Brett On The Dance Floor - Fiddlehead Brewing Company

Fiddlehead Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

American Wild Ale |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: ThatsThatDude on 06-25-2014

The first in a new series of periodic "Brett" beers from Fiddlehead Brewing Company. 60 IBU. 5.9% ABV. Brewed with 100% Brettanomyces, a wild strain of yeast that's known for creating funky,wild flavors, this Brett was dry-hopped with citra and simcoe hops and then fermented for 5-6 weeks.
to view more.
Ratings: 60 | Reviews: 5
Reviews by JMScowcroft:
3.75/5  rDev -0.8%

I was just at the Brewery to pick up a couple of cases of Mastermind they canned. I haven't tasted Mastermind before I tried the their mainstay Fiddlehead IPA and the Brett on the Dance Floor. After I got my case I went back in to get a taste of the Dance Floor. I really couldn't tell much difference between the Dance Floor and the regular IPA. I was expected more flavor from the Brett yeast. The beer wasn't bad. However, it wasn't enough for me to buy a growler after I just bought my 3 cases of Mastermind (very nice beer!!) or to travel the 2.5 hour trip I just did just to get the Brett. The beer was smooth and pleasant though.

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

I knew a Brett once. He had a Wario style mustache and was a crazy mofo. Would he be as awesome as this beer on the dance floor? I doubt it.

4.18/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

On tap at the brewpub.

A-Pours absolutely ugly but I can tell when something looks this strange it's usually going to be pretty tasty. Completely opaque. Headless. Dimly lit orange hue.

S-The aroma was pretty out there. It just wreaked of Brett. It also had a noticeable hoppiness. I have come to find out it was dry hopped with Citra and Simcoe and now it all makes sense. The two hops give off a lot of tropical and citrusy notes and the Brett adds that funky, almost rotten fruity aroma.

T-The Brett yeast strain delivers with that funkified flavor that is unquestionably unique. It reminds me of rotten fruits and eucalyptus (weird, yes). The hops mix with the yeast and add their own dynamic to the flavor. Citrusy, exotic fruits, pine and herbals.

M-Medium bodied. Medium carbonation. Long, lingering aftertaste. Finishes dry. No alcohol, just lots of wacky flavor.

O-Very unique. I personally really enjoyed this beer. The mixture of hops and funk is not often done effectively. This one does it well. Had to get a growler after to bring with me,

4.1/5  rDev +8.5%

Poured from the growler into a snifter glass.
Pours a hazy light tangerine, half a finger of head the dissipates quickly.
Smells of a mix of hoppiness and brett light funk. Hops win out.
Taste is similar, a really unique mix of brett funk and prominent hop flavors. Never tasted it like this before.
Mouthfeel is a touch sticky, new for a brett to me.
Overall this is an exciting beer. I had to think about it, as it's not a brett forward beer, it is certainly hop forward from the dry hopping.
Matty-O continues to innovate!

4.25/5  rDev +12.4%

dug this one a lot, more of a subtle brett strain in here than some of the other brett fermented india pales out there, very mild, funky but not tart at all. the base ipa itself is pale golden and very east coast, delicate almost, gentle waves of citrusy hops roll over the tongue, without much harshness or bitterness at all. the brett makes it drier than most ipas, and adds a cool yeast character in the finish, but it never gets super yeasty. it serves to cut and lighten the resinous hops and to make the beer a bit more drinkable for me. carbonation is great, and the soft feel makes the body seem lighter than it really is. i would love to see more brett hoppy beers, i think there is a real synergy there, and its nice to see someone like fiddlehead just run with it. aside from their sap beer, this is the best i have had from them.

to view more.