Triple-Goddess Ginger Kombucha Beer - Unity Vibration

Beer added by: MarcatGSB on 01-25-2012

Reviews by donkeyrunner:
4.75/5  rDev +29.1%
look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Cloudy pale straw color. Thin white head fizzles itself out in moments which is typical of open fermented beers. Le sigh.

Smells like tart ginger. Tastewise TGG opens up with tart, sweet lemonade like too much Crystal Light powder in the mix. The ginger heat comes in back. Refreshing as all get out. Light, granular mouthfeel like bits of ginger will get stuck in my teeth. Maybe they will.

Picked this up awhile ago for the wifey on a snowshoe trip. She loves ginger and I figured it would be either really bad or really good. It was really, really good.

4.26/5  rDev +15.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this last week at Bill's Beer Garden (really my favorite kind of garden) in A2 and I really had no idea what to expect.

Wow! It was really interesting, and hard to describe- you really taste the ginger, which is great, but then there all these side notes- citrusy hops, yeasty tang, a little bit of crisp bitterness, but also balanced with some floral notes and sweetness- I have a feeling that each bottle/batch is a little bit different, so it might make for some interesting explorations.

A lot of folks have said there isn't a lot of head, which I found to be true, but I was raised on English bitters, and "real ale", which usually haven't much head anyway, so it bothered me not at all.

The mouth feel reminded me of a cross twixt a hefe-weizen and a pale ale, with a little more density/body than I'd have liked, but was quite pleasant.

My only (minor) complaint would be that there was perhaps a little too much residual sugar , which (as noted) gave it a heavier feel and sweeter taste (albeit with a fairly clean and dry finish, considering) than I prefer.

This probably not a session ale, but maybe a good end-of-the-nighter or one to have on Sunday after cutting the lawn...

On the whole, I would definitely say this brew rocked it pretty heavily, and I would definitely look forward to the next one!

2.18/5  rDev -40.8%
look: 1.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 1.75

3.99/5  rDev +8.4%

My second Unity Vibration Kombucha Beer.

They are a bit misunderstood but I dig them. I don't think there's any 'beer' here, but I like kombucha, I like ginger, I like hops and I like alcohol.

The most notable flavors in this beer are the vinegar sourness of the kombucha mixed with the bite of the ginger. At the same time there is a lot of sweetness here. All of this masks the 8% ABV. The hops are subtle, which is understandable having had hopped cider and mead.

I like these kombucha beers but I don't consider them 'American Wild Ales'. Drink if you like kombucha or something completely new.

3.04/5  rDev -17.4%

Pours a light white (yep,....a light semi-clear white) with no head but for a small rim of white bubbles. Looks a bit like water with some fresh lemon squeezed in.

Nose is 100% pure assertive ginger - period. It even has that peppery spice ginger nose.

Mouthfeel is actually medium bodied fresh, citric with crisp bubbles and a spritzy carbonation.

Flavor profile - wow! This looks like water but the flavors just come on like gang-busters. What a surprise! This is a giant hit over the head with big super sweet, rich, ripe assertive ginger. This is "ginger ale" of the best kind. I have to confess that this does not taste like beer. It tastes like a really good, well made, very sweet ginger ale. It has big ginger spice and a bold pepper character. There is a hint of "sweet/sour" in the flavors. You'd give this to your kids if you didn't know better.

This is all big bold sweet ginger soda. I love it - but as a sweet soda, not a beer. I believe that it's supposed to be a sour wild ale - it misses a bit, except for the finish where there is a slight light sour finish. I get zero hop character whatsoever in nose or flavor profile

Finish is big, spicy ginger candy and spice, again with just a hint of sour.

Conclusion: You like sweet ginger ale - this is for you.

You want a ginger "toned" beer that "shows" the hops that's supposed to in this one - perhaps this is not for you.

I'd give it a 5 for a ginger ale soda. However, as an "American Wild Ale" I'm not so sure that it hit its mark. More soda than beer, despite the fact that I like it. Judging is going to be tuff for this one.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

4.76/5  rDev +29.3%

very different and sweet taste

3.45/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Dogfish Head pint glass. Pours a light lemon yellow with a little bit of carbonation bubbling, but no head in the traditional sense. Looks a lot like carbonated lemonade. Pungent aroma of ginger and citrus tartness; a little acidic. Flavor is very tart citrus, mostly lemon, lactic acid, ginger and a hint of tea. Finishes tart with some wild yeast. Light bodied with nice active carbonation giving a decent mouth feel. As I poured and smelled this, I was going to protest the "American wild ale" categorization, but after tasting it, I have to say there is overlap between this and sour wild ales. This is most reminiscent of a carbonated, sour ginger lemonade, but with hints of lactic acid and wild yeast (I see from quick research that Brettanomyces can be part of kombucha culture, so the overlap with wild ales is pretty solid). That being said, this tastes less like beer than any brew I've had. Very refreshing, interesting, and unusual. Sadly, I'm not a sour ale fan and while fun to drink, the tartness was bit over the top for me after half a glass. Credit for it delivering what it promises.

3.56/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a Stella Artois mini-chalice. No freshness date.

