Anchor Steam Beer - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Steam BeerAnchor Steam Beer

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

California Common / Steam Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Anchor Steam Beer Alström Bros
ectomorph

Tennessee

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

12oz bottle, no best by date.

A - Clear copper with a thick of white head that is just staring at me...

S - I noticed the malts 1st, almost caramel. Hops biterness barely noticed at the end. Sweet overall on the 2nd whiff.

T - This is the 1st of this style for me. I taste a honey and sweet darkness. I'm not used to hops on the end only. I like the separation here.

M - The head is still there and the body of this brew is balanced and easy.

D - I could pair this with any BBQ and great summertime sessions. The diamond of this mixed 6...

08-22-2008 21:50:21 | More by ectomorph
OtherShoe2

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

Pours a nice deep copper with a dense frothy head that left decent lacing.

Good malt aroma with some brown sugar characteristics.

Tastes of toasted grain, a little citrus rind, and very firm hop bitterness.

A very very drinkable beer. A fantastic standard and no-fail fallback. It is actually hard not to grab a 6 of these.

08-22-2008 01:59:30 | More by OtherShoe2
adamette

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

Poured from 12 ounce brown bottle into clear glass.

A clean amber, brown body actually very much like the color of the bottle. one finger head dissipated in about 60 seconds.

S minimal barley, not much hops smell.

T Barley taste with little hops persists to the taste. I can already tell that this is very drinkable. Taste is really of and pertaining to Barley. I feel like I am drinking liquid barley.

M Good, smooth, moderate mouthfeel.

D Excellent, as predicted above.

Notes: My impression is that if you stumbled upon this in San Fran (on tap) that it would be a great find (along with the ambience and what not). A good drinking beer and a great alternative to mass market beers for sure.

08-21-2008 02:12:37 | More by adamette
jake87

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

L. Amber redin color with a two finger off-white head and moderate lacing
S. very faint, but mild sweetness with hops
T. starts off with a hoppy bitterness followed by light maltiness and fruitiness
F. Good carbonation and moderate body followed by a near sticky feel

A very nice beer, I wish I hadn't had those others before it though

08-18-2008 23:24:31 | More by jake87
roadhouse

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Can't believe I haven't tried this one yet. Finally picked up a single today. Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Appears a very nice looking clear amber color with very lively sparkling carbonation that produces a big three finger off-white head brimming over the top of the pint glass. Leaves a fair amount of lacing on the side of the glass.

Aroma is almost non-existent, very faint hints of caramel malts and herbal/earthy hops.

Taste is full of toasty flavors with some caramel malt. Earthy hops come out strongly on the finish with a good amount of bitterness and almost have a very slight minty flavor.

Mouthfeel is medium-light and insanely smooth, I love the hyrbid ale/lager thing.

I had no idea what to expect from this beer but it's really quite good. It might be the color, but for some reason this beer reminds me of autumn. I could see this being very sessionable this coming season.

08-18-2008 21:23:49 | More by roadhouse
denflyr

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

I have to admit a sin...

As much as I like craft beer, I have never had this beer up till this point. I wish I had had it earlier!!!

Overall a very drinkable beer.

Poured out an amber color in a pilsner glass. Not much of a head or lacing.

Nice flavors and a good mouthfeel. Not much of a hop character. A solid malt backbone, but not in a sweet way.

Reminded me a Alaskan Amber which is one of my favorites. So I will be getting more Anchor Steam. A solid beer that is a great drink on a hot Houston afternoon!

08-18-2008 00:54:59 | More by denflyr
smcolw

3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

Clear and solidly amber. Moderate chaulky white head with good lasting power.

Good caramel notes in the nose. Light background hoppy aromas.

Much more bitter than the aroma suggests. It's not an IPA but the hop bite is quick to show and long to fade, even after the swallow. Still, I'd describe this as a well-balanced beer with lots of astringent malt background. Good body and slightly high carbonation.

If I were blindfolded, I'd presume this to be a typical APA. I imagine the uninitiated wouldn't realize that they were drinking the most original of American beers--the first of our own.

08-10-2008 21:00:07 | More by smcolw
youngleo

3.35/5  rDev -13.2%

Poured to a good head that lasted a while. Head was slightly off white. Also had some lacing. Poured gold in color. Smelled very light. Maybe a little malt. Tasted very light also. Some citrus and hops. Then again very light tasting. Had a slightly bitter aftertaste. Felt good in the mouth. I thought maybe a little too much carbonation. I will buy these again on occasion. I just wouldnt want to make this a session beer.

08-08-2008 18:27:59 | More by youngleo
HoppyMcStout

Missouri

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

This was my first steam brew ever. It had a pleasing dark golden hue to it. The taste was clearly lagerish as it should be, but without a doubt had a leg up on your standard lager. It had a healthy kick of hops and finished rather clean. Not a bad beer.

08-06-2008 01:42:31 | More by HoppyMcStout
marcpal

4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

How have I not reviewed this before- a tremendous standy beer. One that led me to the craft brew scene on tap in SF many years back.

A: Darck gold with active carbonation and a fluffy white head.

