Our Special Ale 2005 (Anchor Christmas Ale) - Anchor Brewing Company

Our Special Ale 2005 (Anchor Christmas Ale)Our Special Ale 2005 (Anchor Christmas Ale)

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

Winter Warmer |  5.80% ABV

(Beer added by: maxpower on 11-04-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Our Special Ale 2005 (Anchor Christmas Ale) Alström Bros

A nice rich chocolate color with a tan head. The nose has some bready candy malts with a collection of christmas spices. Taste was a little bland for the style and compared to other vintages. The body is smooth and a little fizzy, but drinks well. A good beer but this year was more similar to a dark english mild in my opinion.

rye726, May 19, 2008
4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

Reviewed, 01132008. Service Temperature 40 degrees. Service Glassware, 12 ounce Tulip.

Appearance is on the level of dark and with little or no light throughout. The foamy head is salt and pepper with a modest fine hair of lace left behind. The aroma, a little bit of oak with some brown sugar, mild cinnamon, and mild cloves, waft across my nose. As I sip the dark fluid across my tongue, I detect mild spices; such as cinnamon, all spice; along with some biscuit & a medium hop back end.
Overall mouthfeel still remains heavy, and my feeling is that this has at least another year in it. Cheers

mnapier, Jan 14, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

I've had this beer twice over the last couple of months. The first time in Chicago, the second time in Atlanta compliments of Ding- thanks so much for the opportunity! In a vertical tasting of the 2003-2007, I thought the 2004 was the best,but in a different tasting of the 2004-2007 I liked the 2005 best. Oh well,cellaring can be fickle.In any case this review is based on my first tasting in Chicago, where this year was the winner.

Pours dark brown with a nice caramel tinged head that settles to a thin cap. Aromas of spice and caramel, gingerbread, and that beautiful spruce note that I love so much. Tastes nicely of spruce as well as mint, Moravian spice cookies, and orange peel. Mouthfeel is soft and a little sweet, with a slight bite of tannins on the finish. What a great beer!

Georgiabeer, Jan 10, 2008
1.78/5  rDev -53.9%

A: Pours a nice dark cola color with very little head.

S: Very pungent aromas. Smoke and pine right out front. A touch of vanilla along with cherry and apple. Over ripe raisons really linger with touches of rum. Unique aromas but a little too much for me.

T: Pretty complex. Dark fruits kissed with brandy and gin. Vanilla and a very deep dark malty taste.

M: Medium bodied and smooth.

D: Not really. Not a favorite of mine

Just too much going on here. I can't get past the aroma on this one. It is not pleasing as I raise it to the mouth. The taste is just a mix of several things that don't really mesh together. Not one I will revisit.

tpd975, Dec 24, 2007
4.53/5  rDev +17.4%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Yet another tasty version of Anchor's OSA, 2005 does not disappoint. I've had this cellaring for a few weeks and decided to rest my sore back with a good Winter Warmer. This does not disappoint. The appearance is first-rate, with two fingers of dark mocha froth resting atop a black body with brownish tint. The smell is typically curious--some roasted caramel and honey, mixed with cedar and a good deal of fruit. I detect grape, orange, and cherry. The taste is no less impressive, with the fruit most pronounced, but the roasted bite isn't far behind.

This is eminently drinkable, and should serve me well as I finish it by the fireplace taking about animals with my son. Cheers!

Gehrig, Dec 24, 2007
4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

This is my first review under the new scoring system (which I don't like), and I'm curious to see what letter grade this gets when I finish my review.

A - A massive three finger head of milk-chocolate colored foam rises above a black brew that shows some dark brown highlights. The creamy, dense head shows outstanding retention, and leaves a copious amount of lace on the glass.

S - From far away, I smell bourbon and oak. Putting my nose to the glass, I pick up more chocolate and thick honey, but the bourbon is still there too. I also smell some cedar chip woodiness and some dark bakery stuff....like dark bran muffins. There are some marshmallow notes there too. Outstandingly complex.

T - Tangy mesquite smoke hits me right of the bat, and is surprising given the more sweet and rounded nose. The flavor is definitely rustic and woodsy with loads of cedar and oak in addition to some salty soy sauce and charred hot dog flavors. This is one complex brew indeed! I'm picking up a shitload of crazy flavors that just keep developing with each sip.

M - Full bodied and lushly carbonated with a very dry and woody finish that feels like putting wood chips in my mouth. Despite the dryness, there is a very oily texture to this beer...almost waxy.

D - While this is very complex and intriguing, I don't think this has any real session potential. This is a damn fine brew, but it's too odd to be very drinkable.

pmcadamis, Dec 24, 2007
4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

A two year old sample...

