Scratchin' Hippo - Adelbert's Brewery

good

Adelbert's Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Bière de Garde |  6.90% ABV

Named to commemorate a night when the Naivasha House in Kenya was shaking so strongly Del thought it was an earthquake. It turned out to be a hippo from lake Naivasha scratching itself against the house. Scratchin’ Hippo is a complex malty beer low bitterness, with an earthy character approximately 6.8% ABV. Goes well with hearty rich foods like steak, roasts or beef stew.

(Beer added by: BgThang on 01-04-2012)
3.15/5  rDev -12.7%

Poured reddish orange with a yellowy head. The smell was purely of citrus fruits.
The taste was practically more of the same. Mostly citrus with some young tree bark thrown in. It's got good yeast character that gives it an excellent mouthfeel and some character that prevents it from being thin, citrusy nastiness, but I'm not getting much malt character. And earthiness? Meh. It's just fruity, primarily on the citrus side. Surprisingly fresh-tasting citrus at that, considering that it was brewed 6 months ago. That didn't seem to mellow it any. I'm going to have to NOT suggest this. If you're looking for citrus, but with body (in a way that works oddly well), go for it, but if you want malty and earthy like it claims to be, don't expect much.

4.15/5  rDev +15%

750ml corked and caged, the way God intended! VERY assertive "pop" of the cork, this beer wants to be drunk. I know how it feels. It is hazy copper with a big head that settles into a rocky, sticky off white. It smells of bananas, brown sugar, hay, and vanilla. The taste is wood, leather, biscuity and a dry finish. The mouthfeel is tingly and sticky and I know there's a joke in there somewhere. Overall, its a very good beer. Good flavor, not quite as "refreshing" as I tend to imagine when I think of this style but more interesting at the same time. This hippo can scratch me any time. That is what the kids are calling it these days, right?

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Grabbed this 11.1oz bottle from locally HEB Plus.

A: Poured a nice burnt orange with a little white top.

S: Found some notes of orange citrus and some toffee along with yeast.

T: Taste similars, malty and a little yeast.

M: Bitter hop and dry malt finish.

O: I would probably rate it higher after my second bottle in the future. It is easy to drink even thought it is my first biere de garde ale. Good job, Adelberts!

3.58/5  rDev -0.8%

Watch out, it’s explosive...The pour itself is a burnt orange sort of color with a tall white head. The nose is much sweeter than expected. Lots of sweet malt and fruit notes with a bit of yeastiness. Quite a lot of apple to it. The flavor is heavy on the sweet sugar and malt notes. Lots of apple and pear fruit notes, maybe white grape, and a hint of banana. There is a mild yeastiness, too. Really an odd, though not unenjoyable, beer.

4.18/5  rDev +15.8%

If you're a fan on Belgian's, especially Duval's, this is for you! Its got nice almond-caramel notes. But it still has that signature Belgian bitterness. Adelbert's Brewery maybe a young brewery, but it sure as hell knows what its doing. I'd definitely buy a six pack if they sold them at my local store.

4.08/5  rDev +13%

Spicy like your grandma's lazy Susan. It's pretty too, with it's perfect little bubbles and dark honey color. Very appetizing. Big malty candy bar smell blends well with lazy Susan effect. I haven't a clue what spices; they all seem to form one coherent spice profile. Bubbly going down, and no residual stickiness. Impressive. I'll buy more.

2.85/5  rDev -21.1%

Batch 005, bottled 12-15-11.

The beer is way over carbonated. As I was about halfway through unscrewing the cage, the cork shot out of the bottle and smashed into the ceiling. Not sure where the cage ended up, but I guess I will find it eventually.

Once the beer calmed down a bit, it pours a clear orange-amber color with a white head. The aroma has a good bit of coriander and pepper, as well as some toffee and orange citrus notes. The flavor has quite a bit of toffee and caramel, as well as some strong Belgian yeast notes. There is also a hint of coriander. The carbonation is way too high and the mouthfeel is about medium. Not sure what this would taste like if the carbonation was normal, but I think it would probably be better.

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

3.55/5  rDev -1.7%

Wow. This beer was incredibly over-carbonated. Before I finished unscrewing the wire-top, the cork ripped its way off the bottle, shot up, slammed against the ceiling and bounced off someplace unknown.

Then, I had to leave it in the sink until about half the contents of the bottle gushed out in the form of foam. They *really* need to get their krausening under control.

About 15 minutes after opening, was able to get a pour out, though it still had a colossal head. The beer is an orange-amber color, very cloudy. Aroma quite fruity.

Flavor is not really very good, though. It's a very dry beer offering little sweetness or malt character (the label claims "complex maltiness"--it's not). Hops are present but don't offer a lot in the way of flavor, just some additional drying bitterness.

I'm lowering the overall score on account of the fact nearly half the beer went down my drain (and the cork launch terrified my sleeping cat Eenie).

