Anchor Steam Beer - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Steam BeerAnchor Steam Beer

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

California Common / Steam Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Anchor Steam Beer Alström Bros
BeerResearcher

3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

12 oz brown bottle. No date.
It pours a pale gold/copper color with a pure white fizzy head.
A light malt aroma rises up then fades quickly. A faint smell of floral hops is noticed.
A light biscuity malt flavor is somewhat lost in the seltzery effervescence.
The light metallic hop bite is also diminished within the Champagne-like spritziness. It's well made but too un-beer-like.
Much different and better on draught!

07-18-2004 05:16:16 | More by BeerResearcher
misterscooter

4.18/5  rDev +8.3%

This beer is a classic. I don't run across it all too often even though it is a local beer but it represents the area well. I came across it again tonight at a reception and when it is available, I always have at least one. Strangely, I usually don't want more than one but it is easy to twist my arm.

Out of the bottle, it has a small, albeit sharp bite. Fairly dry but smooth in your mouth, easy to swallow. The aftertaste lingers but doesn't bother you and seems to invite you to take another pull. I don't recall any specific flavors coming out, which makes me think it is benign but I know there is a lot to it. Perhaps it is the maltiness slightly surrounding the other nuances in it. It is a beer worth taking the time to savor. I should have done that more tonight.

07-13-2004 05:46:44 | More by misterscooter
tjd25

France

3.6/5  rDev -6.7%

The head is dense and regular and faded quickly; the body is of a red amber color. The smell is very malty and reminded me mostly of sweet watery caramel. Almost porto like. A bit yeasty, showing also a fruity character, maybe sweet strawberries. Also a chestnut aspect and a very dry floral note of straw. Interesting. The taste shows caramel but mostly a sweet winy/porto-like fruitiness, oaked and viscuous. Some sweet citrus too. A thick and dry hoppiness reveals a mint and chocolate character. The mouthfeel is quite pronounced, but maybe the accent on the hops is a bit over the top. Maybe a bit too thick to be highly drinkable.

07-12-2004 23:09:22 | More by tjd25
jayb

Iowa

3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

Poured out a nice orangish reddish color with a puffy off-white head. head was chunky in parts and left a fair amount of lacing on the glass. i didnt get much of a smell from this beer, a slight flowery scent with a bit of bitterness maybe. Taste was well balanced. A nice bitter hop bite at the beginning, but got sweeter as it warmed up. finished dry and tasty. A nice brew that is very smooth drinking. this would be a nice beer to have any time of the day. clean, refreshing, and different. Jay enjoyed this one.

07-12-2004 02:57:22 | More by jayb
malthead

3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

Good appearance, dark amber color and big head. No single, overwhelming smell... mostly just clean, dry, a little malt, maybe a little hops. Taste is rather nondescript as well, maybe just a little grain, except for a strange, slightly bitter aftertaste. I like a good bitter, but this is either too bitter or not bitter enough, it just doesn't seem to work for me. However, this is my first of the style, so take that into consideration. Good drinkability, it goes down smoothly, but I just can't say I'd want to buy another one.

07-10-2004 03:39:55 | More by malthead
beerinator

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

Appearance: Reddish Brown. Very clear beer. The head is diminishing and off-white, but there is nice lacing on the glass after each sip.

Aroma: Sweet malt. The smells a slightly bready. There are hints of brown sugar sweetness in the nose.

Taste: Sweet caramel builds to a dry finish. Their is a bit a fruit in the flavors, maybe raisin. The dark sugary flavors from the caramel and the malt help with the mouthfeel.

Notes: This is a solid beer. It doesn't have bold flavors, and it's not high in alcohol so it would be a good style to consume a few of. The mouthfeel is nice and the beer is pleasant to drink.

07-06-2004 20:28:43 | More by beerinator
necoadam

Connecticut

3.53/5  rDev -8.5%

On-tap at Eli Cannon's

Color was copper with a nice amount of carbonation. Smell was quite clean but some of the malts really showed up in the aromas. They were a little bit more rich than the bottle verison. Taste was a little bit of a let down. It focused more on the earthy tones than anything. I was expecting more of a hop/malt combination just like the bottle verison, but it was mostly earth tones. Not bad by any means, but I would of liked to see some more flavors in there.

