Bourbon Peach - Unity Vibration

Beer added by: merc7186 on 05-29-2013

to view more.
Ratings: 110 | Reviews: 19
1.59/5  rDev -52.4%

Tastes like super sour kombucha. It gave me horrible heart burn, I was vurping all night. If you like bile mixed with vinegar, give it a shot. On the upside, this was BY FAR the best kombucha beer I've ever had, and I've had a few. Disgusting (I love regular kombucha by the way).

3.25/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Tasted from a 650 ML bottle on April 10, 2015.

3.51/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

The first time I had this it was on draught. Didn't really care for it, approaching it like a beer. Shut up. This is nothing like beer. It is however a delicious and complex fermented beverage. I've tried it twice since, both times in bottle and I have come to appreciate it more each time. As the Irishman said as he kissed his cow, "to each his own".

2.1/5  rDev -37.1%

Kombucha shouldn't be used in beers. This was overwhelming to all my senses, from an overtly pungent nose, to a mess on the palate with peach and kombucha, to a minimal watery bourbon notes.

1.55/5  rDev -53.6%

Such a bad beer. On all levels avoid this crap

2.63/5  rDev -21.3%

This might be the worst thing I have ever tasted. The peaches tasted rotten and the bourbon must have been the cheapest out there. Stay away from this beer

One of my very favorites. This is a real treat. I must admit a bias to you that I love n adore Kombucha. I purchase different company's bottled non alcoholic weekly... As well have my own Kombucha at home that I make my own recipes from. So needless to say this is my new favorite type of beer.

1.42/5  rDev -57.5%

This is wretched. Smells and tastes like a bottle of nail polish remover. The acetone is out of control. It pours mostly flat and a pale clear, uh, peach hue that looks fairly standard, but one whiff will melt your nose hairs. I managed to a few sips and was able to suss out a bit of peach coming through, but this was noxious. No hint of interesting sour complexity I'd expect from kombucha, no bourbon, just acetone.

Undrinkable.

4.16/5  rDev +24.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

I'm not sure a lot of reviewers understand that this isn't technically beer... it's gluten free because it has no grain at all! In fact I didn't even expect to find this on BA. But now I'm learning there are alcoholic ginger beers on this site as well, which in my opinion (delicious as they can be) are not technically beers. (Fermented grain, anyone??)

It seems as if some reviewers have taken to it like a sour, that is the closest beer approximation, but if you don't like kombucha (fermented tea) to begin with, I don't see you liking this "beer".

Anyway, I loved it. The alcohol is masked quite well. The strongest flavors are the tangy-tart vinegar qualities of the kombucha followed by a blast of sweet peach. The bourbon influence hits you towards the end. It's unmistakeable but rather absurd at first. It didn't meld with me until a few sips in. (The same way The Anvil Bourbon Cider worked its magic on me.) It could tone down its sweetness and be perfect. Looking forward to trying more from Unity! But don't mistake it, it's not exactly what we call beer...

1.25/5  rDev -62.6%

One of two beers that i have dumped out. Awful.

3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

A - Very pale, like very pale apple juice, and murky. No head, just a little cling. Hope it is not flat.

S - Sweet fruit, wood, sour tart nose.

T - Oh, yea, carbonated. And pretty tasty. Very sweet, like a mead, with a slight wild side.

M - Medium body, good carb and balance.

D - One and done. Pleasant enough.

3.9/5  rDev +16.8%

Beer? Peach and bourbon. Very tart finish. Sligtly sweet.

