Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Brekle's Brown - Anchor Brewing Company

Brekle's BrownBrekle's Brown

Anchor Brewing Company visit their website

American Brown Ale |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: largadeer on 03-07-2011

Single hopped with Citra.
2.06/5  rDev -44.2%

not what i was expecting at all.. i think my beer tastes depends on my mood... this was way to hoppy for a brown and fiished with a strong after taste... i didnt really enjoy drinking it... finished it pretty fast to get to the next beer of the night... if you like hops go for it!!

2.09/5  rDev -43.4%

Comes out of the bottle thick- tried agitating it to get some head, but none formed. Next comes a strong- sickly sweet candy smell. Sure enough cloying malty sweetness hits me hard. It feels as syrupy as it looked coming out of the bottle. This is my 3rd time drinking this, and once was as a blind test at my home brewer's meeting. All three times wound up with the same thoughts about cloying syrup. I am sad b/c I generally have great respect for Anchor's beers.

2.39/5  rDev -35.2%

On-tap at Beachwood BBQ

A: The pour is brown in color with a fair amount of amber to it and a finger of off-white head.

S: Smells okay at first, if not a bit on the sweet side. I get some weird fruit notes to it, perhaps red apples. But there is a fair amount of butter coming off of this beer that is just too hard to ignore. It does have the usual toffee and toasted, nuttiness of a brown ale, but a lot of flaws as well.

T: Jesus this is bad. How strong is this beer because it tastes pretty boozy. Buttered toast with some notes of dark fruits and a definite green apple punch to it. Toffee and and a nice nuttiness are not enough to save this one.

M: Medium in body with a moderate level of carbonation.

O: Seems so strange. I love Anchor's beers but this was just awful. I'd be willing to give a bottle a shot, but Beachwood is a top bar, so I don't think it's any fault of theirs. Gave my glass to a couple other people to make sure I wasn't imagining things and consensus was that this beer tasted terrible.

2.52/5  rDev -31.7%

Bottled 2YX (Whatev that means)

Pours a nice cinnamon brown with some etched surface foam that is oat colored. Smells of toasted oats, some malt syrup, smacks cereal, and bit of cardboard. Smells sweet. Flavor is toasted and sweet oats, some cola, some bakin soda flavors. The body on this is surprisingly empty with carb and an off dry finish. I’m not impressed ewith this beer.

2.54/5  rDev -31.2%

$2.09 for a 12oz bottle @ BevCo. Brewed with 2-row pale, caramel, and munich, hopped with Citra. 6.0% ABV.

Pours out to a sparkingly clear mahogany, forming a tall creamy tan head with excellent retention and solid sheets of lace. Mild to moderate carbonation. The aroma is that of a pale ale, with nice citric hops sitting on top of a malt base with toffee with the suggestions of hazelnut or walnuts. Mouthfeel is smooth, medium bodied, with a light acidity. It's a little watery feeling. The taste is pretty good...a recap of the aroma with a nice balance between the flavors, however as I get further into the beer, I pick up on wet cardboard and newspaper and slight fusels, like an open fermentation that was a little too warm. I wonder if they used their normal yeast strain on this because it tastes a little different than their other beers. Not a very clean example of the style.

Brown ales in general are not my favorite, and I don't really enjoy this one either. As far as brown ales go, I don't think it's very good. I'd rather have Bells Best Brown, Moose Drool, or Goose Islands Winter mild, which are much much better.

2.61/5  rDev -29.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Poured from a bottle into a standard pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear dark amber color with two fingers of off white head that fade to a ring around the edge of the glass.

Smell: Really sweet, very ripe dark fruit and some brown sugar. Lots o malt, too sweet.

Taste: Not as sweet as the smell, thank God, but still too much ripe fruit sweetness for a brown ale. Malty in the finish. I was really hoping the hops would play more of a role here.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, mild carbonation, the finish is slightly dry.

Overall: Reminds me of a bad homebrew, not particularly professional tasting. Way too much sweetness for the style with nothing to balance it out.

2.68/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Poured a dark, yet transparent reddish brown. Head is minimal and tan. Bubbly and frothy. Leaves unconnected lace rings.

S: Cocoa, citrus , crackers, a little spice and caramel are the things that pop out here.

T: Immediate strange twang of tart sting that is not pleasing. The back of the beer is sweet, and bitter with some light but lingering citrus notes with elements of bakers chocolate, nuts, and burnt caramel. But that strange initial taste kinda of kills it here.

M: Light and watery. Soft carbonation. Not much else to note.

O: Not a fan and an Anchor disappointment

2.7/5  rDev -26.8%

A-Pours a dark, yet transparent reddish brown. Head is minimal and tan. Bubbly and frothy. Leaves unconnected lace rings.

