Anchor Steam Beer - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Steam BeerAnchor Steam Beer

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

California Common / Steam Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Anchor Steam Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,916 | Hads: 5,430
3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

It either does not travel well (from SFO to Tulsa) or is overrated. It has a typical copper-amber color as most pale ales do and a slight head, as you'd find on an American lager. it is a fairly balanced brew but none of the malt or hop characteristics stand out. it finishes with a lingering bitterness that is expected. I'm wondering if the problem was with me, I'd had this beer before (in the bottle) several years ago in San Francisco and liked it ok, but this was a let-down. I'll try it again on-tap when I know my palate is not compromised. (548 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

I enjoyed the taste and flavor. Came in a bottle poured it ınto a glass. good color. it was my first west coast beer... had it a while ago while visiting in SF wish I could remember more. I Really liked the bottle. I thought it was fun and creative... had it in a pub somewhere in Ghiradelli square. :) (303 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

I have to say this is the only steam beer I've been able to find in my area, so my review is only based on this, and not comparable to any other beer.

A - The beer poured a medium amber, forming a small thin head, that quickly faded, leaving no lace on the glass.

S - The aroma is light, mainly consisting of fruit notes, and maybe a little malt. The aroma is weak, so thats all I could really detect.

T - The taste is not like any other beer I've experienced. Light hops at first, followed by a little malt in the middle, and finnishing with a dry sour taste.

M - The mouthfeel is medium, with a rough finish.

Overall, I dont think I could drink more than one of these at a time. Not having experienced this style, I cant really say if its a bad example, or a good one. I'll have to try the style more, before I can say if I like it or not. Congrats to Anchor though, for going the creative mile! (913 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz into a conical pint.
A - Orangey- gold with a hint of chill haze. Not much head, but a decent short-lived lace.

S - BLAND. Not much muchness. But not terrible. A hint of something resembling a respectable beer.

T - Very fruity with wildflowers.

M - Dry fruit and some... thing.

O - Begging forgiveness. Not at all familiar with California Steam beer. This just wasn't bad at all. It's like my opinion of Belgian beers: they just have their own little thing going on. My first impression? Honestly? "So this is what happens when you ale a lager!" Give me another try next summer. (597 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

This beer pours a clear deep amber has a one finger light tan head with excellent retention and a nice coating of lace on the glass afterwards. The aroma is of sweet malt and caramel. The flavor is low in hops at first, earthy roasted malt with a slightly bitter hop finish. This beer seems to be their standard bearer but i'll take their much hoppier Liberty ale over this any day. (382 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

Although it pours a nice clear yellow, I think don't think that it's an exceptional beer to be rated above average. It is better than your big brewery beers, but an average beer! Tried it about two years ago and thought it tasted better. Will try again later! (259 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

The smell of this brewwasquite malty. It poured into a light amber color into my glass. Very malty flavor as well, also bitter for a beer of this type. The beer was too bland for me. I prefer liberty ale if going with this brewer...at least that has some flavor. However, I would rather drink something from Victory. (316 characters)

3.2/5  rDev -16.9%

I hadn't had this beer in 10 years, and a lots happened to me and the world of beer since then. It is a substantial lager, lightly sweet and heavily malted. Not bad, but hardly an assault on the senses. I'd give it a weak recommendation.

The beer is a pleasing golden amber with decent had that rapidly dissipates. Aroma is lightly sweet and just a bit hoppy. There is very little hoppiness in the flavor, which is rather malty and very sweet which was OK. Mouthfeel is lightly carbonated, smooth, and pleasant. (514 characters)

A: Gold to Dark Brown with a thin foamy head
S: Lots of Malt flavor with a little floral of violet
T: Tasted like a rich malt follwed by a ravish of spicy hop bitterness
M: This, tasty and fun to drink...

D: I could easily drink a 6er of this beer and I hear they open ferment on top of the roofs in SF. (304 characters)

3.19/5  rDev -17.1%

Pours a five finger white head that fades very slowly, leaving a good lace. Crystal clear amber color. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Slight hoppy nose. Flavor is more hops than malt but has some sweetness. Smooth. Light bitter finish. $2.15 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma. (305 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured to a golden orange with off-white head that dissipates quickly, with okay lacing. Aroma, while not bad, was nothing real noticeable. Flavor was okay, and this had a decent palate. I did not care for this as much as other Anchor Beers (Old Foghorn and Liberty), but I may have just gotten a bad bottle and may very well try again. This one just didn’t do much for me. (374 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle in to a pint glass.

It is a carbonated amber with little head (could have been the half ass bar tender's pour).

Smells of light hop and malt.

Has a hoppy taste, but not aeromatic hops.

Carbonated mouthfeel and easy to drink.

Very boring beer from a great brewery. (296 characters)

3.18/5  rDev -17.4%

It's a good beer, yeah, time to review the stuff that usually gets passed over because it's good, solid brew, but not one that I would not normally pick up a sixer of, but you know it's on tap at my favorite BBQ restaurant.

Copper, white head,sightly tart first taste that pops out into a great malty. Easy to drink, tasty and like I said, a solid great brew. (363 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -17.7%

Pours golden in color with minimal head retention. It smells nice, very fruity and citrusy, a lot of oranges, also some noticeable hops. Smooth and flavorful, there are some fruity notes matched by a bitter, almost sour taste. The bitterness really sticks around for a while creating a powerful aftertaste. The mouthfeel is good, not too light and not overly heavy either.

