The One They Call Zoe - Hops and Grain Brewery

Hops and Grain Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

American Pale Lager |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: LittleDon on 04-09-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of The One They Call Zoe Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.55/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Served in a tumbler.

Is it just me, or does "The One They Call Zoe" sound like either a badass western or a badass horror movie? Anyway, this stuff pours a lightly-hazy sunset auburn-amber topped by a finger or so of off-white foam. The nose comprises light toffee, very light biscuit, mild candied orange peel, and a touch of grassy flowers. The taste brings in more of the same, eliciting thoughts of amber ales and the like. The body is a light medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a rather fluid feel. Overall, a nice beer; like I said above, it reminds me more of a nice amber ale than anything that calls itself a pale lager these days, but that doesn't hurt its enjoyment any. I could easily see drinking plenty of this as an everyday drinker, were it available 'round these parts.

3.92/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

A: A two finger tall, bright white head poured atop the beer in the pilsner glass and receeded quickly. As it fell it left a dusting on top and some checkered lacing on the edge of the glass. The beer, a slighly hazy gold to copper color.

S A moderatly strong tropical grapefruit mixed with a lesser noticable noble hop aroma. Toasty, bready, grainy malt nose that hides in the back ground.

T: Very interesting grapefruit bitterness and flavor with the noble spicey flavor coming through in the middle. There is a slight sweetness that comes through but it might be from the tropical fruit flavors derived from the hops rather than malt sweetness. Malts are very subtle, grainey and bready.

M: Moderate amount of body, more filling than expected. Middle of the road carbonation. clean finish

O: I'm enjoying the mix of american and german flavors in this beer. If it were a bit drier it would be much more sessionable, but a solid beer overall.

4.24/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

A - Pours a hazy, orange with a slightly off-white head. Thin lacing sticks to the glass but still very nice.

S - Grassy hops, biscuit malt and a load of citrus juice. Definitely like this aroma.

T - Nice biscuity malts followed immediately by juicy citrus hops that linger for just a bit. Love the balance.

M - Medium body with crisp carbonation. Very clean and dry.

O - This is an excellent lager that I could drink all day. I find myself going back to this beer very often. While there isn't anything outrageous it's just done very well and deserves a lot of recognition. I can't say enough good things about it.

4.6/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

There's nothing huge or outrageous about this beer it just does everything right. A full flavored and thirst quenching beer that puts all pale lagers to shame. It pours a golden orange with a bit of hops and fruit on the nose. The taste zips on your tongue with citrusy fruit and apricot flavors and a mild bitterness to give it a nice dry finish. Very crisp and very refreshing. The Zoe is a bountiful beer in a can and a total home run from Hops and Grain.

4.53/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The One They Call Zoe pours to a golden color and emits a fragrance that is very distinctive, with scents of floral, biscuit malt, and fruity aromas dominating. The scent is very juicy and just begs you to take a sip while the foam, while not incredible, is still good and it does leave some lacing.

This beer has a very interesting flavor profile and is about right in- line with the direction in which the nose leads you. The taste of biscuit- like malts, bread, tropical fruits, and toasted malts are most noticeable, but there are other great flavors as well, like grassy hops and other sensory delights.

The One They Call Zoe is a very interesting, very tasty beer with a complex flavor profile and unexpected level of smoothness. You know this is no ordinary lager the moment you open the can and your nostrils are filled with the complex and very enticing aroma. The enjoyment continues as you take one sip after another, pleasantly surprised at the beer’s incredible smoothness and anxious to open up a second can.

Hops and Grains really overachieved with this beer and I find myself still thinking about it long after my sampling was through. It’s the best Hops and Grain beer I have tried so far and I enthusiastically look forward to trying more.

3.01/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

Hops & Grain
12oz can to modern pint
Pale Lager
5.2% ABV

A – Pretty clear but a bit hazy. A yellowish-gold color. Very translucent. Nothing standout or inviting.

S – Some nice hop smells up front, but then some slight butter and apple creep in. From the hops I pick up some grass, spice, and orange zest. I pick up a slight tobacco note on the back end I don’t like. It combines to be like slightly burned popcorn.

T – Grass, corn, and apple. I can’t pick up any butter or tobacco. There’s no rough grain taste, which is a good thing. After a few more minutes, I’m picking up more corn and apple than grass. But more importantly I’m now picking up some grain, and it’s smooth grain. This tells me the quality of beer is quite high, however it’s not a taste I enjoy.

M – Light-medium bodied and a little clingy to the tongue. Finish is only slightly dry. I was expecting a more crisp, refreshing mouthfeel.

D – It’s actually a decent quality pale lager, a style that I’ve often found lacking in quality. However, there are some off-smells, and I don’t like the taste of grain in general. I can see how someone could really dig this for a lager, except for the off-smells and the lack of crispness. Perhaps this batch is a little off. I’ll try it again next summer.
3.75, 2.75, 3, 3.25, 3; 3.05.

