2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Anchor Old Foghorn - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Old FoghornAnchor Old Foghorn

good

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

English Barleywine |  10.00% ABV

ABV varies slightly over the years.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-15-2001)
View: Beers (21) |  Events
Ratings: 1,570 | Reviews: 992 | Show All Ratings:
martyl1000

Wisconsin

4.06/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

11/1/2013
Reviewing this on a second take, nearly a year after the first time I had it, for which I gave it a quick rating of 4.75 (11/26/2012). Definitely downgrading that.

It's certainly a beautiful beer in a snifter, clear motor-oil golden goodness, with a luxurious off-white head and serious legs sticking to the glass.

The aroma is a big disappointment, with esthery alcohol pretty much all I'm getting, and maybe a faint honey. The flavor in the mouth is not very complex, with a banana sweetness, bready malt, fruity alcohol, and a fig/prune sweetness. It's surprisingly low bitterness makes learning that this was dry hopped leaves me scratching my head. The awesome creamy mouth feel may be this brew's saving grace.

My wife likes it a lot, so I think I'll bump up the flavor points. Total score: 4.2
---
UPDATE
4/6/2014
I'm nodding my head at my previous review and score (though I'm also lowering that score). The huge banana/fig/prune/honey sweetness is a bit much. It's my least favorite barley-wine flavor--cloying, sickeningly sweet. You also find it in Weyerbacher Insanity, Shipyard Double ESB, Lakefront Beer Line, North Coast Old Stock (the worst in this list), and Big Eddy Ryewine. If only it were balanced by some floral or citrus hop bitterness. There's also an undercurrent of leather that's slightly offputting.

In the aroma, there's a tart, fuming fusile alcohol that reminds one of Hendrick's gin.

04-06-2014 23:29:31 | More by martyl1000
Bosoxfan20

Missouri

3.96/5  rDev +1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A- Pours a clean, deep amber. Probably more of a dull brown really. Full 1.5 finger khaki head that hangs around for about a minute.

S- Caramel toasted malt and fruity esters. A little boozy. A little sweet. Pretty standard barleywine aroma with a solid presence.

T- Terrific balance. Doesn't have the age that I usually prefer on this style, but this one isn't hot or "green" tasting in the least bit. Sweetness forward and the piney hop presence lingers on the back end. Smooth

M- On the lighter side of the style by today's standards, but makes for easier drinkability as well. Not quite the sipper that others can be. Mid body bordering on full and just creamy enough to coat the tongue.

O- I wouldn't go so far as to say the flavors are bold, but effortless nature of this one is really impressive. Given that it's a bit lighter for the style, this is one that could pair well with scallops, duck, or game meats.

04-06-2014 03:31:42 | More by Bosoxfan20
samtrillo

3.51/5  rDev -10.5%

A - Deep Amber Hue. Head dissipated quickly.

S - Caramel, candied malt. Fruity pebbles.

T - Sweet fruity barley malt. Extension of the smell. Slight hit of hops at the end. Alcohol aftertaste mixed with lingering sugar is a bit unpleasant.

M - Medium to full bodied with a desirable amount of carbonation.

O - My second of this style and it seems to be an acquired taste but at least I can see why it'd be good. Can't wait to see what this is like aged but I guess I will. Until next year...

04-04-2014 07:24:57 | More by samtrillo
safaricook

Netherlands

3.66/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Very clear deep amber body with some coarse bubbles and a beige head that last rather long considering the style and high ABV.
Aroma is caramel malts, piney hops, a wood character, sugar candy, ester, idea of maple sirup.
Rather sweet caramel malt taste just kept in check by a hoppy bitterness, maple sirup, soja sauce.
Smooth carbonation, full body, warming alcohol.
Not my favorite style as it is too sweet for me most of the time, but this one is pretty drinkable. Good one for a late evening sipper.

04-03-2014 18:50:17 | More by safaricook
whatthehull

3.98/5  rDev +1.5%

Tasted July 21rst 2011 (from notes)

A - blood red, three finger off white head and some ok lacing

S - wine barrels, flowers, super sweet, lots of toasty malts, very sugary, earthy but sweet hops and there is a note that a I can't describe!

