1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Anchor Liberty Ale - Anchor Brewing Company

Anchor Liberty AleAnchor Liberty Ale

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: kbub6f on 11-18-2000)
View: Beers (21) |  Events
Ratings: 2,582 | Reviews: 1,447 | Show All Ratings:
jward

4.38/5  rDev +12%

Anchor Liberty pours a pale orange color with a tight, white head. The nose is rather one-sided, presenting mainly (only?) a piney, hoppy aroma. Both the appearance and smell of this beer are fine, but not especially noteworthy. The taste, however, is quite noteworthy. The hoppiness is complex and strong, but never astringent. I detect elements of lemon zest and grapefruit, with backnotes of sour apple. A solid malt foundation balances out everything quite nicely. The mouthfeel is exceptional -- crisp, bubbly, and clean, setting the stage for a long, dry finish.

This is just a solid beer, a great Pale Ale. (And though it doesn't count toward the the official review marks, I'm also fond of the bottle, which explains that the name 'Liberty Ale' is in celebration of the ride of Paul Revere.)

02-19-2003 16:15:31 | More by jward
AudioGilz

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%

What else to say....super smooth and creamy mouthfeel....perfectly balanced, hoppy, but not too hoppy. This is a wonderful beer. It's very highly drinkable. I like the large bottle it came in, and I definitely would drink another if I had one. The appearance is nicely and cloudy golden orange. I highly recommend this pale ale for sessions.

02-16-2003 20:57:57 | More by AudioGilz
budgood1

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

liberty ale pours out a very bright, albeit very cloudy orange-gold color. lots of "floaties"...an inch thick head reduces to a thin layer with ample lace. aroma of citrusy hops....man does this smell good! the taste surprised me....i was expecting an assault of hops, but what greeted my taste buds was a nicely balanced, full and creamy flavorful brew. a hint of belgian, with lots of toasted and biscuity malts....followed by an understated citrusy hop bitterness. this is the epitome of a restrained but flavorful hopped-up ale. dry hopped for sure, but not obnoxiously so. alcohol undetectable. this is a damn fine brew, lots of complexities without being hit over the head with massive hops. very tasty and highly drinkable.

02-15-2003 16:14:12 | More by budgood1
Admiraldinty

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

Golden amber with a thin head. Very fragrant hoppy, estery aroma. Medium bodied, and crisp, but smooth. Very bitter hoppy tasting with some peach-like hints. Also sweet malt and a touch of honey. This is some good stuff. Something I'll come back to time and time again.

02-11-2003 16:05:52 | More by Admiraldinty
kunzbrew

4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

This brew pours a hazy straw color with a nice white head that last for a little while then reduces to a small head, also a nice lace is left behind. The smell of hops and light pale malts fill the nose. A really nice strong hop flavor with a citrus flavor added. The fruity esters are very elegant. There is a mild hop after taste that is also very nice and well accepted. This is a great beer. Thank you to jebrock for this offering.

Cheers

02-11-2003 13:50:34 | More by kunzbrew
Quaffer

Nevada

3.73/5  rDev -4.6%

Appearance: A reddish-amber beer with a white head. The head was somewhat rocky and dissipated quickly, leaving a little lace on the glass.

Smell: A mixture of clean hoppiness and fruit. Definitely some banana in the aroma, like my fermenter sometimes smells when making ales. Also, a little bit of that biscuit/cracker smell.

Mouthfeel: A little thin and not as smooth as I would have liked it to be.

Taste: There was a dry, refreshing hoppiness to this beer, overlayed with the fruity, banana flavor that was present in the aroma. It finished with a citrus bite.

I have had this beer before, but it was at least five or six years ago. It isn't a bad beer at all, it's just the flavors are not what I would consider to be those of a typical pale ale. For a good pale, I would rather have a Sierra Nevada or a Boulevard. However, the drinkability is great; it is refreshing and I have polished off the whole bottle while typing this! Like I said, it's good, but don't expect a classic pale ale flavor.

02-09-2003 15:28:12 | More by Quaffer
LiquidBreadMan

4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

Aside from the occasional holiday brews, this is the best beer in an all-star line from Anchor Steam. It pours an amber-copper color with an average head. The strong aroma is reminiscent of stone fruit (cherry and peach) and citrus (grapefruit). Liberty Ale provides a middle-of-the-road hops experience, with a nice fruit-caramel balance. Although every brew is technically unique, this one really stands out. Its closest availability is at a liquor store about 40 miles from my home. I don't consider that too far, for Liberty Ale.

02-08-2003 15:35:30 | More by LiquidBreadMan
the42ndtourist

Ontario (Canada)

4.58/5  rDev +17.1%

Pours a slightly amber tinted golden, with a light white head that fades to a thin covering layer. Aroma is interesting, hops evident with light perfumes and a good dose of spicy hops. Taste is also quite interesting. Regardless of reputations, this is my first time trying Liberty Ale, and it leaps out to me as exactly what an APA should be. Flowery hops merely flesh out the spicy hop flavours, with quite a bit of sweetness to keep that all in check. Light (in a good way), refreshing, and ever so good. A fabulous beer, and a permanent fixture at the LCBO, so I have a new option for backup for when I can't find anything new.

