Mastermind - Fiddlehead Brewing Company

Vermont, United States

Beer added by: BTVflatlander on 09-06-2013

Ratings: 840 | Reviews: 91
4.9/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pretty much right off the bat you can smell that this beer is special. It has a really unique hoppy aroma that is very distinct and interesting. The flavor is outstanding. This is one of those beers that you sit and rock your head back-and-forth in disbelief. It really is that good.

The only reason I don't give it a complete five star review is that in the past I've judged beers on the clarity/turbidity a little harshly. Although I don't really care a whole lot anymore, it wouldn't be fair to judge too differently. This beer is a little cloudy but I honestly like that. I really like the spear and hope that I can find it again soon. I need more friends to travel to Vermont I guess.

4.42/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

was 11/19/14 so it was by no means fresh but still delicious. I imagine the smell and taste were better fresh. Still world class

4.8/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Delicious! Extremely smooth and aromatic.

Comparable to Heady Topper in my opinion, and less challenging to acquire. I even like the 12-ounce can, though I would not object to a 16-ounce repackaging. As good a beer as I have had the pleasure to enjoy. Can't wait for your return.

4.74/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Outstanding IPA! Really looking forward to trying more Fiddlehead in the future!!!

4.83/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Simply put this is one of my favorite ipas. I wish they were pumping this out every couple of weeks.

4.66/5  rDev +4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I got lots of lime on the nose and the mouth. a truly unique beer! Loved it!

4.21/5  rDev -6%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Had a few cans that were double-topped and lost all carb. Shame. Great DIPA, probably top-10 in Vermont (which says a lot).

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%

Good Vermont DIPA
Not as good as Second Fiddle
Brewery needs to also provide in Growlers
Canned beer hasn't been as good

4.01/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

I could tell it wasn't quite to my top NE IIPA standards in that the appearance is a light lemon yellow as opposed to the apricot color ive come to associate with concentration and complexity... It is hazy though, as it should be...
Nose has some nice hoppy funk but is rather restrained...
Flavor is hoppy and citrusy with some lemon and a very mild bitter finish...
A welcome edition to the NE IIPA line-up and though falls short of HF offerings, Dinner, and Trilliums... is a delicious beer....

4.8/5  rDev +7.1%

Great VT ipa, leans to the pine side of the hop profile

3.78/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

12oz can. Pours a hazy medium yellow gold, with a small white head. Has a very piney citrus grapefruit aroma. Taste is similar with a nice citrus grapefruit tangy hops flavor, mild biscuit malt with some caramel notes as well. A medium body on the palate, good carbonation. Finish is sweet citrus, pine and grapefruit tanginess, with mild malt and caramel notes, slight dry finish. A good tasty solid all around brew.

4.81/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

I was fortunate to get several 4 packs of this during his October release from a friend traveling in Vermont. This beer is amazing! 2 weeks in the can showed explosive hop character and reminded me of a tropical hop punch! I added Fiddlehead to my Vermont trip for next year because of this beer. I actually prefer this over Heady Topper now. Get you some!

4.36/5  rDev -2.7%

From 12/14/14 notes. Thanks to BeerLawyer85 for sharing a can of this, it wads very good. 12 oz. can into a pint glass.

Pours a somewhat clear yellow color with one inch of bright white head and moderate carbonation evident. Tons of pine, spruce, citrus hops, grapefruit juice, lemon zest, oranges, and some nice tropical fruits. Also some fruity malts and bread. Medium body and moderate carbonation, no bitterness to it.

Overall really good. Not as tropical as Sip of Sunshine and more pine, but just as drinkable. Really great, well worth checking out.

4.54/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a good beer. I got this one on a trade. Thanks to a great trader! It is definitely interesting. It reminds me a lot of pseudosue, but not nearly as thick a mouthfeel and a little more lingering bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Appearance: Hazy golden color.

Smell: Tropical fruits, some piney resin but not a huge amount going on with this one other than that. Maybe a little sweetness in the malt backbone.