A- Pours a hazy gumdrop yellow color with a white head that immediately dissipates to nothing. Minimal lacing.

S- Bright ginger and lactic acid with a touch of gaseous funk.

T- Tastes like organic ginger ale with a mild vinegary tartness and trace amounts of malt. The alcohol is masked very well underneath the unusual flavors.

M- Sharp and acidic with medium carbonation and a light body.

O- Not something I would drink normally but the ginger complements the kombucha flavors quite well. Would like a little more body personally but I know that this is the way kombucha is supposed to be. Not as good as Bourbon Barrel Peach but definitely better than the raspberry abomination.

3.55/5  rDev -3.5%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. Acquired at the local Binny's as part of a mixed four pack with the Unity Vibration Triple-Goddess Raspberry Kombucha Beer. My third kombucha beer from Unity Vibration.

Poured into a clear balloon snifter.

A - Pours a pale murky straw yellow colored body with absolutely no head. Sits still in the glass. No carbonation visible. In a lot of ways it looks like a glass of white wine.

S - Smell is a bit more pleasing than the raspberry counterpart. Less raging nail polish remover alcohol fumes, some natural spicy ginger, and some tart vinegar. No hop presence or oak barrels in the nose, like the others.

T - Taste is a notch up from the raspberry version also. Less booze heat, and more full-on ginger kombucha. Vinegar, ginger spice, bacterial kombucha cultures, & some alcohol heat are most apparent here. Sugary sweetness from the black tea used is also highly apparent. A bit of peachy fruit comes out in the mix, also. Again, no presence of hops or barrel character.

M - Feel is crisp, juicy, tart, and sour. A little bit of alcohol warmth, and some ginger spice clinging to the palate.

Overall, this has been one of the better kombucha beers I've had from these guys so far. Of the three, this one is a likely contender for repeat drinking. It tastes pretty much exactly how you expect from a kombucha beverage with 8.00% abv. A fine choice for both kombucha and beer lovers alike.

Unity Vibration Triple-Goddess Ginger Kombucha Beer ---3.5/5

3.28/5  rDev -10.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A: Slight gushing upon opening. Initially poured out a white color before the rest poured a light yellow color. It's cloudy, and some dark particles can be seen floating in the glass. White head was large on the pour and is supported by massive amounts of carbonation bubbles.

S: Smells like actual raw ginger, which I find a little off putting. Notes of cheap homemade wine and vinegar also.

T: Actually not too bad. I agree with other reviews in that it tastes like a very sweet ginger ale soda. Only slightly tart, nowhere near sour. I also get some light lemon and cherry flavors. Aftertaste is a little vinegary. Really this tastes like it could be some kind of soda pop.

M: Bubbles are very active in the mouth. Body is pretty light.

O: One of the most unique beers I've ever had, although I would not have this again.

3.87/5  rDev +5.2%

A. I was too lazy to pour into a glass so your guess is as good S mine

S. Smells exactly like a quality ginger ale soft drink.

T. Spicy ginger. Tart. Mouth puckering. Refreshing.

M. Glassy crispness and dry.

O. A great choice for a hot afternoon.

4.25/5  rDev +15.5%

3.53/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I poured this one into my snifter and got (for a second) a finger of what seemed to be white head, which was very effervescent. The beer itself is a translucent mild and muted yellow color, with a constant fizz going on. A little bit of sediment rests on the bottom of my glass.

Smells of wheat, wild yeast, mildly of vinegar, slightly spoiled green apples and funk.

Up front its a little on the sweet side. Sugar, green and red apples seem to dance with the ginger. The back end gets a little sour with a hint of funk and wet grass. The very end has the hint of a gardeny flavor that may or may not be the kombucha. After reading the bottle, I believe it is the black tea they brew it with.

The mouthfeel is light-medium. It is very carbonated and moves very easily. It goes down clean with no residue and is actually a little refreshing.

3.5/5  rDev -4.9%

4.48/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Okay, I had this 'beer' at a tasting last summer. We had a bunch of high gravity beers and A LOT of different bottles. Some guy from MI was the and pulls out this bottle and I had no idea what to make of it. Io really enjoyed it so I actually sought out some people to help me get it and I finally did. Here's my review:

Take this "American Wild Ale" categorization with a grain of salt. I've had over 1500 different beers and this is about as individual as they come.

I'm not going to give you the usual L, S, T review since this is a different beast. This is fairly highly carbonated and looks like murky lemonade. Here's the kicker. This shit is REFRESHING as hell. The first time I tried a shandy, I thought it tasted like dog shit. Really terrible. This beer nails the crossover of a delicious tea/beer/malt liquor style of beverage. It's somewhat tart and sweet with the spice of the ginger really playing well with everything else. If the geniuses that had invented Zima had given it a refreshing, delicious tart/sweet combo like this beer represents, I would be happy taking a 12 pack to the beach and drinking it all day.

I LOVE this drink and if I could regularly find it, my fridge would never be without some of this in it. Try it with an open mind (and it helps if you've had a tasting with about a dozen different stouts) and this beer will really help break things up.

Well done!!!