N: Loads of dough, caramel and cheerios.

T: A nice spice up front with the sweet sugary caramel quickly following. You catch the hop presence that rounds this out to near perfection. Crap, this is good. Nice pine flavor.

M: Full and chewy, bready and the spices are constant.

D: Ultimate drinkability- not like the BMC commercials claim. This is a beautifully crafted beer and perfect for summer and a long session.

An absolute fridge staple.

08-03-2008 23:20:41 | More by marcpal
flexabull

4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Pours a nice clear and bright gold color, with a nice white head.

Aromas are doughy, spicy, and of cereal like grains.

Taste is spicy, yeasty, and of bread dough. There are flavors of creamy, sweet malts, and some brewed tea. Finish is crisp and a bit dry, with a slight pine like hop flavor.

Mouthfeel is nice and full, very well carbonated too.

Drinkability is very good. Anchor Steam is a classic tasty and very sessionable beer. Everytime I get some, I wonder why I don't grab this beer more often. Very good stuff.

08-03-2008 19:19:42 | More by flexabull
kinger

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

Didn't know what to expect when I bought this therefore I had no expectations. Pours a nice orange/amber with a creamy head that sticks around for the duration. Minimal lacing clings to the glass and a slow but steady stream of carbonation is present. This beer is extremely aromatic primarily consisting of sweet malts. The aroma is absolutely wonderful. The taste is very malty, sweet, and even a bit hoppy. There is a good balance present in this beer and makes for an enjoyable experience. The more I try this the more I like it. Creamy and full on the palate with a smooth finish. Overall this is a great beer that I could easily enjoy in any setting.

07-31-2008 18:23:52 | More by kinger
JRed

3.63/5  rDev -6%

Anchor Steam beer is an amber, mahogany syrup in a glass. The smell isn't that strong but satisfying. The taste is one of malty, grain, and vegetables. But kids don't beware, it still tastes great. Carbonation attacks the tongue but the aftertaste is where the goodness lies and where you can tell much about a beer. This brew has a deep, mahogany taste that can satisfy the drinker that is looking for an "in between" lager and porter beer. This beer is a great Fall season beer that equips you for making the transition between light, sweet brews and bitter, heavy ones.

07-30-2008 06:04:53 | More by JRed
jordoo

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

22oz bottle poored into a pint glass.

Its an amber/orange color with a very nice looking 3 fingered electric white head. Left minimul lacing. Smell light, some citrus zest and carmel hint sto go with a little spicey hop and bready malt. Taste has a nice bitterness and decent malt backdrop. The mouth feel could be a little heavier for me its med/light. Very drinkable and overall refreshing beer. Its easy to see why its been around for so long.

07-29-2008 16:28:06 | More by jordoo
BeardedBoffin

New Mexico

4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

The beer pours from the bottle an amber-copper color with a big off-white head head. A pleasant aroma consisting of fruity, caramel, malt character with a slight whiff of hops. The bitterness of the attacks the palate quickly but then retreats allowing the malt to come through with caramel, fruit and a bit of sugar. The beer leaves the palate dry with lingering bitterness. This is a good classic beer. Definitely worth a try.

07-28-2008 21:51:50 | More by BeardedBoffin
MrHurmateeowish

Maine

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

12oz brown bottle from The Lighthouse in Manchester. Pours a translucent amber-red with a thin off-white head. Smells malty, with nuttiness, fruitiness, and caramel. Tastes sweet and fruity, with caramel, biscuit, nut. Somewhat aqueous with effervescent carbonation making this one a super-drinkable refreshing beer. A classic for sure and for good reason. Unfortunately, at the current price on the other side of the country from the brewery, this will only be an occasional treat.

07-25-2008 23:43:58 | More by MrHurmateeowish
yemenmocha

Arizona

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

Translucent amber with generous white head. Nose is hop citrus (lemon), and very metallic. Overall, a malt focus on the palate, with caramel, very smooth body, and the hops have a dry, grass/earth character that is what reminds me of this beer every time. Finish is dry, crisp, refreshing. Drinkability is over the top!

07-25-2008 23:04:45 | More by yemenmocha
Atlas1

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

My first steam beer review. But by no means my first steam beer.

Poured into my DFH barrel pint glass, the Anchor Steam is a nice enough looking bronze/amber color, with a healthy head on top with good staying power. Little to no lace as the beer recedes. The nose is muted for the most part, but I do detect some earthen dirt scents. They fuse with floral notes and some grassy scents as well. Taste is good. Carbonated fiz with a light caramel flavoring. Earthen, like the aroma, but fruitier. Noticeably faint hop content. Mouthfeel is bubbly, but appropriately lager-ish. Does that last sentence even make sense?

A solid beer, the Anchor Steam. I've always been a fan. It's not fancy, and doesn't hit you over the head or anything, but it's a consistently fine beer. I'd say this sets the bar for steam beer, but it's the only one of the style I've ever had. Still, it's a fine example of an under-used brew, in my opinion. A great session beer too, at 4.9% ABV.

