Anchor Old Foghorn - Anchor Brewing Company

good

pDev: 11%
Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

English Barleywine |  10.00% ABV

ABV varies slightly over the years.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
Reviews by Shiredave:
Shiredave

3.68/5  rDev -5.9%

I found this dusty little bottle way behind some 2003 and "04 stuff - no date just a brail type stamp of: " 2 0(G?) 3(8?)". I dont know what that means, or how long I've had it or if Anchor still puts Foghorn in these little 7 oz. bottles but Im thinking this is has been here at least 4 - 5 years. It's been in a good "cellar" but I'm not sure of the bottling year.

It pours a murky medium brown color with a tight tan head and lots of lacing.

Strong higher alcohol aromas blast the nose along with some pastey oxidized notes - this one has seen better days. The classic foghorn nose of rich toffee and stewed fruit is there but behind the stale scents.

Sour cherry flavors dominate a once succulently sweet flavor profile. Not a nasty sourness but a sour edge floats around the perimeter of bittered caramel and fruit. Full bodied, mouth flooding flavors to which the sour notes strangely both add and detract.

Finish is a long mix of warm alcohol, meloow smoldering bitterness and mild sour bite with a side order of oxidation funk.

This one was old and on the edge buy still quite drinkabe and interesting and complexly tasty after the stale aromas out gassed. Not the best example to crtique but worth noting that 3 years may be the max for optimal enjoyment when aging this one in the future.

02-15-2008 02:58:44 | More by Shiredave
oberon

4.08/5  rDev +4.3%

Pours tawny brown color with a few light highlights with a thin lace,aroma is deeply fruity and a little alcoholic.Taste is rich and warming alot of fruity estures with a hint of molassis with an underlying herbal,grassy flavor in the finish.A nice complex brew but whats up with the tiny bottles?

04-13-2004 02:23:16 | More by oberon
RoyalT

Appearance – Clear, orangish-brown body that produced a big head that left quickly, which is very typical of the style.

Smell – This one has the sweet, malty, alcoholic aroma of a good barley wine. There’s also some hop bitterness there for balance, but mostly the smell announces a sugary substance.

Taste – Yes, there’s a big sweetness from this one. The malt is present but clearly in the background. The main thrust of this brew is the sweetness, predominantly alcoholic molasses and brown sugar. There are some dark fruits as well; mostly bloody peaches and plums doused in table sugar, but the molasses and brown sugar are the strongest. Lastly, there’s a slight floral hop balance to round this one out.

Mouthfeel – This one is flat and smooth and full-bodied.

Drinkability – This is a great sipping beer. I had this with a charbroiled tenderloin, and it was heaven.

Update – This is one of the first ales that I rated after joining the site in 2003, so I thought it would be fun to re-rate it with a 2004 vintage. I “ditto” the review from over a year ago. It isn’t as hoppy as some American BWs but goes down quite well.

09-02-2003 03:43:13 | More by RoyalT
DanGeo

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

06-24-2013 11:22:41 | More by DanGeo
TCHopCraver

3.48/5  rDev -11%

A: Pours a rich mahogany into a medium wine glass. Looks ruby-brownish when held to light. Its thin, 1-finger head dissipates quickly. A thin, sticky lacing clings to the glass as the beer goes down my gullet.

S: Caramel-toffee with a big, roasty malt aroma. Also some black currant, anise, and definitely some brown sugar and cinnamon hints. A very sweet, almost port-like aroma.

T: Sweet barley malarmey! Rich malt sweetness dominates this brew. A very liqueur- like quality with heavy brown sugar accents are present. Definitely a dessert-style sipper. Fruit flavors include raisin and fig. I would really appreciate a little more hop bitterness to balance out the huge malt presence, but the lack of hop flavor certainly doesn't ruin the taste. Just a little booziness is detectable near the end of a sip. Medium carbonation.

M: I really enjoy the feel of this beer. It is really creamy with a medium-heavy sweetness that coats the entire palate. Sticky-icky (in a good way).

D: The sweetness of it leads me to not give it a great rating... I really enjoyed about the first 2/3 of the brew, but the last 1/3 was just a little too sweet and sticky. One and done for me, thank you, and I'll probably enjoy another in a couple of months or so.

02-07-2010 21:41:04 | More by TCHopCraver
MadScientist

03-27-2013 03:19:21 | More by MadScientist
brownbeer

Missouri

3.85/5  rDev -1.5%

A- Deep amber, fluffy off-white head.