This might not be the most drinkable beer I've ever had. It tastes good, but the bitter aftertaste has kept me from drinking more than one of these at a time. (534 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -17.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Light translucent amber with a pretty white head that dissipates.

S - Bready malt with some fruitiness.

T - Dry bread malt followed by earthy tones with some hops, could use more IMO.

M - Medium body with crisp hitting carbonation but not overly carbonated. Dry feeling.

O - I'm a local and have been drinking and enjoying this since before I was a beer snob, however, older and with a more refined palate, this beer is only slightly above average for me. Not saying I wont enjoy more in the future, but Anchor Steam I'm sad to say is mediocre. Anchors other beers are great, though! (591 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -17.9%

Pours medium dark amber-brown with a short creamy head that quickly dissipates. Not much lacing, moderate to high carbonation. Not a lot in the nose, mostly barley, hops, and a hint of fruit. Taste starts off very empty, but flavors come out through the sip, ending with a rather sharp bitterness. Although the mouthfeel is smooth, the bitterness stands out and there is no counterbalance of other flavors. I'd like to try it on tap. (433 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -17.9%

Comes out of the tap impressively smooth and creamy. Transluscent orange color. Body is lighter than I would like, medium to light. The head is so creamy, and the mouthfeel and finish are silky smooth.
Smell is light and clean and understated. Nutty malt. I taste it and it really strikes me as bland; no hops to speak of. It is a very pleasant texture but boring flavor. (373 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -17.9%

12 oz brown bottle. No date.
It pours a pale gold/copper color with a pure white fizzy head.
A light malt aroma rises up then fades quickly. A faint smell of floral hops is noticed.
A light biscuity malt flavor is somewhat lost in the seltzery effervescence.
The light metallic hop bite is also diminished within the Champagne-like spritziness. It's well made but too un-beer-like.
Much different and better on draught! (425 characters)

Pint from Yard House in Newport Beach

Pour was a light brown color with a small silky white head

Smell was pretty strong and full of spice

Taste was a little too hoppy for what kind of beer it was, but smooth otherwise

Could drink a lot of these because of the low ABV and the lightness (290 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -17.9%

Finally, I get to try the famous Anchor Steam!

Looks a really good copper color in the glass with a small head.

Hmmm.... smells sort of malty but lots of bread too.

Just an average tasting beer really. Sort of tastes like anything I could get down here at the local corner gas station. Malty, bready, with a biting carbonation at the end.

Little disappointing but still, I'm glad I got to try this. (403 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

I only wrote a few lines on a napkin for this one since I was at a wine bar in Galena IL, and didn't want to get all beer-geeky since I was with my girlfriend for a romantic evening out.

A - Red amber in color with a nice solid one finger tan head. Lots of lacing on the glass.

S - Unique and sweet. Caramel and sugar cookies. A bit of hops in the background.

T - Sweet and tasty chewy caramel candy. Thin hop profile is thankfully unintrusive. A very malt-forward caramel brew with some pale ale like qualities.

M - Medium bodied. Slightly dry finish. Very fine carbonation feels smooth on the tongue.

D - Pretty decent. I could drink these all night. (657 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from bomber into tulip glass.

L: A hazy amber verging on orange with a creamy, three-finger head leaving delicate lacing. Good start.

S: A little metallic (like a rusty anchor), with notes of honey and perfume, and an uninviting macro lager musk.

T: Fortunately it tastes much better than it smells. It's fruity like a tart and refreshing Granny Smith, with some underlying floral (perhaps lavender) notes, while the malt is reminiscent of honey and biscuit. There's a nice mouth-coating bitterness, but the finish is light on taste and high on tannins.

F: The mouthfeel is like a flat soda -- a medium body that leaves me craving more carbonation. It goes easily enough, but the feel doesn't do the beer's fruity notes any favors.

O: Anchor Steam is pleasant enough, but if this is the prime example of a California Common, there's nothing about it that makes me want to explore this style any further. (920 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -18.2%

12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance was a clean copper color with a 1in thin, white head. The head slowly dissipated leaving a nice thin lacing throughout. The taste has a good level of carbonation and a malt flavor with some apple fruity flavors. I was not a huge fan of the lingering aftertaste which made it become a little tedious to drink towards the end.

I have no other experiences with Steam / California Common style beers, so my preferences may just be not geared towards the style rather than the Anchor Steam itself. (537 characters)

3.14/5  rDev -18.4%

Served in a bottle poured into pint glass.

App- light caramel in color with a small head which dis not hang around long.

Smell- maybe it was because I am stuffy right now but I did not get much in the way of aroma on this one. Gonna try a few other beers tonight so I will know if I can or can't smell later.

Taste/mouthfeel- I was a little disappointed after first taste. However after sitting here sipping I am beginning to be able to taste it a little better. Again maybe to to stuffy head. Slightly bitter with a little sour mixed in. Enjoying the malty finish with a taste/feel of a cream ale.

I don't think I would go out and pick up a case of this but would be ok with downing a few from time to time. (722 characters)

3.13/5  rDev -18.7%

The beer settled with a murky amber appearance and a generally thin, but creamy head. I sensed a slice spice ingredient to the beer but generally had fruity and hoppy characteristics. Taste had a mostly bitter punch to it with a slightly sweet aftertaste. Not enough to call it a balanced bitter-sweetness. I enjoyed the carbonation the most as the mouthfeel made this really refreshing and light. Overall, a decent beer. (421 characters)

Anchor Steam Beer from Anchor Brewing Company