Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Anchor Steam Beer - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Steam BeerAnchor Steam Beer

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

California Common / Steam Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Anchor Steam Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,923 | Hads: 5,472
3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

best before 7 2012. beauty clear light copper colour. decent head that fades quick.

smell was heavy malt, with some citrus.

taste also malty, citrusy. slight bitterness. good carbonation but found this sort of dull as a whole - much like other times i've tried it. average drinkability. (288 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

A- Light brown with 3-4 fingers of he

S- Grainy and something else that I couldn't make out

T-A little tart for a beer. Also was harder to taste because of the carbonation.

M-Light not too smooth

D-A little tart and makes your mouth water and your cheeks pucker. Recomend it once (295 characters)

3.22/5  rDev -16.4%

Decent Beer. I'm not going to bother with the long review as it is a commodity beer available everywhere that I know of.

Decent head, Nice color, smell and taste.

I wanted to hate this beer but found it's citrus and earthy tones are quite acceptable. Tastes like an Orval but easier to drink.

Not bad, a solid B rating from me. (332 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -16.6%

A 355ml bottle with a BB of July 2013. ABV is stated as 4.8%. Picked up some time back from the York Wine & Beer shop. I had this ages ago and remember enjoying it; the story of 19th century West coast brewing that underpins this beer is colourful.

Poured into a tulip pint glass. A deep orange-amber hue with faint haze and light carbonation. Yields a large head of creamy white foam that lasts for a few minutes before reducing to a surface layer. Aroma of caramel malt with earthy yeast esters and stewed hops. Faintly sweet. A hint of cardboard/sherry in the background, along with an alcoholic note.

Tastes of caramel malt with a dry finish. Notes of fruity, earthy yeast esters, stewed hops and a hint of solvent. Faint cardboard and sherry in the background. Dry, with a mild bitterness upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is smooth and tingly, with good body. Could perhaps be a tad more carbonated. Aftertaste of caramel malt and stewed hops.

It's an OK beer, though not amazing. From the stale background notes I'm wondering if this is old, though it's well within date. Decent malt character with an unusual yeast presence (like an English ale). No aromatic hops to be discerned. Goes down easily enough but just isn't that interesting. I wanted to like this more - perhaps I'll have another, fresher one some time. (1,320 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a rusty, gold color with small champagne-like bubbles drifting to the top

No nose to start with, may have been served too cold. Has a thick creamy head that dissipates quickly.

The first thing that hits the tongue is a subtle sweetness, like caramel that just jumps up to do a quick jig on your tastebuds and quickly runs away, revealing a nice hoppy finish that lasts possibly a bit too long...like an in-law spending time at your house. you may like them, but there's a limit to how long you can stand them.

Mouthfeel is crisp, thin and biting and leaves a slightly dry feeling on your palate.

Special Note: do not drink this beer too cold. like many beers and wines, the flavors and aromas must be allowed to breathe. If you don't mind warm beer, this would probably be best at room temperature. (820 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -16.6%

appearance; deep brownish yellow and clear with a quality, stiff, yellow-white head, dissipates slowly leaving lots of chunky lace.

smell; sweet malts and herbal hop spice

taste; mildly sweet at first, changing to a very herbal hop bitterness. Finishes strongly with grainy malt sweetness. The bitterness keeps the sweetness from being to intense, similar to raw bread dough.

mouthfeel; watery with poor carbonation. The finish is dry and crisp.

drinkability; easy enough to drink but it sits uncomfortable in my stomach and I don't feel like having another. (562 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -16.6%