T - hoppy, cherries, wine barrels, vanilla, molasses, super sugary, flowers, toasted malts, soil, citrus and a nice bitterness

M - full bodied, nice complexity, well balanced, low acidity and long finish

D - great from finish to start, nice big sweet with a great floral, citrus hop finish. Not huge on this brewery, but this beer is awesome

Final thought - try this one! Great price at $2 a pop and 8.8 ABV, awesome beer!

03-28-2014 19:29:04 | More by whatthehull
ranger7

3.73/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.
Review from notes: February 7th, 2014.

A: Amber with off-white head which quickly disappears.

S: Citrus; lemon with slight hop aroma.

T: Somewhat bitter and boozy. It gets better as I drink.

M: Interesting. Slick and thick.

O: This is my first taste of this style. It's pretty interesting. The only negative with this brew is that it is expensive around here, around $3 a bottle.

03-07-2014 03:50:33 | More by ranger7
DamageCase76

Ontario (Canada)

4.43/5  rDev +13%

App: Deep mahogany reddish brown with moderate lacing

Smell: Complex rich aromas of raisin, fig, dried fruit, roasted nuts and hints of vanilla and brown sugar.

Taste: sweet, full bodied, rich and complex flavours mirror the nose but add more depth, baked apples and spice come through.

Mouthfeel: full and rich, alcohol is noticeable but balanced by sweet malty and dried fruit characters.

Overall: Fantastic beer! Have this with a beauty of a blue cheese for dessert or all on its own and enjoy the changing complexity of the beer, with its long, ever changing finish that goes from nuts to dried fruit to baking spices.

02-07-2014 05:43:53 | More by DamageCase76
BierJager89

4.43/5  rDev +13%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: Somewhat transparent red, with a brown head.

S: Sweet, citrus, cherry, orange in the nose.

T: Apple, cherry, plum, apricot, grape flavors. Delicious.

M: Full bodied and smooth.

O: Wow. This beer is underrated. It's by far my favorite beer from Anchor (that said, I have yet to try their barrel aged beer).

01-17-2014 21:36:27 | More by BierJager89
Jim_Benz

3.51/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

After a vigorous pour in a snifter at cellar temp:

appearance: Almost two inches of cream-colored head, a dark amber body. Very clear, very pretty.

smell: At first sniff, indistinct hops and sweetness, but after a moment the sweetness swallows the hops and begins to reveal subtle notes of honey, biscuit, fig and apricot. Interesting.

taste: Sweet, practically begging for oxidation to bring out some sherry; very little bitterness to offset the sweetness but good all the same. Rich malt, bisquit, honey, apricot, a little dark fruit. Marachino cherry? Odd--the sweet cherry starts to dominate when I think of it.

mouthfeel: perfectly carbonated, a little sticky due to the overt sweetness, medium to thick.

overall: Could be better, especially with some oxidation. More bitterness would help too, but only if it accentuated the existing flavors which are promising. I'll have another bottle soon but then let it sit for a few months and try it again.

01-13-2014 23:52:36 | More by Jim_Benz
JohnnyBarman

Ontario (Canada)

4.24/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Single bottle picked up at Premier Gourmet in Buffalo, as part of a Christmas haul. Enjoyed on one of the coldest evenings so far this winter.

Poured into my Duvel tulip glass. Dark caramel-ruby, with a half inch of head that settles into a thick ring. A few flecks and streaks of lacing as well.

Nose is very malty and quite pleasant - bit of cherry, grape, oak and faint piney hops. Has that large malt and booze smell that is unmistakably 'barleywine'.

If you're like me, and you like your barleywines a bit on the sweeter, maltier side, this one is just the ticket. Sweetness is quite noticeable, but has a nice puckery hop finish to it that is quite refreshing and makes me want to come back for more. Same fruit, oak and mild pine notes to it as in the nose, as well as some English hopping.

Sticky, medium thickness, carbonation is mild but assertive enough. Very easy to sip.

Tasty barleywine, sweeter than most, which lets the malt get its full billing. Great evening sipper.

