Join our email list →

Chocolate Milk Stout - 4 Hands Brewing Co.

Chocolate Milk StoutChocolate Milk Stout

4 Hands Brewing Co.
Missouri, United States | website

Milk / Sweet Stout | 5.50% ABV

Beer added by: JoEBoBpr on 12-29-2012

Our chocolate milk stout pours black as the night sky with aromas of dark chocolate, chocolate malt, & more chocolate. With a firm, tan head & a rich velvety mouthfeel our Chocolate Milk Stout is a perfect addition to the change of seasons. Brewed with two pounds of cacoa nibs per barrel this beer is a chocolate lovers dream!
4.31/5  rDev +9.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

From a 12 ounce can, this is an excellent example of a sweet stout. It is utterly black, thick, and capped with a dark tan head. The head is tall and firm. The smell is incredible....roasted and toasted aromas....coffee and chocolate dominate. Imagine espresso beans, suspended in hot cocoa...wow. The taste is similar....some bitterness, but lots of sweet, chocolate milk flavor. Thick and hefty. This is a substantial and enjoyable brew.

4.35/5  rDev +10.1%

It's odd with 4 Hands BC - we get distribution here in PA, but it is scattered to the point that I CAN find some in PHL, some in LNC & still others were returnees with me from CHI. I dig the graphics on the CANs & I am anxious to CANduct a horizontal tasting/review of their CANned beers. When it is over, if you know of a CAN of theirs that I missed, let me know. How bizarre that tone77 got one from me when I just bought a CAN at The Fridge yesterday!

From the CAN: "Grade A"; "Food Pairings: Chocolate - Grilled Beef"; "Stout with Cacao Nibs". The label is reminiscent of Elsie, the Borden Cow, but dressed in a Milkman's cap & bowtie. If that is the case, the pairings seem a little sad. Milk chocolate? Sure! But Grilled Beef? Ya gotta kill the cow to get the meat. Aw. I am not a vegetarian, but that just seems inCANgruous if they are going to prominently feature a cow on the label.

The Crack! revealed yet another brimful CAN & released a spray across my fingertips. I could not bring myself to turn the cow upside down for an inverted Glug, but she really began to low when I did an agitating swirl! Sorry, but it raised a finger of foamy, deep-tan/light-brown head with decent retention. Color was Very Dark Brown to Black/Opaque (SRM = > 34, < 44) with just enough light penetration to keep it from being solid Black, plus there were cola highlights at the edges. Nose was rich with smoke, dark chocolate and a nuttiness, almost like peanuts. In fact, my initial thought was a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup! Mmmm. Now, I wish that I had some Tastykake Peanut Butter Tandy Takes to go with this. Mouthfeel was medium-to-full, not quite creamy, but close. I really swear, it tasted like a liquid peanut butter cup! I have had other porters & stouts that were intentionally going for this taste, but I do not think that such was the case here. This is an amusing beer that was quite easy to drink with half of it disappearing before I noticed. My only reservation/hesitation was its sweetness. I am a self-avowed hophead and I generally eschew sweets, so this was outside of my wheelhouse and as such, one was plenty. I am not going to dun it, but it was worth pointing out.

I split a bomber of this with my wife and one of the sister-in-laws.

Poured into a glass, the beer is black with a cream/tan colored head and lace.

It has an aroma of coco, roasted malts and a bit of molasses.

The chocolate is very evident but the base beer is not overwhelmed. There is chocolate, some roasted malts, a hint of smoke, and caramel. It all works together nicely.

The mouth is silky with spot on carbonation.

I would buy this again!

3.51/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours black with a thick tan head. Has a little vegetable smell. Tastes lightly of coffee and even lighter of chocolate. Feels thicker than it seems. Not bad just not great.

4.1/5  rDev +3.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Poured into a pint glass while at dinner at Kuma's Too. Great smell and you can clearly taste the cacao influence in this stout. Wonderful taste for a lower ABV beer (and for me that is anything under 8%) :-) Nice effort overall with this one.