S- Classic robust barleywine aroma. Spicy, fruity hops, pine, toffee, doughy, with an alcohol presense.

T- This was a let down for me after the great nose. It kind of fell flat. The hops almost disappeared. Malty caramel, banana, raisin fading to a warm alcohol feel.

M- Medium bodied with light, soft carbonation. Needs more body but it still works for the most part.

D- Well made beer,easy drinking, but I kind of lose my interest after one.

11-05-2009 02:52:30 | More by brownbeer
kaimcm

3.95/5  rDev +1%

bottle, but not just any bottle, one of those little 7 ounce bastards that I love so much which are now gone. little 7 ounce bastard, I salute you and your achievments. poured into a Caracole snifter.

A: deep brownish/burgundy hue. light sploch on the off white head. disipates quickly but no surprise there.

S: cant decide if its more caramel or brown sugar, vanilla, white grapes, a hint of pear, alcohol.

T: light, sweet but not cloying, and complex sugar profile. very clean malt bill to support the sugars. butter, vinous, grape like aromas translate easily into similar flavors. dries somewhat during the finish which is a nice balance and ends somewhat fruity, apples, pears, barely tart.

M: honestly a little too light for the style. and at what used to be a 7ounce serving, Anchor shouldnt have been that concerned with thinning the viscosity to make it more drinkable. I would like to see a heavier more, viscous mouthfeel.

D: a damn tasty brew. im curious to see how the switch to 12 oz bottles goes over. ill pick some up myself and see how i feel after 12 instead of the 7 im used too.

01-27-2006 04:30:30 | More by kaimcm

sdsimkins

04-16-2013 15:03:09 | More by sdsimkins
Dmann

4.53/5  rDev +15.9%

I thought this was a great barleywine. I had this on tap at the San Diego Brewing Co. tonight and it was great! The first thing I noticed was the great smell of spices, plum and a slight scent of alchohol. The taste had a good portion of maltiness with a good balance of hoppiness and a good spice/plum flavor. This was a great beer on tap and much better than out of the bottle.

11-01-2003 09:15:16 | More by Dmann
BJ1833

Kansas

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Presentation: 7 oz bottle

Appearance: Dark amber color with thin white head

Aroma: Smell of roasted malt and slight nut character. Aroma of plums and raisins.

Taste: Sweet taste of roasted malt and dark fruits. Alcohol taste is present, but not overpowering. Slight spiciness in the finish.

Mouthfeel: Low carbonation with a smooth, almost creamy mouthfeel.

Overall: Good barleywine that would go down great on a winter night. Complex flavors blend well into an extremely enjoyable brew. This is a beer that you want to stop analyzing and just sit back and enjoy.

09-08-2004 00:51:50 | More by BJ1833
skybluewater

Pours a lovely deep cherry color. No head, no lace (although I believe that's normal for this style...). Smell is quite nice, with a bit of raisin and cherry poking through. I really like the taste. There's a little raisin, a little cherry, with a nice maltiness (with a bit of caramel) and some hops. The mouthfeel is pretty full, although it gets a little weaker as the beer warms.

This is only my second barleywine, but I'm really developing a liking for this style (along with old and strong ales). This is a nice little beer (that comes in a cute little bottle) to sip on a bitterly cold winter's eve. (Although 7 ounces isn't enough...)

12-24-2004 00:18:23 | More by skybluewater
orbitalr0x

4.38/5  rDev +12%

Old Foghorn pours from the 12oz bottle into my tulip glass a deep dark reddish brown with a nice creamy khaki head atop. Spotty lacing forms all over the side of the glass as garnet hues shine out when I hold it up to the light. Aroma is rich, sweet caramelly malt, dark fruits, cherries and brown sugar. There's a really nice herbal, green, slightly citric hoppiness throughout. Quite nice.

First sip brings a rich, fruity, caramelly maltiness with hints of cherry, molasses and burnt sugars. This is followed by a nice wave of herbal hoppiness, a touch citrusy, that brings a nice flow of bitterness to the back of the palate. This is a tasty barleywine and I'm glad to see it coming in full 12oz bottles now. Quite refined with a nice malt/hop balance and bold flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with good steady carbonation. A decent bit lighter in body that many other barleywines...but it serves to make it all the more drinkable. I could see sitting down to a few bottles of this with no problem at all. My fiance also enjoyed this with me as she has been getting into barleywines! Definetly a brew that everyone should try at least once.