02-02-2003 20:40:34 | More by the42ndtourist
Delirium

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Pleasantly patriotic and sea worthy lable greets proudly presenting a sedimentary amber red brew with robust quick forming foamy head which passes truth to found rumour that here, the hop just don't stop. Orange rind, bitter apple, sour-sweet, salty beach sand and evidently all made by hand. San Fransisco must be very proud. Huzzah.

Sour, then sweet. I love how a beer can paradox a common idiom

01-28-2003 19:28:37 | More by Delirium
WVbeergeek

4.43/5  rDev +13.3%

Anchor Brewing delivers quite a beer here. A wonderful representation of an American Pale Ale. Pours a amber light copper orangish hue with a full heaping white head. A great amount of fruit aroma that is unbelieveable. Within in the first sip, the sweetness of the malts dominates the flavor, but a great taste of citrus hop flavor fills the senses balancing this beer perfectly to the likings of my taste buds. I will put it like this, this beer is so fine if it were a woman, I would drink it's bathwater. An great classic taste that is amazingly drinkable.

01-17-2003 18:13:35 | More by WVbeergeek
stcules

Italy

3.03/5  rDev -22.5%

Smell very fruity, (blackberry?, mango?, pear?). Amber colour, light.
At the taste you can feel the hop, that is a little noticeable in the flavour.
It is too dry, not well balanced, too oriented to the bitter. The bitterness is very persistent, but annoying.

01-12-2003 10:45:05 | More by stcules
IrishRedRock

4.25/5  rDev +8.7%

This beer was interesting before I even tasted it. The appearance was quite cloudy, which I did not expect for a pale ale, and the yellow/orange color is quite appealing. The aroma made my mouth water. Plenty of hops to get me excited, and a sweet fruity scent as well.

After sipping this fine brew, I was surprised not to be belted in the taste buds with overpowering hops. They are there but are very subtle. A very fruity taste also accompanied the hops, almost like a peach aftertaste. Mouthfeel is quite smooth and creamy even. This is a very unique, interesting, and delicious beer. I could drink this all night.

01-11-2003 16:52:38 | More by IrishRedRock
francisweizen

Arizona

This is a wonderful, lightly hoppy, APA. This poured a nice amber colour with a decent sized head on it. This smelled of hops, with some nice malts in the background. This tasted great, very akin to a lighter, less hoppier version of SNCA2002. This had a pretty full mouthfeel and a very high drinkability, due to it's very balanced flavor.
An A+ offering from Anchor!

01-10-2003 08:42:31 | More by francisweizen
JohnnyDuvel

4.03/5  rDev +3.1%

I"ve always enjoyed this beer. I feel that Liberty Ale is one of the better balanced US version of the style. Pours a nice, deep golden hue. Prominent head, good retention. Nice lace presence. A very noticeable fruity, citrus taste. I've seen Liberty Ale referred to as the "quintessential micro brew", and I have to agree. This is one of the beers that I buy consistently, but not as often as I used to. Somewhat tame compared to many of it's hoppier counterparts.

01-08-2003 20:23:46 | More by JohnnyDuvel
luvND

4.55/5  rDev +16.4%

Pours a cloudy golden color. Perfect head, thick, white, creamy, invites you to drink it. Aroma is crisp with plenty of hop and some citrus. Taste is absolutely perfect for a session beer, plenty of hop with a smooth malt balance. The mouthfeel is like silk, this stuff just feels good on your tongue. Exceptional drinkability. I would have no problem making this my house ale. It's a nice session beer in winter and would make a great companion to any summer BBQ.

01-06-2003 21:38:21 | More by luvND
OldFrothingSlosh

4.05/5  rDev +3.6%

Another quality offering from the folks at Anchor. A somewhat cloudy, brownish appearance with a citrusy aroma. The white head eventually gave way to just a slight layer of foam. Very pleasing mouthfeel (due to the carbonation?) as well as a flavor that is crisp and would be well-suited to a spicy meal. I have yet to be disappointed by the Anchor beers I have tried and the Liberty Ale certainly deserves a top 50 ranking. A very balanced beer.

01-04-2003 20:42:07 | More by OldFrothingSlosh
Bogie

4.5/5  rDev +15.1%

For some reason I have not drank this beer in over a year and half.
I am not sure why but after drinking a bottle I have determined I was missing a great beer. The color was a slightly cloudy copper.
That not a negative. It produced a nice thick off white head that stayed with the beer. The bubbles were tiny, the kind I expect from a good brew. The aroma was very pleasant. On to the taste.
I had thought this beer would taste like a Strong Pale ale, but it did not. The flavor was subtle, slightly hoppy with a delicate malt that made a nice contrast to the Red Seal and Arrogant Bastard that I like. This taste was consistant from the time I poured until I finished the last drop. I am going to put Liberty Ale on my regular list of beers to buy.

