2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Anchor Steam Beer - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Steam BeerAnchor Steam Beer

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

California Common / Steam Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2001)
View: Beers (21) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Anchor Steam Beer Alström Bros
Ratings: 4,101 | Reviews: 1,817 | Show All Ratings:
Teeter

12.oz into tulip glass.

A-Pours copper in color with a thick ivory head (about an inch and a half thich). Nice head retention and great clarity. I can't believe the texture for this clear of a beer, not at all what I expected.

S-malty, grainy, earthy, bready yet clean if that makes sense.

T-acidy and bitter with a little sweetness in the after taste.Floral hops and once again bready and earthy.

M-carbonation and a little tangy.

D-if it is given to me I would drink it, but won't be looking for it again myself. I guess I would put this in the take it or leave it pile.

05-10-2009 15:50:47 | More by Teeter
Dave1999

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured an amber orange with a huge amount of bubbles at the bottom of the glass.

Smell of citrus,lemons some sweet malts.

Tastes malty a bit sweet not a lot going on.

Mouth feel is quite dry and pretty well carbonated.

This is the first steam beer I've had,it was ok I'd say it was a slightly above average lager.

04-01-2012 03:04:27 | More by Dave1999
Fatehunter

Oregon

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Pint glass, clear copper to orange color. Frothy finger plus of head.
Lager yeast smell, borderline metallic.
Crisp and clean tasting. Dry bitter throughout. Some pear and green apple at the end.
Lighter body, moderate carbonation.
Interesting enough style, not my favorite though.

09-27-2012 00:50:43 | More by Fatehunter
AbePhroman

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

The smell of this brewwasquite malty. It poured into a light amber color into my glass. Very malty flavor as well, also bitter for a beer of this type. The beer was too bland for me. I prefer liberty ale if going with this brewer...at least that has some flavor. However, I would rather drink something from Victory.

11-05-2003 04:47:29 | More by AbePhroman
kimcgolf

Georgia

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

Poured to a golden orange with off-white head that dissipates quickly, with okay lacing. Aroma, while not bad, was nothing real noticeable. Flavor was okay, and this had a decent palate. I did not care for this as much as other Anchor Beers (Old Foghorn and Liberty), but I may have just gotten a bad bottle and may very well try again. This one just didn’t do much for me.

08-11-2006 01:19:31 | More by kimcgolf
beeragent

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

I have to say this is the only steam beer I've been able to find in my area, so my review is only based on this, and not comparable to any other beer.

A - The beer poured a medium amber, forming a small thin head, that quickly faded, leaving no lace on the glass.

S - The aroma is light, mainly consisting of fruit notes, and maybe a little malt. The aroma is weak, so thats all I could really detect.

T - The taste is not like any other beer I've experienced. Light hops at first, followed by a little malt in the middle, and finnishing with a dry sour taste.

M - The mouthfeel is medium, with a rough finish.

Overall, I dont think I could drink more than one of these at a time. Not having experienced this style, I cant really say if its a bad example, or a good one. I'll have to try the style more, before I can say if I like it or not. Congrats to Anchor though, for going the creative mile!

02-08-2007 03:56:55 | More by beeragent
Dubbercody

Washington

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

It's a good beer, yeah, time to review the stuff that usually gets passed over because it's good, solid brew, but not one that I would not normally pick up a sixer of, but you know it's on tap at my favorite BBQ restaurant.

Copper, white head,sightly tart first taste that pops out into a great malty. Easy to drink, tasty and like I said, a solid great brew.

02-27-2007 02:53:48 | More by Dubbercody
Rsobotka

A: Gold to Dark Brown with a thin foamy head
S: Lots of Malt flavor with a little floral of violet
T: Tasted like a rich malt follwed by a ravish of spicy hop bitterness
M: This, tasty and fun to drink...

D: I could easily drink a 6er of this beer and I hear they open ferment on top of the roofs in SF.

04-11-2008 02:29:23 | More by Rsobotka
Brabander

Netherlands

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

Traded this beer in the Craked Kettle shop in Amsterdam.

This is my first american beer for years. The beer has a rather pleasant smell after opening the bottle and pouring the beer in a (Bavaria) glass.

The beer has a copper color and the head sticks on the glass. First taste is a bit caramel or hop.

Enjoyed the beer really even when this is not my type of beer.

At the end the head began to taste a bit chemical. I have this same problem with Heineken.

Overall a nice and drinkable beer.