01-19-2006 02:30:59 | More by orbitalr0x
bulldogg915

Wyoming

03-06-2014 21:08:42 | More by bulldogg915
chOAKbarrell

Maryland

3.1/5  rDev -20.7%

Pours a murky reddish brown color. Small head. Malty nose. There's a detectable alcohol taste, which I'm not really into. Kind of sweetish too, which I'm also not into. A bit syrupy. Can't say I'm really liked this one. Dont think I'll be getting it again, and certainly not for $12+ a six pack.

11-22-2005 02:02:43 | More by chOAKbarrell
EastBay_Nick

07-13-2013 21:22:39 | More by EastBay_Nick
lordofthewiens

Maine

I enjoyed this beer. Maybe not as aggressive as some American barleywines, but still a good beer. Served in a tulip the beer was a hazy burnt sienna color with a medium tan head. It had a sweet caramel aroma, with some fruit also noticeable. The caramel came through quite well in the taste, as did a little bit of cherry and some late hops. A smooth, enjoyable beer.

07-25-2008 22:18:09 | More by lordofthewiens
NWer

Washington

3.15/5  rDev -19.4%

Poured nice dark amber into a wine snifter. Moderate golden head. Smells nice. The taste is balanced enough to style for an English Barleywine but the maltiness is too milky. The sweetness leaves an unpleasant aftertaste that gets old quickly.
I'm glad I tried it once.

06-10-2011 21:53:28 | More by NWer
DaftPatrick

03-19-2014 22:15:05 | More by DaftPatrick
Todd

Colorado

3.75/5  rDev -4.1%

On tap @ the Sunset Grill in Allston, MA.

A murky deep dark brown with ruby edges ... little to no head.

Esters and a big alcohol nose. Grape, herbal and a bit spicy with some backing soft malts in the aroma.

Smooth, mature and extremely mellow -- medium bodied, and a bit thin for a Barleywine. Big malt flavours, grape, raisin and plenty of complex esters. Nice dose of spicy alcohol and mingling hops.Thin caramel and chocolate -- a bit buttery. Light oxidation in the finish leaves a cardboard/wet paper flavour on the palate.

The 2001 on tap seems to be holding up somewhat. I definately enjoyed this beer, but I recommend letting it warm to near room temperature in order to release more flavours.

09-08-2002 05:58:40 | More by Todd
grynder33

Wisconsin

3.48/5  rDev -11%

I got a amberish brown color pour, a big head for a barleywine, much less of an aroma than I had hoped for, mouthfuls going down were smooth hoppy kind of a cherrish taste with kind of a bitter sweet fruity aftertaste. I found this to be just a little to sweet for my tastes.

10-18-2003 11:34:39 | More by grynder33
marvin213

3.53/5  rDev -9.7%

I just poured this here Old Foghorn into my Carolina Brewery pint glass in a hurry. This suprisingly dark barleywine came gushing out and topped off the glass with a big, thick head. It quickly dissipated into a thin, topping layer within a minute of the pour. I started sorta squinting my eyes at it wondering why it's so dark. It's almost like an amber red. Is it gonna taste like a barleywine? I bring it to my nose and smell...and smell...and...not much of anything, honestly. I put it down and try again. Nothing.

Time to taste. I'm instantly reminded of Sprite marketing because image is nothing. It definitely tastes better than nothingness; nevertheless, it's nothing special. Old Foghorn definitely seems like a malty-type barleywine to me. Is that supposed to happen? I'm sorta wierded out. I keep looking at it and smelling it, not knowing what to think, but each taste strikes me as suprisingly good--at least relative to how it appears.

I went back to get and read the bottle. Its description is purty accurate--it is indeed a malty "barleywine style." The label says "ideal" for after dinner, though I'd only go so far as "appropriate." The mouthfeel is the best part. The chocolatey malt and the "barleywine style" sit and tingle my whole mouth with yummy sweetness quite well.

I keep looking at it inquisitively. I smell it again. Maybe it smells more like a barleywine as it warms slightly. Still, I judge beer smell more on immediate effect--straight from its home. The beer is good. Its taste, again, is better than its image. Mouthfeel is quite good.

Since thirst is still everything (at least in line with my Sprite motif), I'll say I'd definitely drink another one, maybe even two...but writing home about it, I probably wouldn't do.

02-28-2009 02:54:01 | More by marvin213