Anchor Steam Beer - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Steam BeerAnchor Steam Beer

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

California Common / Steam Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Anchor Steam Beer Alström Bros
BrooklynPanch

01-21-2014 03:41:32 | More by BrooklynPanch
TerrapinWakenBake

11-18-2012 19:56:55 | More by TerrapinWakenBake
alexknuckles

03-27-2013 00:07:43 | More by alexknuckles
AnIrishCroi

2.08/5  rDev -46.1%

I flew into San Francisco airport and was stuck waiting for my "lost" baggage so I decided to have the amulet beer of northern Cali.

A: Clear, golden amber. LOTS of carbonation. Solid white head with good retention, lacing.

S: Malty, overwhelming yeast - sweet, nutty.

T: This is where I was shocked and disappointed, up to this point it seemed like a promising beer. Heavy malts. Extremely bitter, almost metallic. There wasn't much flavor, more so was just an assault on my tastebuds.

M: Light bodied, in the realm of BMC... leaves palate quickly, leaves mouth dry.

O: I was disappointed with this beer. Tasted incredibly bitter and not refreshing at all. I would put it on par with Bud/Miller but not as neutral.
I'll need to try again because there is no way this beer is as famous and world renowned as it is if it tastes as I had it. I was hoping by being in the hometown it would result in an above par experience but that was not the case.

01-16-2012 01:44:57 | More by AnIrishCroi
AdamBear

2.08/5  rDev -46.1%

A-Amber and bubbly with a thick off white colored head. some lacing

S-has a distinct corn american adjunct lager smell to it. its a weak scent

T-comes in with a strong taste of rice and then transforms in to a really bitter and somehow boozy taste of plastic. The after-taste isn't so bad. It has that barley/corn taste to it. Overall, I am not a fan of this beer. I'm not sure if it is the style or not, but this isn't to my liking...the bitterness is just to odd and strong to be in this beer.

M-strong carbonation but has a light body that reminds me of a BMC drink with a resembling finish as well

D-I'll be honest, this is on the same level as many BMC beers...even the light ones. I don't think I'll ever have another one of these.

02-10-2011 20:24:11 | More by AdamBear
beerkittycat

2.17/5  rDev -43.8%

Note: this beer is waaaay better on tap, especially closer to San Francisco. Having said that, this bottle product's appearance is slightly hazy amber with ruby highlights and a frothy off-white head. Aroma, oh boy, has some issues. Vegetal hits my right away with smells of cook asparagus. Behind that was a decent malt profile of toasted grains and some caramel. No hop aroma. Flavor has some more asparagus, wet paper cardboard, and the same malt profile behind all that such as in the aroma. Medium hop bitterness but barely any trace of Northern Brewer hop which is the highlight of this style. My conclusion is that this was from old stock because the hop aroma and flavor had completely faded and the oxidation, but there are some brewing issues there, too, that produced the vegetal issues. I've had this beer at the brewery and there it was absolutely delicious. Shame that there's packaging issues.

02-05-2009 20:52:42 | More by beerkittycat
mrasskicktastic

2.23/5  rDev -42.2%

A - Slightly hazy copper to auburn with a medium head with no lacing.

S - Caramel malt with a touch of vanilla and some golden delicious apples.

T - Slight smokey sweetness with a hint of apple flavor followed by a very potent, and not so pleasant, hop bitterness that lingers long, far, far, far too long, after I sipped. The aftertaste ruins this beer.

M - Carbonation too high, viscous, slightly refreshing, but the oppressive aftertaste ruins the prospect of true refreshment.

D - Pretty bad. I passed off the second half of my bomber. It just wasn't an enjoyable brew. I don't know about food pairings, I think there might be something with which it would be sucessfully paired, but I cannot envision it (might be the barleywine that I just drank). Sessionable? No. Not at all. It is weak enough for sure, but the aftertaste destroys the prospect of sessioning this beer.