This brew was served to us from draught at The Distillery in Victor, NY. It arrived in a pint glass and shone a pale golden nut brown color. It held a one finger creamy white head that retained decently, to leave bits of lacing around the glass. There was minimal haze, with no sediment, and a light carbonation noted. The aroma was of sweeter grain. This hid a mild fruitiness, and a rather pronounced licorice note. This sweetness was enhanced by faint esters. Finally, on the back, there was a tomato acidity, acetylaldehyde, and a white wine vinegar to cut the original dextrins. As we sipped, we began with grains and a licorice flavoring, as was present in the nose. This was sickly sweet for a start. The middle exhibited a huge grainy quality, with much of it coming across as cheap-beery adjuncts. Here, too, there was cooling vanilla, and mild phenolic esters. This helped smooth the transition to a bitter end, given by grain and black pepper burns of alcohol. The aftertaste breathed of the malt bill, bitter booze, light bananas, and a spice of booze. The body was medium and the carbonation was medium. The feel was quite hollow, with a steely dryness to it. With each sip came a stickiness, but again, this faded into a drying coininess. The abv was appropriate and the beer drank as more of a sipper, due to the contrast between bitter and sickly sweet throughout the tasting.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was the look. The coloring was deep, rich, and dark, with a nice frame of a head. Where we lost points was in the adjuncty grain through the middle, which became harsh at times. Despite this, the licorice vibe as a primary source of sweetness was something that kept the drinker interested, and coming back for more. (1,756 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

It either does not travel well (from SFO to Tulsa) or is overrated. It has a typical copper-amber color as most pale ales do and a slight head, as you'd find on an American lager. it is a fairly balanced brew but none of the malt or hop characteristics stand out. it finishes with a lingering bitterness that is expected. I'm wondering if the problem was with me, I'd had this beer before (in the bottle) several years ago in San Francisco and liked it ok, but this was a let-down. I'll try it again on-tap when I know my palate is not compromised. (548 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

I enjoyed the taste and flavor. Came in a bottle poured it ınto a glass. good color. it was my first west coast beer... had it a while ago while visiting in SF wish I could remember more. I Really liked the bottle. I thought it was fun and creative... had it in a pub somewhere in Ghiradelli square. :) (303 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

I have to say this is the only steam beer I've been able to find in my area, so my review is only based on this, and not comparable to any other beer.

A - The beer poured a medium amber, forming a small thin head, that quickly faded, leaving no lace on the glass.

S - The aroma is light, mainly consisting of fruit notes, and maybe a little malt. The aroma is weak, so thats all I could really detect.

T - The taste is not like any other beer I've experienced. Light hops at first, followed by a little malt in the middle, and finnishing with a dry sour taste.

M - The mouthfeel is medium, with a rough finish.

Overall, I dont think I could drink more than one of these at a time. Not having experienced this style, I cant really say if its a bad example, or a good one. I'll have to try the style more, before I can say if I like it or not. Congrats to Anchor though, for going the creative mile! (913 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz into a conical pint.
A - Orangey- gold with a hint of chill haze. Not much head, but a decent short-lived lace.

S - BLAND. Not much muchness. But not terrible. A hint of something resembling a respectable beer.

T - Very fruity with wildflowers.

M - Dry fruit and some... thing.

O - Begging forgiveness. Not at all familiar with California Steam beer. This just wasn't bad at all. It's like my opinion of Belgian beers: they just have their own little thing going on. My first impression? Honestly? "So this is what happens when you ale a lager!" Give me another try next summer. (597 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

This beer pours a clear deep amber has a one finger light tan head with excellent retention and a nice coating of lace on the glass afterwards. The aroma is of sweet malt and caramel. The flavor is low in hops at first, earthy roasted malt with a slightly bitter hop finish. This beer seems to be their standard bearer but i'll take their much hoppier Liberty ale over this any day. (382 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Although it pours a nice clear yellow, I think don't think that it's an exceptional beer to be rated above average. It is better than your big brewery beers, but an average beer! Tried it about two years ago and thought it tasted better. Will try again later! (259 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

The smell of this brewwasquite malty. It poured into a light amber color into my glass. Very malty flavor as well, also bitter for a beer of this type. The beer was too bland for me. I prefer liberty ale if going with this brewer...at least that has some flavor. However, I would rather drink something from Victory. (316 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

I hadn't had this beer in 10 years, and a lots happened to me and the world of beer since then. It is a substantial lager, lightly sweet and heavily malted. Not bad, but hardly an assault on the senses. I'd give it a weak recommendation.

