't Gaverhopke Extra - Brouwerij 't Gaverhopke

't Gaverhopke Extra't Gaverhopke Extra

Brouwerij 't Gaverhopke visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  12.00% ABV

(Beer added by: NeroFiddled on 08-17-2009)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of 't Gaverhopke Extra Alström Bros

3.85/5  rDev -0.8%

3.8/5  rDev -2.1%

4.5/5  rDev +16%

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

4.2/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Cola brown body with a thick, sudsy head; flecks of yeast sediment bobby about (3.75). Oatmeal and raisin scent; ripe dark fruits; some booze; warm bread crust (4.25). Chocolate cookie flavor; toffee; brown sugar; light alcohol flavor; estery hints (4.25). Heavy body; vinous feel (4.0).

A big, boozy beer that does a fine job of keeping the ABV presence subdued with outstanding taste and smell components. Huge depth and complexity with the malt character that surely should satisfy strong ale fanatics.

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

4.75/5  rDev +22.4%

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

3.25/5  rDev -16.2%

3.5/5  rDev -9.8%

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%

2.85/5  rDev -26.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.75

I picked up a bottle of Brouwerij 't Gaverhopke's Extra a couple months ago for $4.69 at The Lager Mill. I was picking up a few different Belgian beers and I thought I would take a chance on this one, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into a snifter.

A- The label looks ok, but it's pretty simple looking and it isn't that eye catching. It poured a dark red brown color that took on more of a dark red hue when held to the light with pretty much no head at all just some bubbles that clung together for a little bit and it didn't leave any lacing behind. This wasn't the best looking beer, I wish it had some head and lacing.

S- The aroma starts off with a low amount of high sweetness followed by the malts being the first to show up and they impart a grainy, toasted, caramel, bready, bread crust and wheat like aromas followed by a big sweet and fruity aroma with some dark fruit and slight cherry like aromas seeming to stick out. Up next come a lighter vinegar like aroma with a strange nutty aroma towards the end. The aroma was ok, but it was a little strange.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with higher amount of medium sweetness followed by a weird watery fruit flavors that reminds me of watered down juicy juice and there also an acidic lighter vinegar flavor. Up next comes the malts which impart all the aspects that I got in the aroma with toasted, grainy, caramel, and bread crust flavors seeming to stick out the most. On the finish there's a somewhat lighter amount of medium tartness, with some grainy and toasted flavors showing up in the aftertaste. This was an ok tasting beer, I think the flavors seemed to clash a little and it was almost as strange as the aroma.

M- Not the smoothest, a little acidic, not crisp at all, on the somewhat lighter side of being medium bodied with a very low amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel wasn't that great, it needed some carbonation.

Overall I wasn't a big fan of this beer and I didn't think it was a good example of the style, it didn't really have most of the aspects that I look for in the style and If I tried this blind I think there would be no way that I would guess this was a Belgian Strong Dark Ale, to me it's a little similar to Flanders Red or something like that. This beer didn't have good drinkability, the alcohol was hidden very well and it wasn't filling, but the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention and I think half the bottle is enough for me, the acidity might start to wear on me after more than that. What I like the most about this beer was how well the alcohol was hidden, I was really surprised that hardly any alcohol showed up in the flavor and aroma. What I liked the least about this beer was the how the flavors clashed, to me the toasted, caramel and grainy flavors didn't work well with the acidic vinegar like flavors. I wouldn't buy this beer again and I wouldn't recommend it either. All in all I didn't really enjoy this beer, it was had an odd combination of flavors and aromas that didn't work that well together. This didn't make for a good first impression for this brewery and I'll be thinking twice before I think about buyinh any more of their beers. Better luck next time guys, this one just wasn't for me.

4.25/5  rDev +9.5%