02-09-2006 05:02:04 | More by mrasskicktastic
SometimesIfart

2.24/5  rDev -42%

A - Pours dark gold with a finger and a half of white head. Left no lacing.

S - Sour malt and creamed corn.

T - Predominantly creamed corn, With a bit of the " steamed " character.

M - Medium slightly smoky body with heavy carbonation.

O - Overall, What the hell? Why is their so much praise for this beer? Perhaps I just got a bad bottle, But it tasted like a slightly smoked corona.

02-04-2013 21:22:59 | More by SometimesIfart

Nevada

07-30-2012 01:45:34 | More by ejw127
Sycodrummer

2.28/5  rDev -40.9%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass yielding a small 1/2 finger white head atop a light copper colored beer. The head quickly faded to nothing and no lacing during the sample.

It was hard to detect (or at least come up with a good comparison) to describe the smell. Rather bland with slight malt, but nothing distinquishig it at all.

Taste was bland as well. Slightly bitter and hoppy with some fruitiness as well coming through. Not much to talk about, it lacked any really great taste.

Light to moderate on the palate with ample carbonation.

This beer didn't seem to do it for me. I know Anchor pioneered the style and name "steam beer" which led me to believe this is the ultimate of the style; if so, then this style is not for me. I was left unimpressed, and don't think I'll try it again soon.

06-01-2005 03:20:40 | More by Sycodrummer
vrushing88

2.3/5  rDev -40.4%

Had this beer on tap last night.

It presented with a dark golden color, with a quickly dissipating head.

I could smell mostly yeast in this beer.

The taste was somewhere between an amber lager and an amber ale, which I suppose was fitting for what they wanted.

No real feel to this. It was extremely light, and airy, almost as if it were floating in my mouth.

Overall I am not a fan nor am I impressed. I am not saying this is a bad beer. It just is not something I care for. Being on the east coast, I suppose I'm judging harshly as this is my first steam beer. I do plan to revisit.

I recommend this beer to anyone who would like to try steam-beer.

05-21-2011 17:49:44 | More by vrushing88
MaximalC

2.3/5  rDev -40.4%

Pours translucent copper in color with a creamy off-white head that dissipates in short order. Aroma is mild and wheaty. Vigorous carbonation and a somewhat creamy mouthfeel are nice, but the taste is underwhelming. There's caramel malt and some wheat, a touch of hops... Tastes like beer. What else can I say? The balance isn't bad, but there's nothing in the flavor department that draws me in. The incredible rep that preceded this brew is a mystery to me, and I doubt that I could pick this out of a ineup of generic session beers.

03-17-2012 00:56:30 | More by MaximalC
Schmit

Washington

2.35/5  rDev -39.1%

Drank from the bottle, so I'll just assume that it looks fine. The label is appealing, anyway. Tried it while I was in Berkeley for the weekend since it was local and I couldn't remember seeing it in Tacoma (though now that I'm back, I keep seeing it around).

Anyway, couldn't really smell it in the bottle. It tasted fine, pretty much like any ol' somewhat drinkable lager. At first. There was a hot, lingering aftertaste that must be the weird California heat-loving brewing agents which this stuff has been concocted with.

I'd drink it if it were the only thing on hand, but I don't exactly have high praise for this one.

06-19-2010 06:21:35 | More by Schmit
jvajda

2.35/5  rDev -39.1%

Appearance: Yellow and clearer than I expected. I could mistake this for any number of macros just based on it's appearance.
Smell: Subtle bitterness.
Taste: Very bitter in an unpleasant way. Tastes like it is way past it's prime. I did not like the taste of this beer. Maybe it was from and old keg, but I don't think this is likely based on previous reviews.
Mouthfeel: Pretty standard mouthfeel. Right amount of carbonation.
Drinkabilty: No thanks. This is worth sampling, but the old bitterness make it bad in my book. I will sample this again to make sure I didn't get a skunked one, but I maintain that this beer has a low drinkability.