An opaque brown with a creamy tan head. Sheeting lace on the glass. A quite piney smell under which is the aroma of rich roasty malt

The flavor is of roasty malt and lots of piney bitterness. Lightly sticky in the mouth with that piney taste all over the finish.
Lots more pine taste and a lot less spice than the 2006 recipe. Good stuff.

ViveLaChouffe, Dec 19, 2007
3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Acquired via trade from Solomon420, so a big “Thank you” goes out to him. Poured from a 12oz bottle into a US tumbler pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep brown color, with a short off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is of vanilla, spices, caramelized malts and some dark fruit.

T: The taste is smoky and malty, with strong flavors of caramel, spices, vanilla and dark fruits. There’s a decent hops presence especially considering the style and the fact that this beer is 2 years old. The after-taste is sweet.

M: Smooth and crisp, medium-to-heavy body, medium carbonation, finish is cleaner than I expected.

D: Tasty, goes down easily, not too filling, decent kick, good representation of style, unfortunately I didn’t try this beer when it was released so I’m not able to draw a comparison, but it seems to me that aging has done this beer some good. Overall, I liked it a little better the 2006 release which I had fresh.

TheManiacalOne, Dec 13, 2007
3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

A very dark brown with a rust orange at the edges. Nice medium tan head. Drops to 1/2" layer within 3 minutes leaving some light lace.
Smell is roasted/toasted malt, smoke, peat with just a whiff of alcohol.
Taste is the same with a touch of slightly burnt malt in the aftertaste.
Medium body, light effervescence. Slightly watery finish, smooth.
A very good beer overall.

PorterLambic, Nov 03, 2007
3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

decided to pop one of these tonight, it's pouring down rain, getting chilly, just felt right.
anyway, the cap seemed to come off waay too easily, but after a solid pour, all things looked wonderful. huge tan head of cream on top and medium bubbled below. drops to a dusting after a bit, but great spiderweb lace on the glass. color is cloudy and nearly black unless held to the light, which reveals purple highlights.
smell is just like i remember from two years ago, but maybe just a tad bit less. hints of tree bark, the outdoors in december, a little sweet smoked meat, great stuff.
taste seems less malty, but not really hoppy. spicy and herbal, very hard to place, if pine or spruce tastes like this, i'm all for it.
mouthfeel is medium with some carbonation, but a creamy glide as well. finish is sharp and biting. if it were colder, and i had a few cases, i'd have more of these.

cheers...

NClifestyle, Oct 25, 2007
3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

12 ounce bottle from the Stuffed Sandwich in San Gabriel

Pour was a real dark brown with not much carbonation or head

Tasted like there was hints of tobacco and sugar cane, very dry for a winter beer of this nature, but the taste stuck with me for a long time

Could drink a good amount of these compared to other winter beers

All of these Anchor XMas brews have been pretty good

Floydster, Sep 15, 2007
4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

12 oz. bottle, 2005 edition,

A: Dark brown, with a thick, white head.

S: Lots of fragrant pine and spruce.

T: Old feel, with juniper and pine, sweet spruce, cherries, cranberries, and Christmas-style spices - cinnamon and nutmeg.

M: Smooth, oily, resiny, with a fair bit of oxidation.

D: A great aged beer, the 2005 OSA has held up well, a great treat for me.

Halcyondays, Aug 02, 2007

Roasted hazelnut, not quite opaque, with abundant black cherry highlights. The caramel nougat colored cap is the first clue that this is quality beer. Yeah, like I wasn't aware of that already. It's whipped cream sticky, looks gorgeous as it delflates and is beginning to deposit attactive sheets of lace-like lace.

I have no hope of remembering what the various OSAs smell like from year to year, but this one seems especially aromatic. Maybe that's because I'm drinking them fresher and fresher. If memory serves, this iteration is less evergreen and juniper-like, more dark malty and more brown sugary.

Those impressions hold on the palate, as I thought they might. I've always suspected that I'd like this winter warmer better if I drank it sooner after bottling. Since I didn't come across the versions from '98-02 until several years after their release, I had no choice but to drink them with a few Christmases under their belts. I'll be sure to remember not to age them from here on out.

The flavor profile consists of gently roasted malt, dark chocolate, brown sugar, sticky dates and a fir tree contribution (Quercus agrifolia is featured on the label) that, again, seems less aggressive than other years. I imagine there are only so many variations the brewers can use and keep the same basic theme, but it seems as though they've managed to distinguish this '05 from all the others.

There aren't too many good, sessionable winter warmers being brewed. By virtue of its relatively light, yet still incredibly smooth and acceptably expansive mouthfeel, this version qualifies without question. Having said that, I can't be the only one who would like to see an 8.5%, big-bodied version of Our Special Ale.