07-05-2004 17:01:03 | More by necoadam
flaminghomer

Indiana

3.63/5  rDev -6%

i've been waiting to have this beer for a long time. it has a sweetness to it that usually goes along with high abv ales, but this one is under 5%. so i cant figure that out. a little too malty and sweet for me to love it, though i can surely taste that is made of quality beer goodness :) it has a good amount of hops but the malts over power them. the color and appearance are very pleasing.

07-02-2004 05:41:11 | More by flaminghomer
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

This beer was a nice amber color, slightly cloudy, with a low head when I poured it. A good looking brew.

The aroma was of slightly sweet malt, some woodiness, and some depth of hoppiness.

The taste did not disappoint. It was nicely bitter, which lasted long into the aftertaste. It also was smooth and rich. A little thin to the taste, though, so the mouthfeel was a little less than what I expected.

Still, a good beer and one to add to your tasting list when you can find it.

06-25-2004 03:20:05 | More by connecticutpoet
surfmeister

4.22/5  rDev +9.3%

Slightly hazy copper color with firm, fluffy head which later broke into chunks and stuck to the glass, nice lacing. Malty smell, with earthy slightly nutty, uniquely woody undertones. Taste was very much like an amber lager with a hint of fruitiness, consistent with the beers' hybrid nature, very flavorful and complex. Hops were firm but in no way overbearing, nicely balanced. Very easy to drink many of these fine beers.

06-24-2004 22:00:04 | More by surfmeister
donnebaby

3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Poured a clean bronze gold color, and pretty much still in the glass, with a small head that fell to a thinner ring of cream and haze. Smell is light malts, flavorful but not too wild.

Taste was also flavorful caramel malts, with fruity apple notes. Clean finish, scant hops. The mouthfeel was the highlight for me, crisp yet firm soft bubbles.

This beer seemed highly drinkable to me, and great with the chicken gumbo I was eating.

06-22-2004 13:27:44 | More by donnebaby
niknar

Tennessee

4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

Pours out a light copper with an off-white head. It built a good head readily, and eventually settled to about a 1/4 inch thick... still hasn't totally disappeared. Smells somewhat of sweet malt and fruity esters. Better smell than most beers I've reviewed so far. Tastes great! Immediate bitterness, balanced by smooth malt and fruity flavors. Finishes dry with a lingering bitterness...not too much, but enough to let you remember you've had a great beer. Mouthfeel also very good. Just enough carbonation to keep it light, but still feels substantial enough for my dark beer tastes. This is definitely a beer I can drink over and over again... a wonderful offering!

06-19-2004 22:06:33 | More by niknar
JackTheRipper

4.47/5  rDev +15.8%

Let me preface this review by saying that this is the first time I've tried this style, so my review may reflect a more subjective thought process.
A: Pours a nice amber color. Head was initially a big fluffy two inch deal. (I'm drinking it out of my fave beer glass, a Stella Artois glass I got at a bar). Head dissipated quickly, no lacing seen.
S: Heavy malty sweet aroma with some caramel hints. No hop aromas. Smell is quite unique and very pleasing.
T: Nice roasty malt taste right up front. There's something happening here, what it is ain't exactly clear... This beer has a malty flavor I can recognize, but there's something else going on I don't know how to describe other than saying that it's damned tasty. Finish is a sharp sort of twang that doesn't last, there's virtually no aftertaste here.
M: Slick carbonation, medium bodied, with a nicely low ETOH level compared to some of the beers I've been drinking. Two of these won't have you giving your keys to a friend.
D&N: This a beer unlike any other. The taste is familiar, but with something extra that really makes this beer shine. I haven't finished a beer this quickly in a long time, but it's just so tasty that I "reviewed" it in about twenty minutes. Highly recommended.