01-02-2014 06:39:51 | More by JohnnyBarman
Spikester

Oregon

4.38/5  rDev +11.7%

Pours dark brown but looking through it against my computer screen it is ruby red. Nice two finger light tan head that sticks around to the half way mark Nice clumps of lacing.
Smell is big malty molasses with some cherries and plums.
Taste is similar very sweet with lots of plum and dark cherry flavors.
Mouthfeel is full close to chewy. Carbonation is adequete. Finish sticky sweet with just a hint of bitterness at the very end.
Very tasty desert beer wish they would bump up the hops a touch.

12-31-2013 08:38:47 | More by Spikester
sommersb

Tennessee

4.33/5  rDev +10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Tasted On: 12-29-2013
Freshness: Bottled 08-21-2013
Packaging: 12 oz. brown bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Tulip
Purchased: Single from Frugal MacDoogal, Nashville

This is a beer I've wanted to try for some time. We just recently started getting more of Anchor's offerings in Nashville, so I was delighted to pick some bottles up...

The beer pours with a reddish-brown color that is semi-clear. The off-white head starts out at about a head high, but fades pretty quickly (OK for a beer of this ABV). Lacing is good.

Aromas let you know this is a malt-dominated ale, with rich notes of dark fruits and some woodiness. The fruits that come to mind are raisins, dark cherries and figs.

The taste matches the nose well, with sweetness of caramel malts chiming in first and foremost. The thickness and richness make me think of molasses. There is an earthly bitterness of hops too, but this is of low strength. Full-bodied on the mouthfeel, the finish leaves you with more of the same as in the taste; woodiness, dark sweet fruit and caramels.

Overall I really like this barleywine. I think I prefer American versions with their higher hop levels than the English kind such as this, but this is an excellent brew and I'd have it again. I think it would be wonderful with a cigar or pipe, sipping slowly.

12-30-2013 05:32:19 | More by sommersb
soju6

Missouri

4.05/5  rDev +3.3%

a nice ruby red color with a small tan head. Aroma of malt and barley, bit of citrus and fruity. There is just a hint of alcohol. Taste of Malt and Barley with some caramel sweetness, fruity with a bit of citrus. Mild bitterness and a clean finish. Has a moderate body, smooth with no real hint of the 8.8% ABV. Very well balanced. great sipper to kick back and relax with.

12-06-2013 16:47:33 | More by soju6
FLima

Brazil

3.89/5  rDev -0.8%

Due date Jan-15.
Dark amber color with one finger head with low retention.
Intense aroma of pine resin, caramels, toasted malts and spices. I was expecting more from its aroma.
Sweet fruity flavor with lots of red fruits, citrus hops, caramels, plums, apple juice, raisins, toasted malts, molasses, tangerine, cherries, rum, licorice and finishing with oak. You really have to stop looking for more fruity esters because they will keep coming. Dry and bitter aftertaste.
Full body with appropriate carbonation. Slightly citric and sticky. Alcohol of 9.4% abv is relatively well hidden.
A sweet fruity Barley wine, very complex. Worth trying.

11-22-2013 20:56:53 | More by FLima
kojevergas

3.26/5  rDev -16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I just chanced across a 2005 vintage at my local bottle store for $2.99 USD and snapped it up. Date code: "5J7" (2005 January 27th). Reviewed live. Expectations are high; I have a great respect for Anchor Brewing. I love Anchor's bottles and the label art here is no exception. Then again, it's rare I enjoy a beer that's been aged more than 5 years. 12 fl oz brown glass bottle with branded classy twist-off pressure cap served into a Glenmorangie whisky tumbler glass. Reviewed at low altitude in Austin, Texas.

Served cold - straight from me fridge - and allowed to warm over the course of consumption. Side-poured with a little extra vigor as carbonation issues are anticipated given its age.

A: No bubble show forms as it's poured.

Pours a half finger khaki colour headd of above average thickness. Recedes to a ring within 20 seconds, but the ring is strong and thick and holds for an additional 3 minutes - not too shabby for a beer with nearly 9 years on it. Good consistency and complexion.

Body colour is rich and dark; a very dark auburn or copper perhaps. Quasitranslucent if you count the reflection lighting on the bottom of the glass. Nontransparent. No yeast particles are visible.

