Anchor Steam Beer - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Steam BeerAnchor Steam Beer

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

California Common / Steam Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Anchor Steam Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,914 | Hads: 5,421
3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

I spotted a six-pack of this Californian Common while I was grocery shopping at Giant Eagle. I was really surprised to find it and have never seen it sold at my local Giant Eagle before. When grocery shopping I always stop and check to see if they have any new micro beers in stock. And to my surprise they had two six-packs left. I grabbed one and rushed home to crack one open.

This beer pours a very clear average size head, which clings to the glass nicely to form a good lace on the glass. Color is any where from copper to amber. Head retention is average and carbonation seemed just right. Has a clean malty and grainy aroma. An average bitterness with a dry aftertaste that just lingers a little. This beer goes down very easy. Nothing real exciting and nothing really wrong either.

After finishing one I was a slightly disappointed. It may have been due to all the expectation and hype I have heard about this famous beer. One consideration to take from my review is that I live in Cleveland, Ohio so this beer may not have been in the best condition. I will definitely be giving this beer another try. Everyone must try an Anchor Steam beer at least once. (1,172 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +19.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I have had a renewed love affair with Anchor the last month or so. Since returning to my "roots" I thought I should re review this classic that is responsible for the micro revolution, it also started me in to the world of quality beer. This beer is a medium amber, head retention and lacing are excellent. Fresh malty and grainy aroma is prominent. Smooth, rounded, refreshing and a tad dry. Some caramel notes, Good hoppy bite. A totally drinkable beer, good year round. (472 characters)

4.17/5  rDev +8.3%

Buttery, caramelly, and honeyed, this is an absolutely gorgeous beer. Anchor Steam centers this hybrid style of beer around the lager instead of the ale and so it comes off as a rich example of an otherwise unenticing style. Malt character is up front with flawless northern brewer bittering that's lightly spicy, but otherwise neutral. One of the most subtle beers I've had, yet it never fails to deliver. This isn't a beer, it's a lesson in etiquette.

Relax, relax.
ng (474 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Pours a clear beer that is a deep bronze color.

Smell is mostly of hop perfume. There is also malt, grain and toffee smells here.

Taste is of malt balanced by hops, it is a little sweet but then the hops dry the flavor out without being bitter. Mild caramel and citrus are in here. Many ghostly flavors to this, you taste it and then it changes or hides. Succeeds in being flavorful without being harsh in any respect, an excellent brew to convert the Budweiser drinkers of the world.

Mouthfeel is solid.

Super drinkable, mild yet flavorful. (554 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

Anchor Steam is one rollickin' good beer, one that I don't get my hands on nearly often enough. This particular bottle came to me by way of fellow Texan and co-worker BA MJBrill, who picked up a bottle of Anchor OSA and the Steam for me on one of his beer runs.

The Steam has a well-deserved reputation as an American beer classic, and it definitely fits the bill. It lives up to it's hype, that's for sure. This was one of my "gateway" beers many years ago, one of my initial introductions to the wider world of craft beers.

Anchor Steam pours with an amber hue, lighter looking than one might expect. The head was a good half-inch thick, but it didn't hand around for too long. Still, a nice-looking pour. Good carbonation. Smell was malty and faintly fruity in an nondescript way.

The taste was smooth and easygoing. Slight hops bitterness chased the malts, but the light fruityness kept tingling my tongue. Slightly biscuity, with an earthy feel the whole way down. Very good mouthfeel, the level of carbonation is just about perfect in this beer. Extremely drinkable, it was gone before I knew it, leaving me to wonder why I don't pick this up more often.

If you've never had this classic beer, try one. It's distributed just about everywhere, and it's generally affordable. Anchor Steam has a lot of interesting history behind it, as does the entire Anchor Brewing Company. It's right powerfull stuff, and it's fun to learn the background of this great American beer. I'm glad I had the opportunity to spend some time with this old friend. (1,559 characters)

3.65/5  rDev -5.2%

Served in a cold bottle with a frigid, ice-crusted beer mug. Once I let both warm for about 10 minutes, I was all set to pour beer into glass. Dark amber with a heavy dose of orange. The head was eggshell white and firm. It had decent staying power and left several thick rings of lace.

The smell was of earthy hops, not a bit floral or citrusy. The flavor was of earthy hops and grain. There was a mild-moderate amount of bitterness without much hop flavor, but it was still pretty good stuff.

