Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Anchor Steam Beer - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Steam BeerAnchor Steam Beer

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

California Common / Steam Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Anchor Steam Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,932 | Hads: 5,516
3.26/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not a bad beer by any means. I just wish there were a better balance between the malt backbone and the hop flavor. Just seems to me the flavor is dominated by the roastyness and has no counterpart to balance the beer overall. I would drink this again, but I would chose other beers first.

3.26/5  rDev -15.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: Dark amber with a strong beige head that settles down to about 5mm and lingers for the whole glass. A small amount of thin lacing down the glass.

Aroma: The first thing that came to mind was pineapples and rockmelon, but this was followed by some malt and graininess.

Taste: Initially, I actually could taste pears, but this disappeared after a few sips. The rest of it was a bit citrusy (grapefruit & lemon rather than orange) and a bit sharp. Some wholemeal bread and black pepper in the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium carbonation, medium body. A little sharp and 'zingy' on the middle of the tongue, but not in a bad way. Finish was a bit dry.

Drinkability: Well this was my first California Common, and I wasn't really sure what to expect. Overall, I think that it is a nice drop, one that would go with a lot of different styles of cuisine, but I'm not sure if I would buy it to savour on its own merits.

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

Traded this beer in the Craked Kettle shop in Amsterdam.

This is my first american beer for years. The beer has a rather pleasant smell after opening the bottle and pouring the beer in a (Bavaria) glass.

The beer has a copper color and the head sticks on the glass. First taste is a bit caramel or hop.

Enjoyed the beer really even when this is not my type of beer.

At the end the head began to taste a bit chemical. I have this same problem with Heineken.

Overall a nice and drinkable beer.

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from 40 degree bottle into pint glass.

Poured with white cap that quickly dissipated into a thin ring around the glass. Lacing quickly fell and all trace of head was gone before glass was empty. Color is pale amber with gold hue. Crystal clear and effervescent.

Aroma is faint and crisp – biscuit and caramel malt with very little detectable hops. Bits of fruity ester.

Mouthfeel is dry and thin. Heavy carbonation tingles and leaves a saltiness.

Taste is dry and caramel with raison notes. Finishes with noble-like alpha acid that lingers on back of tongue.

Overall: This is a crisp and refreshing beer that is definitely sessionable. Really stood out from the crowd of American Lagers during its time, but now is relatively non-distinct.

3.25/5  rDev -15.6%

A: very clear; bronze colored; 1 finger egg shell head that receded slowly to a thin cap; nice lacing;

S: nice balance between caramel malt and earthy hops;

T: follows the nose with moderate bitterness on the finish;

M: medium bodied; carbonation is slightly prickly;

O: nice beer; not something I would seek out;

3.24/5  rDev -15.8%

Reviewed on 5/1/08. On tap at the Colgate Inn. Pours a light amber with a small white head. Initially sweet malt with a bitter finish, but as it warmed, the bitterness faded and it became sweeter. A solid beer.
Aroma: 5/10
Appearance: 4/5
Flavor: 6/10
Palate: 4/5
Overall: 14/20

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

The beer poured amber with a thick creamy head and a slightly malty aroma. The first drink left nice lacing, but not a great flavor, in my opinion. I thought it tasted too bitter, which lasted for a while on the tongue. Not one I would seek out, but I would not turn it down either.

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

Beer pours to a deep tan color with a thin head.

A light malt hop and malt aromma. More hops than malts present.

Has a hint of hops and some good flavor slighty above average.

Light and airy with little carbonation.

A pretty average beer in my book nothing special!

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

A- poured a light clear copper with a thick rich bubbly head
S- sweet and malty almost a quietly subdued hop aroma
T- sweet bready malts together with really light pleasant fruit notes, a slight bitterness to the taste nothing offsetting, a pleasant taste although nothing exceptional.
M- carbonation was done nicely here decently thick
D- easily drinkable can go through many of these not saying ill do it again though
I only bought this to try a steam beer cant say ill buy it again its a solid brew really no flaws to it but its really nothing to seek out.

3.23/5  rDev -16.1%

best before 7 2012. beauty clear light copper colour. decent head that fades quick.

smell was heavy malt, with some citrus.

taste also malty, citrusy. slight bitterness. good carbonation but found this sort of dull as a whole - much like other times i've tried it. average drinkability.