Overall, it's looking pretty standard for the style and quite good for its age. It's impressive it's held up this well; if I didn't know in advance it wasn't fresh I doubt I'd suspect anything based on the appearance alone.

Sm: The powerful aromatics were the first thing I noticed upon opening. The aroma fills the room - wonderfully rich toffee and caramel notes, plentiful residual sugars, and an indistinct fruitiness. When I bring the glass a bit closer, I pick up faint traces of the beginnings of oxidation - a hint of cardboard and a dab of stale malts. Somewhat tannic. A kiss of port wine. There's still plenty of sweetness too - I get a lot of English brown malt and biscuit malt. Toasty character. Faded brown sugar. Any hop profile has melded into the malts. The fruit is half exquisite, half muted. Faint cherries, grape, and hints of stonefruit. Sticky rum. Sugarcane. Bread crust and bready malts.

No yeast character is detectable. Some alcohol warmth is noticeable.

It's a good aroma for a barleywine, but I fear oxidation may hold it back. I also suspect the balance has fallen apart a bit. It seems a bit off-peak, but I'll find out once I taste it. Certainly English in character.

A rich aroma of deceptively high strength.

T: Oxidation has definitely begun, but it hasn't deteriorated all that much - especially compared to other barleywines I've had at or around this age (see my reviews for Sierra Nevada Bigfoot). It has come apart a bit, but it's still fairly approachable for an aged barleywine. Faint hints of wet cardboard and stale malts are present throughout.

It's got a syrupy brown malt body with lots of sweet English biscuit malt. Toffee and caramel are strong here. Bready malts. Crust. Vague fruit - stonefruit, depleted cherry, over-fermented plum skin. Some light sugarcane/rum notes. A bit of marshmallow. Molasses. Raisin. Brandy notes.

No (dead) yeast character or hop character comes through. Alcohol is noticeable but not distracting.

No, the balance isn't ideal. It's a bit past-peak, but still enjoyable. Not cloying, but too sweet. Good depth of flavour. Above average duration and intensity of flavour. Once this warms up a bit, its nuance really emerges. Nice complexity and some pretty good subtlety. A cohesive build, but not a gestalt one.

Mf: The mouthfeel of an aged barleywine can ruin it. Luckily, this isn't too syrupy, dry, stale, rough, or astringent. It is a bit too thick, and is slightly rubbery on the backend. Good carbonation - especially for its age. Thank God it's not flat. A bit dry to style. Good smoothness/coarseness. Has some alcohol warmth. It's done well with time.

Not oily, gushed, or boozy.

Dr: I stand by my general rule of not aging a beer more than 5 years, but this was a nice treat for the night. I won't go back to the store for the 3 or 4 other bottles they have at $2.99, but I'm glad I tried this once. I'd like to try it fresh, and I do think I'd like it better fresh. I'm not sure what that says about aging it. In any case, I definitely prefer it to Bigfoot and I'd like to try it with less than 5 years on it - ideally 3. Anchor's brought out an interesting barleywine with a build that is now seemingly the standard. Definitely a heavy brew to bring out during the cold winter months. This sipper will take some time for me to take down alone. I certainly wouldn't want a second in the same night (or even the same week) - it's an acquired taste. Barleywine newcomers should look elsewhere for an introduction to the style.

Serve chilled and let warm.

The soaky rum was a standout note for me, and the marshmallow was a pleasant surprise.

Drinks quite well from a whisky tumbler.

High C+ cold. Low B- at room temperature.

11-15-2013 01:13:00 | More by kojevergas
DC_St_Johns

Rhode Island

3.66/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I finished the last bottle of this beer that I could find. I've had this beer for years and over the past two it has become increasingly difficult to find.

Store managers have complained that they've been unable to get it. The last six-pack I found was clearly older, stored in the back of their cooler.

The flavors of the last few six packs (batches) that I've purchased do not remind me at all of the beer I once loved. I'm going to summarize what I remember vs. what I've experienced with this last batch from 2012, had during October/November of 2013.