The finish was long and bitter and the beer dried out a bit at the very end. The mouthfeel was firm, seamless and smooth. Anchor Steam is a true American classic. (661 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -1%

Pours a clear, copper amber with a small beige head that retains well, and leaves lots of patchy and sheet lacing. Nose is subdued, but is a nice balance of fruity hops and caramel malt. Mouthfeel is well carbonated with a moderate hops bite. Good, well rounded taste that is dominated by lager style malts. Plenty of fruity and floral hops for balance. A very friendly drinking American classic that is deserving of its reputation in the history of 20th century American brewing. Exceptional drinkability. (506 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -13.5%

I had a pint of this last night and I was a little taken aback. I've had this in a bottle before, but I decided to try it on tap (especially after trying the Anchor Steam Xmas brew--excellent!!) This beer pours a medium orange-brown and had a faint musty smell. The taste was different. Certainly not what I remembered. I sort of think I had some pulled from a really old keg, because it just felt flat, and had macro-like thinness. I know this isn't a thick beer, and I noted light citrus notes of orange or something, but again it just felt 'off'. There were very faint hops, and decent malt, but again, not what I wanted. I'll try to re-review with a well kept bottle, but as it stands, I would not order this on tap again (at least not where I got it last time) (765 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -19.5%

Clear amber hue, thin bubbly white head. Weak aroma of hops, malts, barely noticeable. Creamy, sweet, sweet malts off the bat, backed by somewhat of a light grainy touch. Hops dominated palate; medium bodied. Dry finish, little aftertaste going on here. Perhaps a yeasty end, again hops-dominated palate. Not as good as I remember, somewhat subdued flavorings, nothing to really get your attention. Average across the board. (424 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A very clear light copper with a whitish head with impressive creaminess and retention. A bright sting of hops, but surprisingly not cascades in this californian brew. It smells like a German variety along with bready buttery malt. Flavor is a nice fight between the hops and caramel malt - the hop flavor and bitterness rides all the way through, although I find the finish is slightly harsh. The body is too heavy to be a session brew of mine, and the tingly carbonation is not that great. Despite the rich history, I find this brew to be pretty forgetable. Good hop flavors accompany a decent caramel malt body with a subpar feel. An average beer. (650 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -7.8%

Anchor Brewing is another company that can be considered one of the "pioneers" of the microbrew revolution. Who knows where American beer might be if Fritz Maytag stuck to selling household appliances instead of beer. Anchor Steam Beer is a unique beer that is just a bit funkier than your average run-of-the-mill American macro.

This beer pours a nice copper/amber color with a decent off-white foam that lasts for about 30 seconds. A very fruity aroma emminates from this beer with a light hoppiness detectable underneath that. The mouthfeel is a little thin, and there is a low-moderate amount of carbonation in this brew. The fruity flavors seem to be the focus here, and a bubblegum like flavor seems to partner up with the fruitiness. There are some hints of caramel malt with an even lighter hint of buttery toffee. Some soapy flavors make their presence felt as well, with a low-moderate hop bitterness popping up in the finish with a grapefruit like quality. The aftertaste has some flavors of toasty grains, and is more dry then I was expecting. The beer finishes off with very little alcoholic warmth.

This is a very easy to drink beer, and even though it isn't the most complex brew in the world it is certainly an interesting one. I wouldn't mind having this with some "finger foods" such as mozzarella sticks, potato skins, buffalo wings, etc. Fritz did the beer drinking world a service by saving the Anchor Brewery, and I'll salute him by drinking a few of these anyday. (1,492 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -10.1%

Deep amber color, with a great head. Smells simultaneously fruity, tangy and malty. This possesses a bitter taste, though deep and malty, and with an aftertaste that is even more bitter. Not surprisingly, this was rather complex, and an impressive example of a truly unique style. (280 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Not a bad beer and perhaps my rating is a bit lower than it would have been if I hadn't heard so many good things about this beer. I tried this beer for the first time in Northern California. It pours a very nice orangish-red type of color. The smell isn't very overpowering. The taste initially is very good but then it gives a bit of a dry aftertaste to which I wasn't a fan of. Its a better beer than most of the things you will find in most local bars. I would try this again but not anywhere where they have a good selection of beers. (539 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -6.5%

Pours a clear copper delight with a nice off-white head. Exceptional lace adorns the glass.

There is a light hop essence in the nose with a hint of sweet malt.

There was not as much flavor as I expected there would be. There is a slight malt sweetness in the taste. I wanted more flavor from this beer.

There was a smooth and creamy presence in the mouth as I drank this beer. A nice hop bite on the back of the tongue finishes the beer.

