Anchor Steam Beer - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Steam BeerAnchor Steam Beer

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

California Common / Steam Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2001)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Anchor Steam Beer Alström Bros

Nothing very memorable for me.

sad but a skunked bottle as a fresh delivery to Jims

2.08/5  rDev -46.1%

I flew into San Francisco airport and was stuck waiting for my "lost" baggage so I decided to have the amulet beer of northern Cali.

A: Clear, golden amber. LOTS of carbonation. Solid white head with good retention, lacing.

S: Malty, overwhelming yeast - sweet, nutty.

T: This is where I was shocked and disappointed, up to this point it seemed like a promising beer. Heavy malts. Extremely bitter, almost metallic. There wasn't much flavor, more so was just an assault on my tastebuds.

M: Light bodied, in the realm of BMC... leaves palate quickly, leaves mouth dry.

O: I was disappointed with this beer. Tasted incredibly bitter and not refreshing at all. I would put it on par with Bud/Miller but not as neutral.
I'll need to try again because there is no way this beer is as famous and world renowned as it is if it tastes as I had it. I was hoping by being in the hometown it would result in an above par experience but that was not the case.

2.08/5  rDev -46.1%

A-Amber and bubbly with a thick off white colored head. some lacing

S-has a distinct corn american adjunct lager smell to it. its a weak scent

T-comes in with a strong taste of rice and then transforms in to a really bitter and somehow boozy taste of plastic. The after-taste isn't so bad. It has that barley/corn taste to it. Overall, I am not a fan of this beer. I'm not sure if it is the style or not, but this isn't to my liking...the bitterness is just to odd and strong to be in this beer.

M-strong carbonation but has a light body that reminds me of a BMC drink with a resembling finish as well

D-I'll be honest, this is on the same level as many BMC beers...even the light ones. I don't think I'll ever have another one of these.

2.17/5  rDev -43.8%

Note: this beer is waaaay better on tap, especially closer to San Francisco. Having said that, this bottle product's appearance is slightly hazy amber with ruby highlights and a frothy off-white head. Aroma, oh boy, has some issues. Vegetal hits my right away with smells of cook asparagus. Behind that was a decent malt profile of toasted grains and some caramel. No hop aroma. Flavor has some more asparagus, wet paper cardboard, and the same malt profile behind all that such as in the aroma. Medium hop bitterness but barely any trace of Northern Brewer hop which is the highlight of this style. My conclusion is that this was from old stock because the hop aroma and flavor had completely faded and the oxidation, but there are some brewing issues there, too, that produced the vegetal issues. I've had this beer at the brewery and there it was absolutely delicious. Shame that there's packaging issues.

2.23/5  rDev -42.2%

A - Slightly hazy copper to auburn with a medium head with no lacing.

S - Caramel malt with a touch of vanilla and some golden delicious apples.

T - Slight smokey sweetness with a hint of apple flavor followed by a very potent, and not so pleasant, hop bitterness that lingers long, far, far, far too long, after I sipped. The aftertaste ruins this beer.

M - Carbonation too high, viscous, slightly refreshing, but the oppressive aftertaste ruins the prospect of true refreshment.

D - Pretty bad. I passed off the second half of my bomber. It just wasn't an enjoyable brew. I don't know about food pairings, I think there might be something with which it would be sucessfully paired, but I cannot envision it (might be the barleywine that I just drank). Sessionable? No. Not at all. It is weak enough for sure, but the aftertaste destroys the prospect of sessioning this beer.

2.24/5  rDev -42%

2.24/5  rDev -42%

A - Pours dark gold with a finger and a half of white head. Left no lacing.

S - Sour malt and creamed corn.

T - Predominantly creamed corn, With a bit of the " steamed " character.

M - Medium slightly smoky body with heavy carbonation.

O - Overall, What the hell? Why is their so much praise for this beer? Perhaps I just got a bad bottle, But it tasted like a slightly smoked corona.

Anchor Steam Beer from Anchor Brewing Company