Overhead IPA - 7venth (Seventh) Sun Brewery

Beer added by: TheGordianKnot on 01-15-2012

Reviews by ninaturner:

3.25/5  rDev n/a

4/5  rDev n/a

Thanks, Paul! 32oz growler from the source.

A - Pours golden yellow in color, white head, thin cap, spotty lace.

S - More hop-forward then FYA, which is nice. Grassy, medium level of hoppy bitterness, lighter on the malt side, some floral notes in there as well.

T - Similar to the nose. A nice amount of hoppy bitterness, grassy, little to no malt presence, and the alcohol is integrated well. A vast improvement over FYA, IMO.

M - Light body, good carbonation, oily finish.

O - Really enjoyed this one. It's light, hoppy, and very refreshing. Would drink this one early & often, but couldn't go too crazy with the alcohol on this one. Good stuff. (653 characters)

3.58/5  rDev n/a

Thanks to Sean for sharing this, as well as a number of other 7venth Sun offerings. Served in a Surly Darkness glass.

A - Looks a lot like FYA, but with a more-complete cap and a bit of spotty lacework.

S - Sharp pine, grass, and citrus hops, and perhaps a faint hint of alcohol. Malt has more in the way of bread and grain flavors than the pale ale.

T - Orange citrus and bready malts, with low-to-moderate bitterness. Alcohol is better hidden than in the aroma, but otherwise this loses a bit of depth.

M - Medium body, smooth texture, soft carbonation, and no alcohol warmth. Quite easy to drink.

D - It's better than the pale ale, but I'd still reach for a Jai Alai if I was in the Tampa area. These guys are still pretty new so perhaps they'll tweak the recipe a bit down the road. (791 characters)

2.5/5  rDev n/a

3.89/5  rDev n/a

Served as a regular at the brewery. Listed the abv, but I didn't note it though I believe it was high 6 or low 7 percent. IPA brewed with Simcoe and Amarillo...

A- Dark amber orange color. Small head, dies in a minute. Leaves a surprisingly nice psychedelic lacing swirl.

S- Simcoe + amarillo = weed... I think I'm getting contact eye from this aroma... Best contact eye I ever got, though! Haha... Piney and dank earthy goodness. Nice caramel backbone with a kiss of hazelnut. Oh, and did I mention the obvious THC?

T/M- Bitter upfront, not much of a transition. After the bitterness settles, it's a lot of pine needles, dirty wood, and earthy tones that really show. This is a side of these hops I haven't seen to THIS degree; seriously, this is a mouthful. There we go, as it warms some bitter orange peel shows its face to battle the earthy pine hops. Medium body, its fairly big. Moderate carbonation, I think they really stayed middle of the road with the feel- not going to one extreme, and it works with the profile. Any more citrus or fruit flavors and I'd want more carbonation.

O- I tend to prefer fruit/citrus IPAs, but being the subjective person I am, I have got to admit how great this for an IPA opposite of my preference. Really liked it, didn't love it- but kudos for making me feel this way about a flavor profile I usually turn my nose up at. Damn, this brewer knows what's up... (1,403 characters)

Overhead IPA from 7venth (Seventh) Sun Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.