Scratchin' Hippo - Adelbert's Brewery

Adelbert's Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Bière de Garde |  6.90% ABV

Beer added by: BgThang on 01-04-2012

Named to commemorate a night when the Naivasha House in Kenya was shaking so strongly Del thought it was an earthquake. It turned out to be a hippo from lake Naivasha scratching itself against the house. Scratchin’ Hippo is a complex malty beer low bitterness, with an earthy character approximately 6.8% ABV. Goes well with hearty rich foods like steak, roasts or beef stew.
Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Scratchin' Hippo Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.54/5  rDev -30.4%

#BOTG number 17! A new local Texas brew from a new brewery I have never tried. Looking forward to this one!

Corked and caged 750ml bottle. Cork comes out quickly with a loud POP! This thing is crazy carbonated, and a borderline gusher. Head hasnt quit coming out of the top of the bottle. The pour is dominated by head, but has a nice amber orange color to the pour. Great looking beer after it settles down, really nice head retention. Smell- band aid funk, nice breadiness, brown sugar, candied sugar. I theorize that the carbonation issues either come from yeast gone wild in the bottle conditioning process (too much fermentation process in the bottle) or some sort of infection. Tight white bubbles are visible on top of the beer, it reminds me of what some of my favorite wild ales look like. Band aid/plastic smell appears more after the head settles down. Taste- band aid, stingy carbonation. This lacks backbone. I wanted to have some sort of malt presence, but all I get here is a watery presence. I burped, got hardcore band aid. This beer is not good, I will blame it on the bottle being apparently infected, but I'm not sure I will give it another chance. Gross. (1,176 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a corked and caged 750ml bottle into a tulip glass. The cork nearly shot out of my hand and it quickly overflowed from the bottle. The label had good story about the brewery and the beer. And it had the bottled date (2/8/12), batch number (006) and bottle number (1974) - major kudos for doing that and making it easy to find!! It was a hazy orange amber color with massive carb streams. It had a four finger head that very, very slowly settled into a constant 1-2 finger foam. Made it hard to drink as it was very foamy.

The aroma was heavy with earthy aromas (had a bit of a dirt aroma to it) from the yeast and malts. Good dose of sweet as well from the sugars. Not bad but seemed different than my typical biere de garde. The taste was also very earthy with a very sweet finish. Had a hard time getting into this one. Something just isn't blending right for me. Mouthfeel was full and way over carbonated. Sweet aftertaste.

Overall, glad to see another Texas brewery on the scene and I hope to try more of their beers in the coming weeks but this one isn't for me. Avail here in TX obviously. Rotation - one was enough [N;N] (1,142 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -14.2%

A: Pours a murky, cloudy reddish color. A bubbly two finger white head forms and gently recedes. Not much lace.
S: Bread/biscuit, earthy yeast, burnt toast. A metallic twang lingers.
T: Follows the nose. Very earthy in the yeast character. Bread and biscuit. A lingering metallic flavor that detracts for me.
M/D: A light to medium body. Very effervescent, well I would say over carbonated. At the same time this is pretty thin. Not hard to drink if I wanted to, though not something I am going to pick up that often.

Not bad, but a one and done for me. There are much better Belgian interpretations from Texas no less, and around the world available. (652 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +6.3%

Nice biere de garde. The bottle was over-carbonated and belw off the cork. The Beer unfiltered and a bit murky, but I like that in a biere de garde.
A little more astringent than my taste. And too carbonated, took a while to pour a glass (all head).
A - Rich color, with a white head.
S - A little to yeasty - smells like unfiltered homebrew.
T - Nice although the carbonation makes it have more bite than it should. I let mine blow off for a while and it was nicer.
M - Nice rich feel with the depth of a fully fermented well aged beer.
O - A very nice beire de garde, a remarkable beer for so young a brewery. (613 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -0.8%

Day-old (but unopened) growler poured into a stemless tulip pint.

Look- Hazy amber-brown with one finger of chalk-white head that fell quickly to a thin film. Decent amount of lace left as the glass empties.

Smell- Amber malt, light yeast spice, rose water, faint lemon, maybe some white raisin. Sweet, but not overly so. Not as "farmhouse-y" as I was expecting, but appealing nonetheless.

Taste- Like it smells, plenty of graham-cracker-like malt, vanilla, and bit of root beer-like spice. Mild citric hop bite at the start, toffeelike finish. Nothing unexpected, but very well balanced.

Mouthfeel- Crisp start, medium to full body. Silky on the swallow. Mild tartness towards the end. Drinks like a spicy dubbel, which seems appropriate.

Overall- Mild for the style, not particularly interesting, but it's pretty darn tasty, and easy-drinking to boot. I'm not sure I'd pick it up regularly, but I might snag one on tap now and again. (942 characters)

This is a light malty-amber color with thin lacing around the top. There’s a slight funky tart aroma. Hop bitterness hits you up front. The biere de garde tartness comes through on the palate with a lingering finish. There’s a pleasing maltiness that becomes more apparent as it warms. This beer has a bitterness and an edge which makes for a nice contrast with the malt flavor as it warms. Slightly funky, too, while remaining easy going. Effervescent and filling. (469 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -12.1%

Another brewery from Austin? Where did these guys come from? Anyway, I saw a bottle on my last trip to ATX and I had to pick one up. Love the story on this one, let's see if the beer matches. Served in a Jester King stemmed glass.

Never had a Bierre de Garde before. No time like the present to try.

The beer has a fantastic, outstanding head. Retains its volume quite well. Reminiscent of a trappist ale. The body... not quite as lively. I can deal with that, though.

The previous reviewer that said this reminded them of a dubbel was dead on. Dubbel all the way, but somewhat uninteresting for the style. Spices seem muted. Nose seems a bit too sweet. Overall an OK version of the style, but not much more than that. I can't see myself buying another bottle of this over something like a Chimay Red... even though I like to support local craft.

This was a wholly forgettable offering. I'll have to try more beers in the future, but this initial offering makes me wonder how long they'll be around. (1,003 characters)

3.65/5  rDev 0%

Adelbert's Scratchin Hippo Belgian bier du guarde (basically a dubbel)
6.7% (acc to label, though website said 6.8%))
750ml cage/cork bottle from WhipIn 12/27/2011
debut release from Adlebert's Brewery, based in North Austin.

a - hazy translucent dark stained walnut wood brown, white medium/thin head that dissipates into an solid fine bubble sheet across the top
s - nice dark fruit malty with a nice lively tangy acidity, like plum
t - good dubbel profile, with a nice lively tangy acidity. Better than average dubbel, but starts to get a bit dry the more you drink. B to B+. (579 characters)

4.32/5  rDev +18.4%

pours like a begian bier de garde, and smells fruity and malty like one. the head is fairly dense.
Mouthfeel is a little sharp due to the mild to heavy carbonation but I can see this beer aging well.
lucky enough to snag a bottle at a local shop.

going to revisit this one in a year or two (294 characters)

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last