4.74/5  rDev +20%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Had this one on tap. Enjoyed it a lot. Might not be the best stout I've ever had, but I was tempted to give it 5's cuz it lived up to the description perfectly. Black body with creamy brown head. smell is chocolate milk...not cocoa or roasted malt or dark chocolate, but really I immediately thought of chocolate milk. Was worried the taste was going to be artificial, but it too was excellent... chocolate milk. Extremely balanced taste where I never forgot I was drinKing a good stout. It's fair to say there were light coffee notes, hints of roasted malt, and more. In the end though, it was chocolate milk. The sweetness was there but not overpowering. The taste wasn't fake, Just very nicely balanced. Figured it would fail in the feel and be either tOo thin or too syrupy. Nope, it is super creamy and, well... like chocolate milk. Overall great experience, and I'll admit I ordered a second.

Gonna pick up some cans and see if they deliver the same. Like others, I stayed away for a while because i figured this was a gimmick beer. Now I can't wait to try Four Hands Peanut Butter Stout.

4.5/5  rDev +13.9%

had in both bottle and draft. really sweet at first but balanced out in end and was pleasantly surprised as not too chocoloately despite the name. good color and feel.

Great stout for the last drink of the evening. Chocolate is balanced. Held off on this one for years b/c of the cow on the label, but it is well done and not gimmicky. Recently impressed by my introduction to 4 Hands.

4.03/5  rDev +2%

Motor oil black with slightest brown hints. Dark tan head that was gone quickly except for a small spatter in of bubbles. Subtle sweet milk chocolate and milk, but predominantly malt. A lot of bittersweet chocolate and milk flavors up front, but not too sweet. Slightly bitter and very creamy. It is pretty light and bubbly for a stout. As mentioned, very creamy and goes down easy. Great trade for a great beer. Great balance of sweet and bitter flavors throughout.

3.76/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer really delivers on exactly what it promises. Only a very slight hint of alcohol comes through on the back end of the throat, otherwise you'd really need to keep this brew out of the hands of the little ones.

3.97/5  rDev +0.5%

L-Looks just like you'd expect a good stout to look. Tan head
S-a lot of chocolate, some roasted malt comes through, smells sweet
T-strong taste of chocolate. Stays on the palate for a long time. Still get some bitterness from roasted malt.
F- Not heavy but I'd call it full bodied, Goes down very smooth
O- For a dessert this stout is fantastic. Very sweet but in the right situation it's a great beer.

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%

Poured from a 22oz bomber.

Pours a dark coffee color, with a grey-brown cap of fine foam that lingers. Creamy but surprisingly light bodied, drinks almost like a chocolate egg cream. Lots of chocolate, vanilla, and lactose with just enough (but not much) roasted malt backbone. A fun desert.

3.5/5  rDev -11.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Pours a dark black color with a fingers worth of dark tan head. The smell is sweet and chocolatey. The taste chocolate and malt, very good balance of the two. The mouthfeel is very creamy like you'd expect a milk stout to be. I enjoy this beer very much.

3.61/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

A thanks to the founding father of the canquest, woodychandler, for this beer. Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a black color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of roasted malts, some smokiness. Taste is roasted malts, chocolate milk, very easy drinking. Feels medium/light bodied in the mouth and overall a smooth and tasty beer.

4.09/5  rDev +3.5%

Hearing great things about this beer I plunked down the $3.75 for the single. Into a Mason Jar glass.

A - Hard pour produced a two inch thick mocha tinted head atop of a fairly dark looking stout.
S - Nice lactic milk smell with espresso coffee and some melted chocolate twang.
T - Nice creamy chocolate tone with great coffee bitterness not too strong with a mildly hoppy finish.
M - Downright creamy for just regular and not nitro. Smooth with a somewhat chewy medium body.

Overall I am impressed with this it is a very drinkable milk stout only rivaled to Left Hands Milk Stout in terms of quality. A reasonable priced case would get me to buy it again.

4.03/5  rDev +2%

12 oz can, I am assuming fresh date. Pours like any stout with a thick, light-brown head that leaves tiny little bubbles as lacing on the glass. Reasonably strong aroma of coffee and chocolate. Taste is of dark malts, a bit of sweetness and chocolate mid palete, with a pleasantly bitter finish. The mouth-feel is where this beer really shines, as it is very smooth and creamy.

