1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Anchor Small Beer - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Small BeerAnchor Small Beer

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

English Bitter |  3.30% ABV

"We believe you will find Anchor Small Beer delicious--similar to what modern brewers call a "bitter"--and we hope you will also enjoy the idea of reviving an ancient brewing tradition, which is something of great importance. "

"We make our Old Foghorn Barleywine Style Ale from the rich first runnings of an all-malt mash, and Anchor Small Beer is our attempt to duplicate the "small beers" of old by sparging that same mash: sprinkling warm water over the Old Foghorn mash after the first wort has run off, thereby creating a second, lighter brew from the resulting thinner wort. "

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 11-11-2000)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Anchor Small Beer Alström Bros

BillRoth, Oct 21, 2013

HRamz3, Oct 15, 2013

jme015, Sep 11, 2013
3.28/5  rDev +5.5%

It tastes okay. It's like West Coast homebrew. Kind of like Bitterwater. Not great. I'm just talking to use up space now. It wouldn't let me submit my review without posting a comment. I need to get 250 characters. I probably wouldn't pick to have this beer again, but I think people are little too harsh on it.

FPWolff, Aug 30, 2013

EastBay_Nick, Jul 13, 2013
3.25/5  rDev +4.5%

Noyt, Jul 13, 2013
3.03/5  rDev -2.6%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

I had to get rid of the last bottle on the shelf, so I might as well buy it myself. This stuff pours a clear tawny-amber topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises faint old sourdough and what may or may not be a hint grass, depending on whether or not I'm actually just smelling the air outside somehow. The taste pretty much echoes the smell, though now it's just generic barley and generic white bread yeast combining to form the most milquetoast of all possible flavors. I'd knock it, but it's not offensive, just insanely boring and undistinguished. The body is pretty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda crisp finish. Overall, this may be one of the blandest beers outside of the BMC arena. It's not bad, per se, just something I'd likely easily forget that I'd imbibed on any given day, especially if anything else happened that day, beer- or otherwise.

TMoney2591, Jul 09, 2013

Chucker17, May 31, 2013

tadmuchowski, May 25, 2013
2.91/5  rDev -6.4%

From my Untappd history.

A: Poured a tanned-straw color with a fluffy white head. Good start.

S: Didn't get much from this beer, and I thought it was served a bit too cold which made picking up the aromas harder. I could piece out some bready malts which was expected. It wasn't overwhelming though.

T: Your standard run-of-the-mill Bitter without any memorable properties. Again, I blame this on the temp in which it was served. I tried warming it up with my own hands, but that didn't improve the qualities that much.

M: Didn't coat as much as I would have expected. The malt was there, but not as much as I would have liked for a Bitter.

O: Not too memorable. I'd still encourage people to try it to form their own opinions, but I'm a BIG fan of malt characteristics in my beer. This one was off the mark in that department even though it is a Bitter.

JGam115, May 14, 2013

Kegatron, May 14, 2013

mrw1zard, May 13, 2013

LeeG, Apr 25, 2013
2.81/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A - clear pale golden with a respectable off white head that dissipated down to a half finger
S - grainy with a fairly strong astringent metallic aroma
T - very astringent and strong metallic to its detriment, some pale grainy malt, but overall it definitley tastes like this was an afterthought of sorts
M - very light, medium to mild carbonation, with a somewhat off putting chemical like bitterness
O - not something I would buy again, interesting to consider the 'second run' idea but in the end I feel like this was a just an easy/cheap way to put something out that beer geeks would buy once

joemcgrath27, Apr 16, 2013
3.8/5  rDev +22.2%

16.9 or 22oz bottle poured into a large mug

Pours pretty, slightly hazy golden with a big head and lots of carbonation. Smell is smell is adjunct lager. Smells like a hefty Budweiser. Sour and tangy.

Taste is sweet up front, but surprisingly bitter afterward. I'm surprised to find I kind of like this. It tastes very lagery to me, and I don't spend a lot of time drinking lagers. I have trouble identifying exactly what I like about it.

Mouthfeel is light and dry. Overall, I think it's pretty good.

snaotheus, Mar 30, 2013