2.75/5  rDev -17.7%

Poured a nice translucent cloudy yellow with no real head to speak off. It looked like a nice Berliner Weisse, very appealing. Scents of sour, lactic funk, reminiscent of a Berliner Weisse, very light acetone, hints of oak and light hints of peach. Overall impression of aroma is of a rather odd, yet faintly familiar wild ale aroma that has a few off-aromas that are not appealing. Still decent, but not amazing. Flavor begins sweet with notes of peach, sugar and honey and a light presence of vinegar and moderate sour funk, lactic in character. This moves into a middle with notes of oak, a faint acetone flavor and peach and honey-like sweetness. Finish is sweet, with a continuing peach and honey sweetness, a sour, acidic funk, oak woodiness and a slight acetone off-flavor. Aftertaste is sweet peach juice and sour fruit. Overall impression of flavor is of a fruity, sour ale with a nice oak flavor, but an unfortunate acetone off-flavor. Fairly good base flavor, brought down by an off-flavor. Mouthfeel is light bodied and acidic in feel with effervescent carbonation and a drying, puckering finish. Overall impression of mouthfeel is of a very well done sour, true to form for the style, but perhaps a bit acidic. Overall this is an okay American Wild Ale, with a nice aroma and flavor brought down by an unwelcome off-flavor and a mouthfeel that is just a bit too acidic. Not the worst beer I've ever tasted, but it is fairly poor for the style.

1.62/5  rDev -51.5%

Looks like a really interesting beer, wild with Brett, peaches, and bourbon, gotta be interesting even if it is gluten free. I like the little sticker they throw on it, I'm guessing best before, with date 10/08/14

One of the worst eruptions ever in a beer, it was literally exploding out of the top of the bottle and I got showered, as well as the computer and everything around me, which now smell like vinegar thanks to this shitty infected beer. When I finally get back to it, there is no head on the small amount of beer left, literally like 2 fingers of beer and that's it. Murky hazy banana straw color.

Nose is vinegar and sour infection, plastic and drain cleaner chemicals, paint thinner, lots of acid and pure badness. Maybe ahint of fruity peach but that's about it.

Taste, not sure if I want to... Starts really sweet, candy sweet, with some fruity canned peach flavors, but then just lots and lots of vinegar and sour infection, acid, lots of vinegar and acetic acid, with some paint thinner and bad chemicals, really bad.

Mouth is, I give up, not even gonna continue. I rarely do this but I'm going to demand my money back for this horrible horrible waste of existance.

3.56/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Served in a tulip at Decofest, thanks to Dan for sharing!
Quick review from written notes.

Pale and hazy, pastel lemon color. Thin layer of white foam fades fast to a thin ring around the edges. Minimal spotty lace.

Lemon cookie aroma, light citrus.

Mildly tart with a vinegary twang form the kombucha, some sweetness, maybe from the peach, but not much in the way of defined peach taste, more like wafer candy. Lower carbonation, juice-like. Overall interesting to try, but I wouldn't drink a whole bottle myself.

3.35/5  rDev +0.3%

22 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date present. My first encounter with a legitimate kombucha beer, and I couldn't be more excited. I probably bought the least accessible of the bunch that I saw at Binny's, but whatever. I love kombucha, and I love beer, so the results here are bound to be interesting. "Made in Michigan".

Poured into a clear balloon snifter glass.

A - Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. My first encounter with a legitimate "gusher" of a beer, this thing sprayed champagne like bubbles and liquid all over my table and my phone. Aside from that, after the bubbles settle, the actual body of the beer is a pale straw lemon color with some tiny specks of dark sediment lingering at the bottom. Steady bubbles geysering to the top of the glass. Active & alive appearance.

S - Smell is deceiving, and when paired with the appearance, almost made me think twice about drinking this one. A sour, tart, stale vinegar aroma. Maybe some sun-dried peach / apricot in there also. An off-putting aroma, but I've learned from drinking actual kombucha not to let that deceive you. It mostly just smells like easter egg dye, to me.

T - Taste is a step up from the sticky appearance and lousy aroma. Authentic fresh tart peach juice, crisp carbonation, kombucha-esque bacterial cultures, white sugar, and vinegar. Not really pulling out any bourbon barrel flavors, sadly enough. Alcohol is very well hidden; it tastes almost like a regular kombucha.

M - Feel ends fruity, sticky, sugary, and sweet. Clearly there was tons of carbonation in my beer, and not flat, like others have noted. A happy ending to what began as a disaster.

Overall, I'd say it is a nice middle ground for kombucha and beer lovers, like myself. Clearly this wasn't the most "accessible" of the bunch, but it is definitely a unique beer experience. Definitely recommended to all odd beer lovers, and lovers of kombucha as well. Looking forward to trying the others.

