Anchor Steam Beer - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Steam BeerAnchor Steam Beer

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

California Common / Steam Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Anchor Steam Beer Alström Bros
4.04/5  rDev +4.7%

Devin_McDevinson, Aug 26, 2014
3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Nice, medium amber-colored beer with a short-lived 1/2" head that stuck to the glass here and there. The light aroma of hops and malt turned into a moderately powerful bitterness on first sip that was nicely balanced by the bready, and even slightly fruity, malt flavors. As the beer warmed up, the fruitiness became more pronounced, but the hop bitterness still dominated. Finished crisp and clean, without a lingering aftertaste. Eminently drinkable, and a great beer with dinner.

uncleozzy, Apr 07, 2005

Kg0mz, Mar 01, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

12.oz into tulip glass.

A-Pours copper in color with a thick ivory head (about an inch and a half thich). Nice head retention and great clarity. I can't believe the texture for this clear of a beer, not at all what I expected.

S-malty, grainy, earthy, bready yet clean if that makes sense.

T-acidy and bitter with a little sweetness in the after taste.Floral hops and once again bready and earthy.

M-carbonation and a little tangy.

D-if it is given to me I would drink it, but won't be looking for it again myself. I guess I would put this in the take it or leave it pile.

Teeter, May 10, 2009
4.45/5  rDev +15.3%

Pours a light amber with a three-finger white fluffy head that lasted about half way. Tons of bubbles race to the top of the glass.

Smells of hops and sweet malt.

Tastes slightly grainy, slightly sweet with a touch of hop flavor and a little bitterness. The finish is a little more bitter. Extremely balanced.

Mouthfeel is slightly thick, but not syrupy. Very full, which is complimented by the high carbonation.

This is possibly the most balanced beer I have ever had. It is a great session beer, but is also satisfying enough to have just one.

fakedelight, Nov 22, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

This is a very tasty beer. After drinking a mix 6 pack of Anchor Brewing Company, this is probably my favorite. Pours a beautiful color- golden orange. Smells sweet and fruity. Tastes balanced and plentiful. Would be a good session beer. I'd buy again if it wasn't for the price.

GregoryShmegory, Sep 16, 2009

zigzag8336, Mar 29, 2014
4.03/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured aggressively into a standard pint glass, apparently too aggressively as indicated by the 5 inches of foam in my glass. I let it settle for a minute and then poured the remainder of the bottle in. Took my first drink just below 45 degrees F, I'd guess.

A: Really classic, awesome looking brew. A not quite white, spongy head on top of the coppery, bubbly beer with a nice touch of red color in the right light.

S: Smell is pretty mild. Earthy, malty, and maybe just a bit of bitter hops. So fresh and so clean, clean.

T: You get a nice malty sweetness right up front, then a mix of hop bitterness and astringency with a really nice, clean, crisp finish. Perhaps just a trace of citrusy sour/bitterness left in the mouth, but not much.

M: Very light, bubbly, yet still very smooth and not watery. Surprised me, pleasantly.

D: Drinkable as hell. This would be a great go-to superbowl or "insert sporting event here" beer to drink all day with some good company. If it were not close to my bedtime I would have kept going.

I got this six-pack as a Christmas gift this year, and had not heard of it until then, so I didn't quite know what to expect. Turned out to be a great gift. Thanks, Tony.

scubasteve04, Jan 13, 2011

fakehat, Feb 15, 2012

bkk4life, Jul 10, 2012

I think this is an overall good beer. The color, head and taste are higher than average. Not only that, the bottle itself is unique. The bottle is cute. This beer tastes a little sweet first, then a little straightly bitter taste late.

Color is darker than more pale amber which looks great. The bottle is dark brown. I think serious beer makers all use brown bottle.

Good head, though not really last long.

Good amount of carbonation; you really can taste it.

dmcbeerington, Aug 30, 2011

J-Swan, Feb 01, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

STEEL1980, Jun 29, 2014
3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

Appearance= A very hazy orange/brown/red. The head was pretty frosty but it dissipated quite quickly
Smell= I didn't much here. A little malt sweetness with some citrusy hops.
Taste= Delicious. It has a good hop character with some spice and lemon. The malt is a bit like caramel and balances the beer out very nicely.
Mouthfeel= Very nice. A good bit of carbonation.
Drinkability= I could definitely put down multiple bottles of this beer in one sitting.

b5d106, Apr 07, 2008
3.9/5  rDev +1%

On tap in a 16 0z US pint glass...

Nice tawny, copper coloring, about one inch of head, light activity in the glass

Taste is bold upfront and is super clean in the finish due to a bitter bite at the end. A bit metallic, similar to an amber lager.

Clam, smooth mouthfeel, very clean crisp finish due to the bitterness

Not a bad beer, could knock a couple back, not a bad session choice. A good beer, would definitely have again

DrewS667, May 26, 2010
3.15/5  rDev -18.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a mug. The color is a transparent amber with a slightly off-white head that appears to have nice density, but it fades quickly, though a decent lace is left after the head does fade.

The smell is initially faint, but eventually light malt, barley, and hops are noticed. A favorable bitterness is also present in the nose.

The barley, malt, and hops are present on the tongue as well, but it does not taste quite as bitter as it smells. The carbonation is light on the tongue, then it is smooth as it goes down.

Notes: This is my first encounter with a beer of this style. it is easy to drink, enjoyable, and would not be a poor choice on a night out with friends. It looks and tastes like a typical American Amber. I'd probably have mistaken it for one if I hadn't any knowledge of it being something else. I wouldn't go out of my way for it, but I wouldn't mind having another.

BFrost, Jan 09, 2011
3.88/5  rDev +0.5%

I enjoy this style beer. I don't see it often enough.

A- Nice carbonation. Reddish amber color.

S- Lager yeast and caramel. I don't detect any hop aroma.

T- Carmelly lager taste.

M- Smooth and delicious.

I've had a few different breweries version of this beer "Steam" or "california common" as some call it. I tend to enjoy the ones that are a little more biscuity and have more hop aroma. This one is a little less of those 2 features but a very enjoyable beer, easy to drink.

kbkayla, Dec 24, 2011