A- Light brown with 3-4 fingers of he

S- Grainy and something else that I couldn't make out

T-A little tart for a beer. Also was harder to taste because of the carbonation.

M-Light not too smooth

D-A little tart and makes your mouth water and your cheeks pucker. Recomend it once

3.22/5  rDev -16.4%

Decent Beer. I'm not going to bother with the long review as it is a commodity beer available everywhere that I know of.

Decent head, Nice color, smell and taste.

I wanted to hate this beer but found it's citrus and earthy tones are quite acceptable. Tastes like an Orval but easier to drink.

Not bad, a solid B rating from me.

3.21/5  rDev -16.6%

A 355ml bottle with a BB of July 2013. ABV is stated as 4.8%. Picked up some time back from the York Wine & Beer shop. I had this ages ago and remember enjoying it; the story of 19th century West coast brewing that underpins this beer is colourful.

Poured into a tulip pint glass. A deep orange-amber hue with faint haze and light carbonation. Yields a large head of creamy white foam that lasts for a few minutes before reducing to a surface layer. Aroma of caramel malt with earthy yeast esters and stewed hops. Faintly sweet. A hint of cardboard/sherry in the background, along with an alcoholic note.

Tastes of caramel malt with a dry finish. Notes of fruity, earthy yeast esters, stewed hops and a hint of solvent. Faint cardboard and sherry in the background. Dry, with a mild bitterness upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is smooth and tingly, with good body. Could perhaps be a tad more carbonated. Aftertaste of caramel malt and stewed hops.

It's an OK beer, though not amazing. From the stale background notes I'm wondering if this is old, though it's well within date. Decent malt character with an unusual yeast presence (like an English ale). No aromatic hops to be discerned. Goes down easily enough but just isn't that interesting. I wanted to like this more - perhaps I'll have another, fresher one some time.

3.21/5  rDev -16.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Pours out a rusty, gold color with small champagne-like bubbles drifting to the top

No nose to start with, may have been served too cold. Has a thick creamy head that dissipates quickly.

The first thing that hits the tongue is a subtle sweetness, like caramel that just jumps up to do a quick jig on your tastebuds and quickly runs away, revealing a nice hoppy finish that lasts possibly a bit too long...like an in-law spending time at your house. you may like them, but there's a limit to how long you can stand them.

Mouthfeel is crisp, thin and biting and leaves a slightly dry feeling on your palate.

Special Note: do not drink this beer too cold. like many beers and wines, the flavors and aromas must be allowed to breathe. If you don't mind warm beer, this would probably be best at room temperature.

3.21/5  rDev -16.6%

appearance; deep brownish yellow and clear with a quality, stiff, yellow-white head, dissipates slowly leaving lots of chunky lace.

smell; sweet malts and herbal hop spice

taste; mildly sweet at first, changing to a very herbal hop bitterness. Finishes strongly with grainy malt sweetness. The bitterness keeps the sweetness from being to intense, similar to raw bread dough.

mouthfeel; watery with poor carbonation. The finish is dry and crisp.

drinkability; easy enough to drink but it sits uncomfortable in my stomach and I don't feel like having another.

3.21/5  rDev -16.6%

This brew was served to us from draught at The Distillery in Victor, NY. It arrived in a pint glass and shone a pale golden nut brown color. It held a one finger creamy white head that retained decently, to leave bits of lacing around the glass. There was minimal haze, with no sediment, and a light carbonation noted. The aroma was of sweeter grain. This hid a mild fruitiness, and a rather pronounced licorice note. This sweetness was enhanced by faint esters. Finally, on the back, there was a tomato acidity, acetylaldehyde, and a white wine vinegar to cut the original dextrins. As we sipped, we began with grains and a licorice flavoring, as was present in the nose. This was sickly sweet for a start. The middle exhibited a huge grainy quality, with much of it coming across as cheap-beery adjuncts. Here, too, there was cooling vanilla, and mild phenolic esters. This helped smooth the transition to a bitter end, given by grain and black pepper burns of alcohol. The aftertaste breathed of the malt bill, bitter booze, light bananas, and a spice of booze. The body was medium and the carbonation was medium. The feel was quite hollow, with a steely dryness to it. With each sip came a stickiness, but again, this faded into a drying coininess. The abv was appropriate and the beer drank as more of a sipper, due to the contrast between bitter and sickly sweet throughout the tasting.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was the look. The coloring was deep, rich, and dark, with a nice frame of a head. Where we lost points was in the adjuncty grain through the middle, which became harsh at times. Despite this, the licorice vibe as a primary source of sweetness was something that kept the drinker interested, and coming back for more.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