Unity Vibration Bourbon Peach ---3.5/5

4.07/5  rDev +21.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I believe this to be a case where the scores on BA are deceiving. This is a unique sour that I would recommend to seek. The bubbles were so excited to get out that they jumped onto to my kitchen floor. This is a hazard of wild ales. The ale was poured into a tulip as a nice yellow color. The aroma was the least pleasing part of the beer. Vinegary like most sours, the aroma also resembled a mediciny peach. On the initial taste, one gets the acidity of a sour, bubbly peach, woody bourbon, and a mild hint of something like diet cola. The tea notes are also present. In the aftertaste, one detects a tart apple acidity. I thought the texture was a little thick for a wild. Based on the carbonation exploding from the bottle, this is fairly surprising. The benefit of this is that extra staying power is gives to the taste. Overall, I thought this beer is quite nice and apparently victimized by bad reviews.

4.05/5  rDev +21.3%

From Blind Bif 8. Bottle marked <8% and poured into my rinsed out snifter. Once more into the brink!

Poured pale, pale cloudy yellow. Looks like lemon juice. No real lasting head. Damn this looks like lemonade. (4)

I smelled the bottle before pouring and audibly proclaimed “What the fuck!” Smells sour and funky and delicious. Thinking this is a Berliner Weisse from smell and appearance. It’s got a lot of vinegar and also lemon/citrus. It also smells like sugar, not just sweet, actual sugar. (4)

Oh man. This is sweeet, but also sour. Like odd lemonade that is presumably alcoholic. Although I guess 0 is < 8%, which is the only clue I have to go on. There is some slight wheat at the back end, which makes me again assume Berliner Weisse. The sweetness of it is kind of unusual though, I haven’t had an unfruited Berliner this sweet. I’m not sure there’s any fruit in here, though, unless it is lemon. I love me some lemonade though. Should have started with this today, great way to beat the heat (4.25).

Smooth, but with a little carbonation prickle. Light and nice and simple. (4)

It doesn’t quite taste like a Berliner, mostly because of the sweetness. It really just tastes like lemonade, heavy on the sugar, fermented as a beer. As a fan of sweet, but also sour beers, I’m a fan. Damn this is sour though. Not sure most people would like this. (3.75)

This is a 22oz bomber. I haven’t had Oarsman from Bell’s, so I was leaning towards that, but that only comes in 12oz from what I can see. I think New Glarus Berliner Weisse, another Midwest brew, is 12oz too. I don’t know any other Midwest Berliners… so stumped again. Damn you Abraxel.

The reveal…holy shit! From Unity Vibration, this is their Bourbon Peach Kombucha beer! I don’t think I’ve ever had Kombucha before, so that definitely was a hindrance in picking out that flavor, haha. What an interesting beer. I don’t get much bourbon, even after knowing it’s there. Maybe it contributes to the sweetness, certainly the alcohol content. That 7% was a bit surprising! Peach I can get behind, although it’s a very citrusy peachiness, since there’s a definite wild sourness component, but I can pick it out now. It’s like a peach iced tea with citric acid poured into it. Thank you, Abraxel for this great blind choice!

3.8/5  rDev +13.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

22oz bottle split and poured into a tulip. Best by 04/23/14.

A: Pours a hazy light straw yellow with no head. Leaves a lot of bubbles on the sides. No real lacing.

S: Sweet blend of bourbon and peach. Has a sour aspect to it as well with a fruity Brett yeast characteristic. Mild in most departments, peach is the strongest on the nose. Almost an oakiness.

T: Quite a complex flavor going o here. Obvious peach, bourbon gives you a kick, and sour brings up the rear. There is a lot of sweetness as well. Sort of reminds me of a flavored malt liquor mixed with a tasty sour beer.

M: Light body with pretty high carbonation. A bit of stickiness to it from all the sweetness. Very crisp yet certainly a sipper.

Overall an enjoyable beer that is definitely worth a try. Not sure if the bourbon compliments the sour aspect of this beer but i enjoy the approach.

to view more.