I will never be an adoring fan of this seasonal release, but I'm learning that younger is better. In spite of what just about everyone says, I don't think it holds up over time; especially the mouthfeel. I think I'll start picking up sixers instead of singles. Good job Anchor.

BuckeyeNation, May 26, 2007
3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

A: Dark brown with a ruby edge, cloudy. One finger of tan, somewhat foamy head (with some big bubbles).
S. Fudge, caramel, dark berries, dried fruits, figs.
T: Bitterness, charcoal, figs, caramel. Aftertaste of bitterness and figs.
M: Below medium body, low carboration, almost no sweetness, as the sweet tones are balanced out by the strong presence of bitterness.
D: Good.

Hammarby, Mar 01, 2007

Into a pint glass, pours a dark black, a tan head with lasting power, some nice lacing. Aroma is a good dose of chocolate and espresso with warming alcohol and sugars and spices. Taste is delicious, a good and complex bunch of goodness, syrupy malts and spices and.. well, its just good. Mouth is creamy, but thinner than I'd have liked. I just had a four year old OSA a while ago, and I think perhaps this would have done a bit better with some age under it to develop more.

objectivemonkey, Jan 10, 2007
3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

The head is nice and big with thickness and a pretty hard to move lacing. The smell is perfume-like with flowery and sweet tones. It always reminds me of Christmas cookies. Taste is very dry and light with a little less flavor than when I had it over a year ago. Mouthfeel is very dry and a little harsh. Overall it was nice to try, but I wouldn't want to have it very much...occasionally.

Erdinger2003, Jan 06, 2007
3.65/5  rDev -5.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a nonic. I purchased this cellared bottle from The Keg Liquors in Clarksville, IN. Body was nearly opaque. When I sat my beer next to my friend's glass of Coke they looked nearly indentical in color and highlights. The head was two finger or more and was made of fine foam. A heavy ring of foam remained throughout the drink.

Smell was slightly metallic. Floral hops (noble-like pilsner quality). Pleasant.

Taste was tart and porter-like. Toasty malts and zingy hops. Spicy. Coffee-grounds hints. Interesting and subtle.

Mouthfeel was smooth and creamy yet medium to thin in body. I enjoyed this one. Thanks Todd.

Cresant, Dec 24, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +21.8%

Pours a near opaque amber color with a thin tan head that rises near the end of the pour. Wonderful and complex nose of roasted malt, chocolate, and fruit. Wow...big flavors of roasted malt, chocolate powder, raisins, alcohol soaked fruit, and spice. Just an awesome mouthfeel with a fine carbonation. Drinkabiltity is incredibly high considering all the flavors here. This is my new favorite brew for Christmas time, hands down. I wonder what this tasted like last year when it was fresh because it seems to have aged incredibly well. I also have some 2006 that I can't wait to compare to. Try this if you find it!

lehows, Dec 24, 2006
2.68/5  rDev -30.6%

I was looking forward to this one since purchasing it last winter as a closeout. I drank one right away (I should have reviewed it looking back) and it was great. Nice and hoppy. Since this is supposed to age well, I thought, why not. Let me tell you why not.

Pours Dark brown with decent carbonation and a strange colored head- almost a hint of green(?) to it. Aroma was way too much juniper. I couldn't figure out what I hated about it until reading a few reviews after tasting and then it hit me. That's all I could smell and it was hard to get anything else but there were the usual dark fruits and other spices. The flavor didn't offer much more than the aroma. Too much juniper on the nose. The mouthfeel was nice though. Lighter than expected and lively carbonation. All-in-all, a dissapointment. Next time, I'll drink them fresh. Live and learn.

jj21, Dec 20, 2006
3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

341ml bottle shared with friends at a beer/wine tasting party this past weekend. Special thanks to Viggo for the brew!

Dark brown with chestnut highlights. Just translucent enough to let light through. Tight tan cap.

Aroma is mainly sweet with juniper/spruce highlights. We were trying to figure out just what this scent is, and one said, "What ever it is, it's definintely coniferus." That's about the best description you could give.

Happily, the juniper/spruce doesn't shine through as much in the flavour. It's more of a background element and really just lends itself to make this beer unique. Otherwise, this is a rich semi-sweet beer with cherries and dark malt and an almost syrupy background.

Solid, smooth and full bodied mouthfeel with minimal carbonation. Almost velvety.

This was quite a unique treat, but I don't think I could have had a full bottle by myself. The juniper/spruce quality, while unique, was a bit of a turn off for me.

