Our Special Ale 2005 (Anchor Christmas Ale) - Anchor Brewing Company

Our Special Ale 2005 (Anchor Christmas Ale)Our Special Ale 2005 (Anchor Christmas Ale)

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

Winter Warmer |  5.80% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 11-04-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Our Special Ale 2005 (Anchor Christmas Ale) Alström Bros
3.35/5  rDev -13.4%

Very spicey pour with no head retention. I smell the chocolate malt and caramel, together with spices. Almost too many spices, but I guess that makes it a Winter Warmer, but they could have spared some of the spice. Not much mouthfeel, almost a flat tatse of spice and chocolate malts. Not the most impressive Winter Ale I have tried. (334 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -11.9%

I was surprised to see this beer in Sarasota. I haven't had it in years and the last time I did it was on tap.

It's nice a dark with a head that's almost orange. The head quickly tightens to just a dollop of foam in the center of my glass.

It smells of orange peel. Burnt orange peel, to be more precise.

Thankfully, the taste is better. It's light and crisp with notes of spices. There's not much malt sweetness or hop bitterness.

The body is as light as the taste.

Overall this is quite light for a winter warmer; I wish this beer were more substantial. (573 characters)

3.42/5  rDev -11.6%

Appearance- Stout-like in apperance- very dark, near black, but closer investigation during the pour reveals red and brown hues. Head is tan and respectable.

Smell- dark malty tones give way to a more subtle nuttiness, notes of spruce, nutmeg, cinnamon and perhaps other spices. Gingerbread was evident as well.

Taste and Mouthfeel- In no particular order of dominance- gingerbread, coffee, nutmeg, and random spices. I got several hints of dark fruit, but this was a rare occassion. Hops pretty much out of the equation until hints of them at the finish.

Other notes- The tastes are complex and appropriate for the style. You really can see what the brewers were going for. This beer tastes like Christmas in a bottle. Unfortunately, for me the various spices and other flavors were a bit much and didn't combine as well as they could have. I would have liked to see a more malt dominant profile with the spices and whatnot more in the background. Excess really hurt the drinkablity for me on this one. (1,012 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -11.4%

Pours a really nice ruby/brown with a two finger tan head that fades slowly to a nice cap, and leaves tons of lacing on the sides of my glass as I drink it.

Smell; cinnamon, nutmeg, a bit of chocolate and a little pine tree. It smells sweet, and the spices definitely make me think of the holidays.

Taste; the spices hit first, cinnamon and ginger, caramel, a little bit of pine tree, and just enough of a hop bite to it. I also get a little vanlla as it gets warmer. It's not as sweet as the smell would have led me to believe, which I'm thankful for. Overall though, there's just something about this that just doesn't sit right with me. I think the spices just don't meld very well together. Mouthfeel is thin to medium in body, and very smooth. (754 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -10.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Purchased single bottle from Martignetti's

Appearance = beautiful dark brown, nearly black, with a tiny tinge of red. Good 1/2'' head, which fades quickly. looks extremely rich and wholesome.

Smell = Full of spice and floral scents. Lavender I believe dominates or some scent that one often finds in soap. It's a little too overpowering but pleasant.

Taste = Not a bad Winter warmer. Thick and malty with a nice balance of sweetness. The taste is dominated by the same floral smell. It's interesting although I don't think I'd want more than one.

Overall = a very good beer to sample one of. I think the drinkability isn't so great as it's a bit too strong in one direction but I recommend you try one. (714 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -10.6%

Goes into my goblet a very dark red with a small tan head that hugs the rim.

I thought this was a mistake at first. Bad bottle or something. It smells like fruitcake! Seriously, it smells like the Christmas fruitcake that we’d get sent every year by my grandparents. I hated the foul concoction… it always remained uneaten in the very back of our fridge for half the year till someone found the foil wrapped lump buried behind the mint jelly…

Childhood memories aside, what’s it like? I taste some chocolate and coffee notes, and a tart, citrus zestyness along with lots of dark fruit and burnt flavor. Sour, dark and definitely one to sip on a windy evening. Reminds me of heavily spiced Belgian dark ale. Also a bit… salty?

