't Gaverhopke / Tired Hands Bitter Sweet Symphony - Brouwerij 't Gaverhopke

't Gaverhopke / Tired Hands Bitter Sweet Symphony
No picture uploaded.

Brouwerij 't Gaverhopke visit their website

Belgian IPA |  7.80% ABV

(Beer added by: StaEva on 08-11-2011)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

3.25/5  rDev -18.1%

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

3.7/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

the place I went to try this had the tap handle on and it was listed both on the chalkboard and printed tap list, but to my amazement was not ready to serve and I was treated to Edmund Fitzgerald in a snifter instead. I would have been able to enjoy said Great Lakes brew for about twice the price had I not questioned the dark color of a "Belgian IPA" as it was described on the menu.
This was during happy hour and the lights were on so I was not easily fooled, but it took almost an hour for them to tap the 'key keg' which the beer I ordered came in.

The color was deep amber with moderate haze and thin cream of light beige with ultra fine bead. The smell is both citrus and herbal with some light candy sweet esters and mild yeast aromatics. The feel is both bitter and sweet as the name implies, however toward the end it is very sweet from the candy sugar utilized.

The taste is odd, it is not bad and is actually pretty flavorful when held in the mouth as it brings some lemongrass and other lemony citrus hop qualities however there is a full creamy yeast taste which brings along some phenolic and there is also a honey like sweetness in the taste from middle to the finish which brings to mind a lemon flavored cough drop if held in the mouth too long. The alcohol in the flavor adds to this dimension, but overall it does not overwhelm the palate. Overall I think the beer is pretty successful as a digestif - not bad if you don't plan on drinking another afterward. The overall fullness in body and sweetness level is a little off putting though and I don't really think I would attempt more than one serving at a time even though it is not cloying it is sweeter than most in this style.

4.03/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

A: 12 ounce bottle poured into a red wine glass yields a single finger of fine head on top of a dull, cloudy, rotten straw color. Head reduces to a nice solid cap that revives with a slight swirl. Not particularly inviting or appetizing. I rate the look high at 3.25 on the assumption that this is, as another reviewer noted, a "rustic" beer. Head reduces to a nice solid cap that revives with a slight swirl. Note: server took the liberty of pouring the dregs in a dark little circle in the middle of the head.*

S: Not much here at this serving temperature, not much more later as it warms. Malt, hay, distant over-ripe citrus, and a touch of yeast. I wish there were more here, I really had to dial up my sensitivity to get what was going on.

T: Flavors carry an interesting funky balance of yeast and malt, woody funk, grassy hay, tease of apricot, slight dry white vinous must. The hops characteristic is a bit elusive in the overall complexity and depth, but it is present, carrying subtle floral and woody notes. Is there a touch of sour? Perhaps, but maybe that's just another citrus note wrapped in yeast funk. My overall impression is of something primitive, yet sophisticated.

M: The body of this beer is a bit odd, but then so is every other aspect. So let us say that the dry, well-carbonated, dare I say fizzy body is in line with and compliments the other idiosyncrasies found here.

O: Once I get past the IPA label designation and just let this beer be what it be, I'm good with it. As with a lot of Belgian IPAs, it's heavy on the Belgian and the IPA part is lost on me. I'm sure my palate is more than a little biased toward the American IPA recipe, so if you are like me, set all that aside and enjoy this brew on it's own merit.

*I doubt that the dregs pour had much effect on this tasting, they were of minimal volume, and the beer came cloudy right from the start. I do want to go back and let a bottle settle well, and command my own pour to see if there is a difference.

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%