Anchor Steam Beer - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Steam BeerAnchor Steam Beer

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

California Common / Steam Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Anchor Steam Beer Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,923 | Hads: 5,473
3.69/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a crystal clear copper colour(how's that for alliteration?) with a touch of off-white head. It smells good, seems to me that it has a citrus smell, with a baked bread aroma and a sweetness not unlike brown sugar.

Has a fresh citrus taste to start and a mild hop finish. Hints of sweetness within the starting, but nothing overpowering.

Decent mouthfeel. without heavy carbonation. Has a little bit of body to it, it doesn't feel thin. This beer is quite drinkable, when finishing one it seems that another is a good idea. (533 characters)

Pours rust-colored with a very nice head that sticks around. For some reason I figured this would be blonde...

Steam hops on the nose, light citrus along with a harsh, almost rye malt scent. Nice.

Tastes more or less like it smells. Sweet, toasted malt upfront with the citrus of the hops coming in on the back.

This beer is juuust right. A great session ale that goes down easy and doesn't rape your mouth, (416 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

Anchor Steam Beer pours a rich deep copper from a dark brown 12oz glass bottle. Head goes well over two fingers and is off white, thickly packed with small firm bubbles that regenerate from the beer below. A generous lacing of foam covers the side of my glass, giving it a world class picture of a well laced beer glass.

Nose is of hops and sweet malt in pleasing and fragrant amounts. Palate is toasted sweet malt, thick and creamy with a well bittered hops presents. There is a floral profile to the hops, but not the heavy kind but rather soft and well balanced with the sweet malt. Anchor Steam Beer reminds me of a good German Märzen.

A well made brew awaits you from Anchor Brewing, no skimping here, and not watery in the least. See it on the shelf, take it from the shelf and buy, it will not disappoint. (820 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

Had this one on-tap w/ dinner tonight. Came to me with a nice golden amber color, but not much head to speak of. I'll blame that on the pour. However, it made up for it with some nice lacing cascading down the glass. A nice citrusy hop nose with some bready sweetness.

Sweet, cirtus/lemon hops mix in with a nice sweet caramel, bready malt. Nice balance and quite tasty.

Mouthfeel was a bit thin but that makes it all the more drinkable. A good session brew. I've never had this in the bottle, but I look forward to trying it. (533 characters)

3.46/5  rDev -10.1%

This is a lot different than what I remember from when I was in SF. For some reason I had the distinct memory of sour dough bread and not particularly liking it. But then again that was a few years ago and my tastes have changed since then. The beer poured out of the bottle with a finger-width head on top that dissappeared down to a thin film with a lace that clung to the sides of the glass. The color was a burnt, clear copper. The hops are not overly complex and roll over the tongue very smoothly. However, I did notice slight hints of lemon and sugar. But what gets me is how much smoother a beer it is now than what I remember. (635 characters)

3.98/5  rDev +3.4%

12 ouncer sampled. No freshness indication on the label. Pours a nice rich dark amber, with an off white creamy, dense head. Respectable lacing left behind. Sweet nose of caramel and brown sugar. Medium bodied, smooth malty base to this one, soft, creamy mouthfeel, very easy on the tongue. Smooth subtle hops in the finish, slightly dry very pleasant quafer/sessoner. Classic early/back in the day micro. thanks for the memories and for the fine suds for all these years! (472 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -8.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Had a nice rich gold color with a good amount of creamy head.

Smell was malty with hoppy esters. Couldn't pick out the remaining aromas.

Taste was similar to taht of a good lager. Fresh and crisp with a good malt pallet and light hoppy bite. Not so bad.

Mouth was smooth and lite with a good amount of carbonation.