I can’t get over the smell. Alcohol, burnt bread, figs, nutmeg, cinnamon, coffee. Brown sugar. Loads of complexity. High marks here.

Bottom line; this is fruitcake beer. Mouthfeel is creamy and satisfying. Feels like you’re drinking a meal. While I can definitely appreciate the complexity and uniqueness of this beer, the taste doesn’t click with me. But in the end, for a seasonal, it’s not bad. I look forward to having one for future Christmases. (1,199 characters)

3.49/5  rDev -9.8%

Pours a pitch dark, slightly translucent brew with a bubble soda like head that lingers just long enough to get some aroma out. Aromas of baking spices like cinnamon, cardamom and licorice. Flavors basically mirror the aroma with a particular sweetness which I'm not really enjoying. Hops are nowhere to be found, and the spices and "natural flavorings" dominate the flavor. Carbonation is medium; alcohol makes quite a presence at the end, I'd guess around 7%. This is just a bit too overly spiced, not so enjoyable and suffers dramatically with drinkability. Tastes very much like a Coke with alcohol added, not so pleasant. (626 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -9.6%

Served in a Dogfish Head snifter.

The Seventh Day of Beermas... It pours a murky black-brown topped by a half-finger of dirty ecru foam. The nose comprises raisins, red grapes, brown sugar, maple syrup, nutmeg, and slightly musty cocoa. The taste is dominated by a somewhat odd meatloaf sorta combination of gingerbread and pumpernickel, which is backed up by raisins, figs, red grapes, and the syrup from a can of mandarin oranges. As odd as it all sounds together, it wasn't quite as bad as the previous vintages have been. The body is a hefty-ish medium, with a light moderate carbonation and a kinda thick feel. Overall, another step in the right direction, though the spices come across a tad strangely. I'm now actually looking forward to the next few years. (765 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -9%

Grabbed a 6 packer of the X-mas ale from BevMo!

Pours an opaque black with beautiful ruby highlights. Thick frothy tan head that sticks to the glass. Tons of chunky lacing.

This brew has a musty aroma of gingerbread X-mas spices and citrus fruit.

The Anchor X-mas ale is light on the palate considering the dark appearance. Mild roasty malt sweetness. Very nice and crisp, full of X-mas spices. I can detect flavors of ginger, nutmeg, cinnamon, clove, cherry and orange peel. The spiciness is nice but a little strong.

This beer is very nice, full of X-mas flavors, a little strong. I can only tolerate one at a time. This beer will probably mellow nicely in a few months.

Cheers! (700 characters)

(Served in a snifter)

A- This beer pours a thick dark brown body that is opaque. The head is a dark tan with a hint of red to it. The head settles to a thin even layer.

S- The smell of sweet roasted and toasted malt is balanced with a slight hop bitterness and a very faint apple/pear note.

T- This beer starts with a roasted barley and roasted malt hint that is a little bitter like a dark lager. It finishes with a gentle hop bitterness. The taste is very smooth and a hint of sulfur in the finish. The finish also has a note of dark cherries with a slight bitter quality.

M- This beer has a medium mouthfeel with a good bit of fizz that makes it a bit more full.

D- This beer has subtle qualities but the fizz and slight bitterness at the finish interfere with the taste. Some nice qualities and some qualities I could do without. (852 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a deep brownish amber color with ruby highlights when held up to the light. A good inch of creamy tan head holds its own for a while before gracefully subsiding. Aroma of roasted dark malt, chicory, burnt brown sugar, and a touch of anise. Palate is held up by a backbone of dark roasted malt, accented by chicory, spruce, anise, some piny hops, and a bit of special Anchor yeast. Some more general spices that I can't really pinpoint. Body is slightly creamy and a good consistency for the flavors in this beer. I'm looking forward to comparing it to previous years in my vertical tasting later this week. (612 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A 12 oz bottle courtesy of SQNfan.

