2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Anchor Steam Beer - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Steam BeerAnchor Steam Beer

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

California Common / Steam Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2001)
View: Beers (21) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Anchor Steam Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,104 | Reviews: 1,818 | Show All Ratings:
wagenvolks

look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Color is a golden-copper-amber mix with a moderate amount of cream head. Aroma has some vanilla, wheat, rice, and sour metallic notes. Very faintly reminds me of a budweiser. (not a good thing)

Taste has some maltiness to it, with a sour, astringent grassy hop note and a metallic copper flavor. It's overly carbonated with an unpleasant tasting hop/metal aftertaste. Not especially tasty or easy to drink. It sure looked good, but damn, I just don't see what everyone is nutting over with this one...

03-29-2007 03:32:46 | More by wagenvolks
magictrokini

2.58/5  rDev -33.3%

Pours amber with a medium white head. Corny, bready aroma with a fair amount of malt. Astringent metal and bread dough taste that has been watered down. The hops don't do much in terms of adding or detreacting from the beer. Sorry, this one is overhyped and watery.

12-04-2008 22:55:16 | More by magictrokini
DerBayer

Germany

2.58/5  rDev -33.3%

A - slightly cloudy amber colour with a dark tinge

S - Hops, bitter nothing special

T - Little comlexity, little depth, quite bitter but nothing special

M - Dry ver dry, not refreshing leaves a dry / furry moutrhfeel

D - Not very high wouldnt really want to drink it again

07-06-2009 20:05:52 | More by DerBayer
D11

from bottle into tulip

A- amber orange color with a one finger head that doesnt last long.

S- mostly malt. some yeast. this smelled close to what a 'regular' beer smells like.

T- taste followed the smell. i was rather dissapointed in the taste. was mainly kind of malty but rather runny and not enough flavor for me. if i wanted to drink a 'regular' beer or a 'lite' beer , this is just a notch above.

M- mouthfeel was probably the best thing i liked about this beer.

O- i did not enjoy this beer. maybe because i was expecting something different. i doubt ill buy it again but there may be some that will like this style. tastes like all the other beers out there i used to drink before i got into craft brew. i kinda feel like i would of enjoyed it more from the bottle perhaps.

11-14-2011 05:06:50 | More by D11
jahsausage

New Zealand (Aotearoa)

2.63/5  rDev -32%

I suspect that I have got myself a skunked bottle or something here, its had to come a long way you understand. On first pour the beer looked beautiful with a nice coppery colour and decent head and smelt mildly of malt & yeast (it reminded me of homebrew). The taste itself I found quite subdued, perhaps what would be expected in a kiwi/uk style mild ale but the aftertaste was not to my taste. I found it not only lingering but astringent and sourish like nothing I have tasted before bar homebrewing disasters. I think I am going to have to reserve my judgement on this one until I can try a (hopefully) fresher bottle.

06-10-2006 03:31:22 | More by jahsausage
jujubeast6000

2.65/5  rDev -31.5%

Reviewed 2/5/2006 (12oz bottle):

Pours an amber red colored body, with a big white head, that is somewhat diminishing. An aroma of malts, with some hops, but not very much aroma overall. A bitter taste, maltiness, and some sourness. Not very fizzy. Eh. Though I would like to try a couple more in this style before I judge based on just this one beer.

11-02-2008 17:10:36 | More by jujubeast6000
merryjoulton

Arkansas

2.65/5  rDev -31.5%

Pours an amber with light head that retains well and does a bit of lacing down the glass. Smell is interesting, clean malty bready character along with a slight hint of hops... a tad citrusy. Taste is disappointing, there is a strong bite that is very unpleasant but I can't put my finger on it. Mouthfeel and drinkability are ok.

07-18-2009 17:56:04 | More by merryjoulton
GnomeKing

2.68/5  rDev -30.7%

The taste of the lager yeast is very prominent, reminding me of Yuengling Lager, especially toward the end of the pint, when the taste became heavy, dominant, and overwhelming. This beer just doesn't do it for me. There were some hints of strawberries and a tinge of malty sweetness on a few swigs when the pint was half full (or half empty, since I'm giving a negative review), but that was a brief respite from the experience of swigging this beer. Steam (aka California Common) is a style unto itself. I don't have much interest in it, based on this beer. It tastes more or less like a generic lager. I'm not surprised there aren't many brewers working in this style.

