Anchor Small Beer - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Small BeerAnchor Small Beer

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

English Bitter |  3.30% ABV

Beer added by: UnionMade on 11-11-2000

"We believe you will find Anchor Small Beer delicious--similar to what modern brewers call a "bitter"--and we hope you will also enjoy the idea of reviving an ancient brewing tradition, which is something of great importance. "

"We make our Old Foghorn Barleywine Style Ale from the rich first runnings of an all-malt mash, and Anchor Small Beer is our attempt to duplicate the "small beers" of old by sparging that same mash: sprinkling warm water over the Old Foghorn mash after the first wort has run off, thereby creating a second, lighter brew from the resulting thinner wort. "
to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 448 | Reviews: 325

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

2.93/5  rDev -6.4%

From my Untappd history.

A: Poured a tanned-straw color with a fluffy white head. Good start.

S: Didn't get much from this beer, and I thought it was served a bit too cold which made picking up the aromas harder. I could piece out some bready malts which was expected. It wasn't overwhelming though.

T: Your standard run-of-the-mill Bitter without any memorable properties. Again, I blame this on the temp in which it was served. I tried warming it up with my own hands, but that didn't improve the qualities that much.

M: Didn't coat as much as I would have expected. The malt was there, but not as much as I would have liked for a Bitter.

O: Not too memorable. I'd still encourage people to try it to form their own opinions, but I'm a BIG fan of malt characteristics in my beer. This one was off the mark in that department even though it is a Bitter.

3.75/5  rDev +19.8%

2.86/5  rDev -8.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

A - clear pale golden with a respectable off white head that dissipated down to a half finger
S - grainy with a fairly strong astringent metallic aroma
T - very astringent and strong metallic to its detriment, some pale grainy malt, but overall it definitley tastes like this was an afterthought of sorts
M - very light, medium to mild carbonation, with a somewhat off putting chemical like bitterness
O - not something I would buy again, interesting to consider the 'second run' idea but in the end I feel like this was a just an easy/cheap way to put something out that beer geeks would buy once

3.76/5  rDev +20.1%

16.9 or 22oz bottle poured into a large mug

Pours pretty, slightly hazy golden with a big head and lots of carbonation. Smell is smell is adjunct lager. Smells like a hefty Budweiser. Sour and tangy.

Taste is sweet up front, but surprisingly bitter afterward. I'm surprised to find I kind of like this. It tastes very lagery to me, and I don't spend a lot of time drinking lagers. I have trouble identifying exactly what I like about it.

Mouthfeel is light and dry. Overall, I think it's pretty good.

2.5/5  rDev -20.1%

3.29/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a bottle into a snifter, the beer is a bright, crystal clear copper-orange coloring with a thin, white ring of film on the surface. Aromas of roast, toffee, and a subtle, tangy hops presence. Flavors are heavily roasted, with a very bitter, astringent hops character. Very sharp on the initial tongue. The malt backbone literally gets buried amongst the bitter and astringent characteristics. Tangy, roasty aftertaste, with a dry, bitter finish. Very interesting idea behind the beer, but the flavors just don't seem to meld or balance well.

1.5/5  rDev -52.1%

2.75/5  rDev -12.1%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Anchor Small Beer from Anchor Brewing Company