3.33/5  rDev -7.8%

A- Orange-y/reddish ale with little head and no lacing ... but lots of free-floating yeast.

S- Sweet fruits- fresh apple, pear, grapes?

T- Some bitterness and the aforementioned fruit, but otherwise rather watered down. Some malt and warmth.

M- Thin and little mouthfeel to note.

O- Have now had this beer on draft and in bottle and I just don't get it. Does get a bit better as it warms.

3.2/5  rDev -11.4%

Appearance: Gunshot cork was extremely willing to leave the bottle. Champagne bubbles but it didn't gush as others have reported. Pours into my chalice with a ridiculous 5 finger head of tan foam. Yeah, need to work on the carb levels. In a bit it settles out to a chunky half finger cover. Very hazy amber glass glows in back light.

Smell: Belgian yeast fruity esters, over ripe apricot, bit of fig, all on a sweet malty base.

Taste: Doesn't have the toffee or higher temp burnt sugar tastes, goes much more sweet and saision. Otherwise, it does have an earthy hop bitter dry finish that goes a bit dusty.
There's a slight soapy taste as well with an edge of green apple.

Mouthfeel: Suffers from the explosive carbonation dropping to a limp handshake. I think some of the soapiness I'm getting is actually from the texture. Big bubbled but flat.

Overall: A rookie effort, and it shows a bit. There's a home brew aspect here, that is good in the quality ingredients and passion. It's bad in the carbonation level and some mild off flavors that I think they can work out of the system with some practice. This is light, dry, and drinkable, but a bit off from style.
Cheers to a new Austin Brewery!

2.53/5  rDev -29.9%

#BOTG number 17! A new local Texas brew from a new brewery I have never tried. Looking forward to this one!

Corked and caged 750ml bottle. Cork comes out quickly with a loud POP! This thing is crazy carbonated, and a borderline gusher. Head hasnt quit coming out of the top of the bottle. The pour is dominated by head, but has a nice amber orange color to the pour. Great looking beer after it settles down, really nice head retention. Smell- band aid funk, nice breadiness, brown sugar, candied sugar. I theorize that the carbonation issues either come from yeast gone wild in the bottle conditioning process (too much fermentation process in the bottle) or some sort of infection. Tight white bubbles are visible on top of the beer, it reminds me of what some of my favorite wild ales look like. Band aid/plastic smell appears more after the head settles down. Taste- band aid, stingy carbonation. This lacks backbone. I wanted to have some sort of malt presence, but all I get here is a watery presence. I burped, got hardcore band aid. This beer is not good, I will blame it on the bottle being apparently infected, but I'm not sure I will give it another chance. Gross.

3.4/5  rDev -5.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Poured from a corked and caged 750ml bottle into a tulip glass. The cork nearly shot out of my hand and it quickly overflowed from the bottle. The label had good story about the brewery and the beer. And it had the bottled date (2/8/12), batch number (006) and bottle number (1974) - major kudos for doing that and making it easy to find!! It was a hazy orange amber color with massive carb streams. It had a four finger head that very, very slowly settled into a constant 1-2 finger foam. Made it hard to drink as it was very foamy.

The aroma was heavy with earthy aromas (had a bit of a dirt aroma to it) from the yeast and malts. Good dose of sweet as well from the sugars. Not bad but seemed different than my typical biere de garde. The taste was also very earthy with a very sweet finish. Had a hard time getting into this one. Something just isn't blending right for me. Mouthfeel was full and way over carbonated. Sweet aftertaste.

Overall, glad to see another Texas brewery on the scene and I hope to try more of their beers in the coming weeks but this one isn't for me. Avail here in TX obviously. Rotation - one was enough [N;N]

3.13/5  rDev -13.3%

A: Pours a murky, cloudy reddish color. A bubbly two finger white head forms and gently recedes. Not much lace.
S: Bread/biscuit, earthy yeast, burnt toast. A metallic twang lingers.
T: Follows the nose. Very earthy in the yeast character. Bread and biscuit. A lingering metallic flavor that detracts for me.
M/D: A light to medium body. Very effervescent, well I would say over carbonated. At the same time this is pretty thin. Not hard to drink if I wanted to, though not something I am going to pick up that often.

Not bad, but a one and done for me. There are much better Belgian interpretations from Texas no less, and around the world available.

3.9/5  rDev +8%

Nice biere de garde. The bottle was over-carbonated and belw off the cork. The Beer unfiltered and a bit murky, but I like that in a biere de garde.
A little more astringent than my taste. And too carbonated, took a while to pour a glass (all head).
A - Rich color, with a white head.
S - A little to yeasty - smells like unfiltered homebrew.
T - Nice although the carbonation makes it have more bite than it should. I let mine blow off for a while and it was nicer.
M - Nice rich feel with the depth of a fully fermented well aged beer.
O - A very nice beire de garde, a remarkable beer for so young a brewery.

Scratchin' Hippo from Adelbert's Brewery