A: The ale is amply carbonated, offering up 3 plus fingers of white head that slowly dissapate, leaving nothing in the wake. The ale is a dark red color, highlighted with crimson.

S: The aroma is very pungent, heavily spiced with nutmeg and orange peel. A hint of mint clears out the nostrils. Very heady and deep, could be spiced and mulled even.

T: Initially complex, the flavor quickly drops off leaving a mildly spiced dark ale. The nutmeg and orange hit the right notes, fully strong. They are a flash in the pan, quickly disappearing with only a mild nutmeg left behind. Dark malts try to fill the void, offering chocolate and coffee. The more I sip, the fuller it becomes. The big problem is the drop-off from spice to malts, it is too drastic and sudden without a decent buffer. The finish is nutmeg and mild hops.

M: The mouthfeel is complex, spicy and malty and mildly hoppy. The nutmeg upfront and wall of spice in the finish stand out.

D: The alcohol is mild, assisting the ale. The flavor profile is strong at times, a minus that balances things out. (1,103 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not a fan of the staple Anchor, but decided to give their seasonal a try...

Pours very deep mahogany, almost pitch. Not cloudy, but quite dark. Wisps of brownish head rim the top. Not very carbonated, but not flat either. Lacing is moderate. I was expecting more flavors to come forth from the nose, but it was a bit subdued. Ginger, nutmeg, cherries, and caramel. Taste followed suit with the same flavors, a good blending and balance but altogether a bit weak for my taste. Ending notes included bananas. Mouthfeel was a bit watery. Overall, a pretty decent beer, well balanced but weak in flavor. (602 characters)

12oz brown bottle

Anchor Our Special Ale 2005 was deep dark brown in color with a nice tan head. The head soon dissipated to a thin layer, but remained until the beer was gone, leaving a little lacing behind. Upon smelling, holiday spices fill your nose with a light malt backround. The taste has a nice malt base with various spices evident throughout. This is a medium bodied beer with medium carbonation. Goes down fairly easily.

I bought this in early December and decided to age some. When fresh I thought it was terrible, and tasted like a christmas tree, but it has mellowed out nicely since then and is now a petty good beer. I will sample again after more aging. (677 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Presentation: Typical anchor bottle with a sprawling tree on the label. Freshness code on the back, but it is cryptic. For this beer it is probably not needed since it is well-labeled as 2005.

Appearance: After an overly aggressive pour I had to let the huge head settle before I could fill the glass. Looks like slightly under carbonated coke in the glass, with a well formed head.

Smell: Lots of spice in the aroma - a hint of hops and some herbal aromas. Smells more and more like juniper as it warms up.

Taste: The dominant flavors are definitely the spices here - tastes like a strong, dark herbal tea. The malt backbone holds up well.

Overall impression: A nice beer for the cold winter nights. Well spiced, and a hint of warming alcohol. Another quality offering from Anchor. (794 characters)

12 ounce bottle from the Stuffed Sandwich in San Gabriel

Pour was a real dark brown with not much carbonation or head

Tasted like there was hints of tobacco and sugar cane, very dry for a winter beer of this nature, but the taste stuck with me for a long time

Could drink a good amount of these compared to other winter beers

All of these Anchor XMas brews have been pretty good (382 characters)

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is one of those beers that I always seem to enjoy the appearance off. Dark brown with a good size tan head. Year in and year out.

Smell is lacking this year. Not much there at all. Seems to be a big brown all, in terms of smell. Actually, some Belgian notes come through. Dates, figs and raisins but not much spice which is what I have come to expect.

After my first taste, this is a very different year. Seems to be smaller than other years. Some malty chocolate notes and again the figs and raisins show up. VERY light in terms of the spice and overall flavor. I pick up some weird sour notes in the end. I don't remember that.

Not a great year in my opinion and I don't think this will last for very long. (723 characters)

3.54/5  rDev -8.5%

*On-tap served into a pint glass chilled.

