The One They Call Zoe - Hops and Grain Brewery

Hops and Grain Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: LittleDon on 04-09-2013

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 273 | Reviews: 39

2.5/5  rDev -36.9%

2.5/5  rDev -36.9%

2.75/5  rDev -30.6%

3.01/5  rDev -24%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Zoe
Hops & Grain
20130730
12oz can to modern pint
Pale Lager
5.2% ABV

A – Pretty clear but a bit hazy. A yellowish-gold color. Very translucent. Nothing standout or inviting.

S – Some nice hop smells up front, but then some slight butter and apple creep in. From the hops I pick up some grass, spice, and orange zest. I pick up a slight tobacco note on the back end I don’t like. It combines to be like slightly burned popcorn.

T – Grass, corn, and apple. I can’t pick up any butter or tobacco. There’s no rough grain taste, which is a good thing. After a few more minutes, I’m picking up more corn and apple than grass. But more importantly I’m now picking up some grain, and it’s smooth grain. This tells me the quality of beer is quite high, however it’s not a taste I enjoy.

M – Light-medium bodied and a little clingy to the tongue. Finish is only slightly dry. I was expecting a more crisp, refreshing mouthfeel.

D – It’s actually a decent quality pale lager, a style that I’ve often found lacking in quality. However, there are some off-smells, and I don’t like the taste of grain in general. I can see how someone could really dig this for a lager, except for the off-smells and the lack of crispness. Perhaps this batch is a little off. I’ll try it again next summer.
3.75, 2.75, 3, 3.25, 3; 3.05.

3.07/5  rDev -22.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

12 oz. can at Ginny's Little Bighorn on Sun., 12/28/2014 (Chicken Shit Bingo), unknown brewing/packaging dates, poured into plastic cup, drank over 30-45 minutes

3.08/5  rDev -22.2%

Bitter, 5.2% ABV. good foam. Aftertaste lingers a long while.

3.16/5  rDev -20.2%

12 fl oz aluminum can gifted to me by my flatmate and served into a conical Pinthouse Pizza pint glass in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are high given my flatemate's recommendation as well as its current 89 rating. Reviewed as a pale lager because the label clearly identifies it as such. 47 degrees. 5.2% ABV.

Served cold - straight from the fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a one finger wide head of white colour. Okay creaminess and thickness. No lacing sticks to the sides of the glass - even when I tilt it. Head retention is average - about two minutes. Average complexion and consistency.

Body colour is a clear translucent yellow-copper of average vibrance. Clean; no yeast particles/sediment is visible. Appears adequately carbonated. There are no obvious flaws here. It's typical of the style; not unique or special. I'm optimistic.

Sm: Has a far more aggressive hop profile than I anticipated - wafts of floral notes, vague citrus and accompanying esters, pine, and some resins. However, it does have a slight soapiness to it, indicating that the beer spent too long in primary.

Pale malts. Light grassiness. Maybe a bit of caramalt here or there. I expected more of a pilsner malt build, but I'm pleasantly surprised.

There's certainly some palpable bitterness here. I don't pick up on any yeast character or alcohol. It's a generally pleasant aroma of above average strength and I'm curious to try it.

T: Has a fairly strong pale malt foundation with some extra sugars coming from some source - honey, maybe? The hop profile is fairly assertive for a pale lager but still can't quite overcome the potent malty sweetness here. The hops are harder to distinguish in the taste than they were in the aroma, but I pick up on floral character, a dash of hoppy resins, and maybe a biteen of pine.

No yeast character comes through, nor does any overt alcohol or other off-flavours.

Overall, I'd certainly call it balanced and cohesive. Pretty simple, albeit not for the style per se. It lacks nuance, subtlety, and intricacy, but the careful balance goes a long way. It's not a gestalt build, but it's close. I do like it for what it is.

Mf: A biteen buttery. Smooth, wet, and refreshing. A bit overcarbonated. Decent weight and medium body. Pretty decent presence on the palate. Slightly oily. The texture doesn't feel tailored specifically to the taste, but it suits it well enough. Nicely executed overall.

Not sticky, astringent, gushed, hot, boozy, harsh, or rough.

Dr: It's a very drinkable lager with a fair amount of flavour and an inspired enough build, but it just doesn't come together to be anything special. I'd happily polish off a 6 pack at a party, but I wouldn't buy this myself. I'm glad to have had the chance to try it. Not a world-class pale lager, but certainly a pretty good one. I wouldn't recommend it to friends, but it hides its ABV well enough and I'm enjoying it for what it is. It'll get you drunk.

C+

3.25/5  rDev -17.9%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
The One They Call Zoe from Hops and Grain Brewery