Anchor Steam Beer - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Steam BeerAnchor Steam Beer

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

California Common / Steam Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,234 | Reviews: 1,922

The only beer I didn't finish on my Old Chicago World Beer Tour. I tried it about 2 years later, thinking it might have been a bad batch...it wasn't. My taste buds flip inside out to avoid the taste of Anchor Steam. Yecch!

1.12/5  rDev -70.9%

1.25/5  rDev -67.5%
look: 1.25 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.25 | overall: 1.25

To me this is in the same category as BMC.

1.66/5  rDev -56.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

Appearance--This pours a deep golden amber color. Nearly no surface foam. Low carbonation--nearly flat. No lacing.

Aroma--Smells of slight carmel, malt and hints of a metal trash can. Smells like a dirty bar room floor. Sorry. A combination of puke and metal.

Taste--This was terrible. Actually one of the first beers I have ever stopped drinking. No skunking, but possibly it has gone bad. Unfortunately, there are no dates for freshness. That is their fault for not labeling as such. It was bought at a very good high volume store--Binny's in Chicago. I am willing someday to try again based on the favorable reviews of others. But if it has gone bad it speaks volumes to the importance of date labeling.

Mouthfeel--Watery, flat metallic- awful.

Drinkability--I stopped drinking it.

1.68/5  rDev -56.4%

It has a strong hoppy taste

1.7/5  rDev -55.8%

I don't like this beer...it taste way too bitter and sour for my taste. It's really unflavorful and one of the worst beers that I have ever had. I tried to at least give it some sort of love since it's a California thing but I just couldn't do it. Sorry but it's just not the best thing that I have ever drank for sure...

1.92/5  rDev -50.1%

Anchor Steam. I thought I'd give it a try, because I overheard a few people talking about it during a recent visit to San Francisco. Here goes:

Appearance: It has a unique look. It pours a burnt-orange color that glows like the fluid in a lava lamp. Thin head that looks like the foam on a glass of iced tea.

Smell: I really couldn't smell anything at all.

Taste: I don't like the taste. Bitter, sour, acidic.

Mouthfeel: Average. Low carbonation, but still sort of crisp.

Drinkability: Nope.

For me, Anchor Steam is custom-made for the kind of beer drinker who orders one beer, takes a few sips, and talks about how great it is instead of actually finishing the bottle and ordering another. I can't understand why this beer gets such high ratings. I guess it's one of those "Emperor's New Clothes" things.

Tastes bad, overpriced, no big f***in' deal.

1.96/5  rDev -49.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 1.75 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 2

Appearance: Light amber brown color, small white head.
Aroma: Lightly toasted malt aroma.
Taste: Lightly roasted malt, somewhat smokey flavor. Very bitter harsh finish. Medium bodied, medium carbonation.
Overall: This beer is a major disappointment. It miss the mark on every level. The aroma and taste only gave hints of roasted malts. While trying to infuse a hoppy finish, this brew ended up being a “bitter” mess.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Anchor Steam Beer from Anchor Brewing Company