2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Ass Kisser Porter Pounder Smoked Porter - Ass Kisser Ales

Ass Kisser Porter Pounder Smoked PorterAss Kisser Porter Pounder Smoked Porter

good

Ass Kisser Ales visit their website

American Porter |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: champ103 on 03-25-2011)
View: Beers (8) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Ass Kisser Porter Pounder Smoked Porter Alström Bros
Ratings: 179 | Reviews: 65 | Show All Ratings:
Klym

3.6/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another Cavery share. Poured into a Stone nonic.

A: Pours black with red flashing out as light pierces it at different angles. Off-white one finger head that dies quickly but leaves attractive lacing.

S: Raw low-quality coco, roasted nuts, tamale husks, and some spice. Was expecting more smoke out of this and the smell definitely caught me off guard, especially as it warmed up a bit. Smells potentially interesting but also has me cautious.

T: Taste is pretty differentiated from the smell. Chocolate and smoke more pronounced in the taste, but the mysterious roasted nuts/tamale corn husks taste remains. Not as bad as I feared but not as good as I hoped it might be.

M: Carbonation and viscosity create a very creamy mouthfeel which while physically soothing seems wholly unfitting for the flavor profile.

O: The flavors are interesting and none of them come through in a bad or rotten way, but they simply don't hit the levels it seems they should. This beer takes big flavors, shrinks them, and blends them until you get a multi-layered, toned down, creamy brew. Interesting and original you could say, but mixing flavors with mouthfeels and intensity levels that don't match is what I'd rather say.

06-22-2011 04:31:32 | More by Klym
TempeBeerMan

Arizona

3.1/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a bottle into a dimpled mug.

A - Pours a a dark blackish-brown with two-finger khaki colored head with decent retention. Clumpy/patchy lacing.

S - Moderate strength aroma of chocolate, malt, and burnt pine.

T - Taste starts off decent with bitter chocolate, toasted oats, and a noticeable bittering hop presence, but then comes a harshly metallic astringency in the finish, kind of like I'd imagine how sucking on a nickel would taste. No sweetness to balance, just bitter and more bitter.

M - Light bodied, but with a decent creaminess which adds to an illusion of thickness. Finishes dry.

O - As a fan of bitter beers, it's hard for me to say it's too bitter but...it's too bitter. When bitter turns that astringent, it's a problem for me. Get rid of the metallic taste and add a little sweetness for balance and you might have a decent beer here. As it is? Not so much.

09-25-2012 05:33:50 | More by TempeBeerMan
tjkinate

3.95/5  rDev +7.9%

My first offering from Rahr & Sons and I am delighted to say I enjoyed this beer quite a bit.

A: Poured a deep dark brown with a jet black core. It produced a frothy 1+ finger head that exhibited reasonable retention and left a good amount of lacing.

S: Coffee and chocolate were the primary notes hiding the alcohol and overpowering any hops present.

T: As the smell indicated, coffee and chocolate dominate. What was nice is the chocolate is bitter sweet allowing you to finish the beer without sweetness overwhelming your taste buds.

M: Light and crisp, surprising for a porter.

O: A pretty straight forward porter, but that doesn't take away from its charm. Would like to try this beer again in the future and am excited to try other offerings from this brewery.

09-16-2011 15:22:10 | More by tjkinate
lwillitz

4.29/5  rDev +17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

22-oz bottle into porter/stout glass

A - shallow medium tan head over a body of pitch black with ruby highlights

S - mocha, chocolate milk, grainy malts, smoke

T - coffee, chocolate, malt sweetness, smoke, dark fruits, notes of wood

M - oily medium body (a bit lighter than expected), high carbonation

O - This is an excellent porter. Head retention is unimpressive and it could use a little more body, but the taste and smell are excellent!

11-30-2013 23:33:33 | More by lwillitz
Cavery

3.3/5  rDev -9.8%

Another farewell-you're-going-on-vacation-beer shared with Klym.

750ml into Stone Nonic.

A: A dark brown porter that kept a decent finger and a half rustic head. Light penetrates the sides of the beer to give it a very cola look, it comes off as a bit light in the visual for the style. The movement of the beer itself also makes me scratch my head a bit; just so thin.

S: So much bright corn product. You name it it's there: corn nuts, corn chips, tamale husks, and dried corn kernels. It favors some corn products over others in different temperatures, but really maintains a consistent corn corn corn theme. You get more normal chocolate/slight coffee smells with a bit of head on the beer, but dry sniffs result in corn-o-rama.