Nose: Used to be an "American style" aroma of citrus and small flowering plants. I believe that they dry-hop it with Cascade, and that was what I remember, the old grapfruit aroma. However, I personally always thought this beer had another aroma in addition to the grapefruit - perhaps a bit of lavender. There were definitely malt aromas as well, with a bit of toffee and I know I used to think of a spice, but it escapes me now. The aroma of the latest batch: the aroma is very flat, not very citrus or floral. Granted, hop aroma diminishes, but the beer was not a year old yet. The malt aromas came through a bit, but has a tinge more of a sour smell than sweet citrus, if that even makes sense.

Appearance: A nice unfiltered look to it, not quite cloudy, but not translucent either. A brown that reminds me of an autumn leaf, not dark, but lighter brown with reddish accents. There was very little head to the beer. The appearance is much as I remember.

Taste and feel: This beer used to have plenty of hop flavor, with the grapefruit flavors and flavors of caramel sweetness. I don't know what malt they used, but it always made me think of a nuttier style of malt. Had a decent amount of residual sweetness, almost too much, but not quite, as I recall. Not bready in the malt, but not crisp like some very malt forward British beers. Not very acidic either, was what I recall. I let the beer warm to at least 55 degrees F before opening. I prefer a "cellar temperature" or warmer Barleywine and this had been in the fridge. The malt still did not shine through, so I let it warm further, but I did not experience an improvement. It had a definite acidity to it, and the bitterness was not very apparent. I was surprised how low it was, but still didn't taste incredibly malty. It did not taste infected, per se. I tasted a Fuller's ESB, just to compare how bitter the flavor was, and Fullers' was much more apparent. Mouthfeel did seem a bit more astringent than I remember, with the "fat" or "round" sugar profile feeling more biting. I didn't pucker, but it felt a little a little drier in some way I couldn't place.

I just don't think I'll be going back to this, which is sad, because it was one of my favorites. I was excited to see it, but "the thrill is gone". Luckily, there are many more out there to try.

11-07-2013 15:13:28 | More by DC_St_Johns
MistahBeah

4.21/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Pours a clear chestnut. Small amount of carbonation. Creamed coffee-colored head with minimal retention. Permanent ring of tiny bubbles with swirls of lace in the center

Smells of dark stone fruits - notably plums and sweet cherries. Rich caramel and toffee. Oak and vanilla. Traces of booze. Floral notes

Taste follows the nose. Big fruity esters - plums, cherries, pears. Darker figs and prunes. Additional sweetness comes from caramel and toffee. Faint traces of vanilla but woody oak comes through nicely. Boozy warmth

Feels warming. Rich and smooth. Very full

Overall a nice readily-available barleywine. Nice for sipping as dessert or for warming up on a cold night

11-03-2013 22:42:55 | More by MistahBeah
ThickNStout

Georgia

4.03/5  rDev +2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

12oz bottle from Luekens (Dunedin, FL). 1.99. Bottled 8/31/2010. Served in a Burnt Hickory snifter.

Pours a deep chestnut red with a finger and a half manilla head. A fair amount of sediment. Head fades to a thin but consistant cap and leaves dots of lace.

Smells rich. Stone fruits, toffee and caramel but with bizzarre faint almost rubbery notes in the background.

Taste delivers on the nose. Plums, prunes, raisins, dates, caramel and toffee. Just a soft hint of alcohol underneath. Nice blend of flavors that mix and mingle well.

Creamy medium body with light carbonation. Coats the tongue for a long rich finish.

This is my first experience with Old Foghorn and it has exceeded all of my expectations. To varying degrees, it hits all the notes I like in an English barleywine. Seeing as this bottle is over 3 years old apparently this also ages like a champ. I'll need grab a six pack this winter to try some fresh. If I don't like it fresh I at least know I'll like it later.

11-03-2013 17:11:41 | More by ThickNStout
Mikecap

Louisiana

3.54/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Poured a murky reddish amber with two fingers of khaki head that fades quickly, very little lacing.

Smell: Raisins, dark fruit, booze and some pine. Decent for a barleywine, but not amazing. Touches of oak as well.

Taste: Some pine, a good dose of alcohol, maybe some banana and a lot of spice. well rounded overall.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with good carbonation for the style and definite hints of alcohol. A sipper for sure.

