Chocolate Milk Stout - 4 Hands Brewing Co.

Chocolate Milk StoutChocolate Milk Stout

4 Hands Brewing Co. visit their website
Missouri, United States

Milk / Sweet Stout |  5.50% ABV

Our chocolate milk stout pours black as the night sky with aromas of dark chocolate, chocolate malt, & more chocolate. With a firm, tan head & a rich velvety mouthfeel our Chocolate Milk Stout is a perfect addition to the change of seasons. Brewed with two pounds of cacoa nibs per barrel this beer is a chocolate lovers dream!

(Beer added by: JoEBoBpr on 12-29-2012)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Chocolate Milk Stout Alström Bros
2.75/5  rDev -30.9%

acc88, Aug 12, 2013
2.79/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Poured into pint glass, hazy brown head with large bubbles finished off into a cracker-thin brown head. Body - dark, but when put up to the light you can see it is a dark, dark, tobacco brow.

S: Dark Chocolate right off the bat. Notes of coffee, and toasted malts faint scent of dried apricots/cherries.

T: Chocolate cover cherries, with a dry hop finish. Interesting

M: Perhaps the weakest part of the experience. Thin, light, effervescent with not what I was expecting. I will be honest disappointed. I wanted that thick, milky experience - this beer just did't have it.

O: Eh, I wanted to like this beer. But in the end it taste like a brown ale with cacao nibs added. I wouldn't recommend this, especially four the price.

theruckus33, Jan 27, 2013
2.91/5  rDev -26.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Tasted 16 February 2013.

Pours black in the glass, deep brown at the edges. Half-finger of pale tan head, relaxes to a thin ring around the surface, and a touch of lacing.

Smell is a light milk stout topped with woody cacao and coffee. It's thin; fortunately the lactose adds some body and smoothness. A touch of smoke leaks in from the dark roast. But mostly it's bottom and top, and hollow in the middle. Lacking body, oomph, robustness.

Taste is thin, a bit flat, and dominated by a char bitterness and wood. I get very little milk or chocolate, which is disappointing. This beer isn't terrible, but I'd have a hard time calling it good.

Mouthfeel is fine. It's a low-ABV stout, so it's not super surprising that it's thin. But the milky feel isn't there, and it's even thinner than I'd expect. Carbonation is fine.

Nothing impressive about this one. As I said above, it's not terrible. But I'm not loving it.

zeledonia, Feb 17, 2013

DruRho, Mar 16, 2013

papajohn56, Sep 07, 2014

wingnutz27, Aug 15, 2014

elowan, Mar 16, 2013

Soneast, Oct 20, 2013
3.05/5  rDev -23.4%

Cool label! That's about the highlight of this beer for me. Frankly, I don't even taste chocolate ... I taste and smell burnt espresso beans. Also kind of watery. I expect a stout to feel/taste thick and rich ... this one seems thin and weak. There is so much potential for a beer like this but it seems this brewery (and many others like it) are just trying to ride the profit wave with uninspiring products. Too bad. I suppose there's a chance it somehow became skunked? Bottled on 3/25/14.

Vierenner, Jul 23, 2014

Norseman, Jan 12, 2014

taospowder, Apr 15, 2014

brother_kenneth, Oct 12, 2014
3.34/5  rDev -16.1%

650 mL bottle poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Despite thr description, it is not black as the night. Deep brown. Collar of foam and a single tentacle of foam.

Smell - Really chocolatey. Impressive milk chocolate aroma. Slight peanut butter aroma.

Taste - Less impressive, but still decent. Milk chocolate. Less intense. Not much else going on. Not a lot of lactose, which I like. Still has a bit of peanut butter to it.

Mouthfeel - Very light and thin. Medium carbonation.

Overall - Nice chocolate. Maybe I had this beer too late in the tasting, but I don't get a lot else out of it.

Alieniloquium, Apr 16, 2013
3.36/5  rDev -15.6%

JordanHageman, Nov 03, 2014
3.39/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I had high hopes for this beer coming in. I love a good milk stout, and chocolate is the perfect pairing for that profile. It's a local brewery that I dig, and I'd heard good things about this one in particular. Maybe my expectations were too high, but I do feel somewhat underwhelmed.

Pours like a Dr. Pepper: deep brown bordering on black, small mocha head that disappears pretty quick, not much left behind. I was hoping for something a little thicker I guess, but this just LOOKS thin and highly carbonated.

I smell primarily the cacao, rich and creamy and enticing. There's a roasty element and a bit of that lactose sweetness. Some vanilla in the undercarriage.

Here is where my trepidation becomes more justified. It's still pretty thin, and overly carbonated for what I want in the style. You get the initial burst of sweet lactose and creamy chocolate but it is immediately superceded by the carbonation and a bitter roast/burnt char character. The vanilla peeks in at the end again. Finishes with a bitter character that seems to flow from the char aspect.

As I said... I had high hopes for this one. They were not met. It's not a BAD beer, it's just not a particularly good one.

kemoarps, Oct 06, 2013

DanGeo, Jun 26, 2014

GMUPatriot_inKansas, Jan 15, 2014

WoodBrew, Nov 07, 2014

oso, Mar 13, 2014

mkf629, Apr 18, 2014
Chocolate Milk Stout from 4 Hands Brewing Co.