T: The taste is way less "corny" (hah), but the sweetness definitely seems synthetically whiskey inspired. The chocolate notes come through in a savory manner, a decently made Mexican mole comes through with a slight tamarind sweetness. The malt overtakes the light mole note to put it back on the corn train tracks. I'll give the beer credit in that it takes me straight to the American Southwest, but I don't know if I want to ride a wagon of corn to get there. Two notes (BBQ, Corn) Tex-mex cuisine beat me into a submissive "no more" state.

M: Actually a very classic porter mouth. Pretty well done, but I can't help but think if the carbonation was any brighter it might heat the kernels of corn in the flavor to create popcorn. That wasn't really fair of the beer, as the mouth really is quite solid. Good job here.

O: My brother (Klym) said it best when discussing this beer. "They need to rename this beer to border porter". Yes, it wears the sheriff's star of a Texas town, but does it need to do so in such a tex-mex manner? I would have liked it if the flavors went south of the border more often, and didn't make me feel like I was drinking the O'douls of whiskeys. Spice this beer up, and I'll consider re-thinking the corn wagon comment.

06-22-2011 04:52:22 | More by Cavery
codsmith

4.28/5  rDev +16.9%

A: Pours jet black with no head, just a small ring of foam around the outside edge of the glass

S: It has a nice soft and sweet smokey aroma. Very clean and no yeast aroma. There a slight amount of roasted grain coming through

T: A little sweet upfront but changes to a nice roasted and smokey flavor. It finishes nicely with just a very slight amount of bitterness.

M: Very smooth and light bodied. Carbonation could be a little better.

O: Pretty well balanced and fairly tame on the smoke, but still a very decent beer. Could use a little more carbonation to give it a little thinker body and more head retention. Going to have pickup some more of these bottles next time I'm at the store.

09-09-2011 03:28:10 | More by codsmith
MatthewWilde

3.9/5  rDev +6.6%

Sample: 1 bottle 2012

A: Pitch black in color, pours a small light brown head, minimal internal carbonation, not translucent (of course)

S: Moderately fragrant, smoke, pepper, espresso, and light cocoa, some elements of vanilla

T: Begins with espresso and vanilla with traces of pepper, but finishes with a smoke flavor quite reminiscent of beef jerky, moderately flavorful, complex and unique

M: Quite smooth for an 8% porter, mild smoky/cocoa aftertaste, not drying, lingering, or overpowering on the palate

O: A unique and smooth porter, probably my favorite ass kisser, delicious and worth a try

06-08-2012 01:59:14 | More by MatthewWilde
hackmann

3.33/5  rDev -9%

Appearance: dark murky cola like, no head from this bottle, little lacing with each sip but nothing stays on the glass. On the second bottle poured I might have gotten a quarter inch tan head with a tad more lacing. So, with more head you get more lacing? I'll have to bounce that one off my wife.

Nose: smoky wood for sure and it reminds me of light hickory smoke for this moment in time, mocha coffee is what I get after that

Flavors: wonderful coffee flavor for the coffee lover like me; dark roasted grains; a little dark chocolate bite;

Mouthfeel: short after taste, nothing seems to linger on the palate, slight bitterness on the finish, smooth on the delivery, low carbonation.

To the Point: A nice smoked porter. Not over smoked … not under smoked … seems just right to me. I personally like the coffee note. A fairly tasty porter overall but, do I want fairly tasty for 16 bucks a six pack. I do like it. If it was 9 bucks a six pack I am buy more.

10-19-2012 01:58:23 | More by hackmann
ManuelHerrera

3.75/5  rDev +2.5%

Ahh yeah Ass Pounder Smoked Porter Kisser! ... Wait I think I got that wrong.

Anyways, pretty good eh?

A - Pours dark ruby with thin head and lacing.

S - Campfire smoke and roasted nutty malts lacing the aroma, overall giving a boldness, although not challenging.

T - Not severe upon first sipping, the smoked bacon and maple flavors expand on the palate as you let the sip linger. It's not the most complex tasting porter, in fact it's very thin and surface-level, but that's not always a terrible thing.

M - Thin, quite carbonated, served at slightly colder than room tempterature.

Overall a shadow of the better porters, but a decent effort from the brewers.

04-30-2011 04:26:44 | More by ManuelHerrera
StarshipPoopers

Ontario (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev +0.5%

A - Nothing much to distinguish this in the appearance department. Pours a thin oily black with a bit of tan head that quickly disappears, not even leaving a ring. No lacing either, all around boring to look at.

S - Quite a strong amount of booziness, which really drowns out the other aromas. The alcohol isn't concealed very well, especially for an ABV that isn't outrageous. There isn't much else to the nose here that adds any more complexity, basically booziness, slightly charred malts, and sort of a raisin-like vibe.

