Anchor Porter - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor PorterAnchor Porter

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-01-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Anchor Porter Alström Bros

1.2/5  rDev -70.7%

1.25/5  rDev -69.5%

Everything was set for this to be an enjoyable experience. I was at a favorite pub, ordered awesome food, had good company, and was feeling alright.

This Anchor Porter was the first beer I ordered. I am not usually a fan of domestic porters, but I have found a couple I like. Upon initial inspection the bottling was fair. A squat dark bottle with bright label. Artwork was on par with any micro. It didn't look cheap or sloppy.

The bottle was served chilled. The glass was not. I poured out half the contents and watched a decent 3/8" tan head develop on a full pour.

The first sniff I took of this beer was awful. It reeked of Coca-Cola. I let the glass sit a few minutes longer to come up in temperature. The second smell was just as gooey. I was not impressed, actually I was starting to worry. I decided to taste this little porter.

After one solid swig I knew there was going to be problems. The taste was sweet, almost sickly for a porter. It was the right temperature, but it was failing to the level of Schlitz or Milwaukee's Best. True drivel. At $4.25 for the bottle I decided I should really push through and see what would happen.

The flavor developed much further on the second drink. Admittedly, I took a couple quick drinks at this point to try move to a more trusted brewer. One after another I was wholeheartedly disappointed. I was not getting any coffee, chocolate, vanilla, dirt, or even respectable bitterness. There was nothing redeeming to it. It was offense after offense of a bland beer that hearkened of a home-brew made from 10-year old liquid malt. It was two-dimensional beer horror.

I kept wondering if Anchor had created this porter just so they could say they have one. It tastes desperate. This truly was the little porter that couldn't.

In all fairness, I will probably try this beer again when I can verify the age of the batch and how it was handled post brewery.

1.5/5  rDev -63.4%

1.5/5  rDev -63.4%

1.75/5  rDev -57.3%

2.15/5  rDev -47.6%

pours deep brown with a 3 finger pillowy head. smell is very metalic and macro. taste is not even close to a porter this is just darker version of the steam beer. mouthfeel is the best thing that this beer has going for it - with a light crisp feel which i feel does not even come close to how this style should be. over all this one of the worst porters ever made. it would be an ok session beer for people looking for a bud ligt of porters

2.25/5  rDev -45.1%

I'm rather suprised with the high votes on this one

Ok, I live in San Francisco and have had this porter a few times.
In my oppinion this beer is better the Butte but not better than Sierra Nevada's so i am suprised with the score given here.

If you like your porter 'dry' than you might like this one.

p.s. Anchor serves my favorite lager.

2.3/5  rDev -43.9%

One of six beers at a five person blind porter tasting including: Anchor Porter, Big Sky Bobo's Robust Porter, Deschutes Black Butte, Harvest Moon Pigs Ass Porter, Samuel Smith Taddy, and Sierra Nevada Porter. All of these are shelf beers in Montana.

This was the best looking beer of the bunch, very dark brown with a rich looking head. On the nose the dominant notes were vanilla, overall malt sweetness, and something like prunes, though they were all faint. In the mouth those same flavors stood out more and it was overall an unpleasant experience. Where is the roast and chocolate? The body is thin with a slightly sour note like Guinness Extra Stout, with something like vinegar creeping in, too.

Overall, everyone was disappointed with this one. It was the consensus 5th out of 6 pick. I had never had it before and I was expecting a great deal more from Anchor.

2.38/5  rDev -42%

A: Very dark...almost opaque. Nice tan head leaving good lacing.

S: Faint vanilla. Sweetness.

T: Much sweeter than I'd expect from a porter. Mellow in flavor. No bitterness, roasted notes, or tang that I would expect....just a light sweetness.

M: Smooth...creamy. Dry on the finish.

D: This just struck me as too sweet and one dimensional. Nothing special at all.

Anchor Porter from Anchor Brewing Company