Triple-Goddess Ginger Kombucha Beer - Unity Vibration

American Wild Ale |  8.00% ABV

Beer added by: MarcatGSB on 01-25-2012

4.75/5  rDev +32.7%
look: 3 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Cloudy pale straw color. Thin white head fizzles itself out in moments which is typical of open fermented beers. Le sigh.

Smells like tart ginger. Tastewise TGG opens up with tart, sweet lemonade like too much Crystal Light powder in the mix. The ginger heat comes in back. Refreshing as all get out. Light, granular mouthfeel like bits of ginger will get stuck in my teeth. Maybe they will.

Picked this up awhile ago for the wifey on a snowshoe trip. She loves ginger and I figured it would be either really bad or really good. It was really, really good.

4.62/5  rDev +29.1%

Definitely more kombucha than beer.

For those unfamiliar with kombucha, it's essentially a probiotic with a lot of fermentation. In the US, it's a niche beverage that is popular with the vegan and natural food crowd.

The yeast in kombucha creates a natural carbonation. This exacerbates the overflow danger when the beer is poured.

I was expecting a beer with a hint of kombucha. This brew is precisely the opposite. It tastes like genuine kombucha. I happen to enjoy kombucha, so I thought that this beer was excellent. On the other hand, my favorite beer styles are trappist ales and imperial stouts, which makes it difficult to even classify this as beer.

5/5 for kombucha lovers.

??? for beer lovers.

4.48/5  rDev +25.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Okay, I had this 'beer' at a tasting last summer. We had a bunch of high gravity beers and A LOT of different bottles. Some guy from MI was the and pulls out this bottle and I had no idea what to make of it. Io really enjoyed it so I actually sought out some people to help me get it and I finally did. Here's my review:

Take this "American Wild Ale" categorization with a grain of salt. I've had over 1500 different beers and this is about as individual as they come.

I'm not going to give you the usual L, S, T review since this is a different beast. This is fairly highly carbonated and looks like murky lemonade. Here's the kicker. This shit is REFRESHING as hell. The first time I tried a shandy, I thought it tasted like dog shit. Really terrible. This beer nails the crossover of a delicious tea/beer/malt liquor style of beverage. It's somewhat tart and sweet with the spice of the ginger really playing well with everything else. If the geniuses that had invented Zima had given it a refreshing, delicious tart/sweet combo like this beer represents, I would be happy taking a 12 pack to the beach and drinking it all day.

I LOVE this drink and if I could regularly find it, my fridge would never be without some of this in it. Try it with an open mind (and it helps if you've had a tasting with about a dozen different stouts) and this beer will really help break things up.

Well done!!!

4.3/5  rDev +20.1%

4.26/5  rDev +19%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured pale mint green, hazy with a thin, shot lived head, and lazy carbonation.

Aroma of ginger and lime

Tart lime, ginger with a long tart finish. Light bitterness and sweetness keep balance.

Light body, with some alcohol, and a silk texture. Thirst quenching, a refreshing.

This is one of those pleasant surprises, that I will seek out in the future. Nice relaxing beer for a warm sunny Sumer afternoon.

4.21/5  rDev +17.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.25

WOW! This is definitely unusual. Refreshing. Zesty. Is it beer? I'm not sure, but it would be refreshing on a hot summer day. Has a lot of zip and tang, not cloying at all. The label says 'wild ale', perhaps implying a lambic-like airborne yeast? Not sure, but it does have some of the tang of a lambic. I like it as a change of pace.

4.17/5  rDev +16.5%

Similar tartness to an Organic Apple Cider Vinegar health drink. Very minor carbonation. Ginger not strong. Refreshing, bright.

3.87/5  rDev +8.1%

A. I was too lazy to pour into a glass so your guess is as good S mine

S. Smells exactly like a quality ginger ale soft drink.

T. Spicy ginger. Tart. Mouth puckering. Refreshing.

M. Glassy crispness and dry.

O. A great choice for a hot afternoon.

3.87/5  rDev +8.1%

Pours out a yellow hue with no retention or lacing and quite carbonated. The aroma has some ginger, lemon and yeast. The taste is a mix of lemon, ginger and yeast with a slight alcohol taste in the back. A little on the sweetside, but still quite tasty. A nice alcoholic beverage when in the mood for something sweet. smooth and easy to drink and a nice beer to enjoy on a hot summer night.

3.86/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22oz bomber purchased from Berkeley Bowl West in Berkeley, CA. I was intrigued to try this purely for the novelty value anyway, but I know there's another kombucha beer coming up in my future, so I thought it would be nice to have a comparison.

Pours an insanely light coloured yellow-white, almost transparent apart from a fine hazing. No head forms at all, and indeed there seems to be very little carbonation either. Body looks a little thick, but maybe just because it's so still. It's unique-looking at least, but I don't really know how to rate it.

Nose is tart and earthy, with a slight organic undertone, and masses of ginger. There's something biting and refreshing about it. I'm getting oranges, a little pepper, green apple juice, some tannins even a little oak. It really quite complex and very interesting.

Taste starts out similarly, with clean, sweet-tart characters of green apple skin, lemonade and sour candy. But there's an undeniably earthy, organic and slightly unpleasant aftertaste, quite possibly SCOBY-related. It gives the beer an unsavoury character that reeks of old yeast or garbage sitting in the sun. After a while, the ginger rears up a bit more strongly, leaving a spice character which almosts masks the organic note. The tartness is nice though on the front, and when the ginger comes through more, there's a very nice transition from the acidity to the spiciness.

Feel is light and prickly from the ginger spice.

Overall, this is very interesting, and something I'm pleased to have tried. I don't think it's something I'd drink regularly, but the refreshment is good enough that's it's certainly something I'd consider again.

Triple-Goddess Ginger Kombucha Beer from Unity Vibration