Noxious26, Dec 18, 2006
3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

SO it's been about a year aging this fellow. I poured it into a small mouth goblet and the dark hue completimented the nice creamy head. The aroma is a great mix of nutmeg, pine, spruce, and licorise. The taste is much the same as the aroma all of the smells pair into the flavors! There is no feeling of hops, but with the spruce/pine tree addded to the brew it takes the place. There is a kind of thin body even though there is a presence of stickiness in the mouth. It is a great holiday beer, but no more than one at a time.

phishgator, Dec 12, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured into a Anchor Steam glass. Black in color with a nice head, lots of lacing afterwards as well. Scents of sweet toffee/caramel, hops. The taste is sweet/malty with a nice touch/bite of toffee/caramel in the finish. Medium body with a great sweet after taste. Not much of a warmer, but very drinkable. Would make a very nice session drink around Christmas time.

Wasatch, Dec 10, 2006
3.7/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Drank from a 12 fl. oz. bottle purchased at Kappy's Liquors, Cambridge, MA

Poured a dark, murky brown with small, fizzy, chestnut-colored head that quickly faded to a lasting ring of lace.

Smell was rich and spicy. Intense malts with a plethora of baking spices, including nutmeg and clove. A touch of nuttiness too. Some maple syrup and vanilla notes were also noticeable.

Taste was very malty as well. Rich and hearty. A mix of chocolate, caramel and roasted malts with some spices. The dark chocolate flavors came out strong in both taste and smell as the beer warmed. Licorice was also present. Up front this beer was rather good, but the flavors trailed off rather quickly. A pinch of hops was detectable on the back end. Aftertaste was moderately spicy with a touch of residual sweetness.

Mouthfeel was rich, full and very creamy. The beer turned into a rich froth soon after hitting the tongue.

This is a decent beer to sip and savor on a cold night but overall it was not very exciting. With a bit more complexity in the taste and a more flavorful finish it could vastly improve.

Damian, Dec 05, 2006

Sampled at Beer Bistro, 330ml bottle aged one year. 2005 Edition.
My first experience of the Anchor OSA.
Pours a robust black with firey orange highlight from the bottom. Head that settles off to mere trim, though quite responsive to even light swirls. Beautifully classy looking, especially in the snifter. Wowza, what a spice in the aroma. Almost like a perfumy insence. I could only make guess as to what's in there - heather, black licorice, cinnamon, nutmeg, clove, candamom ... basil? I could swear basil! Most certainly though I DO taste pumpkin. I'll swear to that! Spices seem mostly for aromatics, lovely bouquet. Not so many of these spices come through in the taste however. For a black coloured beer this is deceiptfully light. Although potent and lively. Some residual sweetness. Body isn't robust. Soft spoken, timid despite what colour might have you expect. A little too light bodied to be fully satisfying. I'd really like to see little more lingering roast to add dimension beyond the spices. I want to go raid mom's spice rack to figure out what's in this!
All in all though this was fantastic. The spices make it a bit of a sipper, a good dessert beer too. I would recommend sharing this one. For a first impression of the Anchor OSA series I thought this was a neat-o spiced beer.

biegaman, Nov 21, 2006

12oz. Bottle 2005
$10.99 6-pack
Binny's Orland

Our Special Ale poured an extremely dark mahogany that is only transparent along the edges of my pilsner glass when held to the light. A creamy 2 finger mocha head sits on top and fades a a 1 finger dense craggy head. Sticky webbed brown lacing trails down the glass.

The smell makes me think of Christmas with all the smells coming from the kitchen. There are a lot of spices in the nose including nutmeg and maybe a touch of cinnamon. The others are hard to pick apart. Theres even some bing cherry and plum. Also, reminiscent of warm bread pudding. A slight roasted malt in the background but the fruits and spices take over. I think this is what a winter warmer should smell like. It has it all crammed in there.

The roasted malts serve as the backbone and don't really show themselves until a minor bitterness in the finish. The spices come through up front with the nutmeg taking the front. The dark fruit come through mid-palate and dance around on your tongue in holiday cheer. Very nicely done.

The mouthfeel is the only thing holding this beer back. It's average but if it was a little heavier in body it would be great. The mouthfeel is on the thin side and feels a little dead in my mouth. Don't get me wrong it's not bad just nothing to get excited about.

The weaker mouthfeel actually helps the drinkability a little bit. If it were creamier it would make a better beer but it would be too filling to get high marks for drinkability. I could definately sit around and drink a couple of these on a cold winter night.

I really like Our Special Ale and would recommend it to anyone to try at least once. The spices really add a nice touch. Great cold weather beer. One to share with friends and family.

Slainte!