11-12-2009 22:33:39 | More by Brabander
foogerd

3.23/5  rDev -16.3%

A- poured a light clear copper with a thick rich bubbly head
S- sweet and malty almost a quietly subdued hop aroma
T- sweet bready malts together with really light pleasant fruit notes, a slight bitterness to the taste nothing offsetting, a pleasant taste although nothing exceptional.
M- carbonation was done nicely here decently thick
D- easily drinkable can go through many of these not saying ill do it again though
I only bought this to try a steam beer cant say ill buy it again its a solid brew really no flaws to it but its really nothing to seek out.

08-19-2010 02:42:49 | More by foogerd
ryanocerus

Iowa

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

The beer poured amber with a thick creamy head and a slightly malty aroma. The first drink left nice lacing, but not a great flavor, in my opinion. I thought it tasted too bitter, which lasted for a while on the tongue. Not one I would seek out, but I would not turn it down either.

07-22-2002 09:54:59 | More by ryanocerus
EagleTalon

Arkansas

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

It either does not travel well (from SFO to Tulsa) or is overrated. It has a typical copper-amber color as most pale ales do and a slight head, as you'd find on an American lager. it is a fairly balanced brew but none of the malt or hop characteristics stand out. it finishes with a lingering bitterness that is expected. I'm wondering if the problem was with me, I'd had this beer before (in the bottle) several years ago in San Francisco and liked it ok, but this was a let-down. I'll try it again on-tap when I know my palate is not compromised.

07-25-2003 13:47:42 | More by EagleTalon
Kookiekwan

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

This beer pours a clear deep amber has a one finger light tan head with excellent retention and a nice coating of lace on the glass afterwards. The aroma is of sweet malt and caramel. The flavor is low in hops at first, earthy roasted malt with a slightly bitter hop finish. This beer seems to be their standard bearer but i'll take their much hoppier Liberty ale over this any day.

12-21-2005 22:47:43 | More by Kookiekwan
dustified1234567

A- Light brown with 3-4 fingers of he

S- Grainy and something else that I couldn't make out

T-A little tart for a beer. Also was harder to taste because of the carbonation.

M-Light not too smooth

D-A little tart and makes your mouth water and your cheeks pucker. Recomend it once

04-25-2006 22:29:20 | More by dustified1234567
Sachsenfreude

Germany

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

appearance; deep brownish yellow and clear with a quality, stiff, yellow-white head, dissipates slowly leaving lots of chunky lace.

smell; sweet malts and herbal hop spice

taste; mildly sweet at first, changing to a very herbal hop bitterness. Finishes strongly with grainy malt sweetness. The bitterness keeps the sweetness from being to intense, similar to raw bread dough.

mouthfeel; watery with poor carbonation. The finish is dry and crisp.

drinkability; easy enough to drink but it sits uncomfortable in my stomach and I don't feel like having another.

11-29-2010 17:46:51 | More by Sachsenfreude
fostachild

Ontario (Canada)

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

best before 7 2012. beauty clear light copper colour. decent head that fades quick.

smell was heavy malt, with some citrus.

taste also malty, citrusy. slight bitterness. good carbonation but found this sort of dull as a whole - much like other times i've tried it. average drinkability.

01-05-2011 05:39:20 | More by fostachild
TheBrewo

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

This brew was served to us from draught at The Distillery in Victor, NY. It arrived in a pint glass and shone a pale golden nut brown color. It held a one finger creamy white head that retained decently, to leave bits of lacing around the glass. There was minimal haze, with no sediment, and a light carbonation noted. The aroma was of sweeter grain. This hid a mild fruitiness, and a rather pronounced licorice note. This sweetness was enhanced by faint esters. Finally, on the back, there was a tomato acidity, acetylaldehyde, and a white wine vinegar to cut the original dextrins. As we sipped, we began with grains and a licorice flavoring, as was present in the nose. This was sickly sweet for a start. The middle exhibited a huge grainy quality, with much of it coming across as cheap-beery adjuncts. Here, too, there was cooling vanilla, and mild phenolic esters. This helped smooth the transition to a bitter end, given by grain and black pepper burns of alcohol. The aftertaste breathed of the malt bill, bitter booze, light bananas, and a spice of booze. The body was medium and the carbonation was medium. The feel was quite hollow, with a steely dryness to it. With each sip came a stickiness, but again, this faded into a drying coininess. The abv was appropriate and the beer drank as more of a sipper, due to the contrast between bitter and sickly sweet throughout the tasting.

Overall, what we enjoyed most about this brew was the look. The coloring was deep, rich, and dark, with a nice frame of a head. Where we lost points was in the adjuncty grain through the middle, which became harsh at times. Despite this, the licorice vibe as a primary source of sweetness was something that kept the drinker interested, and coming back for more.