06-14-2004 06:29:33 | More by JackTheRipper
pheurton

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

earthy brown color of tree bark, with a tight foamy head that is just off-white and hangs around in the form of an ever-present collar. weak aroma of nutty grain and lemony hops. not much there. light to medium body builty on a foundation of steady CO2 bubbles. surprising sharp and earthy flavor that is completely new to me. this beer has a character all of its own, i keep thinking earthy in my mind, but not in a hoppy sense. this flavor dominates, which is followed by a salty/lemony hop bite that is actually quite assertive for a lager. easy to put away a few, once you become friends with the flavors going on here.

on of the boldest lager beers i can think of, unique and full of character. i don't know if i'd always reach for this first, but i think it will always stick out in my mind. another winning original.

06-13-2004 18:04:24 | More by pheurton
TheOtherMike

4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

I do like this beer - but I only get it when I cannot get their Liberty Ale. So I usually find myself drinking it while wishing I had a Liberty, which tends to lessen my opinion of this beer. I should really appreciate what it has to offer:

Nice rich color with a moderate head, a complex taste that says "this is beer, and good beer too". It doesn't try to be anything else other than a very good beer.

06-12-2004 04:09:40 | More by TheOtherMike
Hunter

Arizona

3.7/5  rDev -4.1%

I've always liked the distinctive pot-bellied bottle, label, and blue cap.

Beer pours a nice tan head with good retention. Beer itself is a deep copperry color. Thin traces of carbonation throughout.

Sweet malt, light hops in the nose. As the beer warms it seems to go through a brief phase if unpleasantness before settling into a much nicer hop/spice note.

Hops are more prevalent in the taste but not by much; malt still dominates here. Finishes nicely. And yes, you'll have another.

This is a good one for those new to the microbrew scene to cut their teeth on.

06-12-2004 03:08:59 | More by Hunter
DPMomutant

Missouri

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Pours with a medium-sized creamy head. Pretty good retention there. Some lacing here. The body is a very nice copper color.

The smell is pretty simple to my nose. It's a nice, medium-toasty malty smell. I'm having a tought time getting anything else from it but I like it just the same.

The taste at the beginning is actually a tiny bit sweet. In the middle the malt comes out and I catch some wheat in there too. The end brings some balancing bitterness. A very unique taste, indeed.

The mouthfeel is fairly thick in the body, thicker than you might expect from looking at it. The carbonation is lively but balanced. Smooth finish.

This is easily a good beer for sessions, whether hanging around outside or inside watching the game.

Overall this is a very solid beer and the availability is a very good thing if you're stuck somewhere you can't get much else.

06-11-2004 03:56:34 | More by DPMomutant
meathookjones

3.58/5  rDev -7.3%

Had on tap at the Cactus in Newport News, VA. Came to me in a glass with a nice amber color, but not much head in sight due to its pouring is my guess. A nice clean aroma with malt sweetness and notes of citrus detectable. A light toasted malt flavor is accompanied by a sweet taste and a slight bitterness. Definatly a lot of lager charecteristics to this beer. A little too thin in the mouthfeel and a very smooth drink. It has a slightly unusal flavor the is complex enough to keep you interested and makes for a good summer brew.

06-05-2004 14:45:15 | More by meathookjones
slitherySOB

Ontario (Canada)

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

Hmm, good beer in the Congo. Anchor Steam poured an amber colour, with a big three finger head. After a few minutes, the head went away, just leaving a small amount of foam. Lacing coats the glass like a curtain. Very pleasant. Sweet smell of malt(vienna?), banana, citrus, hop, and more malt. Sweet tasting, with enough of a bite to be satisfying. Little overcarbonated mouthfeel, but that's forgivable. Highly drinkable. A good session beer, and my first beer of this style.

