Anchor Small Beer - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Small BeerAnchor Small Beer

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

English Bitter |  3.30% ABV

"We believe you will find Anchor Small Beer delicious--similar to what modern brewers call a "bitter"--and we hope you will also enjoy the idea of reviving an ancient brewing tradition, which is something of great importance. "

"We make our Old Foghorn Barleywine Style Ale from the rich first runnings of an all-malt mash, and Anchor Small Beer is our attempt to duplicate the "small beers" of old by sparging that same mash: sprinkling warm water over the Old Foghorn mash after the first wort has run off, thereby creating a second, lighter brew from the resulting thinner wort. "

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 11-11-2000)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Anchor Small Beer Alström Bros

3.34/5  rDev +7.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

22oz bottle into a tulip. Pours a crystal clear honey color w/ a nice white head, some good lacing. Looks nice.

Aroma is lightly malty and floral. Crackery pale crystal malt and a mild hop presence.

Taste is fruity and light, lots of toasted grain hits the palate. Some good hoppy bitterness on the finish but the focus here is on the barley. Floral and semi-sweet.

Mouthfeel is crisp and light with a prickly bite. A little thin, to be expected from a 3.3% beer.

Overall an OK session beer. Not one I'd crave very often but a nice change of pace.

3.75/5  rDev +20.2%

3.28/5  rDev +5.1%

It tastes okay. It's like West Coast homebrew. Kind of like Bitterwater. Not great. I'm just talking to use up space now. It wouldn't let me submit my review without posting a comment. I need to get 250 characters. I probably wouldn't pick to have this beer again, but I think people are little too harsh on it.

3.75/5  rDev +20.2%

4.25/5  rDev +36.2%

3.25/5  rDev +4.2%

3.03/5  rDev -2.9%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

I had to get rid of the last bottle on the shelf, so I might as well buy it myself. This stuff pours a clear tawny-amber topped by a finger of lightly off-white foam. The nose comprises faint old sourdough and what may or may not be a hint grass, depending on whether or not I'm actually just smelling the air outside somehow. The taste pretty much echoes the smell, though now it's just generic barley and generic white bread yeast combining to form the most milquetoast of all possible flavors. I'd knock it, but it's not offensive, just insanely boring and undistinguished. The body is pretty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a sorta/kinda crisp finish. Overall, this may be one of the blandest beers outside of the BMC arena. It's not bad, per se, just something I'd likely easily forget that I'd imbibed on any given day, especially if anything else happened that day, beer- or otherwise.

2.91/5  rDev -6.7%

From my Untappd history.

A: Poured a tanned-straw color with a fluffy white head. Good start.

S: Didn't get much from this beer, and I thought it was served a bit too cold which made picking up the aromas harder. I could piece out some bready malts which was expected. It wasn't overwhelming though.

T: Your standard run-of-the-mill Bitter without any memorable properties. Again, I blame this on the temp in which it was served. I tried warming it up with my own hands, but that didn't improve the qualities that much.

M: Didn't coat as much as I would have expected. The malt was there, but not as much as I would have liked for a Bitter.

O: Not too memorable. I'd still encourage people to try it to form their own opinions, but I'm a BIG fan of malt characteristics in my beer. This one was off the mark in that department even though it is a Bitter.

Anchor Small Beer from Anchor Brewing Company