Follow our progress ...

Added by OneDropSoup on 02-22-2012

Reviews: 17 | Ratings: 63
Reviews by psuKinger:
4.16/5  rDev +8.9%

Bottle poured into one of my Bruery Tulips.

A: Pours a deep deep dark murky brown, with a big creamy off-white head, over a fingers worth. Leaving nice lacing along my glass as I work my way through, as well.

S: Candied sugars, malt sweetness, and orange peel.

T: A surprising amount of cocoa accompanies the candied sugars. Orange Peel on the back end. A hint of "fig", but not much in the way of "dark fruits" here for such a Belgian Dark.

In my mind, the most distinguishing flavor is the orange peel. It's certainly pronounced, but initial impressions are not that of it being "unbalanced". Certainly unique, though. Based on the two brews Draai Laag has put out so far, they don't seem to be concerned with coloring within the lines when it comes to "style guidelines".

M: Lively, with great carbonation. A lot of *heft* behind those bubbles, though. Great viscosity underneath, with lots of dry sticky malt sugars left behind on the finish.

D/O: Enjoyable from start to finish. Definitely drinkable.

4.13/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Big thanks to cosmo4u for this kind gift.

Turbid light brown, unattractive, but with killer tan head that drapes lace graciously as it drops.

Rounded tart yeast and overripe berry, light acetic hints, very light cocoa and candi make up a light strength but alluring aroma.

Wow, this ferment almost has a lactic acid quality to it, crazy flavors thrown by this yeast. I get berry, leather, tobacco, bitter apple, overripe plum, earth, grapes, other hard to name flavors that create something really delicious around the scant candi sweet and light bitter hop. It is a beer that morphs into different taste as it warms. Not much cocoa, even though I am looking for it.

Medium carb., full bodied, clean flavors, excellent finish, frames the beer impeccably.

What a surprising treat! Highly recommended, great American take that dares to be different.

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

3.38/5  rDev -11.5%

12 ounce SN style stubby here. 8% abv, with honey, cocoa, and orange peel. Pours dark mahogany ruby tinted brown with a big khaki tan head forming thick. Fine even lacing, surrounds my chalice. Aroma has big phenolic fruitiness, with hints of cocoa, honey, and orange peel citrus notes. Deep vinous layers of fruity with herbal earthiness, I'm getting raisins and tart apples. Flavor big alcohol assertive up front with dark fruit, more vinous grapes/raisin sweetness with dry cocoa bitterness weighing heavy with dark roasts on the palate. Also honey hits with sweetness and the citrus peel bitterness almost overwhelms the palate. As I add the rest of the yeast sediment the dry chalkiness subdues some of the harsh flavors and it melds a little better than my first few initial sips. Most of honey ferments out in this one very few residual sugars are left behind, a bit cloying still with the cocoa and bitter orange peel clashing together. Carbonation is mellow body is medium to full, and it just doesn't go down with ease. Complex yes, adventurous yes, a beer I want to try again, not sure. I did love their Belgian style golden ale, very creative thus far, keeps me open to try more of their beers maybe just not a huge fan of this one.

3.57/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

3.83/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

3.88/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

First off, this thing gushed on like a proud grandma. Very tough to pour without losing too much. Once it settled down, we were left with a mountain of beige foamy time. Further settled, it's a bit more of a creamy head that is stubborn to leave lacing but will in reluctance. Beer itself is a murky, brownish opaque orange with active little floaties that eventually peter out.

First noticed on the nose is a vinous thing. As I delve further along in the aroma, I start to get some honey before the heat component plays in a bit more. Last thing I get is a very faint hint of orange candy.

Tart, puckeringly so, at first. Need to let the tart shock dullbefore I can really get down to detecting much more...... Ok. Got some other things happening now. Directly after tart is when bitter orange peel steps in to pave the way for a not very well hidden heat. Mid way through a touch of sweetness does a drive by before the "tastes like the smell of rose" finish wraps things up.

Thin, maybe deceptively so when you consider the abv. Virtually no aftertaste whatsoever. Nothing left on the tongue, throat, nose or anyplace else.

Very interesting beer despite it being a style I rarely investigate.

2.5/5  rDev -34.6%

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

Not sure when it was bottled and even that their was a brewery in Millvale just 12 miles from my house. Paid $3.50 for the 12oz bottle.

A - Pours a clear dark amber brown with a half inch of tan colored head. Lacing is excellent.

S - First whiff I get the cocoa powder, strong and sweet. Repeated smells I get the orange and Belgium yeasts that smell sweet.

T - I really like the balance of cocoa in this it's not overly dry or sweet it nicely compliments the yeast giving it a fruity aspect which I assume is the orange. Finish is honey sweet so as advertised!

M - Medium bodied and drinks more like a Belgium Pale than a Belgium strong ale.

Overall I really like balanced Belgium's that are not overly dry, sweet flavored, and balance the hops the alcohol well enough to not be very filling. Wonder if I can hit up the brewery and pick up a six pack...

3.77/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a snifter: Deep, raisiny brown under a finger of soft, light tan head with loads of little nucleation bubbles rising. Head sinks to a thin, uneven dusting with a thick collar. A few deep crimson highlights.

Nice nose of light molasses, dark stewed fruits, honey, overripe banana, & a moderate baking spice like anise. Not overdone, & a lot to pick out here.

IN the taste, there's a sweetness like root beer barrel, some more dark fruit & that spicy anise character, a little brown sugar, mildly doughy. When I swish it around, I notice a very dry, rum-like boozy character that's not there if I just swallow. It's kind of unpleasant when I do that, so I just don't do it & it's alright. I'll split the difference.

Medium-full-bodied, with a sweet, slightly sticky note that turns dry & a little warming toward the end.

Really reminds me of a lot of Belgian Christmas beers - has that BSDA character with an added bit of spice & sweetness. A little problematic at points, but still a solid one & a good companion to Aureus, with a lot of shared characteristics.

3.5/5  rDev -8.4%

Pours a deep amber color with an off white head. In the aroma, orange citrus all day. In the taste, dry orange citrus with notes of cocoa. A spice like bite and a medium bodied mouthfeel, with a semi dry note of cocoa in the aftertaste. A bit too sweet for me, especially with the mix of orange and cocoa all the way through.

2.63/5  rDev -31.2%

I hate to be critical of local brews, but after I tried this beer something needs to be said. I think this is the first beer that I have ordered in a bar and could not finish it. I will be objective and professional in my review.
First, the best thing this beer has is it's looks. Tight, lacing head that is neither to much nor too little for this style. Smell is of slight chocolate, alcohol, sweet cedar and some fruit. This is where it gets ugly-the most important factors of a good beer is where this beer totally misses the boat.
The taste, agree with person below that this beer is extremely unpleasant to put down. There is a significant imbalance between the alcohol and the dry, toasty fruit hits that attempt to mask the brutal sting of the alcohol. If I did not look at the bottle, I would guess this beer comes in at 16%. I was shocked to find out that this beer is only 8%! It goes down like 151!
Mouthfeel was slightly better as some of the smells manifested into some of the flavor. It was a medium to heavy bodied beer which is prime for this style, however, the imbalances are too overwhelming.
Overall, this beer was a poor representation of a strong Belgian dark. I will give the hometown benefit of the doubt, but I can not tell a lie and would be lying if I said this beer was worth your time or dollar with so many better examples of this style available.

Simon Girty from Draai Laag Brewing Company / Saints & Turncoats Public House