Icelandic White Ale - Einstök Ölgerð

Icelandic White AleIcelandic White Ale

Einstök Ölgerð visit their website
Iceland

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: thepeter on 01-10-2012)
2.25/5  rDev -41.9%

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

2.63/5  rDev -32%

From bottle
pours a golden pilsner color
No cloudiness to speak of. A pilsner in appearance but hopefully true wheat comes through.
smells of pilsner maltgrasses etc is there wheat here?
Flavor is sweet pilsner
A little grassy but the predominantly sour wheat I expected from. A Scandinavia wheat is not there
decent mouth feel
OK over all over sold and under delivered

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

2.96/5  rDev -23.5%

I am continuing the Bottle Divestment of the Summer of 2014 and this was recently dropped off for me by my local, in-person trader, tone77. I have the Sugarcubes playing to accompany this (optional, but not for me) review.

From the bottle: "N65/W18"; "Ale Brewed with Coriander & Orange Peel"; "Bottle Conditioned - Unfiltered - Unpasteurized"; "Our quest was simple: we wanted to make the best White Ale we had ever tasted. We got there with the complex flavors of the classic witbier, including orange peel and coriander - all brewed with pure Icelandic water and a touch of oats that deliver a cool smoothness that is uniquely flavorful and refreshingly drinkable. DREKKTU. SIGRADU. ENDURTAKTU!"; "Sustainable Iceland since 874 AD".

I noticed that there was a good bit of lees on the kick of the bottle, so I agitated it and set it back in the fridge to allow the CO2 to reestablish itself in suspension. I did not want a gush of my own making when popping the cap. It still built up a good bit of CO2, leading to a bunch of head, no matter how gently I poured. I got two fluffy fingers of bone-white head upon settling and they showed decent retention. Color was a cloudy Pale Straw (SRM = 1 -2). Nose was kind of light, slightly sweet, with notes of vanilla, orange peel and a light pepper. Mouthfeel was full and creamy, thanks in great part to the carbonation. Taste was more peppery than anything else, although it had a sweet orange taste accompanying it. Finish was decent, but I just felt like it was lacking Oomph!, especially given the hype that accompanied the label.

3.12/5  rDev -19.4%

3.16/5  rDev -18.3%

3.18/5  rDev -17.8%

Appearance: Hazy and beautiful yellow champagne white head, no retention, no lacing.

Nose: Yeasty, lemon, coriander, crispy, slightly medicinal, orange sweetness.

Taste: Orange fruit, slight orange peel, soft and calm. Perfect carbonation. Alkali or medicinal aftertaste.

Notes: Crisp and very well balanced. Soft water.

3.33/5  rDev -14%

31st August 2012: Icelandic or should I say ‘Einstok’ tasting evening at a mates house. He’d bought two bottles of four different Einstok brews. All poured carefully into a ‘Straffe Hendrik’ badged chalice.

First up was a 33cl White Ale: cloudy pale yellow with no hint of a head, the bottle being just out of date might have played a part in that, but I doubt it.

Mixed spice aroma with a citrus feel: the taste was similar, tangy, with a sweet and sour fizz; add a spoon full of yeast and some extra lemon into the citrusy nose and you’ve got the flavours I’m trying to describe.

Good start to the tastings, refreshing and thirst quenching: which is exactly what we required first off.

Icelandic White Ale from Einstök Ölgerð