Being the only steam beer I've had, this isn't that bad. It would probably be better during the summer rather than the winter. (453 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -7%

This beer pours a light amber. It has a great lace that rings the glass all the way down. Aroma is neutral malt. Flavor begins very neutral. There is a breath of warm malt towards the end, with the suggestion of fruitiness. Clean finish. Medium body

Overall: Very clean malty beer. (284 characters)

4.22/5  rDev +9.6%

This one is quite pleasing. Pours a dark copper color, could use a little more head. Despite this, I love this beer. The hops here have a perfect balance to the malt, and this beer has a crisp, refreshing aftertaste. Exceptionally drinkable. Like a pilsner, this would go with nearly any meal, yet it is more hearty and full bodied than that style. (348 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +18.2%

One of the best all around domestics around. Glad to see it at a cafe for $2.50 a bottle. Usually one of the more expensive six packs at the local grocery store. After reading the review by Michael Jackson 6 months ago, I knew I needed to try this famed steam beer. Loved it then and my feelings haven't changed now. Cannot compare to another steam beer, but the appreance is above average, nice head and carbonation (but seen better). Balanced taste just perfect. Would love to convert others that stick to their Coors, Bud Light and Miller Light. Try one today. (563 characters)

4.43/5  rDev +15.1%

God Bless Fritz Maytag.

The commercial beer selection in Auburn, AL is dismal, if not abysmal compared to most anywhere else in America. (I say "commercial beer" because Auburn has a brewpub, of all things. And I homebrew.) Anyway, three quality microbrews make it to Auburn, and Anchor is one of them. Anchor steam can be found in just about every grocery store, amidst the pretend real beers such as Redhook and Flying Dog. If I'm out of my own stuff, and I want to have a good beer sitting at home after work - oftentimes it's Anchor Steam because Anchor Brewing and their 50 employess get beer from San Fran all the way to here.

Appearance - Just your average beautiful amber I'd expect from a beer like this. Good, but nothing special.

The smell is overwhemingly malty

As indicated by the smell, Big and malty up front. Is there something lemony/fruity there as well? Great dry grassy hop finish that balances out the malt perfectly. Mouthfeel is full and kinda creamy. This beer can be different from sip to sip. Lately when I have one of these the flavors all seem to run together rather, rather than having a beginning, middle, and end. Definately some lemony esters up front. One of my few fallbacks. (1,218 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

Poured out a nice amber color with a 2 finger head ,slightly hazy appearance,,looks really good.Im impressed with the taste, has good amount of hoppiness and it goes down really smooth,,no aftertaste. I could see me havin a few of these and it sucks because i bought only one :( (278 characters)

3.95/5  rDev +2.6%

Pours out a nice copper color with good carbonation a a thick white head.Aroma is a mix of spicy hops and biscuity malt.Taste the definition of "Balance." A malty, creamy front end, with some toffee type notes, which gives way to nice dry bitterness to finish things off. Reminds me of HSA really. very good stuff, and worth the 8 bucks a sixer. Smooth & creamy mouthfeel, drinkablity is decent. (395 characters)

4.23/5  rDev +9.9%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Consumed in October 2004. Purchased at the local Safeway. Pours with a deep copper/amber color. I very nice head, which some was still remaining after it was gone. Very little lace, but not expected either. Smells of hops, malt, maybe a bit of citrus. A very unique beer in my opinion. Has that lager taste, but also has that IPA taste to it. Even has a bit of citrus taste in the mix. It goes down very smooth. A very easy beer to go through a six pack and still want more. Possibly my favorite session beer, or at least for a nice hot day after working or playing hard. This was the first beer I was introduced to while growing up. I remember swimming in Eagle Lake (Northern California) and doing a little snorkling and finding a bottle cap from an Anchor Steam bottle. I must have smelled it for days. It was such a facsinating smell to me. This was when I was about 7 or 8 years old. Ahhhh, good old memories. Too bad it took me almost 20 years from then to try my first. (976 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -1.8%

A staple beer that I will never turn down. Coined by NOFX in a song:

Our protagonist named Bill
Sets his sights on an anchor steam pint
All he needs is thirteen quarters
Congregated in his hat...

It smells earthy and a little bit stale, but after tasting it and enjoying the bread and butter mouthfeel, you can forgive the scent. It is perfect for a cooldown after an autumn bbq. I really love this stuff. Best on Tap at an Old Chicago with a slice of pepperoni pizza. (477 characters)

4.15/5  rDev +7.8%

Interesting style... it sort of combines the clarity and hoppiness of a lager with the head and maltiness of an ale. Pours a clear brown with a big foamy head which looks very good. Smell was nutty and hoppy. Taste was a sort of "This is a lager?" taste, nutty, with some roasted malts and a nice hoppy finish. This is a very interesting beer, sort of having multiple personalities. (382 characters)

4.1/5  rDev +6.5%

This is the second time I've tried a stubby bottle of Anchor Steam, the first time was at a restaurant in Los Angeles.