07-23-2008 22:46:42 | More by Atlas1
wl0307

United Kingdom (England)

3.4/5  rDev -11.9%

BB July 2009, served lightly chilled in a pilsner glass.

A: pours an ultra-elegant bright blood-orangey tawny hue, on top of a fast dissipating white foam and lively (but not fierce) carbonation.
S: very malty and caramely upfront, with a sticky and raw-ish edge of plum jam as well as sugar-cane-like aroma. Not complex, a bit sweet on the balance.
T: the bitter-sweet caramalts and burned sugar-cane upfront are underlined by a touch of coconut-shaving, light prune-ish fruits and sweet herbs, leading fast towards an intensifying bitter aftertaste full of tea-leafy hops and chewy, powdery bitter elements. The finish is IMO the best moment of the tasting, that it's chewy, bitter, and yet free from any residual sugary mouthfeel.
M&D: compared with the draught version, the bottled one fares slightly lower due to the slightly more coarse fizziness and also a thinner body, but the trademark flavour profile stays intact. A bitter-sweet session beer designed to quaff!

07-23-2008 16:56:37 | More by wl0307
laituegonflable

Australia

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a slightly orange golden hue with a thin beige head that retains its shape well. Fast carbonation. Like, it's FAST. Decent, but not mind-blowing.

Interesting nose. I can't quite put my finger on it. There's a sweetness, kind of a sweet pastry smell to it. It's subtle and underplayed and yet full-bodied. There's quite a pleasant, almost buttery character on the nose. Almost some kind of deep plummy jam as well? Wow, it's certainly unique.

That sweetness continues on the palate and has a back palate similar to a mild English ale but it's sweet and almost like a waffle or something. Maybe it's because I'd always imagined a steam beer would taste like a waffle for some reason. The palate kind of folds over and well, I don't know. It's unique. Lots to like though, and yeah, I quite enjoy drinking this. Pleasant and unique. Smooth and velvety mouthfeel.

07-23-2008 06:53:57 | More by laituegonflable
Kyle987

Classic golden brown/amber color, and a good head that stuck around. Slightly hoppy, maybe with a hint of toast or nut. Also a pleasant dry bite with very slight bitterness. Aroma is very fresh and pleasant, reminds me a little of an ESB. Mouthfeel is slightly dry and full, but not heavy.

07-21-2008 03:12:05 | More by Kyle987
lacqueredmouse

Australia

Thanks to my girlfriend for bringing this back from the States for me.

Nice dark orange, tending-to-amber body with a tightly packed head of off-white foam. Lots of streaming carbonation. Excellent lacing. Nice looking beer.

Odd toffee characters on the nose, hints of grain bread and molasses. Even an odd tang reminiscent of sea-water. Or am I imagining that from the Anchor imagery?

On the palate, it's quite unlike anything I've tried. The taste profile's just warped. Light, frothy kind of bitterness first up, then a subtle, smooth, vaguely sweet honey character, and finally, a grassy fresh fragrant flavour. Finish is quite dry and with a residual pleasant bitterness. Really even a vague seafood character lurking at the back, which I swear I'm not making up, like fresh mussels or pipis. It's quite unlike anything I've had before, but it's the sort of beer I can imagine starting to crave after a while, just because it's so unique.

Really pleasant, very drinkable beer. It's the sort of beer that makes its way by pure quality, not by being something extreme. Next time I myself am in San Francisco I'll be picking up a couple more of these for sure...

07-20-2008 07:25:12 | More by lacqueredmouse
fitzy84

3.13/5  rDev -18.9%

The beer settled with a murky amber appearance and a generally thin, but creamy head. I sensed a slice spice ingredient to the beer but generally had fruity and hoppy characteristics. Taste had a mostly bitter punch to it with a slightly sweet aftertaste. Not enough to call it a balanced bitter-sweetness. I enjoyed the carbonation the most as the mouthfeel made this really refreshing and light. Overall, a decent beer.

07-19-2008 17:51:43 | More by fitzy84
bluegrassbrew

Georgia

From a 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a very clear amber with a nice white frothy head.

Smell is a hint of caramel malt and just a tad bitter.

Taste is unique. This style has the hoppiness of a big pale ale along with a nice malt balance. Very lager like in cripness but still fruity like an ale.

Easily drinkable on a hot summer day or anytime.

Overall, this is a very tasty beer. Takes the best of a lager and adds some of the goodness of an ale.

07-18-2008 02:53:19 | More by bluegrassbrew
KBomb

Great color of gold and amber, rich creamy head. Aroma is bursting of sweet caramel malts--its almost like what a malt liquor should smell like but good. Anchor steam has that sweet toasty caramel maltiness all through each sip, somewhere in the middle is a hint of fruit (berry?) a whiff of mustiness, and a bitter hop bite at the end (a little earth and pine to the hops). Mouthfeel is moderately dry, and not a heavy beer at all. Fairly easy drinking.

Something is strangely likeable about this beer that I can't quite articulate. I crave it when making pizza. Makes for nice summer drinking as well.

07-17-2008 00:46:38 | More by KBomb