Mastermind - Fiddlehead Brewing Company

MastermindMastermind

Fiddlehead Brewing Company visit their website
Vermont, United States

(Beer added by: BTVflatlander on 09-06-2013)
Reviews by the Alström Bros:

None found.

4.46/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz can. Dated 10/9/2014 at the bottom. Poured into a Hill Farmstead stemmed glass 10/21/2014. Should be better than it was the last time I had it, when it was about 6 weeks old..

A- Hazy golden-yellow body. Very opaque as typical of unfiltered IPAs. One finger fluffy white head, lots of lacing persists in rings. [4.25]

S- Resinous grapefruit, orange, even a bit of nectarine. A bit of sharp lime as well. Nice caramel malt backbone for a bit of balance. Very aromatic and strong. Can't put my finger on it, but it reminds me of one of Hill Farmstead's Society & Solitude beers. [4.5]

F- Sweet grapefruit and lime flavours mixed in with crackers and caramel. Some tangerine/orange in the finish. Very nice balance of aromatic hops, bittering hops and the malt backbone. [4.5]

M- Medium bodied, soft and nicely carbonated. A bit thinner than the other big names in Vermont, but that's not saying a whole lot. Very smooth, drinkable and soft feel. [4.25]

O- Very good DIPA, especially this fresh. Would highly recommend asking for this one as an addition to your next big hop box from Vermont. [4.5]

Final score: 4.46

2.7/5  rDev -39.5%

Thanks to baybum for this little can of a beer. I’ve been rolling around in glorious, world-class IPAs the past couple of weeks, so I’m looking for one more. Greedy, I am. 12 oz. black and white can with a 10/23/14 date (yeah!) dumped into my Creature Comforts glass that I’m growing more & more fond of.

The pour is drug test yellow, almost bright, opaque, full of more bubbles than there are political analysts on the TV tonight (it’s Election Day! "I pull my shirt off & pray..."). The nose delivers pineapple & citrus in spades, & smells bright, if that makes sense. Nice.

Mastermind doesn’t hew to the typical IPA. It opens with an odd burst of herbal, spring-like greens mixed with earthiness that makes me wonder what I just put in my mouth (I haven’t shown such good judgment at times in the past). The mid-palate kicks up some IPA dust, with the fruitiness in the nose, strange, fake, hanging-from-the-mirror evergreen, & a low flash of bitterness. Ends muddled. If we’re being honest, I wish I’d split this with my wife.

I will admit it: I’m baffled. This beer is a wild mess. Not even mediocre.

4.46/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

Drank from a 32oz "growlette"
Served in a snifter
Thanks to my friend Matt for bringing this back from Vermont.

Super cloudy, straw yellow appearance. The liquid was topped by a thin film of bubbly white froth. A spotty curtain of lacing coated the glass.

The aroma was super hoppy. Dank and resiny. Amazingly weed-like. Strong tropical fruit notes were apparent. Mango and passionfruit were most noticeable. Quite sweet. Between the fruitiness and the sweetness, the nose reminded me a lot of Juicy Fruit gum. Some subtle, musty, yeasty notes were also detectible.

The flavor profile was quite hoppy as well, but definitely more bitter and resiny than the aroma. Super citrusy. Fairly sweet up front. Candied orange peel came through strong. Lots of peach and apricot notes as well. Touch of mango. Overall, incredibly fruity. The finish was piney, resiny and semi-bitter. The 8.1% ABV became slightly noticeable as the beer warmed.

My one complaint about the beer was the mouthfeel. The liquid seemed a touch flat, albeit somewhat soft and creamy. While I realize that the this was likely due in part due to the fact that the beer came from a screw top growler, I feel like the brewery should somehow be held accountable for this.

Mastermind was the first beer I have had a chance to try from Fiddlehead, and it really impressed me. This is an amazingly flavorful, complex and reasonably balanced DIPA, much in the vein of others produced by some of Vermont's finest. I look forward to trying more offerings from these guys.

3.9/5  rDev -12.6%

Pour is bright golden amber with a light haze and lots of tight white head. Nose is sticky caramel, slightly stale grain, a bit resinous and good bit of grapefruit and citrus. Taste is a bit cleaner, less grain but it was a bit stale in the nose, still some sweet sticky malt foundation but not overpowering, loads of citrus and dusty grapefruit, resinous hops mostly cleaned up. Light body and moderately carbonated, gentle bitterness through the finish and a soft feel.

4.25/5  rDev -4.7%

Drank as well as poured from a 12oz can.
Pours a cloudy light yellow hue. The head was moderate.
S- smell is floral and a touch of grapefruit citrus.
T- taste mild balanced hoppy taste, though juicy with floral and citrus notes. Etoh well hidden for 8.1%.
M- mouthfeel was light velvety and extremely drinkable.
O- overall are well balanced, rather drinkable DIPA. Doesn't pack the hop punch of many others; perhaps a nice alternative. Definitely better on the pour than in the can for this guy.

12oz can to glass

Pours a beautiful bright and hazy yellow. Just how I like my IPA/DIPAs to look. Tons of citrusy hop goodness on the nose. Taste is equally juicy and full of hop flavor. Not much bitterness to speak of, very, very easy to drink. The amount of hop aroma and juicy flavor actually remind me of the first time I had Heady in a can. Not saying it is better than Heady or anything, but to my nose/palate Mastermind provides a similar experience of waves of citrusy hop enjoyment with each sniff and sip.

Second Fiddle was very good, but I did find it a bit malty/sweet at times. Mastermind on the other hand is pretty much exactly how I like a DIPA, bright, light and lots of juicy citrus. Glad to hear they are canning more next week.

4.38/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured from a growler into a snifter glass.
Pours a hazy, light golden hue. Cloudy with flavor. The head was moderate to light.
Smells are fantastic. So floral. My nose picked up much more floral than citrus in this brew.
Taste was fantastic and a bit complex. Sweetness, hoppy juiciness, floral notes. A little alcohol on the finish.
Mouthfeel was very nice and left me wanting more.
Matty-O for all his focus on their flagship Fiddlehead IPA makes these amazing beers to compliment the IPA, Hodad, Mastermind, Second Fiddle, etc... To me these beers are what excites me about Fiddlehead.

3.75/5  rDev -15.9%

4.13/5  rDev -7.4%

4.8/5  rDev +7.6%

4.75/5  rDev +6.5%

Color is straw/light orange. Pours cloudy, almost opaque with the good stuff. Medium head falls to a small sticky ring. Aroma is orange/tangerine/lime with some cannabis and pineapple; a little sweet malt and alcohol in the background. Taste is similar, orange dominates early, then becomes dank and finishes with a trace of hot alcohol. Mouthfeel is like crawling into a hop sleeping bag. A lot like Heady but has some interesting hop character of its own. The only real fault is a touch of hot alcohol - smooth that out and it would be damn near perfect. I want to taste this alongside Heady soon.

edit: with the latest batch I've tasted (late October 2014) the hot alcohol has been pretty much fixed; still a little hint as a teaser but I can't really call it a fault. Great beer!

3.79/5  rDev -15%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

From a 12 oz can.
Very Pungent aroma.
A load of hop flavors but only moderate bitterness.
O: a big hoppy beer with relatively high drinkability.

Mastermind from Fiddlehead Brewing Company