Icelandic White Ale - Einstök Ölgerð

2.25/5  rDev -41.7%

2.5/5  rDev -35.2%

2.63/5  rDev -31.9%

From bottle
pours a golden pilsner color
No cloudiness to speak of. A pilsner in appearance but hopefully true wheat comes through.
smells of pilsner maltgrasses etc is there wheat here?
Flavor is sweet pilsner
A little grassy but the predominantly sour wheat I expected from. A Scandinavia wheat is not there
decent mouth feel
OK over all over sold and under delivered

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%

2.75/5  rDev -28.8%

2.87/5  rDev -25.6%

I hate to go against the community, but I was unimpressed. I can appreciate subtle beer and this definitely is subtle, but I often found myself wondering if I was drinking beer flavored club soda. Personally I prefer a brighter white beer with a bit more impact. This has it's place and I would buy it again, but it just kind of struck me as "just being there".

2.96/5  rDev -23.3%

I am continuing the Bottle Divestment of the Summer of 2014 and this was recently dropped off for me by my local, in-person trader, tone77. I have the Sugarcubes playing to accompany this (optional, but not for me) review.

From the bottle: "N65/W18"; "Ale Brewed with Coriander & Orange Peel"; "Bottle Conditioned - Unfiltered - Unpasteurized"; "Our quest was simple: we wanted to make the best White Ale we had ever tasted. We got there with the complex flavors of the classic witbier, including orange peel and coriander - all brewed with pure Icelandic water and a touch of oats that deliver a cool smoothness that is uniquely flavorful and refreshingly drinkable. DREKKTU. SIGRADU. ENDURTAKTU!"; "Sustainable Iceland since 874 AD".

I noticed that there was a good bit of lees on the kick of the bottle, so I agitated it and set it back in the fridge to allow the CO2 to reestablish itself in suspension. I did not want a gush of my own making when popping the cap. It still built up a good bit of CO2, leading to a bunch of head, no matter how gently I poured. I got two fluffy fingers of bone-white head upon settling and they showed decent retention. Color was a cloudy Pale Straw (SRM = 1 -2). Nose was kind of light, slightly sweet, with notes of vanilla, orange peel and a light pepper. Mouthfeel was full and creamy, thanks in great part to the carbonation. Taste was more peppery than anything else, although it had a sweet orange taste accompanying it. Finish was decent, but I just felt like it was lacking Oomph!, especially given the hype that accompanied the label.

3.08/5  rDev -20.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.25

Look: Super cloudy light straw gold, decent head that dissipated into lacing.

Smell: Very subtle, a hint of pepper and citrus

Taste: Surprisingly bland. There was a very slight skunk present in the first few sips, but nothing bad. I kept trying to identify flavors the entire glass, it really just didn't taste like anything. Not at all what I was expecting for a witbier.

Feel: Really good, very smooth and full with a pleasant amount of carbonation. Definitely my favorite part of drinking this beer.

Overall: I LOVE witbiers and I wanted to give this a good rating, but it really didn't taste like anything. I don't think I've ever experienced that drinking a beer before. Maybe I got a bad batch?

3.09/5  rDev -19.9%

3.12/5  rDev -19.2%

3.16/5  rDev -18.1%

3.19/5  rDev -17.4%

Appearance: Hazy and beautiful yellow champagne white head, no retention, no lacing.

Nose: Yeasty, lemon, coriander, crispy, slightly medicinal, orange sweetness.

Taste: Orange fruit, slight orange peel, soft and calm. Perfect carbonation. Alkali or medicinal aftertaste.

Notes: Crisp and very well balanced. Soft water.

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Icelandic White Ale from Einstök Ölgerð