Anchor Steam Beer - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Steam BeerAnchor Steam Beer

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

California Common / Steam Beer |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,234 | Reviews: 1,922

4.97/5  rDev +29.1%

Simply put; the very best of the best. Expensive, but worth it. My general everyday beer. Great creamy head. Smooth as a payne of glass!

Generally drink in bottles. My package store keeps on hand for me. $8.99/rack. Trying to find in a restaurant/bar on the East Coast? GOOD LUCK! Seved on tap at Jivelli's in Maverick Square in East Boston -the only place I have ever been in East of California that has it. Anybody know of another place? Temendous as a session brew.

4.92/5  rDev +27.8%

4.88/5  rDev +26.8%

Apperance-copper/amberish very clear and clean. Creamy head that lasts
Aroma-malty, raisins, sweet.
Taste-malty, sweet, toasty, caramelly, hop bitterness comes through after you swallow,
Mouthfeel-smooth mild carbonation
Overall- first tasting of this style, will definitely drink some more!

Cheers!

4.88/5  rDev +26.8%

Certainly the best American beer I ever had. An incomparable one. It came on a hot sunny afternoon and made my day - hazy and crisp, hoppy and smooth, all in one. Fantastic drink, I wish it would be exported more widely. Anchor Steam can easily beat dozens of European premium lagers. But if San Franciscan brewers decide not to expand production for quality reasons, I can understand. Miss this beer, really.

4.88/5  rDev +26.8%

classic of classics.. can't believe I haven't reviewed this yet. bought and drank in Cambridge, MA, December 2009.

The ratings pretty much tell all - California Common is generally not a style I would frequent, but it fills an excellent gap in times of need. and this, well.. i'm not sure I could ask for more.

pours a crystal clear golden-amber, bubbles continue to rise and thick foam STAYS very well throughout my drinking experience. great lace.

smell is difficult to describe - very unique and strong, not too deep, but a bit of a musty caramel-toffee.

all the crispness of a summer lager, while maintaining a great snap of light fruits and a nice little hop bite. not getting much of citrus on the hops, but a nice earthy and green flavor, very well balanced, awesome.

In terms of mouthfeel I couldn't ask for more - thick and smooth, yet just thin enough to go down perfect and refreshing,

crisp at the end but not overly biting, aftertaste lingers for just a bit, inviting another taste, and at 4.9%, this is a session if ever there was one.

again, not necessarily my favorite style, but when it comes down to it.. I don't think there's much that could improve this beer. excellent work.

4.86/5  rDev +26.2%

Appearance:
Amber color, clear. Lots of fine bubble rising up. Thick rocky head.

Aroma:
Sweet malts, some caramel, faint fruitiness.

Taste:
Bready, caramel, toasted, grassy. Some fruitiness. Hop bitterness is medium, mainly spicy-herbal, a little citrus. Sharp finish, yet very clean. Body is medium, crisp, smooth, semi-dry, well carbonated.

Overall:
One of my all time favorite beer!

4.85/5  rDev +26%

Definitely one I can add to my list of a good drinking and everyday beer. Nothing in this beer is too overwhelming to not be able to drink it regularly :) I had it in the bottle it came in and it had been in the refrigerator for a day or so. I've not had anything else from the brewer, but if this has anything to say about them then I'm looking forward to my next experience. Yep an experience.

I've adding another review of this beer below...this was my second tasting and review.

Yet another one of my favorite beers. I read a lot on Beer Advocate before I decide to buy a beer and this is one of those I've wanted to try for quite some time and finally purchased. It was in a bottle and I chilled it slightly because it was somewhat warm. Poured into a goblet. Much darker, golden color and nice off-white head. I get a nice hint of red-raspberries and strawberries. It goes down extremely well and is a good beer to have anytime. I would recommend this to anyone wanting a good beer.

4.85/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

A great tasting beer. Well balanced.

4.84/5  rDev +25.7%

A-1/2" white head subsiding to thin lacing. Brilliantly clear light amber to light copper color

S-Very woody and minty! Large nose of Northern Brewer hops. Some sweet and malty character as well

T-Really interesting, like crossing an APA with a helles lager. Citrus bitterness up front with a hefty toast malt character to balance. Minty floral finish.

M-Medium bodied, light carbonation. Medium dry and quite smooth.

O-Wow! This beer was a very pleasant surprise, had never thought this style sounded very appealing, but it was a wonderful session beer. Love the minty northern brewer hop character. Smooth, flavorful and balanced!

4.84/5  rDev +25.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

From a bottle with a Braille like code 3MN, twelve ounces.

Has a Brady malt aroma. Pours deep amber with a nice beige head. The head lasts about a minute with moderate spotty lacing on the glass. The taste is Brady, slightly fruity. It is crisp not overly carbonated. Very nice, should be even better on a hot summers day!

4.83/5  rDev +25.5%

a: crystal clear. amber. perfect fluffy white head
s: barley, slight citrus, earthy. makes me want to drink more of them! slight hint of caramel?
t: well balanced. caramelly malt and the perfect amount of hoppy bitterness at the end. I barely tasted the alcohol
m: medium body, slightly carbonated. really not much to say here
d: I have no idea what the ABV on this beer is, but I know that this is a beer that I wish was commonly on tap at my local bars!

4.83/5  rDev +25.5%

I don't know that Anchor Steam is one of the best beers made in the US today, but it is the seminal and definitive beer in this style, and any other California common or steam beer lives in its long shadow. Hence my scores.

A: Copper with a large fizzy head with high sturdiness.

S: Minty and woody. Exactly what I expect from this beer and, in turn, style.

T: The start is soft with a strong flavor of honey and is followed by a slightly bitter, dry, and bready finish. The minty hop presence carries through the flavor and adds a nice, refreshing zing.

M: Very soft and smooth. Medium bodied with good length and an ongoing emergence of flavors.

D: Top notch. This is a great session beer for any time of year.

There are more ambitious beers on the American market, and there are lots of other good, innovative steam beers too, but this is a classic and one that never dissapoints. Highly recommended.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Anchor Steam Beer from Anchor Brewing Company