S-Cocoa and caramel are the first two things that pop out here. A bit nutty and the yeast is apparent too.

T-The flavor really surprised me. It has a strange twinge of tart sting that is not pleasing. The back of the beer is sweet, and creamy with notes of chocolate, nuts, and burnt caramel. But that strange initial taste kinda of kills it here. Also has an unattractive metallic twang too.

M-Light and watery. Soft carbonation. Not much else to note.

O/D-Not a fan of this beer. Two separate parts of the taste (the odd initial flavor, and the metallic flavor) are unappealing to me. Glad I only bought a single of this.

2.72/5  rDev -26.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Bought a single bottle from Beers of the World on 1/4/14. Poured into a Pint glass, served cool.

Appearance: Rich but utterly translucent Siena brown with a big Khaki head. Nice lacing.

Aroma: unexpected woody, mint overlays chocolatey malt.

Mouthfeel: decent at first but succeeding sips seem thin and flat in the mouth

Taste: vegetal hops cover the malt.

Notes: trying to determine if this somehow skunked. If it isn't then the spearmint like taste is both unexpected and undesired. Malt is too thin for the style, IMO.

I am very disappointed by this beer as I am a big fan of Anchor Brewing. Glad I only bought a single bottle.

2.76/5  rDev -25.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

"Anchor's roots date back to the early 1850's, when pioneer brewer Gottlieb Brekle arrived in San Francisco. In 1871, he bought a beer-and-billiards saloon near Russian Hill, transforming it into the brewery that-25 years later- was renamed Anchor. We celebrate 140+ years of San Francisco brewing tradition and the legacy of our Anchor brewers with this classic all-malt, single-hop brown ale." Brewed in the style of a Brown Ale. Bought on an extreme discount at Green's at Ponce, $2.49 per a sixer. Bottling date is November 9, 2011. Hopefully these have held up.

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle to a snifter. Served north of 48º Fahrenheit.

(Appearance) Pours a fizzy cream head of a burgundy-white tone over a very hazy and dense brown-red body. Carbonation is lively and plentiful. Retention is average, and lacing is thin and spotty. 3.25

(Smell) Malt body is a subtle, mildly sweet malt. Very little hop character left to discern. Aroma has a notable presence of intense fruity esters, grapes and sweet juicy apples mostly. Signs of a very dated beer- the malt bill and the hop character were not bold enough to keep this from giving in to age. What is left is something most vinous and cider-like- and otherwise, very clean. 2.75

(Taste) Flavor is very much the same as the aroma, with a subtle, clean graham-cracker, slightly bready malt sweetness and a strong fruity boozed-up finish. Hop character is nowhere to be found, and the malt is easily overshadowed by the yeast notes. 2.5

(Mouthfeel) Texture is smooth, with a mild airy carbonation presence. Alcohol presence is very strong, easily dominates the beer's flavor profile. Body is light for a brown ale, light+ overall. 3

(Overall) Always check your dates. I can tell that this beer would be very mildly flavored and simple when young, but even that would be more enjoyable than a beer that has an intense boozy yeast character. Will try again at a later date. 3

Anchor Brewing Company's
Brekle's Brown All Malt Single Hop Brown Ale

2.79/5  rDev -24.4%

On tap @ Hop Devil Grill. Pint glasses are not yet extinct.

Mud brown & amber color. Decent clarity. Transparent inch of off-white head.

Doughy, barely nutty aroma. Ashy. Served too cold. Becomes more crusty as it warms.

Flavor is acrid, nearly burnt malt. Dry toast. Earthy, root flavors. Bit of liquorice & faint coffee. Not very caramelized at all. Moderately bitter.

Stiff carbonation that probably isn't what Anchor intended. Medium light body; textured feel. Alcohol isn't very noticeable for 6%.

Decent bitter American brown, but there wasn't much nuttiness/depth in the roast.

2.8/5  rDev -24.1%

I had a draft of this at Cannibal, a new beer bar and charcuterie on Manhattan's east side. Not my favorite brown, which was not my favorite style but it was worth trying.

Appearance was a medium brown with a fizzy head. Not too much carbonation.

Aroma was a little toasty, a little bit of cocoa and some hops as well.

Flavor was a little thin. I found it to be a little bit lacking.

Not really very good.

2.82/5  rDev -23.6%

Can't really tell why I decided to review this beer. Since my last review I've tried my share of stellar beers. I love Browns, so I picked up a 22oz of this at Total Wine Kennesaw (phenomenal place and good prices). I thought I'd give this one a swig.