The beer is a pleasing golden amber with decent had that rapidly dissipates. Aroma is lightly sweet and just a bit hoppy. There is very little hoppiness in the flavor, which is rather malty and very sweet which was OK. Mouthfeel is lightly carbonated, smooth, and pleasant. (514 characters)

A: Gold to Dark Brown with a thin foamy head
S: Lots of Malt flavor with a little floral of violet
T: Tasted like a rich malt follwed by a ravish of spicy hop bitterness
M: This, tasty and fun to drink...

D: I could easily drink a 6er of this beer and I hear they open ferment on top of the roofs in SF. (304 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a five finger white head that fades very slowly, leaving a good lace. Crystal clear amber color. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Slight hoppy nose. Flavor is more hops than malt but has some sweetness. Smooth. Light bitter finish. $2.15 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma. (305 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured to a golden orange with off-white head that dissipates quickly, with okay lacing. Aroma, while not bad, was nothing real noticeable. Flavor was okay, and this had a decent palate. I did not care for this as much as other Anchor Beers (Old Foghorn and Liberty), but I may have just gotten a bad bottle and may very well try again. This one just didn’t do much for me. (374 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle in to a pint glass.

It is a carbonated amber with little head (could have been the half ass bar tender's pour).

Smells of light hop and malt.

Has a hoppy taste, but not aeromatic hops.

Carbonated mouthfeel and easy to drink.

Very boring beer from a great brewery. (296 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

It's a good beer, yeah, time to review the stuff that usually gets passed over because it's good, solid brew, but not one that I would not normally pick up a sixer of, but you know it's on tap at my favorite BBQ restaurant.

Copper, white head,sightly tart first taste that pops out into a great malty. Easy to drink, tasty and like I said, a solid great brew. (363 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours golden in color with minimal head retention. It smells nice, very fruity and citrusy, a lot of oranges, also some noticeable hops. Smooth and flavorful, there are some fruity notes matched by a bitter, almost sour taste. The bitterness really sticks around for a while creating a powerful aftertaste. The mouthfeel is good, not too light and not overly heavy either.

This might not be the most drinkable beer I've ever had. It tastes good, but the bitter aftertaste has kept me from drinking more than one of these at a time. (534 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Light translucent amber with a pretty white head that dissipates.

S - Bready malt with some fruitiness.

T - Dry bread malt followed by earthy tones with some hops, could use more IMO.

M - Medium body with crisp hitting carbonation but not overly carbonated. Dry feeling.

O - I'm a local and have been drinking and enjoying this since before I was a beer snob, however, older and with a more refined palate, this beer is only slightly above average for me. Not saying I wont enjoy more in the future, but Anchor Steam I'm sad to say is mediocre. Anchors other beers are great, though! (591 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours medium dark amber-brown with a short creamy head that quickly dissipates. Not much lacing, moderate to high carbonation. Not a lot in the nose, mostly barley, hops, and a hint of fruit. Taste starts off very empty, but flavors come out through the sip, ending with a rather sharp bitterness. Although the mouthfeel is smooth, the bitterness stands out and there is no counterbalance of other flavors. I'd like to try it on tap. (433 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -17.9%

Comes out of the tap impressively smooth and creamy. Transluscent orange color. Body is lighter than I would like, medium to light. The head is so creamy, and the mouthfeel and finish are silky smooth.
Smell is light and clean and understated. Nutty malt. I taste it and it really strikes me as bland; no hops to speak of. It is a very pleasant texture but boring flavor. (373 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -17.9%

12 oz brown bottle. No date.
It pours a pale gold/copper color with a pure white fizzy head.
A light malt aroma rises up then fades quickly. A faint smell of floral hops is noticed.
A light biscuity malt flavor is somewhat lost in the seltzery effervescence.
The light metallic hop bite is also diminished within the Champagne-like spritziness. It's well made but too un-beer-like.
Much different and better on draught! (425 characters)

Anchor Steam Beer from Anchor Brewing Company