Pours a dark brown color (chestnut) with a slight tan edge layer. Nothing remotely interesting.

Aroma is mostly of spices (nutmeg) with a weak bit of chocolate on the nose, and maybe a tiny bit of hops. Kinda weak all around.

Sipping reveals some bitter chocolate falvors with very little sweetness to it (baker's choco. IMO). A slight nutmeggy flavor also on the swallow with some slight pine hops flavors (cascade) and a tad bit of alcohol drying this one up just a bit.

The carbonation is very sharp and stings my tongue pretty good. Medium-bodied with a hint of alcohol. Slightly creamy with a tiny bit of drying on the finish.

Overall, this is not my favorite from Anchor, but it was decent. I'd like to sample one from a bottle at home instead next time. (817 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -8.3%

This beer is almost black, but clear dark ruby streaking is visible when held to a light source. The lid is small and brown. The slight collar does leave some decent lace though. Once again, this beer smells like a Christmas tree and there's nothing wrong with that. Spruce tips and chocolate dominate the aroma. The taste is all that the nose offered plus a coarse bitterness. Which is hop derived and/or black patent derived (or something of the sort). Doesn't mix in all that well. But still, this is quite unique and festive. (529 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Spice is, not surprisingly, the dominant feature of this holiday offering from Anchor. Sweet pine and spice feature on the nose of this attractive, deep chocolate brown beer. The front of the palate is sweet, with spices that suggest chai tea, and the finish is bitter and quite long. (284 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -7.8%

dark chocolate color, not a strong nose, chewy body, a bright malty beer that tastes of raw cookie dough slightly bitter finishdark chocolate color, not a strong nose, chewy body, a bright malty beer that tastes of raw cookie dough slightly bitter finishdark chocolate color, not a strong nose, chewy body, a bright malty beer that tastes of raw cookie dough slightly bitter finish (381 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -7.5%

I am drinking this now a bit late in the Winter Warmer season. Maybe my palate is too worn down by similar winter brews, but this year's vintage just seems a little too bland. After all I have been drinking Harpoon, Sam's, and other holiday creations for over a month now.

The appearance is dark caramel brown, and pours a generous head, and laces nicely. It smells rich in maltiness.

The taste is alright with some cinnamon, citrus and caramel flavors, but I feel overpowered by a dark roasted highlights in the malt. The aftertaste lingers a bit too long.

I wish I had gotten to this one sooner. (607 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -7.5%

Twelve ounce brown twist cap bottle.

Deep mahogany hue. Thin tan coloured cap of foam. Small, thin patches of lace.

Aromas of ginger, spruce, cola, & nutmeg.

Tastes preety much run parallel to the nose. Some subtle hints of fruit - cherries? - are added. On the thin side of medium bodied. Moderate carbonation. Interesting, but I can't say that this is begging me to pick up some bottles for the cellar. (413 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -7%

12oz. bottle from my friend Ira.

Pours a dark brown with some crimson highlights. Has a tan head that fades. Decent lacing on the glass.

Aroma of chocolate, roasted grains, and a spicy piney scent that I just can't quite place. Spruce, perhaps?

Taste of chocolate and roated grain upfront, which is slightly bitter. This is followed by that piney spiciness which finishes out with a hop bitterness. I like the combination of flavors, but it seems a little on the young side. I hope that these flavors mellow and blend more with some age.

Body seems thin. Could use a little more uumph...

Decent at this point, I can drink it wth no resistance. We'll see what I think again in 12 months. (701 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -7%

Pours a brown color with some red around the edges with a moderate head that falls slowly and leaves some lacing on the glass. The aroma has a lot of dark malt character with spice and has a big bunch of ginger that smacks you across the nose. The flavor is comprised of dark fruit, ginger, dark malts. Interesting. Mouthfeel is on the heavy end of medium and the drinkability is just ok ... these spiced beers aren't really my forte. (434 characters)

Our Special Ale 2005 (Anchor Christmas Ale) from Anchor Brewing Company