Pours a hazy copper/apple juice color with a messy head quickly dissapates except for a few patchy circles floating about and a ring of lacing.

Tastes bready, with some hints of lemon and malt. Creamy, mouthfeel after the initial carbonation kick subsides. Highly drinkable, goes down very easily. A quality American classic. (451 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

apearance is a hazy copper with glints of red along the edges. medium head that didn't last all too long, nearly no lacing, but that could be due to the fact i'm drinking this in a brandy snifter.

aroma is quite sweet, with nothing i can put my finger on exactly showing up. nose is thick, and has almost a bit of copper smell; not in a bad metallic kind of way, but, something that complements the colour.

flavourful, nice malts with a pinch of hops. once again, i can't pin anything down in the flavour, except for a bit of caramel when it is rather warm. the taste reminds me a lot of an oktoberfest.

Fine beer, unique certainly (to what i have had), and better than I was expecting. Try it if you have not yet. (723 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -7%

Paid $1.49 for a single...

The beer poured a hazy amber colored base with a large white fluffy head, nice retention and moderate lacing. The aroma was very floral with unique tones...

The taste was alright, it tasted a little fruity with those floral tones. The mouthfeel isn't all that great, it's nice on the palette but the aftertaste isn't to my liking. The drinkability is solid, I could drink this as a session beer but wouldn't necessarily like it.

Final Thought: Not as good as I expected, however I will drink this on occasion, buying it as a single, primarily for the beers' unique aspect. (608 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +0.8%

I hadn't had this in quite awhile, with all of the other more recent micros now out there. This is still an outstanding beer. It is a hazy, somewhat amber color. The aroma is somewhat floral with hop notes. The taste is slightly sour. Nice blance of malts and hops. One of the originals is still one of the best. (312 characters)

3.38/5  rDev -12.2%

I've had this stuff before from a keg (didn't review) and remembered it being excellent. That being, said, I had high hopes for this beer but was kind of let down. Here we go.
Appears light applejuice color, very bubbly with a poofy little head that vanishes pretty quickly. I can barely smell this beer... perhaps a little fruity/grapey scent in there though. This beer tastes bitter at first, and has a unique flavor. Tastes and feels like champagne actually. Definately white grape flavor present. The drinkability is brought down a bit by the fact that the beer is so bubbly.
All in all this is fairly good beer. It's definately unique, which I really enjoy and respect in general, but maybe it's just not my style. (722 characters)

3.68/5  rDev -4.4%

My brother has always raved about this brew. Spying that it was on sale for $6.29 at Albertsons recently (And normally in the $8-$9 range), I thought I would pick up some for the Cardinals-Saints pre-game tailgate.
Poured as an amber color with a nice head that lasted awhile. My nose detected a hint of floral hops, otherwise there was nothing notable. Taste was nicely balanced between a hint of caramel with a light dry hop finish. Mouthfeel resulted in a nice clean finish. This is an extremely drinkable beer but one that is unremarkable in my book and not worth the normal high price tag commanded by this "macro micro". (627 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Note: My first review of the style, and actually my first time trying any micro from the US.

Nice caramel type color with a creamy head. Good hoppy taste, but oddly enough I'm even more drawn to it based on the appearance of the beer itself than the taste. Plus, very pretty packaging. Nice above average beer. (313 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -5.7%

Good-looking amber body with nice carbonation and finely laced 2 inches head, medium-lasting. Piny hops aroma with notes of perfumey caramel. Nice malt development in mouth, good balance. I like it more with every sips. It remains very light though with resin hoppy profile bringing a light bitterness. Well done and indeed got the lager light and refreshing smooth body which I liked. (385 characters)

3.83/5  rDev -0.5%

Very bright copper. Lumpy head recedes to a thin lumpy layer. Lacing is spotty but evident. The head really makes this beer look great.

Slightly malt smell but mostly resiny hops.

Slightly sweet and then turns bitter. A hint of carmel in the aftertaste. Very clean taste.

Bubbly feel. Light-medium body.

For me, this is an example of the sum of the parts doesn't quite add up to the whole. I can appreciate this beer in each area but I just don't love it or even like it a lot. I just like it a little. (514 characters)

Anchor Steam Beer from Anchor Brewing Company