Overall: A good barleywine, while not my favorite, certainly worth a try.

10-28-2013 01:21:33 | More by Mikecap
BergBeer

4.34/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

12oz bottle poured into a snifter

A: Caramel brown with a vanilla head. Nice head for a barley wine with some lacing.

S: Toffee, caramel, green apple, sweet malt, earthy bread tones, slight bananas, honey, and a bit of booze. Smells Great!

T: Banana bread, sweet malt, honey , spices, green apple, clove, tangerine, oats, and whole grain.

M: Sweet but not too sweet. Sticky on the tongue and goes down with a bit of heat on the back. Really drinkable for a barley wine but still a sipper. Sticks to the side of your mouth almost like eating a lollipop.

O: Really enjoyed this brew. One of the most drinkable barely wines I've had with out losing it's complexity. Lots of really nice tastes in this one that almost changes sip to sip! Try it out!

10-25-2013 19:49:35 | More by BergBeer
dowen17

Alabama

3.56/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear dark orange hue with a nice two finger burnt caramel head. Decent retention. Holds around a pinkies worth.

On the nose is some tartness. Alcohol. Definite grainy sweetness. Sourdough bready malts. Nice.

Taste mirrors the nose. Very refreshing bready flavors. A little tartness up front but faint. A bit of alcohol but not overpowering at all. Very very refreshing and easily drinkable.

Great carbonation and body. Again, super refreshing.

10-18-2013 20:47:18 | More by dowen17
Lemke10

Wisconsin

4.2/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

This pours a medium amber color with a slight, off-white head. There is a lot of malted barley in the aroma. The taste is very bold with a heavy barley flavor that delivers a little bit of bitterness in end. A lot of barley wines drink very similar to an iipa, but this one has a much different characteristic.

10-05-2013 04:42:39 | More by Lemke10
PieOhMy

4.3/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Poured into snifter.

A Rich mahogany. Some fizz rising to the thick tan, slow fading head.

S At first, a cactus like pungency. Sweet, rich malt. Hops. The aroma is quite powerful. Hit me right at the opening.

T Rich and sweet. Sugar candy. Chocolate. Dark fruit. Plum. A second wave of flavor brings greasy hops and bitterness. A boozy heat follows everything and burns deep.

M Full. Thick and creamy. Finishes with the aforementioned warming booziness.

O I love this beer. I love barleywines and this is one of my favorites. Definitely my favorite that comes in under 10%. So rich and full. The balance is nice. Steady as she goes. Awesome.

10-02-2013 01:33:45 | More by PieOhMy
StonedTrippin

Colorado

3.5/5  rDev -10.7%

definitely not my favorite barleywine, even of the English blood. this one is a little too sweet and fruity, more like a jammy desert than a beer, but it is still expertly crafted, I just personally don't care a whole lot for the flavor, especially compared to other anchor brews. a little haze to the deep amber bodied liquid. an inch of tan head dies in a minute or so, and a still, intimidating glass remains. aromatics of dried apples, fresh apples, and a certain nutty vibe, underneath English ale yeast. molasses notes on the flavor, with a whole truckload of grain, thick an sticky sweet. the apples are there too on the first half, and as I wait and wait for the dry hopping the label tells me to expect, it never comes. sweetness is never cut by hops, and the aftertaste is real odd as a result. the alcohol is hidden well enough, but this is a dense brew that demands persistence and patience. I like the carbonation, and I like the body, I just don't really care for the taste. well made though, and sturdy for anchor. fall would be its most appropriate season.

10-01-2013 03:25:02 | More by StonedTrippin
KYGunner

Kentucky

3.89/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I really like the deep auburn coloring but the head was gone in a instant with loud fizzing.

The aromas are soft dried fruit such as prune and date with a sweet caramel malt. Not a ton of diversity but the scent is nice and sweet.

The tastes are very smooth with prune, raisin and date. I catch a brownie or fudge but it's a fruity sticky brownie like cherry laden fruit cake.

The smoothness of the dried fruit certainly comes to light in the feel. Despite the overwhelming carbonation that fizzled away the feel is slightly thick and nicely smooth.

09-30-2013 00:13:58 | More by KYGunner