A - Head is hanging on by a hair now that I've taken a few sips (and gulps) here and there. Deep red in color. It's a little cloudy.

S - Typical American Brown...a little hoppy on the nose. Bitterly sour hues. Nutty and yet, not mildly so. This is reminding me how much I have disliked every American Brown Ale I've tried...is this REALLY an American Brown. Buggs!

T - Not as sour and hoppy as I had expect from the smell. Sweet malty character shining through. The hoppiness is still there, but quickly fades, welcoming the next taste. Carmelly sweetness is definitely there.

O - Grant it, I wouldn't order this beer while out with friends. Although, if someone was to buy me this beer specifically, I'd drink it and enjoy it. On my scale from 0-100 I give it an 80.

I again realize that I am definitely an English Brown kind of guy.

2.84/5  rDev -23%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

I picked up a bottle of Anchor's Berkle's Brown last week for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. I don't have much experience with this brewery, I have had their Steam Beer a couple of times but have never reviewed it, I'm in a mood for a Brown Ale so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a cone shaped 12oz brown bottle poured into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok, it kind of has a classic look to it. It poured a nice slightly dark brown color that takes on a bright copper ruby color when held to the light. It had four fingers worth of fluffy tan head that died down to a thick layer that stayed till the end and left some spotty lacing. This is a great looking beer that looks really good in the glass.

S- The aroma starts off with tons of sweet malts that have a slight roast to them. After that I picked up a some earthy hops along with some noticeable fruity and citrus hops that was unexpected but made for a unique aroma. The aroma is unique with the very sweet malts and the fruity hops, but I prefer the traditional Brown Ale aromas.

T- The taste doesn't seem to be as sweet as the aroma but it still manages to be pretty sweet. The first thing I pick up are the sweet slightly roasted caramel malts. After that comes a weird hop combination that imparts and equal amount of fruity and grassy flavors. On the finish I get a sweet brown sugar like taste and a slightly lighter then medium amount of bitterness with malty and fruity hop aftertaste. I wasn't liking the flavor of this beer that much, it sure is unique for a Brown Ales, but I feel like the very sweet malts clash with the weird hop combo in this beer.

M- Somewhat smooth, a little creamy, a little sticky, medium bodied, with a medium amount of carbonation. I wish it was a little smoother and not sticky but other then that the mouthfeel was good.

Overall I wasn't impressed with this beer and I thought it was a pretty middle of road Brown Ale that sure was unique, but I found that malts seemed to clash with the hops. This beer didn't have that good of drinkability, I drank one and wouldn't want to drink another, too sweet, and the flavor doesn't do it for me. What I liked most about this beer was the way it looked, the color and head were on point, if this beer drank as good as it looked it would be pretty good. What I liked least about this beer was the aroma and taste, I didn't care for them that much and I thought they could have had much more balance to them. I wouldn't buy this beer again since I didn't enjoy it and I don;t recommend it, there are tons of better browns on the market for the same price. I had high hopes for this beer but it for sure didn't live up to them, I thought that the malts were just way too sweet and not that flavorful and the hops didn't work well with this beer. I am going steer clear of this beer from now on, but I am still down to try more of their beers, but this one didn't to it for me, better luck next time.

2.85/5  rDev -22.8%

Pours somewhat of a reddish brown. Big two finger off white almost tan rocky head. Pretty decent retention.
Aroma is caramel malts. dark fruit. Brown sugar. Slight roasty and a faint citrus hop aroma.
Taste is sweet caramel malts. Some roastiness and citrusy bitterness coming from the hops. Dark fruits. I don't think it really meshes too well. Kinda of all ver the place. Don't care for it that much.
Smooth and creamy mouthfeel medium bodied. Sometimes feels a little watery but it's clean with a lingering hop bitterness that offsets the sweetness of the malts. Unique.

2.86/5  rDev -22.5%

Appearance: Dark Brown clear
Smell:Malt I cant smell the hops
Taste: light hops smooth
mouthfeel: low in carbonation
overall:It was ok I had a lot of Malt taste almost no Hops it did not taste like a brown beer to me.this would be a good light beer to drink ain the day time relaxing

2.88/5  rDev -22%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

12 oz from sixer from Total Wine

A - dark brown with ruby highlights. Huge fluffy head after a moderately aggressive pour.

S - is it bad? Slightly sour. Some bread.

T - more sourness. Some piney hops.Bitterness. I noticed this with my first bottle last night, was hoping it was a result of a chocolate stout transition (and since I have four more), but this does not present on the palate well. Total Wine has the eerie distinction of the only place I have bought a beer and performed the dreaded drain pour. Mostly due to old product and poor handling. Not sure if this plays a role here. But the sourness and the fact that it foamed over the bottle top when removing the cap makes it likely. Booze on the finish.