T - The taste is redeemable. Rich chocolate makes up the front of the palate, with very faint hints of coffee peeking through. There is quite a bit of smoke makes it through into the finish which is good compared to some other smoked porters I've had. Booziness again comes through in the trailing edge of the palate and adds some harshness. Quite a long finish, leaves a bit of stickiness that I wasn't expecting.

M/D - Quite a light body, somewhere between being light and medium bodied. Mouthfeel is fine, though the lack of much carbonation and the stickiness that accumulates kills the rating for me.

O - Not bad and certainly well within the style, but quite simplistic. The body didn't really do any favours for me, and the taste was good but nothing exceptional.

It's a porter that you can't go wrong with trying, but I think a B is a fair rating.

11-12-2011 06:28:43 | More by StarshipPoopers
gleemonger

3.7/5  rDev +1.1%

Dark cola brown with pretty much no head at all after a regular pour. Actually, this pretty much looks like Coke to me. Though it does leave some lacing down the glass, redeeming itself from complete cola appearance.

Sweet smelling with a kind of dark fruit thing going on, similar to a scotch ale or dopplebock, but not really. Not much else, not picking up any smokiness, chocolate, roasted malts, or anything I was expecting to smell. Very subdued. Not bad, just not exciting.

The smoke comes through much more strongly in the flavor department, in a good way. I'm not getting the dark fruits I was smelling at all, oddly, just mostly the smoke and roasted malts. Not much in the way of chocolate, coffee, hops, or any of the other things that tend to round out a good porter, but I definitely enjoy the smoke and roast coming through in this one - not bad.

Moderate to heavy body with very little carbonation. Seems like it should have much more of a bite, but pretty smooth anyway. Not a bad feel, but not great.

This one's okay. I think it could use some work to make it more interesting, to compliment the smokiness which does work pretty nicely here. It's just a little flat and not very complex. The alcohol is not noticable to me, despite the higher ABV. Not bad.

06-13-2013 20:14:31 | More by gleemonger
animortician

3.25/5  rDev -11.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

22oz bottle gifted to me solely based off the label I'm sure. So I was curious to try this to see if it was worth anything.

A: Deep dark brown, with caramel colored head. Didn't stick around very long but left a little lacing.

S: Lead me to believe this was going to be worse than I thought, smell was pretty bland and undemanding.

T: Very strong smokey and roasted nut flavors. Fit the Smoked Porter bill very well. Could tasted french roast coffee and dark chocolate.

F: Smooth and Rich

O: Beer was better than I expected. A little to Toasty for my taste but I could still appreciate it.

10-31-2011 16:47:59 | More by animortician
jALEson

4.55/5  rDev +24.3%

A smoked porter, contract brew by Rahr. Pours clear, dark brown with lingering tan head. Plenty of scattered lace and thin head on surface and collar as it fades. No mistaking the smoke, as it is the star of the show. Perhaps, a little coffee along with the burnt malt aromas. The flavor is smoke and...I swear I just had a bit of crisp bacon chased with a swallow of coffee! The body is a creamy--medium with low carbonation.

05-21-2011 03:54:37 | More by jALEson
Corker444

4.05/5  rDev +10.7%

Poured from 22oz bottle into tulip glass.

Had about 2 fingers of foam and a great dark color. I love that! Had a nice tight smoke aroma that opened up and provided some bacon overtones. I love that! Nice rich coffee and with some acid on the palate to cut through. It is not a Stout and not a Dark Brown Ale which some of folks have made lately in style. A nice boost up from Stone which has been a consistent favorite. Would love to try this beer off a tap.

SOLID BREW!

05-29-2012 21:57:33 | More by Corker444
beeroholix420

3.99/5  rDev +9%
look: 2.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I got this in a 22oz bomber for $1.25 at big lots! I am just sampling out of sample glass I got at oktoberfest here in fresno.
APPEARANCE: its a redish brown color dark but very see through, not like most other porters I have had. Had to pour pretty rough to get any kind of head.

SMELL: first off I smell straight roasted chocolate, its got just a very malt forward smell, I also smell raisins..like chocolate covered raisins, no hop aroma what so ever

TASTE: smokey roasty chocolate right off the bat! Light Coffee in the background, taste a little bit of the alcohol which is not suprising at 8%.

MOUTHFEEL: medium bodied

OVERALL: good but I've had better. I do like the smokey taste to it, they did that well. I like it though! On a scale of 1-10 I give it a 6

12-23-2013 17:51:56 | More by beeroholix420