4.22/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

12 oz can pours a lively, hazed gold color with an ample cap of white head. Decent retention and nice lacing.

Nose is very juicy and tropical hops galore! This has got to have citra in it, right? Malts are light and grainy with maybe a kiss or two of toffee.

Im having a tough time thinking of a better hoppy lager than this. It is super delicious, thirst-quenching and has great tropical dry-hop flavor. Im already on my second six-pack and will surely buy more - perfect Texas summer beer - aka great when it is hot as hell. Mothfeel is plenty full for the style and well carbonated. Awesome beer! Well done H&G...well done indeed.

4.49/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This pours a light tan-golden color with light foaming.

There’s a great piney-orange and marmalade note on the aroma. It’s hoppy and assertive for being a session-worthy lager.

I get a crisp, piney flavor from the first sip onward, with an upfront bitterness which gives it definition. Tapers off with a light touch of a caramel-malt finish. Pleasing, effervescent, and all too tasty. I think I’ll have five more.

4.79/5  rDev +20.1%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

An absolutely fantastic and highly original lager. This is my favorite local beer made in Austin. It has a tart, crisp character that reminds me of grapefruit, but it isn't a fruity beer, at all. It has wonderful, balanced hop characteristics and a fantastic finish. A perfect beer. I only buy it now for special occaisons because I literally drink it too fast. I can't sip it like many other beers, I open a can, pour it in a glass, blink and its gone.

3.77/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz can, no date
Jester King

A: Hazy orange color. Slightly off white (egg shell) fluffy head. About a finger and a half. Leaving some sticky lacing.

S: Smells like a lager. Noble hops. Grassy grainy malts. Light citrus. Some biscuit notes.

T: You get those light noble hops up front. Grassy malts. There is a touch of light citrus there. Finish is crisp and clean, and refreshing.

M: Light to medium bodied.

3.88/5  rDev -2.8%

Pours gold with a thin, white head. Smell is heavy on Euro hops. Pretty tasty overall. Very hop forwarded. Nice soft malts. A little sweetness in the end. The mouthfeel could be a little bubblier for me, but it's solid. With this and Sympathy for the Lager, I'm hoping and praying for a trend of hoppy canned lagers in TX.

4.08/5  rDev +2.3%

Wow...this is one great canned lager!

Seriously, this is a great go to beach or pool lager for the dog days of summer here in Texas.

Pours a honey gold and leaves a decent amount of lace on my pint glass. A small amount of head remains for the duration.

Nice fresh scent. Fresh grassy hops, grains and a perfect amount of malt backbone.

Tase follows nicely with the grassy hops leading the way. Getting a bit of citrus, but not a lot. Biscuity malt is there but not overpowering. What i like about this one is how damn smooth it is. You can literally finish it within minutes if you're not careful...good thing it's a lower abv beer...making it perfect for hot weather day sessions. Has a nice dry finish that begs you to take another sip. Good stuff.

I gotta hand it to Hops and Grain. I'll be drinking a ton of Zoe in the upcoming months.

4.47/5  rDev +12%

A: Pours a clear golden/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Nice rings of lace left behind.
S: Lots of aromatic hops here. Fresh cut grass, citrus, lemon, lingering grapefruit. Toasted malt, crackers, and biscuit malts. A light lingering grapefruit bitterness. Excellent.
T: Just a touch less hoppy than the nose. Toasted and biscuit malts are more apparent up front. Though the citrus and grapefruit hops linger for a nice bitterness that brings everything together. Very well balanced, and excellent.
M/D: A light to medium body. Crisp and effervescent carbonation. So clean and a lingering dryness is great. So easy and enjoyable to drink. I can keep coming back to this again and again.

This is an excellent session like lager. At 5.2% ABV, it is just a bit high for a true session beer, but why nit pick? One of the better new (to me) Texas beers I have had so far this year. Highly recommended.

4.44/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

12oz can from a 6 pack I got at Specs Midtown (Houston TX). I'm happy to see Hops & Grain here as this has been an Austin local till now. Aggressive pour leaves a golden color with a finger of white head that fades fast and leaves a thin white line with little lacing as the glass goes down. I love the smell on this beer, right as a pop the can I get big fresh hop scent from this pale session lager. The taste is much more mild, slightly fruity, maybe a little grapefruite and brown sugar. I can see myself having multiples of this in one sitting. This is a perfect session beer, especially for the hot summertime months we have ahead of us here in Texas. I am very thankful that this is available to me now.

4.13/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A full bodied American lager. Yellow to golden with a minimal head and very little lace. Malty aroma and flavor. Biscuity, grainy, lightly toasted malt. Big body for the style with a medium plus hopped finish. Medium carbonation. Much closer to a German Pilsener than an American adjunct. Makes a great hot weather beer.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last