Icelandic White Ale - Einstök Ölgerð

Icelandic White AleIcelandic White Ale

Einstök Ölgerð visit their website
Iceland

Witbier |  5.20% ABV

(Beer added by: thepeter on 01-10-2012)

3.52/5  rDev -9%

3.52/5  rDev -9%

This is about as perfect a witbier as you will find anywhere. It's delicious and refreshing. I keep going back for more. It's as good as anything you can get from Belgium and quite a bit better than Blue Moon Belgian White.

3.84/5  rDev -0.8%

4.25/5  rDev +9.8%

3.55/5  rDev -8.3%

Poured from 12oz bottle into small pint glass.
A: Pours a clear pale yellow with high carbonation producing a 1-2 inch white bubbly head with good retention. (4)
S: Nice coriander and orange peel. Hint of light toast. (3.5)
T: Follows aroma perfectly. A bit light/watery. (3.5)
M: Light body. Mildly sweet. (3.25)
D: A pleasant session beer. Decent offering. Nicely refreshing. (3.5)

2.5/5  rDev -35.4%

4.12/5  rDev +6.5%

3.64/5  rDev -5.9%

4.56/5  rDev +17.8%

3.8/5  rDev -1.8%

3.92/5  rDev +1.3%

I am continuing the Bottle Divestment of the Summer of 2014 and this was recently dropped off for me by my local, in-person trader, tone77. I have the Sugarcubes playing to accompany this (optional, but not for me) review.

From the bottle: "N65/W18"; "Ale Brewed with Coriander & Orange Peel"; "Bottle Conditioned - Unfiltered - Unpasteurized"; "Our quest was simple: we wanted to make the best White Ale we had ever tasted. We got there with the complex flavors of the classic witbier, including orange peel and coriander - all brewed with pure Icelandic water and a touch of oats that deliver a cool smoothness that is uniquely flavorful and refreshingly drinkable. DREKKTU. SIGRADU. ENDURTAKTU!"; "Sustainable Iceland since 874 AD".

I noticed that there was a good bit of lees on the kick of the bottle, so I agitated it and set it back in the fridge to allow the CO2 to reestablish itself in suspension. I did not want a gush of my own making when popping the cap. It still built up a good bit of CO2, leading to a bunch of head, no matter how gently I poured. I got two fluffy fingers of bone-white head upon settling and they showed decent retention. Color was a cloudy Pale Straw (SRM = 1 -2). Nose was kind of light, slightly sweet, with notes of vanilla, orange peel and a light pepper. Mouthfeel was full and creamy, thanks in great part to the carbonation. Taste was more peppery than anything else, although it had a sweet orange taste accompanying it. Finish was decent, but I just felt like it was lacking Oomph!, especially given the hype that accompanied the label.

4.8/5  rDev +24%