06-04-2004 23:58:06 | More by slitherySOB
HiroProtagonist

Maryland

3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

Anchor Steam Beer was served from a 12 oz. bottle. In a pint glass, the beer was a clear and vibrant orange amber and was topped by an ample white head that left thick sheets of lacing. The nose was crisp yet bready sweet with notes of banana, complemented by a nice resiny/citrus hop bouquet. The taste opened with smooth bready-citrus malts, followed by a spicy-zippy grapefruity bitter transition to a citrus zesty banana-tinged spicy, moderately bittered finish. The body was a little too thin for the flavors and character of the beer, but otherwise was appropriate. Anchor steam was a satisfying and tasty beer, with some uniqueness to add to the interest.

06-02-2004 03:44:36 | More by HiroProtagonist
BeerBuilder

I’ve had this one several times, but I am finally getting around to review it. It pours light copper in color with an off-white head. The aroma is malty with a light hop fruitiness, and a bit of spiciness. The flavor is light in malt and fruit. It is very smooth and easy drinking. It is a really enjoyable, clear beer. This is a beer I would come back to again and again.

Sampled 2/1/04

05-18-2004 19:59:01 | More by BeerBuilder
marcellaproust

Washington

2.83/5  rDev -26.7%

Pours a nice, fluffly head that eventually dissipates into an assertive cloud cover. Amber colored. Smells like basic beer: that Budweiser, Miller, Pabst scent. Starts with a malty (no roast) blank creaminess and ends with plenty of hops. A conversation-enabling beer: pleasant enough to go unnoticed.

05-09-2004 03:08:48 | More by marcellaproust
jsolack

4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

Appearance:
Slightly hazey copper color... nice fluffy off white head that sticks around while you drink the beer. Overall very nice.

Smell:
Carmel and grains with light floral accents. Citrus is in there as well. It's a pretty complex smell. Very intriguing.

Taste:
Very interesting flavor. Slightly bitter and sharp initially but once it leaves the tounge it becomes sweeter and milder. Tasty finish, mildly bitter. Very complex and very good.

Mouthfeel:
Great mouthfeel... coats tounge well and carbonation level is about perfect. Fits the flavor of the beer perfectly.

Drinkability:
This is a great beer. It's unusual flavor sets it apart from other beer. Very easy to drink... Overall it's great.

05-02-2004 23:06:04 | More by jsolack
jvajda

2.35/5  rDev -39.1%

Appearance: Yellow and clearer than I expected. I could mistake this for any number of macros just based on it's appearance.
Smell: Subtle bitterness.
Taste: Very bitter in an unpleasant way. Tastes like it is way past it's prime. I did not like the taste of this beer. Maybe it was from and old keg, but I don't think this is likely based on previous reviews.
Mouthfeel: Pretty standard mouthfeel. Right amount of carbonation.
Drinkabilty: No thanks. This is worth sampling, but the old bitterness make it bad in my book. I will sample this again to make sure I didn't get a skunked one, but I maintain that this beer has a low drinkability.

04-24-2004 06:12:15 | More by jvajda
FormatKid

Tennessee

3.9/5  rDev +1%

I picked this beer up as part of a mixed-single arrangement from Riverside Beverage in Chattanooga. I’ve been wanting to try it a long time but the six-pack price in my area is intimidating if it’s something I’m not sure whether I’ll like it or not.

It pours out a slightly dark shade of translucent amber-orange. A meager head appears less than a fingers breadth after the pour. Small carbonation bubbles abound.

The smell is slightly fruity, and that dense sweet “lagerish” presence is there. A background smell of alcohol is present as well.

The mouthfeel is smooth and creamy yet slick and quaffable, which is the first thing I notice. The flavors interweave across my tongue. The malt flavor leads off, sweet and tangily bready. Sweet fruits flirt with my tastebuds as well, ripe plums, etc. A dry after taste is left and my mouth waters for more.

This beer is unique and it has a beautiful character. I definitely enjoy this brew a lot, the price is pretty steep in my area though. I will definitely have to have a craving for this beer in particular to shell out the $11 for a six pack when compared to many other brews that I enjoy as much. I definitely owe a lot of respect to the history of this beer for helping to kick off the craft beer movement in the U.S. I will definitely drink again.

04-24-2004 05:34:25 | More by FormatKid