Despite the absence of flavor, this is a drinkable beer. All other elements of the beer brought up its rating. I would try this again. (584 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

A copper colour with a thick head that had real staying power and ended in a pretty lace. The smell was sweet and malty. The taste had a bready quality to it. Also sweet. It went down pretty smooth with just the right amount of carbonation. A good beer to enjoy with friends or at the bar. (289 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

A very good beer...a classic. I started having this beer(actually my first micro ever) to get away from the macros. Solid, solid beer. Has a nice red/copper color and good hops. Very good taste and a beer to enjoy.

A very complex beer but at the same time I can recommend to those just starting out on the journey of "good" beer that this is a beer not to be missed.

I don't have it as often but every once in awhile I go back to it. I would say it's along the lines of my fav brewer...Sam Adams.

Cheers (513 characters)

4.18/5  rDev +8.6%

Good sized frothy and rocky white head. Clear copper in color. The head is quite sticky and reduces very slowly, holding onto the sides of the glass until it eventually becomes a thin lace. Mild aroma that is a bit different (can’t quite put my finger on it) yet hops are fairly apparent. Nice smooth medium mouthfeel. Bready malt start with a caramel notes. Nice hop finish that is a bit dry and lasts a good length of time. Some slight lemon notes are noticeable. Great highly drinkable, well balanced brew. I really liked this one. Not an overly complex brew, but a great one that I’ll be buying again. (607 characters)

3.97/5  rDev +3.1%

Enjoyed a pint of this at my local pub, the Cock & Bull. I've had Anchor Steam many times before, but never reviewed it until now.

It is a pale bronze color with a short head that vanishes after a few sips. It smells lightly of hops and a teeny bit of malt. There is a good amount of hops in Anchor Steam, both for bitterness and aroma. It had a solid body, neither too light nor too heavy.

Anchor Steam is a good beer, especially for those who enjoy hops. (462 characters)

4.2/5  rDev +9.1%

The beer pours a reddish gold color with a thin white lace head. The aroma is good. It is of sweet malts and a mild hops; very aromatic. The taste is good. It is dry and malty. It has a bit of a watery finish, but all in all it's pretty good. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low/medium bodied beer with adequate carbonation. This is a good drinking beer; an excellent sessions ale. (380 characters)

4.07/5  rDev +5.7%

Coppery amber with a two finger head, that quickly dwindled to a bubbling head, while it lasted the head was quite pillowy. Well carbonated.
Malty sweet and lightly hopped (earthy) aroma.
Malt taste (caramel and toasted grain), but a little too coppery (metallic), earthy hops, slight citrus as well.
Light-medium feel with good carbonation feel, an easy drinking session beer. Thank you Mr. Maytag (402 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +21.6%

Anchor Steam Beer!!

Appearance- a beautiful orange/ copper with a nice thick light tan head. Lacing down the glass that marks every sip you took!
Smell- earthy hops, wood, a hint of citrus.
Taste- oh soo good! Malty with a strong yet smooth hop flavor a hint of bitterness that makes you take another sip and another...
Mouthfeel- crisp with a faint bitterness. Goes down too easy!

Overall, quite frankly 1 of the best beers ever!!! A beer that yo can slowly savor or drink several of hanging out. A beer that you can always rely on!!! (544 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -1.3%

Malty, earthy aromas mingled with mild floral hops waft from this light amber / honey colored beer. Head is minimal.

Taste is no surprise after reading about the brewing process. Mild ale flavors made more crisp and subtle by the lager yeast. Caramel malt leads the way, followed by a dry, zingy, carbonated mouthfeel. Refreshing almost in the same way as cola, with a slightly floral hop finish.

Very friendly on the taste buds; high on the drinkability scale. The amount of flavor is "just right" for a session brew: solid quality, but I could go through several of these without thinking about them. (609 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%

Pours deep amber color with a white and highly fomaed head. Aroma is fairly heavily hopped with whiffs of caramel malt in the background head. Taste is sticky caramel followed by a rush of medium hop bitterness. For some reason this beer is much better wih food for me. It seems to compliment so many beers and only conclusion I have is that s some very complex tastes that just aren't picked up until you add food to the mix. (426 characters)

3.82/5  rDev -0.8%

Best steam beer period. Amber color with white creamy oam head. Toasty salty malt, and above average hops and carbonation which makes it drinkable and popular. Subtle citrus & carmel. candy floss aroma. Lingering aftertaste. Unique. Fills you up and can be before food and then with the meal. (292 characters)

3.9/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours bright orange-yellow. Head is medium and goes away to lace pretty quickly. Smell is malty and carmelly. Pretty nice carbonation in the taste. Mostly malt profile; toasted or smoky taste and a hint of hops. Finish is hard to describe.

Overall not a bad beer. (267 characters)

Anchor Steam Beer from Anchor Brewing Company