Icelandic White Ale - Einstök Ölgerð

Icelandic White AleIcelandic White Ale

Einstök Ölgerð visit their website
Iceland

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: thepeter on 01-10-2012)
3.99/5  rDev +3.1%

Best before 11/19/13.

Pours a murky light yellow with a foamy white head that settles to a partial film on top of the beer. Foamy rings of lace line the glass on the drink down. Smell is of malt, grain, citrus zest, spices, and yeast. Taste is much the same with citrus and brown sugar flavors on the finish. There is a very mild amount of spice bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a good level of carbonation with a crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a good beer that is tasty and easy to drink.

3.6/5  rDev -7%

3.25/5  rDev -16%

2.25/5  rDev -41.9%

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 4

11.2 oz. bottle,

A: Pours a cloudy white yellow with a soft white head, great lace.

S: Gorgeous orange peel, very citrus, some raw wheat.

T: A citrus heavy wit which is what I like in this style. Lemon, wheat, but the delicious orange takes over, and I'm digging it.

M: Very light-bodied, does feel thinner than it should be, crisp carbonation.

O: Aside from the mouthfeel problems, this is a top flight example of the style. I've certainly been impressed with these guys.

3.33/5  rDev -14%

31st August 2012: Icelandic or should I say ‘Einstok’ tasting evening at a mates house. He’d bought two bottles of four different Einstok brews. All poured carefully into a ‘Straffe Hendrik’ badged chalice.

First up was a 33cl White Ale: cloudy pale yellow with no hint of a head, the bottle being just out of date might have played a part in that, but I doubt it.

Mixed spice aroma with a citrus feel: the taste was similar, tangy, with a sweet and sour fizz; add a spoon full of yeast and some extra lemon into the citrusy nose and you’ve got the flavours I’m trying to describe.

Good start to the tastings, refreshing and thirst quenching: which is exactly what we required first off.

I am continuing the Bottle Divestment of the Summer of 2014 and this was recently dropped off for me by my local, in-person trader, tone77. I have the Sugarcubes playing to accompany this (optional, but not for me) review.

From the bottle: "N65/W18"; "Ale Brewed with Coriander & Orange Peel"; "Bottle Conditioned - Unfiltered - Unpasteurized"; "Our quest was simple: we wanted to make the best White Ale we had ever tasted. We got there with the complex flavors of the classic witbier, including orange peel and coriander - all brewed with pure Icelandic water and a touch of oats that deliver a cool smoothness that is uniquely flavorful and refreshingly drinkable. DREKKTU. SIGRADU. ENDURTAKTU!"; "Sustainable Iceland since 874 AD".

I noticed that there was a good bit of lees on the kick of the bottle, so I agitated it and set it back in the fridge to allow the CO2 to reestablish itself in suspension. I did not want a gush of my own making when popping the cap. It still built up a good bit of CO2, leading to a bunch of head, no matter how gently I poured. I got two fluffy fingers of bone-white head upon settling and they showed decent retention. Color was a cloudy Pale Straw (SRM = 1 -2). Nose was kind of light, slightly sweet, with notes of vanilla, orange peel and a light pepper. Mouthfeel was full and creamy, thanks in great part to the carbonation. Taste was more peppery than anything else, although it had a sweet orange taste accompanying it. Finish was decent, but I just felt like it was lacking Oomph!, especially given the hype that accompanied the label.

4.2/5  rDev +8.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm meeting again with Einstok, and I'm hoping the second time around proves to be better than the first. A single bottle coming out of a 330 ml bottle, on to the beer:

Looks pale yellow in color wih visible bubbles running through the body. It's quite heady on top, not to mention it lasts long and leaves whisps of lace which cling to the glass. The aroma is a good combination; there's a sweet lemon juice note, orange peel, and a dash of coriandor which jazzes up the nose.

Fun to taste. What I've come to expect from a good white ale is here. The spice is pleasant and balanced, the sweet fruity citrus is ripe and balanced. Modestly spiced in the aftertaste along with the light-medium and somewhat creamy and crisp body.

Valentine's Day is not usually a day for white ales, but I think I have found some love in this Icelandic White Ale. I'll take it over a Hoegaarden and many other whites, that's for sure.

3.84/5  rDev -0.8%

3.58/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a pale white/yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of oranges, spices. Taste is the same, some wheat, spices, oranges, very easy drinking. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a refreshing and highly sessionable beer.

3.55/5  rDev -8.3%

3.88/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.75

Beautiful, towering white head....firm and dense, sits atop this golden pale liquid. It is a flowery, lightly malty smelling brew. Coriander and wheat, some fruity scents as well (peach? Lemon?). The mouthfeel is light...a great summer brew. Somewhat sweet. Highly carbonated, which makes it spritzy. This is a fine brew.

Icelandic White Ale from Einstök Ölgerð