Bona Fide Imperial Stout - 4 Hands Brewing Co.

Bona Fide Imperial StoutBona Fide Imperial Stout

4 Hands Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Russian Imperial Stout |  9.00% ABV

Beer added by: JoEBoBpr on 02-15-2012

Bona Fide Imperial Stout is a collaborative effort with Goshen Coffee, a local fair trade coffee roaster. This beer is big, bold, and in your face. Bona Fide pours black as night with a smooth mouth feel. Aromas of espresso, dark chocolate, roasted malt, with nuances of vanilla. Drink now or cellar for up to 5 years.

Reviews by kemoarps:
3.98/5  rDev -1.5%

Bona Fide pours out thick and sticky and I can already tell I'm probably going to like it. Obsidian black with just a patchy brown ring to assure me that yes there is some carbonation here... This is what I want to see when I look at my glass.

The nose is rich and dark. I get a decent amount of molasses and coffee grounds, maybe a hint of a rich round sweetness (ostensibly the vanilla bean, though less pronouncedly vanilla-ized than I expected). There's something there that I can't quite put my finger on that's a bit unexpected. Definitely roasty.

The flavour shies further away from the vanilla and instead pours its heart into the coffee and bakers chocolate. This is ok by me, as I enjoy vanilla, but love the velvety chocolate and coffee that so many large stouts embody. Roasty chocolate/coffee is balanced in the back end by a bitterness that flits between the coffee/dark chocolate and a definite hop presence that offers a juicy roundness that helps fill out the body.
At the pour I was expecting something thick and syrupy that oozes down the back of the throat. This is not as big bodied as I had anticipated, and is carbonated higher than I prefer. It's not a BAD thing by any means, but I was just expecting (hoping?) for more of that motor oil consistency.
This is a very good beer, from a company that I've decided can be hit or miss for me. I've had better RISs, but I would reach for this one again in a heartbeat. Would love to try one of the BA varieties, but alas, I think they were both one-offs.
Curious about what it would do with time, though the big coffee presence inclines me to shy away from stashing one for a year or two. We'll see...

4.75/5  rDev +17.6%

4.06/5  rDev +0.5%

Initially, I was able to pick out the vanilla notes amongst the coffee in the smell and the taste. Over time however, the vanilla faded or was overpowered by the coffee flavor. Pleasant beer, and the alcohol is well hidden.

4.15/5  rDev +2.7%

3.83/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

4.09/5  rDev +1.2%

Bottled on 12-02-14

Pours ebony with 2 fingers of mocha colored head. Great head retention & lacing

S: Cocoa & dark fruit, some figs & cherry

T: Follows the nose, dryness as well, roastyness as well up front. Chocolate & some caramel, plus more dryness as this warms, faint coffee notes lingering on the edges, plus just a bit of charred grain, slight lactic sourness as well. Finishes dry, slightly roasty, with cocoa

MF: Lively carbonation, medium bodied, carbonation pushes the flavor profile up

Drinks too easy, well put together & very approachable, maybe a little too sweet for the style

4.21/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Very dark brown, far from the "black as night sky" claim. Little head and looks viscous.

Tons of vanilla in the front of the nose, also a hefty dose of coffee. It has a strong aroma, but basically is comprised of those two.

The taste is majority coffee, then that vanilla. Dark roast malt, light Hershey syrup.

Soft but thick body. Smooth. Low carbonation.

It's a two trick pony, but both tricks are done well. It drinks easy for an impy. If coffee's your thing, give it a ride.

Bona Fide Imperial Stout from 4 Hands Brewing Co.