I am impressed at how much this beer has gong for it with only a 5.5% ABV. A great dessert beer.

3.38/5  rDev -14.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Dark brown near-black black body, dark brown head that fades to a veneer. Smells like artificial chocolate and peanut butter, small amount of sweet lactose behind it. Taste also has cacao and peanut butter, both fake. There is a small amount of roastiness from the malt. Firmly sweet, but that's to be expected. Body is medium-full, carbonation is too assertive.
Liquid Reese's cup. The (artificial) peanut butter was unexpected, not unpleasant, but not a wonderful addition. I hoped for a decent stout with overtones of chocolate, even would have welcomed overdone chocolate, but this really hid the beer and focused, for the worse, on the additives.

3.67/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Deep dark brown/black, light tan head which has decent retention. Smell is a mixture of chocolate sweetness, touches of toasty malt, relatively light overall. Taste and mouthful are akin to an alcoholic skim chocolate milk with a tiny amount of toastiness. Fun beer to try, nothing spectacular though.

2.91/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Holy balls, this smells just like chocolate milk. Creamy lactose and rich dark chocolate notes eventually give way to...not much. Maybe a touch of roast, I suppose. I like the chocolaty qualities, but where's the beer? Drinking this, it reminds me of a smaller version of Choklat, without the subtle stout notes that made it work so well. Here's what I get: some cream, and dark chocolate. That's it. It's also very thin in feel, though also easy to drink. Still, it gets REALLY sweet - too sweet for me. I though this was great at first sip; near the end of the can, I was pretty damn sick of it.

2.91/5: There's a beer somewhere in here...I think

4.25/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

L: It's dark, non-see-through, and has little head retention or lacing when poured down the side of the glass.
S: You can definitely smell the chocolate and typical milk-ish smell that comes with milk stouts. It definitely smells good.
T: Tastes like chocolate, cream, and it is vaguely bitter. Excellent!
F: Medium-bodied, and well balanced. Sweet, but somewhat bitter on the finish, never leaves your mouth feeling dry.

Overall, fantastic stout. I am sensing a lot of this stuff in my future.

4.56/5  rDev +15.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4 Hands is one of, if not my absolute favorite brewery in my home state of Missouri. I've yet to have a beer from them that I didn't enjoy and this is no different. I've always been hesitantly curious about chocolate beers, so its only been recently that I've decided to get over that and try them. This was the first one that made me get on board. Its a dark beer (black/dark brown) with a very sweet milky/chocolate scent. To me I pick up a slight hint of coffee as well. Taste is similar as well, with the back end tasting something along the lines of Hershey's chocolate syrup. It is not overly heavy, which is something I enjoy, so this one will be in my lineup during its season with us.

Appearance - typical to the style. Dark and not see through

Smell - chocolate and milkyness. Probably more on the side of dark chocolate

Taste - like the smell, it smells of dark chocolate. I get a sense of milk/cream in it as well. Very good.

Overall - I'd get this again. It is a very well balanced beer.

4.03/5  rDev +2%

A - Pours very dark brown to almost black and thin milk white lacing.

S - Milk chocolate, dark chocolate, cocoa, and cream.

T - Follows the nose: lots of dark chocolate, sweet milk chocolate, cocoa, with the cream coming through towards the end before finishes with a mild chocolate bitterness.

M - Medium body and coats the mouth with cocoa and cream.

O - Solid and enjoyable.

3.98/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Pours a dark tobacco with light fizzy head. Little to no lacing, very thin. Smell is a very nice rich blend of molasses, dark chocolate, rich powdered cocoa, with sweet cocoa nibs. Taste is very sweet with a chocolate syrup quality. Not too bitter as is more milk chocolate than dark. The body is what losses me on this brew. It is very thin, fizzy, almost lager like that comes off as somewhat flat rather than rich and creamy. Overall a decent stout but falls short with the lighter body.

3.49/5  rDev -11.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Aroma is chocolate milk and a background of dark malts and earth. The flavor is milk chocolate/chocolate milk, dark malts, mild fruit and a mix of acidity and slight heat in the finish.

Chocolate Milk Stout from 4 Hands Brewing Co.