12-20-2002 09:29:18 | More by Bogie
feloniousmonk

4.9/5  rDev +25.3%

I'd seriously underestimated this beer in the past, for my enthusiasm was markedly greater when I sat down to study it, smell it, and appreciate it's complexities. I'll bet I was drinking it out of a bottle in a noisy, smoky bar.
Thick white head, settles soon. Pale orange color. Fresh aroma, incredible fruit! Peaches, apricots, citrus, with perfect integration--nothing stands over or above anything else. Quite mellow and smooth, this is an ideal session beer, not too powerful in hops or alcohol, but one that rewards the attentive. Fritz Maytag and the boys at Anchor are the ultimate craftsmen and this is a perfect product. Everything is so well-formed and pure, it's amazing. Great balance, flavor, everything!

12-10-2002 13:52:19 | More by feloniousmonk
Kwak

4.8/5  rDev +22.8%

Nice rocky head thick good steady foam.

Very aromatic nice hints of citrus.

Nice body stedy carbonation good pale orange color.

The taste is supprisingly light very clean and appetizing a little dry in the finish. Nice and refreshing good on a hot day or to acompany a spicy meal!

12-04-2002 18:38:49 | More by Kwak
aaronh

4.4/5  rDev +12.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Liberty Ale is a hazy, orange tinted amber beer that pours with a solid white head, that slowly dissipates to a thin film of foam. Strong citrus notes in the aroma, with a definite hop spiciness. I can smell hints of the aroma as it sits on my desk. This is a complex beer, with malt, citrus, and peppery flavors intermingling. The finish is heavy on the citrus notes. (I would imagine Cascade hops were used heavily in this beer.) The mouthfeel is very full and solid, as to be expected by the film left by the head. Carbonation is very fine bubbled, which I think helps contribute to the excellent mouthfeel. With the rather clean finish with the citrus aftertaste, I imagine this beer would go great with spicy foods. It's very drinkable, and I wish I had tried this one sooner. Very deserving of it's ranking as one of the top 50 beers. This is a well balanced, refreshing beer.

12-04-2002 13:49:31 | More by aaronh
Shiloh

Ontario (Canada)

4.15/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This Ale is very impressive from the top of its head to the bottom of the glass. A cloudy offering with a nice crown that disapates to a foamy collar and light lace. The body is full, and taste leaning ever so slightly to a hoppy bitterness and there is a taste retention working here that is very pleasing to the palate.

12-03-2002 18:16:23 | More by Shiloh
maxpower

Missouri

Light brown-yellow color, big foamy head that clings to my glass, grainy aroma. Nice balanced malt and hop flavors, smooth and easy drinking, great session beer, as all the Anchor brews.

11-25-2002 07:09:28 | More by maxpower
MJR

Missouri

4.33/5  rDev +10.7%

Appearance: Pours a golden/copper color with a hint of amber. The good-sized head that forms with the pour shrinks down to a clingy, 1/4" cap around the edges.

Smell: Mmmmm......what a great hop aroma. Gotta love the cascade when used right. I pick up on a combination of citrus, pine resin, and floral scents. A touch of grapefruit too. Great nose on this one!

Taste: There is a bit of malt flavor in here, but that's not what Liberty Ale is all about. This beer is a tribute to the cascade hop and, if I do say so myself (and I do!), a damn good one! Nothing but fresh hop flavor...I'd LOVE to grab one of these fresh off the bottling line. I usually like my APA's to knock me over with hops (see: Stone Ruination) but it's easier to knock back more pints of this.

Mouthfeel: Good. A nice, medium feel...not heavy for the style, but not watery. Right in the middle.

Drinkability: Quite high for the style. Like I stated above, it's far easier to drink these all night than something that's going to numb your tastebuds. Yummy...

The original American Pale Ale. If you want near-perfection, and a model/standard to compare to, look no further.

11-22-2002 19:41:57 | More by MJR
mzwolinski

4.68/5  rDev +19.7%

I'm a bit surprised. When I read the label talking about a big hop boquet, and several reviews describing the hoppiness of this beer, I suspected they were a bit dated. It had been a while since I last had this beer, and let's face it, this beer has been around for a *long* time -- 1975! What with all the Ruinations and whatnot which have come out since, I figured any pre, say, 1995 beer which proclaimed itself hoppy should be taken with a grain of salt. But hey. I was wrong. The aroma isn't overwhelming, but it *is* very hoppy and quite nice, with just a hint of malt sweetness to it. And the hop flavor makes itself known throughout the whole mouth. Great use of Cascades lend a nice floral, lemony flavor to the palate, and a oily smoothness to the mouth. Well matched by an underlying malty sweetness with a crisp dry finish. A bit cloudy in appearance from the bottle fermentation, with a light gold color and a thin wispy head. This is a beer that has stood the test of time.

11-22-2002 09:23:57 | More by mzwolinski
JahNoth

This truly is a world class Pale Ale. It looks beautiful in the glass with a nice head. There is a very noticable citrusy character to balance the cascade hops. This beer may look a tad thin, but the malt character is present, and delightful. What's most impressive, though, is that this is a beer that's been around since 1975. It's truly a pleasure to anjoy!

11-17-2002 14:43:01 | More by JahNoth