It either does not travel well (from SFO to Tulsa) or is overrated. It has a typical copper-amber color as most pale ales do and a slight head, as you'd find on an American lager. it is a fairly balanced brew but none of the malt or hop characteristics stand out. it finishes with a lingering bitterness that is expected. I'm wondering if the problem was with me, I'd had this beer before (in the bottle) several years ago in San Francisco and liked it ok, but this was a let-down. I'll try it again on-tap when I know my palate is not compromised.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

I enjoyed the taste and flavor. Came in a bottle poured it ınto a glass. good color. it was my first west coast beer... had it a while ago while visiting in SF wish I could remember more. I Really liked the bottle. I thought it was fun and creative... had it in a pub somewhere in Ghiradelli square. :)

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

I have to say this is the only steam beer I've been able to find in my area, so my review is only based on this, and not comparable to any other beer.

A - The beer poured a medium amber, forming a small thin head, that quickly faded, leaving no lace on the glass.

S - The aroma is light, mainly consisting of fruit notes, and maybe a little malt. The aroma is weak, so thats all I could really detect.

T - The taste is not like any other beer I've experienced. Light hops at first, followed by a little malt in the middle, and finnishing with a dry sour taste.

M - The mouthfeel is medium, with a rough finish.

Overall, I dont think I could drink more than one of these at a time. Not having experienced this style, I cant really say if its a bad example, or a good one. I'll have to try the style more, before I can say if I like it or not. Congrats to Anchor though, for going the creative mile!

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz into a conical pint.
A - Orangey- gold with a hint of chill haze. Not much head, but a decent short-lived lace.

S - BLAND. Not much muchness. But not terrible. A hint of something resembling a respectable beer.

T - Very fruity with wildflowers.

M - Dry fruit and some... thing.

O - Begging forgiveness. Not at all familiar with California Steam beer. This just wasn't bad at all. It's like my opinion of Belgian beers: they just have their own little thing going on. My first impression? Honestly? "So this is what happens when you ale a lager!" Give me another try next summer.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

This beer pours a clear deep amber has a one finger light tan head with excellent retention and a nice coating of lace on the glass afterwards. The aroma is of sweet malt and caramel. The flavor is low in hops at first, earthy roasted malt with a slightly bitter hop finish. This beer seems to be their standard bearer but i'll take their much hoppier Liberty ale over this any day.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Although it pours a nice clear yellow, I think don't think that it's an exceptional beer to be rated above average. It is better than your big brewery beers, but an average beer! Tried it about two years ago and thought it tasted better. Will try again later!

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

The smell of this brewwasquite malty. It poured into a light amber color into my glass. Very malty flavor as well, also bitter for a beer of this type. The beer was too bland for me. I prefer liberty ale if going with this brewer...at least that has some flavor. However, I would rather drink something from Victory.

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

I hadn't had this beer in 10 years, and a lots happened to me and the world of beer since then. It is a substantial lager, lightly sweet and heavily malted. Not bad, but hardly an assault on the senses. I'd give it a weak recommendation.

The beer is a pleasing golden amber with decent had that rapidly dissipates. Aroma is lightly sweet and just a bit hoppy. There is very little hoppiness in the flavor, which is rather malty and very sweet which was OK. Mouthfeel is lightly carbonated, smooth, and pleasant.

A: Gold to Dark Brown with a thin foamy head
S: Lots of Malt flavor with a little floral of violet
T: Tasted like a rich malt follwed by a ravish of spicy hop bitterness
M: This, tasty and fun to drink...

D: I could easily drink a 6er of this beer and I hear they open ferment on top of the roofs in SF.

Anchor Steam Beer from Anchor Brewing Company