Original Slacker Ale - Round Guys Brewing Company

good

Round Guys Brewing Company visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

American Brown Ale |  4.00% ABV

(Beer added by: micromaniac129 on 10-01-2012)
Reviews by micromaniac129:
3.38/5  rDev -2.3%

Went over to Rounds Guys to check out some of there brews what with this being Brewpub season and all and oringinal slacker ale was my first selection.

It was an okay beer. Had a brownish amber color and a smallish head. Cloudy.
Appearance was lacking as it looked flat and lifeless.

Aroma featured a nutty malt aroma and also had a husky aroma too.

Taste was good, had a desent malt taste. Slightly roasted and a tad of molasses.

Course going down.

If I was out at a local restaraunt I would have no problem ordering this. It wouldn't be my first choice though.

3.61/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A big thanks to the creator of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. This beer came gushing out of the can despite no aggitation. Has a dark tan color with a 1.5 inch head. Smell is nutty, malty. Taste is also considerably nutty, bready, some malts, more like an English style brown ale than an American one. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a pretty good beer.

3.92/5  rDev +13.3%

3.63/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another CANQuest (TM) score, courtesy of The Friendly Greek, my latest go-to bottle shop!

From the CAN: "A British Style Brown Ale"; "Out first session ale! Our original plan was to only make higher gravity beers, but eventually we slacked off to make to create this roasty malty brown ale. Alc. by Vol. of 4.0% and 20 IBUs. While we have slacked off on the malt we still CAN say: 'No Monkey Business, Just Well Rounded Beers'".

Well, I have to cop to falling prey to the hype. I read some of the CAN reviews mentioning that they experienced a gusher and so I Crack!ed it open as slowly as possible, reducing the noise factor. Sure, it was pretty full, but nothing untoward was happening. I also went with a more gentle pour than usual and that paid off. No cascade, but a lot of foaming head that really filled the glass quickly and then popped and fizzled like soda pop. It was a quick two fingers of foamy, light-tan head that quickly burst its way out of existence. Color was a deep coppery-brown (SRM = > 22, < 27) with NE-quality clarity. Nose was a frickin' malt bomb! That sugary and yet low in ABV?!? SMH. Mouthfeel was kind of fizzy and the taste was (thankfully) not as sweet as the nose had caused me to gird myself for. Yes, it was quite sweet in terms of its maltiness, but it did not overwhelm me and actually finished semi-dry. I think that I would probably choose Schlafly Sessions Brown Ale over this one, but it was not bad. Damning with faint praise - that's me.

3.98/5  rDev +15%

On-tap poured into a shaker pint.

Appearance
Cloudy mahogany brown with 1 finger of white head. Moderate carbonation.

Nose
Milk, raisin, brown sugar and red grapes.

Taste
There’s a big milk character throughout this similar to a Sweet Stout. Sweet raisins with touches of ripe, red grapes. Brown sugar and toasted nuts. A touch of earthy char in the finish.

Mouthfeel
Light bodied, smooth and well carbonated.

Overall
I rather enjoyed this. Sweet, milky, roasty and easy drinking.

3.75/5  rDev +8.4%

3.24/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

High carbonation on this bottle. Popped it and poured a bit firmly and quite a bit of it was foam. Flavor profile is good, on a brown ale edge. Kind of a woody and slightly tangy smoky thing. The carbonation is definitely interfering with things. I feel like if this beer were worked on just a little bit more it could really shine.

3.43/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had this on 2014-04-04 in Columbia, PA

A - Initially, a crazy foaming mess as soon as I cracked the can. Got less than half of it into a 20oz tulip and it had a 4-finger light tan head that faded quickly and left no lace. I poured the rest of the contents in the glass, which resulted in a pretty transparent ruby, leaning towards brown.

S - Semi-sweet chocolate, mild-moderate roasted grain, spice.

T - Cherries, medium roasted grain, nuts, a little bit of chocolate, a good bit of hop bitterness although not at black IPA levels. Finishes dry with a bit of cherry/chocolate flavor giving way to light-medium bitterness, which then too fades away.

M - Light body and way too much carbonation; even after letting it sit.

O - This beer Is decent for a sessionable brown perhaps on-par for my tastes to a Yards Brawler. I was hoping for more since I've so-enjoyed their Berliner Weiss.

2.5/5  rDev -27.7%