Our Special Ale 2007 (Anchor Christmas Ale) - Anchor Brewing Company

Our Special Ale 2007 (Anchor Christmas Ale)Our Special Ale 2007 (Anchor Christmas Ale)

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

Winter Warmer |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: MMAJYK on 11-03-2007)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Our Special Ale 2007 (Anchor Christmas Ale) Alström Bros

2.23/5  rDev -43.8%

Many thanks to DING for the chance to taste this one- the first in a vertical that he kindly sent me last week. As I write this, I think about how ironic it is to be posting a review within a site that treated him very poorly and unfairly. Sorry Ding, this is where I review for now until I figure out something better or get off my ass and make a blog or something. Here we go:

Poured into brooklyn tulip from bottle. Pours a very thick and terrifically dark red/brown color. I noted the viscosity of this pour as it came out of the bottle. Great looking beer, and I'm ashamed to say that this may be the first time to ever have this one. Smell- so complex. I get port wine, chocolate dark fruits, some oxidation, and a weird beef jerky funky aroma. There is some sort of salty aroma. Some of this may sound bad, but its very complex and interesting. I'm thinking the port wine aroma is the dominant one. Taste- utterly bizarre. I get a watery backbone, some of that port/cognac flavor I detected on the aroma, but then it gets bizarre and a little unpleasant. That metallic/oxidized flavor hits me, as does the smoky/salty/beef like flavor. This is an interesting example of what happens to some beers over time (one would assume, because I have not had it fresh yet), but its a cautionary tale. I'll report back the next time I try another vintage for comparison notes.

3.63/5  rDev -8.6%

Bottle shared at Alex's Birthday Bash!

A - Pours dark brown, off-white head, thin collar.

S - Light chocolate sweetness, dark fruit, caramel, burnt sugars.

T - Gingerbread, molasses, dark fruit, oak, caramel. No spices but a good amount of sweetness, which I like.

M - Light body, good carbonation, clean finish.

O - A nice vintage, better then 2004 and 2001, IMO.

3.68/5  rDev -7.3%

The beer pours a dark brown color with a large tan head. The aroma is full of caramel and chocolate, with some spices thrown in. I also get a little dose of raisins and licorice in the aroma. The flavor is similar. There is a lot of toffee malt and Christmas spices, but the spices seemed to have faded in the five years since the beer was brewed. I also get a little bit of coffee. Thin to medium, slightly watery mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

1.5/5  rDev -62.2%

3.8/5  rDev -4.3%

Magnum split several ways. Poured into large snifter.

A: Pours a dark mahogany red with two fingers of dark tan head that faded into a long lasting fuzzy film with great retention.
S: Creamy and sweet notes of fruit, caramel, vanilla, orange rind, and candied fruits.
T: Light notes of chocolate, cinnamon, pine, and dark fruits with a sweet finish and hints of tobacco in the aftertaste.
M: Thinnish-medium body with a smooth mouthfeel and fizzy tingly carbonation.
O: This beer so far has aged very well. The flavors are definitely less vibrant than I image they were fresh, but I would have no problem aging this for another couple years.

4.5/5  rDev +13.4%

3.53/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

970th Review on BA
Bottle to Goblet
12 oz stubby bottle

Purchased at Walnut Liquorette
2.99 per single

App- A good coloring runs throughout this beer. A dark vibrant brown with some very dark crimson running down the center as a pillar. A good white capped two finger head that falls to a good pond layer. A nice wall of webbing as this one falls.

Smell- A light dusting of cinnamon coats the aromatics when you take a first smell after the head falls. When you take another whiff you get some cocoa powder and a little bit of malted milk balls. A little note of bitter lingers when you take the beer to mouth for a new sip.

Taste- You can tell the profile is there with the flavors that develope and change with each sip. It starts a little one dimensional warmer, with spice, malt and a thin body. Each sip creates a little bit more depth with some chocolate, a little chalky flavor and a little darker fruits. I'd like to say dried cranberry.

Mouth- More than anything it's a medium body but highlighted throughout is a certain thin current running in it. Carbonation is a bit good and bubbly. Nice residual flavors of dark fruits and cocoa.

Drink- Well I can't believe its 2011 and my first Special Ale. I had to go back to a 2007 bottle. It was pretty good. A bit thin in parts and a nice chocolate malt flavor. I will say I will have to track down 08-11 now. Could be worse this to track down.

3.75/5  rDev -5.5%

2008 rate.

Several pours out of two big 1.5L magum 2007 bottles consumed in December 2008. Thanks to whomever brought these two large bottles of which I partook heavily. Still has a lot of hop presence. Some malt and slight chocolate took center stage with the bittering agents. Very dubbel-like, but more hop character. Second pour was better in its movement towards something sweet. Not epic but pretty good. I suppose a few more years could help?

Our Special Ale 2007 (Anchor Christmas Ale) from Anchor Brewing Company