight brown sugar smell, honestly this smells like a Barleywine.

Starts out sweet and mildly hoppy and bitter, tastes like Barleywine. Sweet with mostly citrus flavor. Bitterness is mild but in here. Sweet aftertaste. They can call this whatever they want too, but it is a Barleywine.

Mouthfeel is OK.

Overall, this is a sweet and mild Barleywine. Needs more aggressive hopping to be an Imperial IPA.

3.73/5  rDev +12.7%

Intro: Split a 22oz in tulip glasses with a friend.

Appearance: Nice thick head with big bubbles that stays around and lacing that clings, lots of carbonation on the glass, and a light amber coloring. The head and the lacing is better than some in the class, the coloring is worse than others.

Smell: Subdued hops smell for a DIPA with very slight lemon notes.

Taste: Strong bitter hoppy resin taste and mouthfeel, a lot more than the smell would lead-on.

Mouthfeel: Some resin like coating in the mouth and very dry, at the end you are left with the bitter resin of the hops.

Overall: This is a good beer, not as strong in the flavor department as other DIPAs, but still has good hop flavoring, just not as balanced as others.

3.41/5  rDev +3%

Pours into a dark amber with very minimal head and lacing. Only a slight amount of film presents itself in the beginning.

The aroma is caramel malt and more caramel malt. There's definitely hops in there, but they're a secondary aroma. It leads me to expect a beer somewhat like DFH 90, but a tad less rich.

Surprisingly, this is a very light DIPA. There's not a ton of bitterness at all, but there is enough for some balance to the semisweet caramel malt. Sadly, the aftertaste is very brief, offering a nice finish which I would could have hung around a bit longer. Over a while, the aftertaste diminishes to the point where you wish it was gone anyways.

The body is a bit thin with overaggressive carbonation trying to fill the void. The finish is very dry and slightly sticky.

Overall, this has been one of the few DIPAs that didn't really impress me all that much. It tends to be a style I find always hits the spot for me, but it just seems that this one has far too much malt for the hops it provides, and it leaves a bit of a weird hop aftertaste.

I don't really like to bash beers, and while this is a good beer, it could use a little bit of polishing.

1.94/5  rDev -41.4%

Consumed 10/14
Poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours a hazy burnt orange, some floating sediment is visible, and a one finger of khaki sudsy head. Head recedes quickly to a film that retains and leaves sheets of lacing on the glass.

S: Nose is caramel malt and fruit...and not well balanced...

T: Taste is caramel malts that really dominate the profile with an oddly balanced fruit notes...mostly mango flavoring with an odd cough syrup like alcohol flavoring.

M: Medium body, medium carbonation, slick feel.

O: Does not go down easy, not tasty, somewhat filling, big kick, and not a very good representation of style. I tried to like this beer, I really did, but with each passing sip, the more wretched it became. This was a drain pour for me, and the first one in about 2 years.

3.12/5  rDev -5.7%

Split a 22 bomber with a buddy.

A - Pours a dark, to a medium orange with no head at all. Maybe a few buubles float to the top.

S - Carmel, orange, Malty sweet.

T - Very sweet, Carmel, bready, orange.

D - Low carbonation and average body. sweet.

O - I think I liked the art better than the beer.

2.75/5  rDev -16.9%

A- deep amber color with a finger of off white head. Below average head retention.

S- big malt forward aromas of burnt caramel and toffee. Some leafy hops on the finish with a big asprin character.

T- very malty burnt caramel and toffee flavors up front. Minimal Herbal leafy hops on the finish with a touch of asprin.

MF- syrupy sticky mouthfeel with a medium body and average carbonation.

D- low drinkability. The malts sit heavy on the palate with the faintest touch of hops that a great DIPA needs.

Overall this was a very one dimensional brew that is begging for more hops.

3.09/5  rDev -6.6%

A - Cloudy orange with a thin and creamy white head. Decent retention and a little bit of lacing.

S - Smells heavily of sweet malts, gives off an almost rye smell which was off-putting to me. No hop presence in the nose. I didn't see a date on the bottle so I have no idea how fresh it was, but the store had just got it in.

T - Malts. Sweet caramel with not much else coming through, the taste was rather one-dimensional and bland. Hop presence does slowly accumulate as you drink, but all this does is leave a strange bitterness in the aftertaste.

M/D - Good drinkability. It had medium carbonation and felt smooth and slightly creamy.

O - I don't know what hops were in there, but they may as well have not even been in there. They didn't show up in the aroma or in the majority of the taste, so all they did was subtract from the beer (which was already meh to begin with). This was one of those beers that you get put off of right from the get-go when you smell the bottle after popping the cap. I've had malt-heavy DIPAs before, but this one didn't even come across as a DIPA.

I'd say a C+.

2.43/5  rDev -26.6%

Bomber poured into a tall tumbler, Ass Kisser is a murky burnt gold / pale auburn, with thin off-white head that leaves scattered lace.

Smell is malty, really dusty. Hops?

Taste is, uhmm, not so kick ass. There's a firm hoppy bitterness, but the flavor is really earthy, dirt, aspirin. Smoother then an epic fail could be, but as my taste in DIPAs go, it's not good. It's more like a 4x English bitter. A little peanut butter on the aftertaste, which I get from certain American hops.

Mouthfeel is a bit thick, dry, slick.

Drinkability is low. This is a heavy, hot gut bomb. I was down for the count.

2.96/5  rDev -10.6%

22oz bottle received as an extra from match1112, thanks man! Orange color, decent head, looks alright. Smell is boring malts, no hops, meh. The taste is balanced between malt and hops but the hops only impart bitterness and in a bad way. It was literally like bitter aspirin, not a fan of this one at all. Oddly this one said it was brewed in San Jose, CA.

3.38/5  rDev +2.1%

pours an unfiltered orange with two fingers of head.

smell is very sweet with molasses with very little else. almost no hops.

taste is also very sweet disappointingly not hoppy at all for an "ipa".

mouth is medium-thick with good carbonation.

overall not very good. way too sweet with almost no hops.

Ass Kisser Double IPA from Ass Kisser Ales