Taste: Very nicely balanced, lots of fruits, honeysuckle, tropical notes and oh so smooth, just a tinge of bitterness on the back of the tongue.

Overall: This is very similar to pseudosue, its a bit more watery, but I don't know if that is really an issue. I would love to have more access to these in the summer months. I am an IPA fiend but I am transitioning to different styles at the moment. Nevertheless, this is a top notch one in my opinion.

Bought it cause some guy in VT said its the better Heady Topper. Tasted like pineapples. I wish i bought more than 1x4 pack on my trip.

4.54/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

This beer is a muddles dark yellow/pale orange color, extremely thick as some swirling sediment settles, and initially this actually develops a sort of sediment cloud that dissipates to form the complete opacity that it finishes with. The head is an impressively strong and sizeable pure white one, a crown that never drops below half a finger and leaves chunky lacing in good volume.
I'm impressed by the aromatics even with all the hype, and I don't even need to get my nose very close to the glass to get a burst of tangerine and grapefruit. Just a few moments give the bouquet time to develops to an extremely strong dose of pine and, in a good way, a bit of earth/soil. There are levels of depth to work through, though, and a little more rawness, leaf, even some herb from the middle to finish, all come out to mingle together and make for one of the best aroma I've gotten from any hoppy beer.
It's strong, for sure, with hops banging the palate right away but somehow never fatiguing it. There has to be a pretty big malt underneath to balance this hugely hoppy beer this well, adding just enough caramel and honey sweetness to balance almost perfectly without taking anything from the hops. All kinds of bitterness rolls on the tongue from pine to grapefruit peel to pith, maybe a flash of something briny in the middle, but no astringency or harshness. It rides into a floral, even perfumey end with lots more zest lingering into the finish. This is a world-class beer that could be as close to perfect as possible with just the slightest cleanup in the middle as a slight saltiness flashes in, but this is in the upper echelon of DIPAs.
The body is as thick as it looks, flowing smoothness beginning each sip and giving way to a strong bite of crispness that carries through. It dries out strongly after a few seconds and remains dry.

3.5/5  rDev -21.9%

Maybe I was expecting more but this one is kinda meh. Trillium does it better, it's called Congress Street.

4.5/5  rDev +0.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very hazy, looks like pineapple juice. Smells tropical and minty, mild pine. Taste is fantastic and unique. Mild mint, ton of tropical flavor, tangerine, lemon lime, grapefruit, kiwi, minimal bitterness...awesome stuff. I could smell and taste this for hours and get different flavors. Crazy complex, very very easy drinking. Great mouthfeel.

I don't understand... This tastes like a fruit juice cocktail. I'm not talking about a grapefruit like hop taste, I'm talking about a pineapple juice cocktail.

Not what I expected. I figure if people like fruit juice this may be up their ally, but I personally hate canned fruit juice.

Canned 14 days ago.

4.1/5  rDev -8.5%

12 oz. can poured into a snifter.

Appearance - Pale orange. Medium white head with good retention. Thin collar.

Smell - Very tropical, especially as it warms. A little dank. Pale malt.

Taste - And lots of tropical fruits here too. Sweet mango. Orange and grapefruit. Very light sweet malt.

Mouthfeel - Medium body. Medium carbonation, but it's got a creaminess.

Overall - Very good without really standing apart from its other Vermont IPA competition.

The color, aroma, and fruity finish of this beer is unbelievable. New favorite beer

Enjoyed poured into a modified tulip.
A wonderful bright nose, lots of citrus and lily. The taste is much the same. A slight slickness covers the palate, a dryer finish might help with the close out here.
The carbonation is steady but cannot compete with the body.
Overall a nice IIPA that with some slight refinement could be incredible.
Fine work by Fiddlehead.

Cheers all

Absolutely sick. Beats heady. Wonderful color. So much tropical and citrus and pineapple.

Better than, and harder to obtain than Heady. Best beer I've ever had.

Mastermind from Fiddlehead Brewing Company