08-18-2005 19:30:02 | More by GnomeKing
WonderWoman

2.7/5  rDev -30.2%

I got this beer in a bottle and it came with a frosty mug. Once in the mug, the beer looked a light amber. At first it had a nice frothy head that soon dissipated to nothing. It smelled of a fresh cut lemon and a bitter hops with a few oats in the background. The taste reminded me of a watery red grapefruit with a metallic aftertaste that lingered far too long. Lacking carbonation, this beer had a very thin mouth feel to it. Over all, I thought I could do with out ever drinking an entire bottle again. However, I could take a swig here and there with out being totally offended.

05-14-2006 17:13:03 | More by WonderWoman
NatetheGreat

Nevada

2.7/5  rDev -30.2%

I feel bad that I am not able to give this beer a very good rating, since from all the data, its a very historic, landmark, and highly favored beer. But I just didn't enjoy it. I tried it on six seperate evenings, and while some were a bit better than others, I never really enjoyed it much.

A: nice copper color, sudsy head, not much retention in pint glass.

S: malty, some hops, not much complexity. very straightforward.

T: predominantly malty, with bitter hops in background. back and forth between the two. can't rate this higher because no layering of flavors detected. very bland (not in a macro-American-lager way - it's strong, but bland, almost a stale taste).

M: heavy, thick.

D: hard to get through even one for me, because the taste is so laboreous.

01-16-2008 13:08:35 | More by NatetheGreat
JesseP09

2.7/5  rDev -30.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

It is a decent beer. Nothing spectacular. The flavor and aftertaste are total putoffs though. At first it doesn't taste too bad but once you swallow it the taste is really off. I'm not a big fan of some beer that is "beer snob approved" and this is one of those.

03-05-2009 15:48:26 | More by JesseP09
OWSLEY069

2.73/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clean copper color with an off-white head. In the aroma, a sweet malt characteristic, and the same for taste, but with a dryer end. A sweet dryness left in the mouth. A very easy going, smooth beer. Lots of repect to Anchor, it got my parents to understand craft beer!

07-14-2007 20:00:26 | More by OWSLEY069
TheChauffeur1

2.75/5  rDev -28.9%

Pours a red gold with some orange color good white head with a little lacing. Not much smell to speak of. I try not to review beer styles I do not like, but I should like this one. Some really like this beer. IMO it is just a run of the mill beer. Its ok, but lacks any depth or real taste to speak of. I have had many a bottle and this beer is better on tap. You can do much better than this one. Later

04-11-2009 16:20:49 | More by TheChauffeur1
RedChrome

Connecticut

2.78/5  rDev -28.2%

Pour was a very nice almost orange color. Tons of carbonation help highlight the nice cream colored head. Almost no lacing.

Had a very hoppy aroma upon first sniff. Second whiff hints at fruity aromas that almost smell like a fruit salad. I noted hints of pineapple, lemon, apricot, and pears.

Not that impressed with the taste. This brew was to bitter even for my taste. The fruit wasn't in balance to the hops, which overpowered the whole flavor. Might taste fantastic with slighlty less hop.

Feels slighty watery but has a fair amount of carbonation that dances on the edges of my mouth.

If you don't mind the bitterness, this might be a good choice for you. It doesn'tfit my tastes, and unfortunatly, won't go onto my list of would drink again beers.

06-06-2006 05:37:43 | More by RedChrome
claybeer

Oklahoma

2.78/5  rDev -28.2%

Anchor Steam has a clean copper yellow. A thick head tops off this beer. It's golden off white color laces the glass. Not much of a nose? This disappointing considering it's great appearance. It has some bitterness but all-in-all a very light beer. There is no after taste either. This is the most drinkable beer I have had from the Anchor Brewing Company, but it lacks in something to make it stand out against other beers.

08-16-2010 18:34:30 | More by claybeer
charlatan

United Kingdom (Scotland)

2.8/5  rDev -27.6%

Bought this on tap at Madame Butterfly Restaurant in Portland.

The straw to amber colour was lighter than the beers I tend to prefer. A creamy head added to the feel, particularly early on.

The nose was of a rather dim, bitter type of creaminess, reminding me of Boddington's Bitter which I have never been particularly fond of.

I haven't sampled a beer like this in a good while. It struck me as rather diluted (I prefer a much fuller flavour), yet at the same time dry.

The hops delivered a decent degree of bitterness, but were rather one dimensional, and didn't mix well with the creamy malt. This is a combination which makes little sense to my palate.

02-21-2005 10:36:53 | More by charlatan
Dougal

2.8/5  rDev -27.6%

This was a bit of a disappointment....it was good beer with not much of the frills of many of the other beers that i would categorize it with. It was like a pale ale light, the lingering malt/hoppiness dance does not stay with you long and the beer tends to flatten out a bit towards the end of a sip.