M - solid. Carbonation is even, yet slightly watery.

O - Not the idea of a brown I had in mind. Others may have a different experience.

2.95/5  rDev -20.1%

473rd review on BA

App- a very light brown with just a tad of lace to it. A small 1/4 head as well.

Smell- The traditional roasty malty notes were gone. The citra was all I got. Didnt smell bad but just less traditional.

Taste- Not bad but a bit watery and too hop forward for my brown ale tastes.

Mouth- Almost light bodied and a bit higher in carbonation. Left a small watery hops note.

Drink- Too far away from what i was hoping. Probably wont come back to this one.

2.98/5  rDev -19.2%

Pours a shiny red colour, clear, with nice beige head; visible bubbles but a nice dense foamy top. Lace streaks around the glass. Good-looker.

Smells quite potent. Malty sweetness with a fair quantity of hot booze behind it. Slight weizeny esters - banana and vanilla, touch of coconut maybe and some brass. Could be more toned down heat-wise and yet more kick could be added, with hops or spice for balance. Not bad, though.

Taste is quite disappointing. Just lacks a lot of the character of the nose - grainy with a touch of rye bread, some corn notes and a distinct pear-apple ester. Hint of copper towards the back but ultimately finishes thin and flat, without really much flavour at all. Not offensive; not really anything. Like a hollowed-out shell of a nice American ale.

Bit of body to it, but not a lot of texture. Strikes me as dull.

Really needs a whole lot more done to it. It's bland, in spite of the hints it displays of bold flavours.

2.98/5  rDev -19.2%

A - Solid mahogany body with rusty red highlights. Nice khaki head with great retention and lace.

S - Sweet nose. Maple syrup, cranberry, strawberry jam, pecan pie, and caramel.

T - Tart lemon, touch of woody hop, and ice tea followed by a huge, sweet caramel malt center and finish.

M - Relatively light body. Ok carbonation.

O - The sweetness feels way out of balance, even with an aggressive lemon acidity.

3.01/5  rDev -18.4%

A: 650ml bottle poured into a snifter. Very dark metallic brown body with 2 finger of fluffy white head on an agressive pour. Short lasting medium lacing.

S: honestly, sweet booze.

T: less booze with a decent, thinly nutty body

M: nicely carbonated easy drink.

O: at $4.59 a bottle, a fine brown with a warming sensation. If you like the anchor steam stuff, this is up your ally.

3.02/5  rDev -18.2%

S: Light citrus, some ripe cantaloupe, some caramel sweetness.

L: Fairly clean reddish-brown, light tan, creamy head with great retention and lacing.

T: Toasty malt with a prominent citrus fruitiness. Medium low bitterness leading to some additional toasted malt with just a touch of malt. Fairly clean and semi-dry finish.

M: Medium bodied, medium carbonation.

Meh, not sure what the point of throwing citra hops in a brown ale. They just don't work here.

3.03/5  rDev -17.9%

Poured a lot darker than I had anticipated. More like a black porter than a brown beer. It had a nice creamy head, again reminding me of a Stout instead of a brown beer.
There wasn't alot going on with this one. I felt there was too much malt that made it somewhat not balanced.
Hops were almost non-existent
No specific flavours or aromas, fruits or really anything

3.06/5  rDev -17.1%

12oz bottle into tulip snifter.
bottled Feb. 18th, 2012

Pours dark red with a thick, foamy tan head.

Caramel malt as well as some mineral, earthy notes.

Follows the nose, caramel malts with some earthy mineral tones that I have generally found fairly common in Samuel Smith beers.

Medium body with prickly carbonation.

A decent beer, the mineral character was a bit much for my liking.

3.1/5  rDev -16%

Named after Anchor's first brewer Gottlieb Breckles and features the citra hop exclusively. Old brewer, newer hop.

Coppery brown and clear. Thin beige head quickly simmers to a thin collar of retention. Not a great looking beer but acceptable for the style. Anchor has the best shaped bottles in beer IMO.

Smells Anchor Steam-y. Just as Smuttynose has their own earthy Smuttynose-ness and Rogue has Pacman, I guess I'm detecting Anchor's house yeast byproduct. Tangerine, fruitcake, wet soil and chocolate cake minus the frosting round out the aroma.

Tastes unexpectedly fruity, borderline English pale ale fruity. Toasted bread tries to balance the fruit but the tangerine laden citra throws this beer askew. At 6% it's not really a session beer either.

Messy and all over the place. Not a fan.

Brekle's Brown from Anchor Brewing Company