Alt-eration Ale - Hops and Grain Brewery

Alt-eration AleAlt-eration Ale

Hops and Grain Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Altbier |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: wagenvolks on 12-02-2011)
Reviews by AlCaponeJunior:
3.95/5  rDev +3.4%

Big head topped a lightly hazy auburn brew.

Aroma and flavor are spot-on altbier, I could smell it as soon as I opened the can. Malt forward, caramel malt, bready, biscuit, grain, maybe a hint of chocolate with a nice but indistinct hop bitterness that balances well.

Body is medium-thick and drinks like it's bigger than it is.

I'm a big altbier fan and now I have another choice, made better in that it's a local brewery (as local as we can get here in Tx). One more plus is that it comes in cans. Very nice job hops and malt!

AlCaponeJunior, Mar 21, 2014

The wonderous JenRay sent me some CANs in support of The CANQuest (TM) and I have fallen terribly behind, but I am getting caught up! Many thanks for these inclusions to the ongoing madness and I promise to do better.

From the CAN: "Sustainable quality"; "Malty, Crisp, Dry Hopped"; "glass ALT temp 45 [deg.]"; "At the Hops & Grain Brewery we know that good planets are hard to find. That's why we are working hard to save our own by packaging our beer in the most recyclable {CAN]tainer on the Earth. Aluminum!"; "Afew steps in the RIGHT DIRECTION: old wisdom applied TO NEW IDEALS; change is good, especially when it EVENS OUT A DOLLAR".

Once more, the Crack! revealed a brimful craft CAN and I feel as though I have gained something extra in the bargain. The inverted Glug revealed a darker beer than I had been expecting (dummy, me) and this produced a very noticeable pseudo-cascade which settled into three fingers of dense, puffy, light-tan head with excellent retention. Color was Brown – Dark Brown (SRM = > 22, < 27) with coppery highlights. Nose had a rich, caramel and syrup-like sweetness underlain by a grassy hoppiness. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was not as sweet as the nose had led me to expect. It was as though the fermentation had really dried the malts, allowing the grassy bitterness of the hops an opportunity to shine through. The sweetness was more towards molasses, which has an inherent bittersweetness. Finish was semi-dry, more bitter than sweet, but not by much. At this juncture, I feel like invoking The Most Interesting Man in the World and saying, “I don’t often drink Altbiers, but when I do, it should be ones like this.”

woodychandler, Aug 26, 2014

Tiernan, Mar 01, 2013

Clonies720, May 27, 2013

SmellsofMahagony, Apr 08, 2013

77apm, Jul 22, 2014
3.68/5  rDev -3.7%

On tap at the Whip In during the RateBeer Winter Gathering. This is my first beer from this brewery.

The beer pours a brownish color with a beige head. The aroma is very malty with a lot of caramel and toffee notes. The flavor is more of the same. There is a lot of brown sugar, caramel and toffee, as well as a little bit of nuttyness. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation. Straightforward, but enjoyable.

Mora2000, Mar 06, 2012

awalsh, Feb 04, 2013

Dello, Jul 16, 2014

valkyre65, May 14, 2013
3.93/5  rDev +2.9%

Big biscuity light tan head just sits above a clear reddish-copper-amber colored beer that seems to be well carbonated.

Lightly roasted caramel malts give the aroma a nice toasted appeal with some lighter hops presence giving this beer a nice balance in the nose.

The roasted malts give this a caramel toffee to light coffee taste with just a slight bit of the hops lending a very slight bitterness edge to this slight burnt tasting Alt.

A very light aftertaste that isn't really wet or dry on this medium bodied beer.

It seemed that the more I drank the more the light burnt taste came through, not really sure if it was in a good way or not. I wish I had brought more of this back from Austin. I could run some more taste tests, seriously.

LXIXME, Nov 27, 2012

jheezee, Jun 13, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

Dwtucker90, Sep 14, 2012
4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

A- Dark brown with thin light head. No lacing. Amber when held to light.

S- Light malt notes, some hop bitterness.

T- Sweet and bitter up front, mineral water-like flavor.

M- Good carbonation, smooth, medium-bodied, slight bitter afterfeel.

O- Good. I think I actually preferred this one out of a can versus the pint glass. Can seemed to better harness the aroma ...

imasloth, Jun 23, 2012

Bubbydubby, Jun 05, 2013

JamLand, Jul 02, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -14.9%

GRG1313, Oct 26, 2012

bmurray10, Jun 07, 2013

dvmin98, Apr 02, 2013
2.39/5  rDev -37.4%

Appearance is typical brown ale-ish. Smells a lot like a mix of Shiner Bock and a brown. Taste just does not hit altbier on the head enough. I'm not too stuck on "style," but when you say this is an altbier, and I get my tastebuds ready for an altbier, it better be an altbier. This tastes like a Shiner Bock with hints of brown ale, which is cool and all, but I want a real altbier, dammit. Too toasty. Oh, TX brewers, this tastes like the "old ale" from Southern Star. I'm starting to think US brewers just like the NAMES of STYLES and like to tag them to their random half-assed homebrew concoctions. Mouthfeel is so-so. Can't really describe it, just kind of there. Not crazy about this.

goochpunch, May 10, 2013