1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Mastermind - Fiddlehead Brewing Company

MastermindMastermind

Fiddlehead Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

(Beer added by: BTVflatlander on 09-06-2013)
3.45/5  rDev -21.1%

12oz can. Dated 8/21/14 on the bottom. Poured into a Three Floyds teku glass 9/6/2014.

A- Hazy darker orange body, three finger white head with good retention; eventually drops into a thick, large bubbled collar. Small bits of lacing. For the most part, a standard appearing pale ale [3.75]

S- Citrus, passion fruit and strong malt backbone consisting of caramel and a bit of toffee. For the most part, very pleasant with the west coast style hopping. [4]

F- Sweet caramel, a bit of bread, good bit of passion fruit. Not particularly strong in terms of the aromatic hops as the smell would have you think. There is a fair bit of booziness on the backend as well, which bothers me. [3.25]

M- Medium bodied, refreshingly dry. Good carbonation. Only problem is the booziness on the finish which just isn't my thing. [3.5]

O- Solid DIPA but boozy on the backend; some may like that but it's not my cup of tea. I find booziness to make it more difficult for me to drink in general; in this case it's a shame because the rest of the beer is quite solid with a good flavour profile. [3.25]

Final score: 3.45

Stevedore, Sep 07, 2014

12oz can to glass

Pours a beautiful bright and hazy yellow. Just how I like my IPA/DIPAs to look. Tons of citrusy hop goodness on the nose. Taste is equally juicy and full of hop flavor. Not much bitterness to speak of, very, very easy to drink. The amount of hop aroma and juicy flavor actually remind me of the first time I had Heady in a can. Not saying it is better than Heady or anything, but to my nose/palate Mastermind provides a similar experience of waves of citrusy hop enjoyment with each sniff and sip.

Second Fiddle was very good, but I did find it a bit malty/sweet at times. Mastermind on the other hand is pretty much exactly how I like a DIPA, bright, light and lots of juicy citrus. Glad to hear they are canning more next week.

bahnfire, Aug 24, 2014
4.38/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a growler into a snifter glass.
Pours a hazy, light golden hue. Cloudy with flavor. The head was moderate to light.
Smells are fantastic. So floral. My nose picked up much more floral than citrus in this brew.
Taste was fantastic and a bit complex. Sweetness, hoppy juiciness, floral notes. A little alcohol on the finish.
Mouthfeel was very nice and left me wanting more.
Matty-O for all his focus on their flagship Fiddlehead IPA makes these amazing beers to compliment the IPA, Hodad, Mastermind, Second Fiddle, etc... To me these beers are what excites me about Fiddlehead.

BoldRulerVT, Jan 12, 2014
4.46/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Drank from a 32oz "growlette"
Served in a snifter
Thanks to my friend Matt for bringing this back from Vermont.

Super cloudy, straw yellow appearance. The liquid was topped by a thin film of bubbly white froth. A spotty curtain of lacing coated the glass.

The aroma was super hoppy. Dank and resiny. Amazingly weed-like. Strong tropical fruit notes were apparent. Mango and passionfruit were most noticeable. Quite sweet. Between the fruitiness and the sweetness, the nose reminded me a lot of Juicy Fruit gum. Some subtle, musty, yeasty notes were also detectible.

The flavor profile was quite hoppy as well, but definitely more bitter and resiny than the aroma. Super citrusy. Fairly sweet up front. Candied orange peel came through strong. Lots of peach and apricot notes as well. Touch of mango. Overall, incredibly fruity. The finish was piney, resiny and semi-bitter. The 8.1% ABV became slightly noticeable as the beer warmed.

My one complaint about the beer was the mouthfeel. The liquid seemed a touch flat, albeit somewhat soft and creamy. While I realize that the this was likely due in part due to the fact that the beer came from a screw top growler, I feel like the brewery should somehow be held accountable for this.

Mastermind was the first beer I have had a chance to try from Fiddlehead, and it really impressed me. This is an amazingly flavorful, complex and reasonably balanced DIPA, much in the vein of others produced by some of Vermont's finest. I look forward to trying more offerings from these guys.

Damian, Sep 17, 2013

whatname, Today at 12:47 PM

Marlon19, Today at 03:07 AM

timotao, Today at 02:38 AM
4.34/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

L - clouded, small head, miny sediment chunks sink to the bottom

S - candied citrus, orange, grapefruit, peach, melon. No alcohol detected. Amazingly juicy - like I'm about to take a bite into a real piece of fruit. Wet grain/malt towards the back?

T - pulpy grapefruit (without the bitterness) hits up front and lingers throughout. Crisp and clean. Bright citrus everywhere.

F - tingly, vibrant. I'm torn because it's the most crushable DIPA I've ever had the pleasure of trying but it lacks the body I'm looking for in the finish. Ends up slightly watery but still very good.

O - it's been a while since I've had a dIPA like this. Changes things up a bit and doesn't just smack you in the face like so many do. Well balanced, bright and extremely drinkable. One of my favorites.

thegerm87, Today at 02:23 AM