It reminds me of a brown ale that is trying to be a pale ale but without the gusto....I'd like to try the liberty and hummer for comparison. Does the lower abv equate with a flatter taste?

10-27-2010 00:31:20 | More by Dougal
far333

Connecticut

2.83/5  rDev -26.9%

Light iced tea color with no head at all. Faint aroma of hop and florals. Mouthfeel is a bit bubbly and tingly, with carbonation being on the high side. The flavor in general is weak. It consists of mild malt, but there is a distinct metallic undertone to it. A light hop bitterness lingers. I just don't see the attraction to this one.

05-26-2003 02:36:35 | More by far333
marcellaproust

Washington

look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice, fluffly head that eventually dissipates into an assertive cloud cover. Amber colored. Smells like basic beer: that Budweiser, Miller, Pabst scent. Starts with a malty (no roast) blank creaminess and ends with plenty of hops. A conversation-enabling beer: pleasant enough to go unnoticed.

05-09-2004 03:08:48 | More by marcellaproust
scoobybrew

Indiana

2.83/5  rDev -26.9%

This beer has a light amber color and when I poured it, there was a decent head retention. There is almost no aroma to speak of, mostly malt with a hint of alcohol and no hop aroma. The taste was a bit "earthy" with the malt dominating and slight hop bitterness, but then again, this might be the lager yeast (fermented at ale temperatures). The finish was clean, with a slight hop bitterness lingering. The consistency was fairly common.

Overall, a decent example of a uniquely American style. It was okay to share this with an Austrian friend who had never had this style before, but I don't think I'd be purchasing this on a regular basis (I would rather have Anchor's Liberty Ale, as my tastes lean towards the American Pale style...also, too much good homebrew to drink!).

03-31-2006 17:11:06 | More by scoobybrew
scout19d3

2.83/5  rDev -26.9%

This draught beer was a mellow orange cloudy color upon arrival.

It smelled slightly sweet or faintly fruity.

The taste was better than I expected. A sweet and slightly sour presentation. Hard to place, but it improved sip after sip.

Drinkability will change dramatically, I suspect, to personal taste. I was satisfied by the time I finished the pint, but didn't feel the need to order it again.

12-09-2007 02:01:18 | More by scout19d3
Pencible

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

This poured a dark amber with a little off-white head. It smelled predominantly of malt with some yeast as well. It tasted like dirty malt with some hops bitterness. It was watery and smooth with no carbonation and a very slightly bitter aftertaste. Overall this was surprisingly dirty and bland.

03-27-2008 20:49:42 | More by Pencible
warmstorage

2.85/5  rDev -26.4%

12 ounce bottle, pours a bright copper orange with a medium dense, slightly rocky off white head.

Aroma is grainy, sweet malt, no hop bitterness to speak of. A slight off-smell detected. I hate to say this, but it smells a little like, well, poop.

Taste is bright tangy fruity, slightly spicy, with a strong toasty/bready finish. Again, hops are muted. A little grainy and metallic. A definite tang in the finish that isn't real pleasant.

Bright, tingly carbonation in the mouth, a little too much.

Drinkable beer, but definitely not something I buy on any kind of a regular basis. It's a storied company and a storied style, but Anchor makes far better beer (Anchor Porter, e.g.)

03-15-2007 19:42:05 | More by warmstorage
BeerKangaroo

Alaska

2.86/5  rDev -26.1%

In a pint glass (also had in a pilsener):

A: clear, golden amber body with lots of carbonation seen rising, white head dissipates with a lumpy looking leftover carbonated look, lacing is ringy and spotty

S: malty and yeasty/bready, slightly sweet and nutty

T: malts come back fairly strong, but not sweet, balanced with decent bitterness

M: light, sessionable, dry aftertaste and finish

O: its not one of the greatest beers out there, but I`ll probably come back to it just to re-review

01-20-2012 19:00:48 | More by BeerKangaroo
GeoffFromSJ

2.88/5  rDev -25.6%

Taste is subjective and all that, and this beer didn't do too much for me. It starts off well with a nice head which quickly goes down to a lace. It has a nice amber color. The smell is nothing special, but not bad. Same for the taste. As others have mentioned, it has a bite and has a nice hop finish. The hops finish isn't really balanced against any other flavor so the finish ends up distracting from the final taste. It seems to have not much of a taste until the aftertaste. I'm not unhappy with this beer, but it doesn't satisfy me either. This is the only beer I've tried within the "steam" style.

10-10-2003 17:47:53 | More by GeoffFromSJ