08-24-2011 16:42:45 | More by TheBrewo
jazzyjeff13

United Kingdom (England)

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

A 355ml bottle with a BB of July 2013. ABV is stated as 4.8%. Picked up some time back from the York Wine & Beer shop. I had this ages ago and remember enjoying it; the story of 19th century West coast brewing that underpins this beer is colourful.

Poured into a tulip pint glass. A deep orange-amber hue with faint haze and light carbonation. Yields a large head of creamy white foam that lasts for a few minutes before reducing to a surface layer. Aroma of caramel malt with earthy yeast esters and stewed hops. Faintly sweet. A hint of cardboard/sherry in the background, along with an alcoholic note.

Tastes of caramel malt with a dry finish. Notes of fruity, earthy yeast esters, stewed hops and a hint of solvent. Faint cardboard and sherry in the background. Dry, with a mild bitterness upon swallowing. Mouthfeel is smooth and tingly, with good body. Could perhaps be a tad more carbonated. Aftertaste of caramel malt and stewed hops.

It's an OK beer, though not amazing. From the stale background notes I'm wondering if this is old, though it's well within date. Decent malt character with an unusual yeast presence (like an English ale). No aromatic hops to be discerned. Goes down easily enough but just isn't that interesting. I wanted to like this more - perhaps I'll have another, fresher one some time.

09-16-2012 21:33:04 | More by jazzyjeff13
beermeright

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

I enjoyed the taste and flavor. Came in a bottle poured it ınto a glass. good color. it was my first west coast beer... had it a while ago while visiting in SF wish I could remember more. I Really liked the bottle. I thought it was fun and creative... had it in a pub somewhere in Ghiradelli square. :)

11-22-2012 18:33:41 | More by beermeright
Jamey61

3.2/5  rDev -17.1%

Served in a bottle poured into pint glass.

App- light caramel in color with a small head which dis not hang around long.

Smell- maybe it was because I am stuffy right now but I did not get much in the way of aroma on this one. Gonna try a few other beers tonight so I will know if I can or can't smell later.

Taste/mouthfeel- I was a little disappointed after first taste. However after sitting here sipping I am beginning to be able to taste it a little better. Again maybe to to stuffy head. Slightly bitter with a little sour mixed in. Enjoying the malty finish with a taste/feel of a cream ale.

I don't think I would go out and pick up a case of this but would be ok with downing a few from time to time.

01-20-2014 01:25:36 | More by Jamey61
BeerManDan

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Although it pours a nice clear yellow, I think don't think that it's an exceptional beer to be rated above average. It is better than your big brewery beers, but an average beer! Tried it about two years ago and thought it tasted better. Will try again later!

10-21-2002 10:57:21 | More by BeerManDan
BeerBelcher

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

I hadn't had this beer in 10 years, and a lots happened to me and the world of beer since then. It is a substantial lager, lightly sweet and heavily malted. Not bad, but hardly an assault on the senses. I'd give it a weak recommendation.

The beer is a pleasing golden amber with decent had that rapidly dissipates. Aroma is lightly sweet and just a bit hoppy. There is very little hoppiness in the flavor, which is rather malty and very sweet which was OK. Mouthfeel is lightly carbonated, smooth, and pleasant.

04-01-2007 21:42:00 | More by BeerBelcher
aubuc1

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle in to a pint glass.

It is a carbonated amber with little head (could have been the half ass bar tender's pour).

Smells of light hop and malt.

Has a hoppy taste, but not aeromatic hops.

Carbonated mouthfeel and easy to drink.

Very boring beer from a great brewery.

06-14-2008 01:10:57 | More by aubuc1
jdhilt

New Hampshire

3.18/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a five finger white head that fades very slowly, leaving a good lace. Crystal clear amber color. Light-medium carbonation and medium bodied. Slight hoppy nose. Flavor is more hops than malt but has some sweetness. Smooth. Light bitter finish. $2.15 for a 12oz bottle from Colonial Spirits Acton, Ma.

03-26-2009 22:30:04 | More by jdhilt
samtrillo

3.16/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A - Light translucent amber with a pretty white head that dissipates.

S - Bready malt with some fruitiness.

T - Dry bread malt followed by earthy tones with some hops, could use more IMO.

M - Medium body with crisp hitting carbonation but not overly carbonated. Dry feeling.

O - I'm a local and have been drinking and enjoying this since before I was a beer snob, however, older and with a more refined palate, this beer is only slightly above average for me. Not saying I wont enjoy more in the future, but Anchor Steam I'm sad to say is mediocre. Anchors other beers are great, though!

04-12-2014 06:30:15 | More by samtrillo