04-24-2004 06:12:15 | More by jvajda
pong0506

2.36/5  rDev -38.9%

08-20-2014 06:34:03 | More by pong0506
riversider76

2.38/5  rDev -38.3%

I know I'm in the minorty,but I just did not like this beer. For me, it was way to creamy tasting. I thought the head was never going to go away. There has been a lot of hype about this beer,and I guess is was expecting more. It was average at best.

06-21-2005 19:54:01 | More by riversider76
Brunite

2.4/5  rDev -37.8%

A - A nice orange/amber color with a decent head.

S - Nothing noteworthy....a slight adjunct lager smell to it.

T - A rather distinct flavor. Not entirely pleasant. Sort of bitter and sour. Almost a bubblegum funkiness.

M - Decent carbonation....light.

D - Hard to get past the flavor. Perhaps this is the style...but I'm not much of a fan.

02-13-2011 05:21:31 | More by Brunite
rickyleepotts

Arizona

2.4/5  rDev -37.8%

We only have a few more of these "boring" beers in the fridge… and then it's time to go shopping! That is my favorite part, buying new bottles to have in the fridge. Gives me something to look forward to. I like to let Sheryl pick a number to determine the beer we are going to drink. Let me tell you… the beer selection process is pretty crazy!

Anyway, tonight we are drinking a bottle of Anchor Steam Beer from the Anchor Brewing Company. Until tonight, I didn't realize that Anchor owned the trademark on the word "steam". I wonder how that works… I wonder what it costs to buy a trademark. Maybe I should trademark the word "beer"… I'd make millions! Come on people, let's drink.

In the Glass: It has a nice copper color in the glass. It makes me think of those giant cider stills you see in breweries. I call them cider stills because I don't know the correct name for them… but they use them to make cider, I know that much. This beer also provides little head, and a weak lace.

Nose: The nose is pretty boring. Smells like a typical American lager, really. I wonder what makes this a "steam beer"… I mean, I know what makes it a steam beer, but I have never heard of this style before. Maybe because Anchor owns the trademark to the word "steam".

Flavor: The flavor is unexpected. It has some subtle sweetness to it, but then the malts really hit. In the tasting notes they call the mouthfeel "spritzy"… I call it carbonated. It's not overwhelming, though. Provides an easy drinking sensation that reminds me of a polished session beer.

Mouthfeel: There are a lot of bubbles going on here. Not too much, but enough that from my first drink I remember the carbonation.

Aftertaste: The aftertaste, what little aftertaste there is, has a certain malty sweetness to it. The tasting notes said it was lingering… but it's not. It's there and gone again. However, the sweetness stick around and begs for another sip.

Regardless of how they make this beer, I wouldn't consider buying this on a regular basis. I would simply grab a case on the way to the ballgame or pass it around in the parking lot while we tailgate. It's nothing to write home about. I will say, after sparking up a conversation with Anchor Brewing on Twitter, that their porter is one of the best porters on the market. But out of all the Anchor beers I have tried, most of them are middle of the road. Good thing they have that porter to keep me buying their product! Bottoms up, people.

Anchor Steam Beer - The bottle says: "Anchor Steam brand beer is virtually handmade with an exceptional respect for the ancient art of brewing. The deep amber color, thick creamy head, and the rich flavor all testify to our traditional brewing methods. Anchor Steam Beer derives its unusual name from the 19th century when "steam" seems to have been a nickname for beer brewed on the West Coast of American under primitive conditions and without ice. The word "steam" may have referred to the pressure of nature carbonation developing in the beers. Today the brewing methods of those days are a mystery, and for many decades Anchor alone has used the quaint name "steam" for its unique beer. Today Anchor is one of the smallest and most traditional breweries in the world. San Francisco's famous Anchor Steam brand beer is unique, for our brewing process has evolved over many decades and is like no other in the world."

09-20-2012 04:54:16 | More by rickyleepotts