Anchor Steam Beer - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Steam BeerAnchor Steam Beer

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

California Common / Steam Beer |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-08-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Anchor Steam Beer Alström Bros
3.92/5  rDev +1.6%

alex2014, Aug 23, 2014

waige_pilson, Aug 31, 2014

Brohal, Aug 26, 2014
3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

Appearance: Very rich, beautiful amber color. Tight, bubbly head. Nice lacing on the sides of the glass.

Smell: Malty, and little salty. Very pleasant.

Taste: Good taste, but I don't detect much up front. Most of the citrusy hop taste comes at the end of the swallow. I wish there was more flavor in the front.

Mouthfeel: This beer has one of the better mouthfeels around. Very full and comfortable.

Drinkability: I wish it had more flavor, but it's definately easy to put down a few. I'd like to try this on draught sometime. Maybe that will open it up some.

RedLion, May 03, 2005
3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

A
S
T
M
D
...whatever. What you need to know is this: A beautiful golden beer and a nice foamy head that laces the glass throughout. A moderate dose of Norther Brewer hops makes this an unassuming quencher. You are not going to smell anything extraordinary except a clean proprietary yeast doing its job well. Well made and highly quaffable.

HalenRush, May 30, 2009

Homebrewjason, Feb 29, 2012
3.25/5  rDev -15.8%

dolphan39, Jul 12, 2014
3.83/5  rDev -0.8%

Pours a deep amber with a lively head that disappears fast and doesn't lace. Smell's subtle and dry. Hop-dominant and burnt, yet crisp and subtle.

This is not a typical lager, but it's a very beer-y tasting beer, unique in its simplicity. Great session choice if you're in the mood for something dry that's not a hopmonster.

isdash, Oct 28, 2012

Oaktown2017, Jan 15, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +23.1%

Chav27, Apr 26, 2014
3.24/5  rDev -16.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

12oz into a conical pint.
A - Orangey- gold with a hint of chill haze. Not much head, but a decent short-lived lace.

S - BLAND. Not much muchness. But not terrible. A hint of something resembling a respectable beer.

T - Very fruity with wildflowers.

M - Dry fruit and some... thing.

O - Begging forgiveness. Not at all familiar with California Steam beer. This just wasn't bad at all. It's like my opinion of Belgian beers: they just have their own little thing going on. My first impression? Honestly? "So this is what happens when you ale a lager!" Give me another try next summer.

TheVenerableMead, Jul 19, 2014
4.05/5  rDev +4.9%

drewlreynolds, Oct 03, 2014
3.92/5  rDev +1.6%

halfacres05, Oct 31, 2014

geoffgd, Oct 27, 2012
4.4/5  rDev +14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Anchor Steam was one of the first 'other than Bud, Coors and Schlitz' beers I ever had back in the late 70s. I credit it with opening my eyes to what beer can and should be. My stepdad introduced me to it in San Luis Obispo while we downed a few along with some oyster shooters.

This evening I poured my Anchor Steam Beer from its beautifully labeled short-neck bottle into a tall, narrow German glass beer mug and the head was tall and rocky and stayed with the beer almost all the way down.

I too can detect fruit flavors along the line of cantaloupe-rounded flavors-that compliment the carmelized sugars present in the maltiness.

I also taste the perfectly balanced presence of hops, both in bitterness and flavor(ness?)...these flavors seem to be almost painted on to my upper palate and the back of my throat--making these areas feel sort of 'numb'- while the rounded fruit and malt flavors show up on the front half of my tongue.

I find Anchor Steam Beer to be delicious and very well balanced. They've done a great job of combining the classic beer flavors of bitter and sweet and even managed to seperate the places within my mouth where these flavors appear.

When I buy Anchor Steam Beer I feel like I've done something good. Thank you Fritz Maytag and your 'posse' for putting together such a wonderful product and sticking with it.

Nixon, Feb 15, 2009